SportsWrath

Leonard Williams...

Nas

37 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Dude is playing like a beast... unbelievable game he had last night. Never mind the QB sacks. The fact he had 5 QB hits is awesome... 

I don't recall feeling this great about a defense since the likes of Armstead, Strahan/Tuck & Peirce.    

Yeah before this game, I was hoping we could get him at a bargain price, say 4 years $48 million.

That's not happening now. He's probably going to get something more like $16-18mm per year.

Those of us, myself included, who screamed in the offseason "They better not lock this guy up in a massive contract!" now have egg on our faces because we probably could have gotten him for the $12mm per year, rather than $16-18mm plus.

8 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Yeah before this game, I was hoping we could get him at a bargain price, say 4 years $48 million.

That's not happening now. He's probably going to get something more like $16-18mm per year.

Those of us, myself included, who screamed in the offseason "They better not lock this guy up in a massive contract!" now have egg on our faces because we probably could have gotten him for the $12mm per year, rather than $16-18mm plus.

In retrospect, I still think it was the right thing to do.   You have to earn what you make... also, there's no telling that a good chunk of his success is also do how the defense as a whole is playing and the supporting cast around him.   Then he has to love the New York Giants for snatching him from the pit that was the new york jets (see what I did there?).   :flex:

19 minutes ago, mastershake said:

To be fair no one knew how this was going to turn out.

He only had what? 3.5 sacks on two years prior and a god awful 8 game stretch with the Giants.

If Gettleman have him 12 million a year contract people would of burnt Giants stadium to the ground.

I mean look a Peppers dude is heading for a massive contract as well, if they don't give him an extension, after next season but I'd still make the trade 9 times out of 10.

But good for Williams he's excelling under Coach Chaos and Graham, I'm willing to bet he goes elsewhere and he isn't having anything close to the success he is here, and hopefully he remembers that come free agency but probably not lol 

4 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

To be fair no one knew how this was going to turn out.

He only had what? 3.5 sacks on two years prior and a god awful 8 game stretch with the Giants.

If Gettleman have him 12 million a year contract people would of burnt Giants stadium to the ground.

I mean look a Peppers dude is heading for a massive contract as well, if they don't give him an extension, after next season but I'd still make the trade 9 times out of 10.

But good for Williams he's excelling under Coach Chaos and Graham, I'm willing to bet he goes elsewhere and he isn't having anything close to the success he is here, and hopefully he remembers that come free agency but probably not lol 

Dave Gettleman did, it is why he traded for him.

4 hours ago, mastershake said:

Probably not because Giants were working on long term contract but were also ok with franchise tagging him.  If the Giants were able to get him to sign at $14-$15 million a season for four years, Williams would already be locked in.  Williams is definitely going to cost us upwards of $18 million a season now and the salary cap is going down next year.

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Dave Gettleman did, it is why he traded for him.

I don't even think Gettleman knew he would have this type of season.

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Probably not because Giants were working on long term contract but were also ok with franchise tagging him.  If the Giants were able to get him to sign at $14-$15 million a season for four years, Williams would already be locked in.  Williams is definitely going to cost us upwards of $18 million a season now and the salary cap is going down next year.

Which is why I have no problem with Williams leaving.

We were his "prove it" team and it worked out in his favor, he should be allowed to go make his money where he wants.

Since we will possible be picking outside of the top 15 then we don't get those WRs this year at the top of the draft so let's go pass rusher, there's some good ones in this draft who won't cost us multiple players just to keep on this team.

Also between Tomlinson and Williams I'm in agreement that the choice is Williams however with what we pay Williams we could probably keep both Tomlinson and Ryan and even have enough left over for a guy like Niko.

You can't keep one guy and let the other core guys go.

It's a shame but as Temp said the cap is going down and we have a lot of young core players to pay.

We need to let some go.

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Also between Tomlinson and Williams I'm in agreement that the choice is Williams however with what we pay Williams we could probably keep both Tomlinson and Ryan and even have enough left over for a guy like Niko.

You can't keep one guy and let the other core guys go.

It's a shame but as Temp said the cap is going down and we have a lot of young core players to pay.

We need to let some go.

Honestly I think we should keep both players... there's something about continuity...  A player should want to stay on a good team... 

17 minutes ago, Nas said:

Honestly I think we should keep both players... there's something about continuity...  A player should want to stay on a good team... 

Easy now. 

We might squeek into the playoffs but let's say a team like the Chiefs come knocking and offer him 14 million a year to pair with Jones he shouldn't hesitate in a heartbeat.

Footballs a business and every play can be the last of your career, get the money when you can and hopefully on a team that can win games.

We throw money at Tomlinson and Williams then we probably lose guys like Peppers and Barkley, Gates, and then have to worry about paying Jones, etc the year after.

12 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Easy now. 

We might squeek into the playoffs but let's say a team like the Chiefs come knocking and offer him 14 million a year to pair with Jones he shouldn't hesitate in a heartbeat.

Footballs a business and every play can be the last of your career, get the money when you can and hopefully on a team that can win games.

We throw money at Tomlinson and Williams then we probably lose guys like Peppers and Barkley, Gates, and then have to worry about paying Jones, etc the year after.

I'm pretty sure a team like the Chiefs would wan to focus on keeping their guys too... I understand this is a business but I'd fathom that most players would accept slightly less money to stay at home (Home: A place/system they're already familiar with)...

1 hour ago, Nas said:

I'm pretty sure a team like the Chiefs would wan to focus on keeping their guys too... I understand this is a business but I'd fathom that most players would accept slightly less money to stay at home (Home: A place/system they're already familiar with)...

You would think so but that same team would have no problem turning around and cutting a player when they play like shit or get put on IR in a contract year.

It's a business and players know that teams don't give a flying fuck about them when they are no longer part of the "team"