SportsWrath

Giants place UFA tender on Markus Golden

Mr. P

1 minute ago, Nas said:

The man showed up to play more than any other player in our front 7... I'm not sure why they're dicking around with paying him.  

It could be that he wants more than what the Giants are willing to pay.

I mean people had a problem with Vernon making the money that he did and him and Golden have practically the same impact on the field.

Both of them are not really play makers they are serviceable.

33 minutes ago, mastershake said:

LOL...who were the ones saying Golden was going to get $10mm per year?

He's going to end up with this one year prove it $5mm deal yet again.

It looks like Golden is the only one saying Goldens getting 10 mil.  

59 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I really thought he'd get close to the $10 million per.

10.5 sacks, that usually gets you paid. 

I think that's normally the case for a guy getting 10 plus sacks, but I think people might be thinking his injury history prior to 2019 gives reason to be cautious. Plus other factors could be his age (29, not a baby anymore), scheme fit (maybe people only see him as a 3-4 OLB or situational pass rusher), etc.

Another factor is his side. We don't know what offers he got that he refused because he wanted more, offers that are now off the table once teams moved on. For all we know, he could have turned down close to 10 mil, like a 3 year $24mm contract.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

I really thought he'd get close to the $10 million per.

10.5 sacks, that usually gets you paid. 

12 to 15 gets you the 10+ million.

And those sacks usually come at times when the game is on the line or matters.

Not in blow out losses on bottom of the league defences.

If he honestly thought he would get as much he should fire his agent lol 

Look, the man did very well given no one else on that DL did shit... remember having a good DL on the other side helps (the Strahan effect).   This organization spends a lot of money one mediocre players but then gets really cheap when it's one of our own.  I'm not saying the guy was a super star but his play stood out on the field.... he played really hard. 

19 hours ago, mastershake said:

LOL...who were the ones saying Golden was going to get $10mm per year?

He's going to end up with this one year prove it $5mm deal yet again.

The market never materialized.  Top 4 Edge defenders at the start of FA:  Jadeveon Clowney, Markus Golden, Everson Griffen, and Clay Matthews.  None of them have been signed.  It has been argued that Clowney is the reason and I doubt it.

6 hours ago, Tempest said:

The market never materialized.  Top 4 Edge defenders at the start of FA:  Jadeveon Clowney, Markus Golden, Everson Griffen, and Clay Matthews.  None of them have been signed.  It has been argued that Clowney is the reason and I doubt it.

Yeah outside of Clowney all of these guys are on the other side of their careers in terms of age, no team wants to throw massive contracts at near or over 30 players who might take that sudden drop in play.

Clowneys biggest problem is he think his youth with earn him 20+ million when. He's failed to finish a season healthy more than once. Even in his best season in 2017 he has had a drop in play since then.

Reminds of of two year ago when the safety market was flooded with vet talent and no body was signing them until after the draft and even then it was mostly two year deals.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:04 AM, Tempest said:

Clowney is much more (non-football) name than player. Look at his entire career and you'll see an injury prone player who's competent but nothing special. 

Also I have no idea why every time I reply to this thread it puts a Temp quote in there.