SportsWrath

Rumor of a done deal with Leonard Williams

Mr. P

What frustrating about this is that i think it pretty much resigning Tomlinson next year. Again at some point we have to look to start keeping these draft picks as opposed to going out and getting free agents only to get capped and losing these guys only to watch them go elsewhere and excel a la Lindval Joseph and Barry Cofield.

2 hours ago, boohyah said:

What frustrating about this is that i think it pretty much resigning Tomlinson next year. Again at some point we have to look to start keeping these draft picks as opposed to going out and getting free agents only to get capped and losing these guys only to watch them go elsewhere and excel a la Lindval Joseph and Barry Cofield.

2 hours ago, boohyah said:

I mean, not resigning Tomlinson.

Graham runs a lot of traditional four man fronts with two big guys stuffing the A gaps, Williams isnt going to be one of those guys.

I assume he's going to be used more as a DE.

My hope is Tomlison and Lawrence are the DTs for the next 10 years.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Glad we gave up on BJ Hill after half a season. 

With this new coaching staff you never know.

The thing they have been saying throughout the draft interviews is "Everyone is competing for a spot day one".

I mean it all depends on Hills play, he keeps playing like he did last year then he isnt worth a roster spot, he returns to the level he was at his rookie year then why not try to keep all three guys?

13 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

With this new coaching staff you never know.

The thing they have been saying throughout the draft interviews is "Everyone is competing for a spot day one".

I mean it all depends on Hills play, he keeps playing like he did last year then he isnt worth a roster spot, he returns to the level he was at his rookie year then why not try to keep all three guys?

I'm talking about it from the Gettleman/Williams trade lens. Overall I still believe in Getty but I don't understand giving up on a guy that had a sophomore slump (as many players do) to break the bank on a guy that's had one good season followed by three mediocre ones. 

9 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I really think he didn't put in the work in a very noticeable way. 

I think you're probably right, but again, I don't think the solution is to throw draft picks and money at another career underachiever. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I'm talking about it from the Gettleman/Williams trade lens. Overall I still believe in Getty but I don't understand giving up on a guy that had a sophomore slump (as many players do) to break the bank on a guy that's had one good season followed by three mediocre ones. 

Oh I don't disagree I think if Getty gets fired next off season, which at this point is as likely as he is staying, the Williams trade will be one of the nails in the coffin.

I hated the trade and I still do.

I just hope if they do resign Williams that it's in the 6 to 7 million a year range.

50 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Oh I don't disagree I think if Getty gets fired next off season, which at this point is as likely as he is staying, the Williams trade will be one of the nails in the coffin.

I hated the trade and I still do.

I just hope if they do resign Williams that it's in the 6 to 7 million a year range.

Honestly I could deal with it at that price. 

Whatever he is going to get paid is what it is.  Probably getting over $10 million a season for the next 4 years.

Now Leonard Williams has to to go out on the field this season and exceed the expectations of fans.

I was wondering about that.

The team has been pretty tight under the new Judge regime.

Suddenly inside sources are saying they are close to a deal with Williams.

Wonder what they figure another team will offer Williams in terms of contract numbers and what they are willing to match.

RapSheet The #Giants have an interesting decision to make late this week: Do they franchise tag star DL Leonard Williams? Sources say the two sides are not close on a contract extension and Williams will have a strong market. The tag is a possibility, but so is letting him hit the market.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Perfect.

Chris Jones, here we come baby. 6 years $135 million. Do it Dave!

Him, Logan Ryan and Conklin from the Titans, Van Noy from the Pats, Robby Anderson from the Jets, my current list of FA hopefuls from who I want most to least.

Draft Beckton if you value Jones career longevity or Simmons/Okudah to get a playmaker on defense. Young is the pick no matter what if he falls to 4.

Dont trade back unless its with Miami for an extra first this year.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Him, Logan Ryan and Conklin from the Titans, Van Noy from the Pats, Robby Anderson from the Jets, my current list of FA hopefuls from who I want most to least.

Draft Beckton if you value Jones career longevity or Simmons/Okudah to get a playmaker on defense. Young is the pick no matter what if he falls to 4.

Dont trade back unless its with Miami for an extra first this year.

Why Logan Ryan and not Byron Jones? From what I've read, Logan Ryan played mostly as a slot corner. I feel we need a solid veteran outside CB on this team, to pair with Beal, Baker, and Haley.

26 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Why Logan Ryan and not Byron Jones? From what I've read, Logan Ryan played mostly as a slot corner. I feel we need a solid veteran outside CB on this team, to pair with Beal, Baker, and Haley.

Byron Jones is going to command a big pay day, 14-15+ million a year, he's the best CB this FA pool, and they get paid.

Between a big time defender Chris Jones/Clowney taking up 20-25 million, and some Oline help Conklin/Costanzo/Bulaga probably getting 10-15 you are already 30 to 40 million into the cap space.

I feel Ryan, who is statistically better than Jones, is only going to command a 7-8 million type of year contract, and he can play outside. He was a slot corner on a team stacked at CB, he would be the second best DB on the team day one.

I'd much rather have Ryan, still a good corner and run stuffer, and a few other pieces like Van Noy, a TE, or more Oline, whatever, with the 7-8 million we will save.

18 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Byron Jones is going to command a big pay day, 14-15+ million a year, he's the best CB this FA pool, and they get paid.

Between a big time defender Chris Jones/Clowney taking up 20-25 million, and some Oline help Conklin/Costanzo/Bulaga probably getting 10-15 you are already 30 to 40 million into the cap space.

I feel Ryan, who is statistically better than Jones, is only going to command a 7-8 million type of year contract, and he can play outside. He was a slot corner on a team stacked at CB, he would be the second best DB on the team day one.

I'd much rather have Ryan, still a good corner and run stuffer, and a few other pieces like Van Noy, a TE, or more Oline, whatever, with the 7-8 million we will save.

I'm okay with paying Bryon Jones 5 years $75-80 million.

Overall, if we have ~$72mm available, after factoring in draft picks, my plan would be:

DL Chris Jones: 6 years $135 million. First year cap number could be ~$18mm.

CB Bryon Jones: 5 years $75 million. First year cap number could be ~$12mm.

On OT, I doubt they sign an OL to a big contract, since I suspect they like Nick Gates at RT, plus I believe they are banking on an OL in the draft; so I am going to cross this off my list.

C Graham Glasgow: 5 years $60 million. First year cap  ~$9mm

LB: Cory Littleton: 5 years $70 million. First year cap ~$12mm

Edge: I'd bring back Markus Golden. I think he won't command a huge contract. 3 years $20mm. First year cap $6mm

Total spending on the above: 18 + 12 + 9 + 12 + 6 = $57mm. Leaving us with $15mm leftover for whatever other role players/backups we need. 

Meanwhile, after we draft an OL, cut Nate Solder and save an additional $6.5mm.

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I'm okay with paying Bryon Jones 5 years $75-80 million.

Overall, if we have ~$72mm available, after factoring in draft picks, my plan would be:

DL Chris Jones: 6 years $135 million. First year cap number could be ~$18mm.

CB Bryon Jones: 5 years $75 million. First year cap number could be ~$12mm.

On OT, I doubt they sign an OL to a big contract, since I suspect they like Nick Gates at RT, plus I believe they are banking on an OL in the draft; so I am going to cross this off my list.

C Graham Glasgow: 5 years $60 million. First year cap  ~$9mm

LB: Cory Littleton: 5 years $70 million. First year cap ~$12mm

Edge: I'd bring back Markus Golden. I think he won't command a huge contract. 3 years $20mm. First year cap $6mm

Total spending on the above: 18 + 12 + 9 + 12 + 6 = $57mm. Leaving us with $15mm leftover for whatever other role players/backups we need. 

Meanwhile, after we draft an OL, cut Nate Solder and save an additional $6.5mm.

First time I’ve seen Littleton brought up around here.  He’s a top priority imo

3 minutes ago, Herc said:

First time I’ve seen Littleton brought up around here.  He’s a top priority imo

Yes, especially given we're so thin at the position, plus if we go 4-3, he can take on the WLB position, while in 3-4 can take one of the MLB positions alongside Connolly. He has position versatility.

Speaking of which, I presume Connolly is expected to be ready for this season?