SportsWrath

Davis Webb wavied.

BlueInCanada

So given that, you have free reign to just make up whatever you want now?

I hereby proclaim that Schumer and Gettleman kept Tanney over Webb out of ego.

So silly. All we can do is examine what we know.

Here we go again.

Lotsa armchair GMs in here.

Send the Giants your resume. Tell them about your madden drafts and the 27 minutes you spend on YouTube watching highlights

Again, the actual GM had Webb taking 2nd string snaps all summer. So I guess you know better than him too.

Phil Simms came out and said on NFL radio that NFL front office guys have told him that they'll cut good players to hold on to their draft picks even if the picks aren't very good.

Again, Webb will probably be a career backup but if Tree's scenario happens it's Webb who I'd want under center. The other two guys look flat-out terrible... Lauletta doesn't even look like an NFL caliber QB.

I still think it's a mistake to release the guy who's taken 2 years of 2nd team snaps for a career camp fodder victim. Tanney isn't a "veteran" of anything but renting UHauls. If they'd replaced him with Moore or Anderson then fine, give Lulu the 2nd's and maybe by week 4 or 5 he's got a grip on things, but they're going into the season with zero experience behind Eli.

I still think it's a mistake to release the guy who's taken 2 years of 2nd team snaps for a career camp fodder victim. Tanney isn't a "veteran" of anything but renting UHauls. If they'd replaced him with Moore or Anderson then fine, give Lulu the 2nd's and maybe by week 4 or 5 he's got a grip on things, but they're going into the season with zero experience behind Eli.

You know Tanney spent the last two or three season on the titians

So, why veteran Alex Tanney and rookie Kyle Lauletta instead of Webb, the second-year man most had assumed was the No. 2 quarterback since he spent the spring and summer taking nearly all the second-team reps?

“I feel like they are better choices for us now,” Shurmur said.

“I think I mentioned long ago there was no depth chart behind Eli (Manning). We were trying to figure out who the guys playing quarterback were going to be behind Eli. He got a lot of reps, and I think it was probably that where people start to assume because he’s taking second string reps that he’s a second string quarterback, and it didn’t play out that way.”

Shurmur called Webb “a young player that competed hard.”

“There are so many things about him that are good,” Shurmur said. “He’s an outstanding worker, he cares about the game a great deal, and I’m hopeful he’s going to get another opportunity.”

So, why Lauletta and Tanney instead of Webb?

On Lauletta:

“I like the fact that he’ll decide what he’s looking at, see it and pull the trigger,” Shurmur said. “He’s very decisive in what he does. He’s a gamer of sorts and we’re looking forward to working with that.”

On Tanney:

“I do like having a veteran presence in that group,” Shurmur said. “Here’s the thing with a veteran backup quarterback. They can go in and function with very few reps and I think that’s an attribute that I look for in a guy that could potentially be a backup to a guy like Eli, because they don’t get that many reps during the training sessions.

Shurmur was asked if it hurts to cut players like Webb and Darian Thompson, who were recent third-round picks.

“Really, at some point, regardless of where you’re drafted, once you’re settled in as a player on the team, that kind of goes away. We’re all out here trying to earn a spot every day, players and coaches. So, at some point, whether you’re drafted in the third round or the fifth round, that sort of goes away at some point and you play it out,” Shurmur said.

Asked a second time about cutting a recent third-round pick, Shurmur reiterated his answer.

“Let’s forget for a minute he was a third round pick,” he said. “He was on our team as a Giant and we watched him go through what we do in training camp and what we do in practice and we made a decision to move on and go with the other guys. Let’s forget for a minute that he was a third round pick. I really do mean that. At some point, that all goes away.”

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/9/3/17815134/ny-giants-news-pat-shurmur-kyle-lauletta-alex-tanney-better-choices-for-us-than-davis-webb

Phil Simms came out and said on NFL radio that NFL front office guys have told him that they'll cut good players to hold on to their draft picks even if the picks aren't very good.

Again, Webb will probably be a career backup but if Tree's scenario happens it's Webb who I'd want under center. The other two guys look flat-out terrible... Lauletta doesn't even look like an NFL caliber QB.

Phil Simms is losing it. That guy def has CTE and not even bigelow green tea can save him

I do like having a veteran presence in that group, Shurmur said. Heres the thing with a veteran backup quarterback. They can go in and function with very few reps and I think thats an attribute that I look for in a guy that could potentially be a backup to a guy like Eli, because they dont get that many reps during the training sessi

Honestly I'd probably go for Webb if Tanney came in and stunk up the joint after a game or two.

Just someone who could go out there and haul the ball downfield to OBJ/Shepard and now Lattimore.

I don't disagree with the moves, Laluletta is your QB, not a QB from a previous GM/Coach, and Tanney is the vet (albeit not good one).

Maybe I always just viewed Webb as another Carr, Hefty Lefty, Nassib, etc just a career backup who is doing nothing more than holding the clip board, so his release didnt phase me, and neither will Lauletta when the time more then likely comes.

It's not every day you can have your back up and come in and win games, the Egils hit magic with Foles, for 31 other teams the rarely have that type of luxury.

This year has always been ride or die on Eli, no matter who we cut or got on the team, that was never gonna change.

Unless we go out and trade for a guy like Bridgewater or something.