SportsWrath

2016 Draft Day Thread.

Lughead

Most hilarious part of the draft... Willie Beavers gets selected, Mayock says, "Now, Rich, I'm a Beavers guy." The panel starts snickering and chuckles, and pull it back together... seconds later, very next pick, Bears take Deion Bush... now they are REALLY trying to hold it together, when Mayock says, "Bush caught my eye at the East-West game..." AAAAND it's all over, they all losing it. Throw to break, Rich says when the come back, that they've collected themselves, but, "If the next guys is named Johnson I'm walking out of here." LOL.

Most hilarious part of the draft... Willie Beavers gets selected, Mayock says, "Now, Rich, I'm a Beavers guy." The panel starts snickering and chuckles, and pull it back together... seconds later, very next pick, Bears take Deion Bush... now they are REALLY trying to hold it together, when Mayock says, "Bush caught my eye at the East-West game..." AAAAND it's all over, they all losing it. Throw to break, Rich says when the come back, that they've collected themselves, but, "If the next guys is named Johnson I'm walking out of here." LOL.

My favorite is still "We're going to see a lot of Cox today." - Kenny Albert

Seriously, I'm not going to knock the kid. I hope he's great. I just will wait to see it. Until then, he's a 4th round linebacker, which makes it better than a 5th or 6th round linebacker.

If Jim is right that he's better than Ragland, I'm shipping him some Chicago deep dish at the end of the season.

Go Giants.

elusive, can't pass block. okay then, welcome aboard, thanks in advance for putting the QB on IR.

While his relatively high-cut frame isn't ideal for pass protection, Perkins shows good awareness to chip as well as the toughness to square up blitzing linebackers

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1996577/paul-perkins

Willing to stick his nose in against the blitz.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/paul-perkins?id=2555460

So the Perkins pick is basically an admission that Williams is s bust, and that Reese has given up on filling the right side of the O'Line.

or simply they thought the value was too good to pass up and he was much better than any o-lineman they could take there.

elusive, can't pass block. okay then, welcome aboard, thanks in advance for putting the QB on IR.

Mayock glowed about his pass blocking.

I preferred more physical running backs that were still available, but talent-wise, Perkins was right in that group. With the talent that was still available, I was definitely expecting a RB. I really liked Jonathan Williams from Arkansas, Alex Collins from Arkansas a bit less, and Jordan Howard. Williams, without the medical issue, would've been my pick, but the problem with him was he suffered a broken foot and had to have surgery. So Perkins was in this group in terms of talent.

Perkins did impress me with his athleticism and movement ability. Sy'56 said he was his 3rd ranked running back, and gave a 2nd round grade on him. Said his upside comp is Lesean McCoy... that is pretty high praise. I'm going to check the numbers again but as I recall, he had a phenomenal combine... this is one of the better athletes at the RB position in this draft. Pass catching ability plus plus, so he can be an every down RB. This is not a reach pick at all, and we'll see. My only question with him was the lack of thickness in the legs, would he be able to withstand the physicality of the NFL long-term. But this is an athlete out of the backfield that is tools-rich.

Sy'56's take:

3 – PAUL PERKINS – 5’10/208 – UCLA: 79

Fourth year junior. Team’s leading rusher in the 2014 and 2015 seasons respectively despite battling a nagging knee injury this past fall. Perkins may not have the body or running style to be an every down back, but his ability to make something out of nothing cannot go overlooked. He has the rare, hard to find ability to completely change direction while moving at full speed at anytime. His top end speed and lack of size may limit his touches week in, week out however he is a prime candidate for a committee approach. If he can find an offense that needs someone to offset a between the tackles, chain moving bruiser, Perkins will excel. I have a higher grade on Perkins than what I see out there. He has the kind of talent that can change how an offense approaches thing, which ended up happening at UCLA after 2013. Perkins may not have the ideal situation here in NY because of Vereen’s presence, but NYG hasn’t had a back that can move in and out of traffic like this since the early days of Tiki Barber. He may not be the ideal every down guy, but he is a dangerous playmaker that defenses are afraid to see with the ball in space.

Upside Pro Comparison: Lesean McCoy – BUF

OK, so combine results, put up a respectable 19 reps on the bench, 4.54 40 time... same as Derrick Henry and faster than Kenneth Dixon, tied for 11th at his position. 10'4" broad jump, really outstanding, 4th best among his position. Only a 32" vertical, though, that was kind of strange for as far as he jumped. So, very good athlete, I like the pick, and in the 5th round, great value for good RB's that I thought would go a round earlier.

I'm not mad at our draft so far, but I'm still very concerned about our OL. Even if we plug Bobby Hart into one of the 2 spots on the right we still need help and depth there.

I think they really wanted Conklin, but Tunsil messed that up. Ravens were very high on Tunsil and I think still almost went through with picking him despite the video, they had a PR nightmare with Ray Rice though so they decided no and went Stanley. Titans maybe trade up for Stanley instead of Conklin and Conklin ends up with the Giants if Tunsil didn't screw up

They are definitely going to do something in the next free agency period or trade for a tackle, maybe Anthony Davis. They simply can't go into 2016 with Newhouse at RT. However, we knew that they didn't have enough picks to address every hole on the roster, and they've done a good job of adding talent to both sides of the ball.