SportsWrath

Eric Weddle, anyone?

Gman329

Not young (31) but has some miles left. Could be a good mentor for Collins, too. Without knowing how much and how many years he wants, I'd definitely take a long look here.

Chargers won't tag Eric Weddle, who likely wouldn't have signed anyway
By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer
February 19, 2016 7:38 pm ET

We can make it official now: Eric Weddle will not be back with the San Diego Chargers next season. General manager Tom Telesco told the San Diego Union-Tribune that the team will not be using the franchise tag this year, which will make it the fifth consecutive year the Chargers have not used the tag.

Weddle, who would have received around $11 million under the tag, was the most likely candidate, but that will not be happening. "I don't foresee any scenario in which we'll use the franchise tag," Telesco said.

And since Weddle has no intention of signing with the Chargers long-term (he said inJanuary that he probably won't even speak to them ever again), his time with the team is now all but done. Weddle, 31, has been with San Diego for his entire nine-year NFL career.

He has made three Pro Bowls and also been named first-team All-Pro twice. During his career, Weddle ranks fourth among safeties in Pro Football Reference's Approximate Value, which attempts to assign a single number to every player season since 1950. In other words, Weddle is really good.

There are plenty of teams that will need safety help this offseason, and considering his play in 2015, Weddle likely has plenty left in the tank. He should have no shortage of suitors.

eric-weddle.jpgEric Weddle is moving on from the only NFL home he has ever known. (USATSI)

Before being put on IR after Week 13 this year (against his wishes) he hadn't missed a game since 2009 - Played all 16 games, racking nice numbers, for 5 straight years. IR this year was more about his running feud with the Chargers than an actual injury. See below.

When you think about it, after being in SD for all these years, could he walk into a better place than here? Flagship, classy franchise, NYC market...and they need a safety. Could be attractive to him. For the right price, I'm interested.

On December 20, 2015, Weddle stayed out during halftime to watch his daughter perform in the halftime show.[13] The Chargers were playing the Miami Dolphins.[13] Weddle did not ask permission to remain on the sideline to watch his daughter.[13] He did not show up in the locker room.[13] Team spokesman Bill Johnston said that it is mandatory for all players to be in the locker room during halftime.[13] As a result, Weddle was fined $10,000 dollars.[13] Weddle's agent, David Carter, said he planned to file a grievance with the NFL Players Association.[13] Weddle said that he felt disrespected by the way things were handled.[13] He had previously skipped voluntary workouts last offseason to show his displeasure with the Chargers not willing to give him a contract extension.[13]

Furthermore, Weddle was placed on injured reserve with a groin issue on December 28, 2015.[13] This occurred against his wishes

I wouldnt have a problem with this.

Guys is a solid starting safety and up till last year when the Chargers put him on IR for no reason that I can see, he's never missed a game.

He'd be able to mentor Collins and bring some leadership this team sorely lacks.

Heck he'd probably be cheaper then trying to keep Mook.

It makes so much sense that JR isnt even thinking about it.

I'd rather not, but only due to age. I'd like to see Tashaun Gipson in a Giants uniform asap instead.

Although if we were to rob San Diego of a DB I'd take a look at Patrick Robinson (CB). Not really sure about his injury history, but considering he's only given up 2 TDs in the last 2 years I'd at least want to know what his asking price is.

Thanks for the correction Gman329. I must have him confused with someone else in their secondary because I thought he'd missed significant time.

Me too. I think writers were even saying he was injury prone when they put him on trading block during the season

Seems age is the only concern. We let Antrell Rolle walk at that age and many, myself included, were glad to see it given the cost of keeping him. I think we need to pay a guy, but if given the choice, I'd pay a guy like Gipson. Although, the veteran presence I think is often overlooked.

Either way, one of those two should certainly be on the radar and the Giants shouldn't shy away from paying one of them well.

Seems age is the only concern. We let Antrell Rolle walk at that age and many, myself included, were glad to see it given the cost of keeping him. I think we need to pay a guy, but if given the choice, I'd pay a guy like Gipson. Although, the veteran presence I think is often overlooked.

Either way, one of those two should certainly be on the radar and the Giants shouldn't shy away from paying one of them well.

Agree with Gipson, value of vet presence (esp for Collins) and most importantly, get one of them!