SportsWrath

Upon further review 3rd and Goal

Lughead

What happened Lug? Besides Eli not taking a sack like he should have?

Whitlock ran in the hole to try to pick up two hole stoppers he only got one (classic 1 on 2* ) Schwartz had another guy. Schwartz got beat by his outside whitlock is buried. Middle guy(2*) is running free Jennings goes in straight up with no way to block with leverage. Guy(2*) bowls over Jennings now Schwartz's guy and guy (2*) are up in Elis grill. I do believe the play was designed for Beckham coming across the back of the endzone (he is out to the left you will see when beckham splits his cover guy and Randles guy the safety crashes the line leaving the center of the endzone wide open and you can see him going that direction until the camera pans away) but Eli had no time to let the play set up..... when he knew the play was a bust he should of took a sack no doubt. but as an end result of the game you can see why they were trying for 6 and a run would not of got in but a sack would of killed more time.

really if you dvrd the game go watch it.... I mean it was there just poor blocking.

Whitlock ran in the hole to try to pick up two hole stoppers he only got one (classic 1 on 2* ) Schwartz had another guy. Schwartz got beat by his outside whitlock is buried. Middle guy(2*) is running free Jennings goes in straight up with no way to block with leverage. Guy(2*) bowls over Jennings now Schwartz's guy and guy (2*) are up in Elis grill. I do believe the play was designed for Beckham coming across the back of the endzone (he is out to the left you will see when beckham splits his cover guy and Randles guy the safety crashes the line leaving the center of the endzone wide open and you can see him going that direction until the camera pans away) but Eli had no time to let the play set up..... when he knew the play was a bust he should of took a sack no doubt. but as an end result of the game you can see why they were trying for 6 and a run would not of got in but a sack would of killed more time.

really if you dvrd the game go watch it.... I mean it was there just poor blocking.

Like Bleedin I deleted it as soon as Witten scored.

My question is why in the holy hell are we running a pass play in the first place? Run the ball, take the time off the clock given Dallas had no time outs, and kick the field goal....if you don't score on the run.

Shit, we could've direct snapped it to a RB and let them run around for a few more seconds on 3rd down...and kicked a little longer of a field goal. We could've given Dallas the ball with literally 1/2 the time then what we did.

What a pathetic ending to a well fought game.

My question is why in the holy hell are we running a pass play in the first place? Run the ball, take the time off the clock given Dallas had no time outs, and kick the field goal....if you don't score on the run.

Shit, we could've direct snapped it to a RB and let them run around for a few more seconds on 3rd down...and kicked a little longer of a field goal. We could've given Dallas the ball with literally 1/2 the time then what we did.

What a pathetic ending to a well fought game.

The whole thing centered around - A FIELD GOAL DOES THE GIANTS NO GOOD!!!

Take two running plays in the 3rd and 4th downs. If you don't score - so what, you've burned up the clock and left Romo with horrible field position and no time to work a miracle.

KICKING THE FIELD GOAL WAS THE DUMBEST MOVE EVER - THERE WAS NOT ONE SINGLE THING TO BE GAINED BY KICKING A FIELD GOAL EXCEPT FOR THE COWBOYS BECAUSE IT STOPPED THE CLOCK AND GAVE THEM A CHANCE TO RETURN A KICKOFF TO GOOD FIELD POSITION.

Why, oh why, oh why did we kick a field goal. We didn't need it to win and it was nothing more than a coach decision to give the Cowboys a turnover.

The whole thing centered around - A FIELD GOAL DOES THE GIANTS NO GOOD!!!

Take two running plays in the 3rd and 4th downs. If you don't score - so what, you've burned up the clock and left Romo with horrible field position and no time to work a miracle.

KICKING THE FIELD GOAL WAS THE DUMBEST MOVE EVER - THERE WAS NOT ONE SINGLE THING TO BE GAINED BY KICKING A FIELD GOAL EXCEPT FOR THE COWBOYS BECAUSE IT STOPPED THE CLOCK AND GAVE THEM A CHANCE TO RETURN A KICKOFF TO GOOD FIELD POSITION.

Why, oh why, oh why did we kick a field goal. We didn't need it to win and it was nothing more than a coach decision to give the Cowboys a turnover.

Had we run the ball on 3rd down, the 40 seconds would run off to the snap of 4th down. Running on 4th down and not scoring would stop the clock at change of possession...so that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense unless you just snapped it and ran around with it to run off an additional 5 seconds. But, that would leave you allowing the Cowboys to kick the FG to tie and force overtime.

You have a point about 4th down, but I can't disagree too heavily with forcing the Cowboys to score a TD and not just a FG.

They kicked the FG to force Dallas to HAVE to score a touchdown instead of take it to overtime with a FG of their own.

You can debate the merits of that decision, but I'm sure that was the logic.

I understand that. It comes down to sending everyone back to elementary football school and re-taking the course, "Clock Management 101".

Shame is, we may have got the TD on 4th down try.

If the coaches decided to use both the 3rd and 4th down to try and punch it in, there's a damn good chance they'd have gotten in. If not, the clock would have been so detrimental to the Cowboys that nothing short of a Hail Mary pass could bring them back. They would have been working out of their end zone with about 15 seconds on the clock. And if they were lucky enough to get within field goal range and make it - we'd go to overtime, which sure beats the hell out of a loss in regulation.

I believe that they probably could've run it in if they decided they'd use both 3rd, and 4th down tries on the 1 yd line. It certainly looks like a smart move in hind sight.

If the coaches decided to use both the 3rd and 4th down to try and punch it in, there's a damn good chance they'd have gotten in. If not, the clock would have been so detrimental to the Cowboys that nothing short of a Hail Mary pass could bring them back. They would have been working out of their end zone with about 15 seconds on the clock. And if they were lucky enough to get within field goal range and make it - we'd go to overtime, which sure beats the hell out of a loss in regulation.

I believe that they probably could've run it in if they decided they'd use both 3rd, and 4th down tries on the 1 yd line. It certainly looks like a smart move in hind sight.

I really thought that was what they were going to do anyway, Eli looked over to Coughlin like he wanted to give it a 4th down try. for everything that happened in that game, they way we lost it was so stupid. then again, it seems only NY can come up with shit like that. I'm so glad we got those last two championshps because it's looking like a long time before we can contend again.

I really thought that was what they were going to do anyway, Eli looked over to Coughlin like he wanted to give it a 4th down try. for everything that happened in that game, they way we lost it was so stupid. then again, it seems only NY can come up with shit like that. I'm so glad we got those last two championshps because it's looking like a long time before we can contend again.

I was having deja vu of Matt Bryant (I believe) kicking the ball out of bounds on the kickoff several years back. Against those same Cowboys but on a Monday night. Quincy Carter completes a pass that sets Cundiff up for a field goal to send it to overtime. Cundiff wins it in overtime.

No matter what, the Giants will find a stupid way to lose the game.

I was having deja vu of Matt Bryant (I believe) kicking the ball out of bounds on the kickoff several years back. Against those same Cowboys but on a Monday night. Quincy Carter completes a pass that sets Cundiff up for a field goal to send it to overtime. Cundiff wins it in overtime.

No matter what, the Giants will find a stupid way to lose the game.

I just hope this is our " one stupid game " for the year. we always have one that gets under my skin for some reason.

I just hope this is our " one stupid game " for the year. we always have one that gets under my skin for some reason.

Me too. This game just won't let me go...it's like a pebble in my shoe and there's no way to take off the shoe and get rid of it. I haven't had a game gnaw at me like this one in a long time. The "comeback of the century by San Francisco" in the 2002 NFC Wild Card Game that knocked the Giants out after a huge lead was one that hung on me forever. And that was completely due to a bad call in which a flag was thrown after a completion that would seal the win for the Giants for "ineligible receiver" and review of the play it was discovered the receiver was completely eligible - so the call was bogus. It took away a win from the team and handed it over on a platter to San Francisco. In fact, the NFL actually apologized to the Giants' front office a week later after it was too late to do any good and had literally handed the 49'rs an undeserved win and sent the Giants home for the season. Now that I think of it...that's a pebble in my other shoe. Wish I hadn't even brought it up because now I will dwell on it.

In short - I can't get last night's game outa my head and it has ruined my day and is making me question my sanity.

As Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does"...and that last night was showing the world how stupid a football team can be by handing away a guaranteed win with a minute to go. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

IF anyone has recorded/tivoed last nights game. go to 1:43 left in the 4th quarter and watch the blocking assignments in slowmo starting with Whitlock (49) the on to Swartz and then on to Jennings.

Yep.

Two guys literally run right by all three of them without so much as a finger laid on them. You can check it out here. I said it before and I'll say it again... that Schwartz was one hell of a pickup... at least he held his block for 1.5 seconds.

Me too. This game just won't let me go...it's like a pebble in my shoe and there's no way to take off the shoe and get rid of it. I haven't had a game gnaw at me like this one in a long time. The "comeback of the century by San Francisco" in the 2002 NFC Wild Card Game that knocked the Giants out after a huge lead was one that hung on me forever. And that was completely due to a bad call in which a flag was thrown after a completion that would seal the win for the Giants for "ineligible receiver" and review of the play it was discovered the receiver was completely eligible - so the call was bogus. It took away a win from the team and handed it over on a platter to San Francisco. In fact, the NFL actually apologized to the Giants' front office a week later after it was too late to do any good and had literally handed the 49'rs an undeserved win and sent the Giants home for the season. Now that I think of it...that's a pebble in my other shoe. Wish I hadn't even brought it up because now I will dwell on it.

In short - I can't get last night's game outa my head and it has ruined my day and is making me question my sanity.

As Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does"...and that last night was showing the world how stupid a football team can be by handing away a guaranteed win with a minute to go. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

That isn't how the SF game went down, your memory must be getting fuzzy, BB. The punter, Matt Allen (?) took the poor snap and heaved a prayer down field. An eligible lineman was dragged down and the pass was incomplete. The NFL retrospectively admitted that the lineman was eligible and pass interference should have been called because he was literally tackled. The Giants should have got the ball at the one yard line and Matt Bryant (I believe, seems I'm using his name a lot) should have gotten the chance to kick that field goal again.

That isn't how the SF game went down, your memory must be getting fuzzy, BB. The punter, Matt Allen (?) took the poor snap and heaved a prayer down field. An eligible lineman was dragged down and the pass was incomplete. The NFL retrospectively admitted that the lineman was eligible and pass interference should have been called because he was literally tackled. The Giants should have got the ball at the one yard line and Matt Bryant (I believe, seems I'm using his name a lot) should have gotten the chance to kick that field goal again.

Well...you're right about my memory. Sucks to get old. I can't remember names for shit - even people I've known for years. Many details about the past are fuzzy. Might have a lot to do with how I spent the 60's.

I remember being livid and carried it around with me for days years on end. We had no business losing that game with the lead we had.

I remember last night's game very, very well...and I'm hoping for it's memory to become foggy ASAP.

Well...you're right about my memory. Sucks to get old. I can't remember names for shit - even people I've known for years. Many details about the past are fuzzy. Might have a lot to do with how I spent the 60's.

I remember being livid and carried it around with me for days years on end. We had no business losing that game with the lead we had.

I remember last night's game very, very well...and I'm hoping for it's memory to become foggy ASAP.

Well one thing about getting older... I'm not as livid as I used to be after losses... I remember a typical loss will leave me down until the next game... a loss like this makes me want to go choke a few people and smash a few things... nah not this time... between playing with Sophie and my 3 month old (Sephwan).. and the fact that stressing every play gives me a migraine, I've learned to just breath.... I would like to land a job in the Giants FO... I'm a #s geek... but until then, there are bigger things in life to worry about... Than fucking Coughin's Alzheimer.

The really sad thing about that call was that everyone in the stadium including the 69'ers groaned when that shit happened cause they clearly saw it for what it was PI... and ineligible lineman downfield...when a field goal is blown the tackles become eligible... basic shit there... My Old Man who hated the 69'ers and Broke Backs with a primordial HATE... (he hated the Giants too but would cheer for them against those teams) said if he would have been fined beyond all belief cause he would have excoriated the refs and the league for the robbery that was that call.

The really sad thing about that call was that everyone in the stadium including the 69'ers groaned when that shit happened cause they clearly saw it for what it was PI... and ineligible lineman downfield...when a field goal is blown the tackles become eligible... basic shit there... My Old Man who hated the 69'ers and Broke Backs with a primordial HATE... (he hated the Giants too but would cheer for them against those teams) said if he would have been fined beyond all belief cause he would have excoriated the refs and the league for the robbery that was that call.

1)We let them back in the game 2) snapping and holding was a problem all year that was never addressed because Fassel turned his back on special teams after the Sehorn incident. It was inevitable...