SportsWrath

Beckham wasn't ever 100% healthy

Treehugger

Yeah, but there's more money to be made from the next contract, not from a meaningless Pro Bowl game when you claim to be playing hurt.

if he makes it, injury free. All of the sponsors are there in one place. It is excellent exposure.

People say Coughlin is an asshole for trying to win games, if they didn't play Beckham those same people would say Coughlin's an asshole for not playing rookies.

Don't know that those people would push for Coughlin to play the rookie while injured though...

I'm no medical doctor so I can't begin to say whether or not Beckham was at risk for making the injury worse or complicating recovery or career or life when it comes to the hamstring. While our strength and conditioning folks have been called into question due to the high injury rates we seem to suffer, I would still think that a player who has shown as much ability as Beckham has would be protected moreso than others. I think the injury, while still nagging and apparent to Beckham, didn't limit him in any way.

Most people have aches and pains of course. He claims to have torn muscles. It's not me that's hyperbolic lol.

He claims to have previously had torn muscles, in training camp and again a couple weeks later, that are still not 100%. Remember how he sat out the first 6 weeks?

He claims to have previously had torn muscles, in training camp and again a couple weeks later, that are still not 100%. Remember how he sat out the first 6 weeks?

Tree, he's running around attempting field goals (practice throughout the season-not just st the pro bowl), running, cutting, jumping-just fine. If that strikes you as a player who is not close to 100% and is hampered by injury in anyway, more power to you.

Oh please .. There's something to be said for hands in experience. Many talented players were left on the bench year after year... Coughlin is adequate and has his flaws... I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd criticized him for not letting young guys play.... The ownership agrred with me on this one and many other issues including the firing of Fewel.

Tree, he's running around attempting field goals (practice throughout the season-not just st the pro bowl), running, cutting, jumping-just fine. If that strikes you as a player who is not close to 100% and is hampered by injury in anyway, more power to you.

Maybe he can kick, run, cut and jump 5-10% better? Again, he's not saying he is currently injured, he's saying he hasn't fully recovered.

People say Coughlin is an asshole for trying to win games, if they didn't play Beckham those same people would say Coughlin's an asshole for not playing rookies.

The year Eli was drafted, we pulled the plug on a 5 and 3 season to watch a team lose 7 of 8 and some of the worse qb play while Eli was getting his nose wet. Thatwas hardly fair to the vets on that team who could have benefitted from a winning season, but it was "for the long term". This season, after 12 games we were done, if Beckham was that hurt then his health was paramount and the team should have pulled him "for the long term". Beckham was dangerous when he played clearly, but the attention he was getting was disguising the fact our team play overall was terrible.

The giants were 5-4 when Eli became the starter, and the way I remember it, Kurt Warner started to hang onto the ball forever. I was glad when they made the move.

he didn't just 'start' hanging on to the ball, that was his MO for his entire career. He was extremely lucky that he often played on teams with good offensive lines.

The 2004 Giants were not that team, Warner was sacked 39 times in those 9 games... Eli only 13 times in 7 games.

The giants were 5-4 when Eli became the starter, and the way I remember it, Kurt Warner started to hang onto the ball forever. I was glad when they made the move.

Warner's last game as starter was my first Giants game; Chicago @ NYG.

I was there too. Giants were winning 14-0 when Warner rolled out to his left, got sacked, fumbled and momentum just turned from there.

We lost to Craig fucking Krenzel too.

I was tailgating with hlb37, who scored me the tickets too.

he didn't just 'start' hanging on to the ball, that was his MO for his entire career. He was extremely lucky that he often played on teams with good offensive lines.

The 2004 Giants were not that team, Warner was sacked 39 times in those 9 games... Eli only 13 times in 7 games.

So in 2 posts you're saying, that in 2004 the giants had a winning record, yet you sat there, back in 2004 and were okay with them turning over the season to a rookie who proceeded to turn in some of the biggest greenhorn performances ever.

And then claimed kurt warner was lucky to have good offensive lines. League mvp and 2 seperate teams to the superbowl,mind you, theres not too many qbs can do much without a good offensive line, no matter how good they are.

That's um,interesting.

So in 2 posts you're saying, that in 2004 the giants had a winning record, yet you sat there, back in 2004 and were okay with them turning over the season to a rookie who proceeded to turn in some of the biggest greenhorn performances ever.

And then claimed kurt warner was lucky to have good offensive lines. League mvp and 2 seperate teams to the superbowl,mind you, theres not too many qbs can do much without a good offensive line, no matter how good they are.

That's um,interesting.

Its hardly a "claim"... Kurt Warner's main flaw as a QB was that he tended to hold the ball for a long ass time. Who doesn't know that? Football Jesus played with what, maybe six current or soon-to-be hall of famers on offense in his best seasons? Pppht... right player, right time. He had great touch on the ball, but the way he held the ball back there, which often bordered on that fine line between bravery and stupidity, there were a lot of teams that wouldn't have let him on the field. His style only worked with hall of famers to throw to and to protect his blind side.

And given that the 2004 Giants were going nowhere - and man, if you watched them play that season, whatever the record was, you had to know that they were not at that point a playoff caliber team - I had absolutely no problem sitting Warner down and getting the kid some experience. Watching Warner get sacked and throw dump off passes was doing absolutely nothing for me.

Kurt Warner was also benched a few times for Matt Leinart. He took a while to resurrect his career and he attributes that to wearing gloves on both hands interestingly enough.

Fair enough, but let's be honest, he was brought in to be Leinart's backup. Arizona spent a lot of money to have this guy come in and start and they tried several times to jump start his career by replacing Warner and they couldn't ignore it any longer. His last 2 years there may well have been Arizona's 2 best years in the Modern era, He played good ball and I'm not sure what teams Dogs was watching, but I saw Kurt Warner get the shit kicked out of him in several games and it had nothing to do with him holding the ball too long.

Its hardly a "claim"... Kurt Warner's main flaw as a QB was that he tended to hold the ball for a long ass time. Who doesn't know that? Football Jesus played with what, maybe six current or soon-to-be hall of famers on offense in his best seasons? Pppht... right player, right time. He had great touch on the ball, but the way he held the ball back there, which often bordered on that fine line between bravery and stupidity, there were a lot of teams that wouldn't have let him on the field. His style only worked with hall of famers to throw to and to protect his blind side.

And given that the 2004 Giants were going nowhere - and man, if you watched them play that season, whatever the record was, you had to know that they were not at that point a playoff caliber team - I had absolutely no problem sitting Warner down and getting the kid some experience. Watching Warner get sacked and throw dump off passes was doing absolutely nothing for me.

I watched the 2004 Giants and I saw what everyone else saw, but to say you were able to make a determination that we were going nowhere after 9 games at 5-4, no offense that makes little sense. Yes, they had lost some games in a row, but they had 5 wins from somewhere correct?. With the guy holding the football too long. There was definitely pressure on this club to get Eli in there, Rothlisberger was starting in Pittsburgh and when we lost 2 in a row, we pulled the switch in the hopes Eli would jump start the team and it didn't work. After a few games they called it a transition year. If you think that their wasn't fans pissed off at that or that most of the players that year didn't think we could have done better, you're kidding yourself. I know I was.

I mean you follow a team that won a superbowl with a 9-7 record!. 8-8 put us out of the playoffs.

I watched the 2004 Giants and I saw what everyone else saw, but to say you were able to make a determination that we were going nowhere after 9 games at 5-4, no offense that makes little sense. Yes, they had lost some games in a row, but they had 5 wins from somewhere correct?. With the guy holding the football too long. There was definitely pressure on this club to get Eli in there, Rothlisberger was starting in Pittsburgh and when we lost 2 in a row, we pulled the switch in the hopes Eli would jump start the team and it didn't work. After a few games they called it a transition year. If you think that their wasn't fans pissed off at that or that most of the players that year didn't think we could have done better, you're kidding yourself. I know I was.

I mean you follow a team that won a superbowl with a 9-7 record!. 8-8 put us out of the playoffs.

I agree with Boo here... having watched so many years of Giants football I believe they could have had a shot at the playoffs... if Warner had stayed in... nothing a rookie can do that a veteran could not do better... I thought Eli Era could have waited for at least a 5 game losing streak. Remember I lived through the anointing of Dave Brown before the season ever began... the biggest mistake ever... even though Simms was a shell of himself... he was pushed out the door so badly that Dan Reeves wanted to cut his throat...he loathed the sight of Dave Brown... bet he wished he could invite George Young to the Grand Canyon Observation deck and nudge him over the side... :D

I guess we'll never know how it would have turned out, but at 5-4 after playing a very weak schedule, and losing to some very bad teams, I wasn't the least bit optimistic.

I think Coughlin should play Beckham no matter what. Pulled hamstring, bad knee, gimpy foot... just play him, you IMGRATE!

In year four, Beckham can catch maybe 40 passes for 600 yards, and then become a nobody for the Colts.

I agree with Boo here... having watched so many years of Giants football I believe they could have had a shot at the playoffs... if Warner had stayed in... nothing a rookie can do that a veteran could not do better... I thought Eli Era could have waited for at least a 5 game losing streak. Remember I lived through the anointing of Dave Brown before the season ever began... the biggest mistake ever... even though Simms was a shell of himself... he was pushed out the door so badly that Dan Reeves wanted to cut his throat...he loathed the sight of Dave Brown... bet he wished he could invite George Young to the Grand Canyon Observation deck and nudge him over the side... :D

And I agree with you agreeing with Boo (just remember, I'm illogical :P )

Then I continued reading in a very relaxed Thursday morning sipping my coffee and you had to throw it in there... you mentioned a name that should never be mentioned (I have no access to prozac) :rules: