SportsWrath

Someone get the suicide hotline ready.

BlueInCanada

Last year, we played a second place schedule, this year a third place schedule. Furthermore, last i heard offense and defense made up a team, and if the defense is a problem, then its pretty silly to make comments like "statiscally we were better than last year".not in the stat that counted!!!

I'm not even going to try to explain to you why that's a flawed and illogical basis for comparing seasons because you've followed the NFL long enough to know why.

Change of offensive coordinator leads to significantly better performance on offense. No change in defensive coordinator and defense remains the same. Imagine that.

You talk to the mara's on a regular basis?

You got jerrys cell on speeddial?

No, I only talk to Tom Coughlin who apparently makes every decision related to the team. Duh.

The Mara's and Reese don't have any power or decision making.

Tom doesnt make decisions on this team. He is just good at yelling and hand gestures.

Wait, so it's both ways? He's completely responsible for hiring and firing coordinators, signing free agents, drafting, etc. but all he's doing is not making decisions and yelling and making hand gestures?

I'm not even going to try to explain to you why that's a flawed and illogical basis for comparing seasons because you've followed the NFL long enough to know why.

Change of offensive coordinator leads to significantly better performance on offense. No change in defensive coordinator and defense remains the same. Imagine that.

No,no. See, i really want to hear your explanation. Dont call people out for not knowing things and then cop out on the explanation why.

No,no. See, i really want to hear your explanation. Dont call people out for not knowing things and then cop out on the explanation why.

Because your argument ends up not making any statistical sense. 2013 opponents win % equals .500. 2014 opponents win % equals.512. The Giants didn't have an easier schedule than last year, despite win percentages of the teams going by the previous year's records. They ended up with a tougher schedule. When considering strength of schedule, improvements made by individual teams over the course of an entire offseason aren't taken into consideration. You know this, I don't have to explain this to you.

Because, just like every other team in the league, the HC doesn't drill down into every detail of a game plan. Not only would it be impossible for 1 person to try to run both sides of the ball, it would be ill-advised. At most, a HC will pick one side and run that, ala Fassel for a couple of years; usually the side he's most oriented towards. You try to do it any other way, and the life expectancy for head coaches would probably drop to their early 40's.

Do you think your guy, a former QB, was running the San Fran defense? Of course not, unless he was an idiot. He probably put in some broad strokes, and let Fangio work out the details. Naturally there's input, and there will be more than that during critical moments of the game--but the bulk of the game is called by the coordinator.

Coordinators are also typically the ones doing the hiring of position coaches, with the sign off of the head coach. That's almost a bigger deal than game-planning, because those coaches are the ones dealing with the players every day and preparing the players to execute game plans, they're the ones that are supposed to be doing the player development. Those are the coaches that should have been turned over long ago--and it's on the coordinators if they haven't.

Yes, a head coach has a lot of responsibility--as a generalist, in creating a culture, in creating an overall cohesion. The very fact we were in the last 5 games speaks to Coughlin's ability there. He does bear responsibilty for hiring and not firing the coordinators when it becomes necessary. But to blame Coughlin for some of the things he's getting blamed for would be like blaming the bugs in Yosemite on Paul Cook.

Let's talk about "my guy" (mary wells?) since you brought it up. He did not run the defense or call many plays. I think his lack of experience showed through in that area. There were too many check downs and situational strategies. That's why they have had the most delay of game penalties. What he did have was a cohesive team of coordinators that had been with him for a while and they seemed to have a system of success.

Don't see that in Tom. He seems hands off with the Coordinators. And maybe, as someone else said, he knows the politics. Being, don't attach yourself to any coord and you'll keep your job.

I don't know where anyone gets the idea that I want to "blame" Coughlin for anything. I just want him to be accountable for something. The front office seems to agree as he's going in as a lame duck. They've made an under the table agreement that 2015 will be his last year.

:clap:

Exactly. I'm not saying he's some terrible coach but the posters here constantly give him a pass for bad seasons. How many terrible DCs are hired that aren't his fault? Is he not making any of these decisions? It's always Fewell sucks, Sheridan sucks, Lewis sucks but when does Coughlin suck? When is he accountable for the team?

I made exactly that point on here.. He's absolutely horrible when it comes to hiring coaches... I'm guessing he looks for someone who he gets along with..

It was the right decision to bring Tom Coughlin back.

Somewhere in the last 11 years the New York Giants won 2 super bowls, the division 3 times, 5 playoff appearances, 96-80 regular season and 8-3 in the playoffs. We have gone through 3 offensive coordinators and 4 defensive coordinators.

Because your argument ends up not making any statistical sense. 2013 opponents win % equals .500. 2014 opponents win % equals.512. The Giants didn't have an easier schedule than last year, despite win percentages of the teams going by the previous year's records. They ended up with a tougher schedule. When considering strength of schedule, improvements made by individual teams over the course of an entire offseason aren't taken into consideration. You know this, I don't have to explain this to you.

You keep on telling me you dont have to explain, you have to start getting your head out of the clouds.

I'm okay with him coming back, but he needs to do what he needs to do to reverse this trend.

9-7

9-7

7-9

6-10

Draft position,last 4 years

32,19,12,9(Our highest pick since eli)

You cant come up with any stats that mean more than those, simple.

Here's what I want. Anyone calling for Tom's head that fine. But do that with an answer on who you would want to replace him that you think would do a better job.

Looking at the NY papers today, they all have stories on the Jets, with lists of possible Coaching and GM candidates. You go down those lists and all of them have some good things on their resumes and some potential red flags. It's a roll of the dice that will have ramifications into the next decade. As I read down those lists today, I found myself thinking, "damn, I'm glad we're not in this position".

And then I added, "But I'm so happy the Jets are"!

Here's what I want. Anyone calling for Tom's head that fine. But do that with an answer on who you would want to replace him that you think would do a better job.

I think the obvious choice is....

Steve_Addazio_Boston_College.jpg

Boston College named Steve Addazio as the Eagles' next football coach.(US Presswire)

That's why it's a process. I hate the well we'll stick with this guy just because we don't want to go through the process of finding out who might be better and had enough of he's done this for the franchise this many years ago theory. Imagine if we kept Fassel and never hired Coughlin in the first place. I have no idea why so many of you are content with the past two years and want a lameduck head coach...what does that do for Giants beyond 2015?

That's why it's a process. I hate the well we'll stick with this guy just because we don't want to go through the process of finding out who might be better and had enough of he's done this for the franchise this many years ago theory. Imagine if we kept Fassel and never hired Coughlin in the first place. I have no idea why so many of you are content with the past two years and want a lameduck head coach...what does that do for Giants beyond 2015?

And I have no idea why so many Giants fans are so short sighted that they think only the last 2 or 3 years is was matters. In the 11 Years Coughlin has been coach he has helped bring us 2 superbowls. In the past 11 years what other team has won 2 Superbowls?

The Pats.

The Steelers.

The Giants.

and of those 3 teams only The Pats and Giants had the same coach for both. But some of you just want him gone because of a few bad seasons. Seems like only complete idiot would want to get rid of one of the best coaches in the league over a few years of lackluster performance. Hey why not just be the raiders and fire our coaches every 2 years. Look how successful they are.

And I have no idea why so many Giants fans are so short sighted that they think only the last 2 or 3 years is was matters. In the 11 Years Coughlin has been coach he has helped bring us 2 superbowls. In the past 11 years what other team has won 2 Superbowls?

The Pats.

The Steelers.

The Giants.

and of those 3 teams only The Pats and Giants had the same coach for both. But some of you just want him gone because of a few bad seasons. Seems like only complete idiot would want to get rid of one of the best coaches in the league over a few years of lackluster performance. Hey why not just be the raiders and fire our coaches every 2 years. Look how successful they are.

So he can keep going 6-10 because he won two super bowls

The Pats.

The Steelers.

The Giants.

They do get those awesome top ten draft picks though.

You keep on telling me you dont have to explain, you have to start getting your head out of the clouds.

I'm okay with him coming back, but he needs to do what he needs to do to reverse this trend.

9-7

9-7

7-9

6-10

Draft position,last 4 years

32,19,12,9(Our highest pick since eli)

You cant come up with any stats that mean more than those, simple.

Dude, you're using reasoning that doesn't make any sense and trying to back up your reasoning with a projected number from last year. They use strength of schedule to help build a fair schedule and as a statistical attempt to generate parity in the league. That's it. That number doesn't tell you anything else. Unless you're a complete idiot, which despite consistently holding the completely opposite opinion than you in nearly everything, I don't think you are, you already know that using strength of schedule of a team from 2013 to assess the progress of a team in 2014 doesn't make any sense. It literally tells you absolutely nothing. It's like using projected sales from 2013 to assess whether 2014 was a success or not, after 2014 was complete and you have the results in hand. I knew why it isn't a sound means of assessing growth. You know why it isn't a sound means of assessing growth. You know this, I didn't have to explain it to you, you asked me to anyway.

Judging progress by win-loss is unfair to the guys working hard to rebuild the team. Turnovers are way down, offensive numbers are way up, defense has remained about the same, there is a good core group of young players to build around and there's going to be more after the 9th pick, and half the roster returning from injury next year. There's a lot to be excited about.

So Coughlin has no control over who he hires has his coordinator's?

"Some in the Giants org. believe Perry Fewell's job is still in jeopardy despite all that Coughlin said today. But it's Coughlin's call."

Wtf does that mean... Coughlin trying to project an image that he's in control of this issue? Fuck that.... Fewel better be gone...

Wtf does that mean... Coughlin trying to project an image that he's in control of this issue? Fuck that.... Fewel better be gone...

Yes Nas, a coach who is obviously more concerned about his own image has been leading the Giant's the last 10 seasons.

This place is just getting stranger by the day.