SportsWrath

"Kevin Gilbride still questions overhaul of Giants offense"

JMFP

Link and story below......

http://nypost.com/2014/12/16/kevin-gilbride-still-questions-overhaul-of-giants-offense/

Kevin Gilbride still is not sure why the Giants blew up their entire offensive system and plunked down a brand-new playbook on Eli Manning’s lap, when it should have been clear to everyone the issue wasn’t the system, it was the players running it.

“I didn’t quite understand making the quarterback make the adjustment they did,’’ Gilbride, the Giants’ former offensive coordinator, told The Post. “People knew what the problem was. You can’t ask that guy to stand here and take the pounding that he took last year. He solves problems with his brain and with his arm and to do that he’s got to have some protection. He’s not gonna solve it with his feet, he’s not that kind of quarterback.’’

Manning was the wrong kind of quarterback in 2013, and after his career-worst season, co-owner John Mara famously declared the offense “broken’’ and wholesale changes were made. Gilbride, no doubt about to get swept out, picked an opportune time to retire. Two of his longtime assistants, Jerald Ingram and Mike Pope, were not retained, others were reassigned and a slew of new coaching blood was hired, most notably Ben McAdoo, who had never before been an offensive coordinator, but earned high marks for his work in Green Bay with tight ends and quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Modal Triggermcadoosheet.jpg?w=300

Giants offensive coordinator Ben McAdooPhoto: Joseph E. Amaturo

There is no disputing the Giants, operating McAdoo’s version of the West Coast offense, are far better this season than last, and while it is no longer broken, it is premature to declare the offense fixed. The Giants, 5-9 after 14 games for a second consecutive year, are in the middle of the pack in scoring at 22.6 points per game. They are 26th in yards per play, 29th in rushing yards per attempt, 14th in total offense (based only on yards per game, and thus misleading). With two games remaining, the Giants have 37 touchdowns on offense. Gilbride spent seven years as offensive coordinator, and his attack, starting in 2007, produced these touchdown totals: 38, 42, 42, 48, 46 and 44 before last year’s plummet to 29.

Rather than the league catching up to the Giants’ offense, Gilbride blames the 2013 decline on a roster sapped of talent. He had Andre Brown and Peyton Hillis as his primary running backs, a hobbled Hakeem Nicks making few plays at receiver, a tight end, Brandon Myers, who spent one year with the team and then was gone. He saw Chris Snee at right guard go down after two games, lost David Baas at center, witnessed Will Beatty endure a terrible season at left tackle, had to actually put James Brewer on the field at left guard and had to navigate through the last years in a Giants uniform for David Diehl (now a Fox analyst) and Kevin Boothe (not playing a lick for the Raiders).

All the proof needed to realize how low the gauge fell on the talent meter came last spring, when general manager Jerry Reese admitted — by deeds, not words — the roster was a mess with his uncharacteristic spending foray in free agency.

“They were trying to do the right thing,’’ Gilbride said. “There was a decision that ‘Hey, the talent level wasn’t where it needed to be’ and what did they spend, $110 million in the offseason?’’

Modal Triggergilbride.jpg?w=300

Kevin GilbridePhoto: Tim Farrell

Gilbride, 63, is enjoying seeing what life is like outside the grind of the coaching world. He lives in South Kingstown, R.I., separated from the ocean by a wildlife preserve. Instead of figuring out ways to score on Eagles, Seahawks, Falcons and Bears, Gilbride now has to contend with wild turkeys, coyotes, fisher cats and more. “I never thought I’d grow to hate deer, but once I saw the damage they do to your trees and shrubs and bushes — we got all the deer you could possibly want,’’ he said. “You name it, we got it. The only thing that bothers me is the ticks.’’

Last month, Gilbride was informed by his sister that this was the first time in 28 years he had spent Thanksgiving at her house.

“I’m enjoying being able to do some things I’ve never had a chance to do before,’’ he said. “All of a sudden life’s gone by and you haven’t been part of it.’’

He keeps his hand in football as an analyst on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk, heading to the studio in Stamford, Conn., on Mondays and Fridays. It looks as if his former boss, Tom Coughlin, is going to return for a 12th season as head coach.

“I’m too close to it because I care too much about those coaches and worry about what would happen to them if there was a change made,” Gilbride said. “I just hope there’s a recognition of the job that’s been done by those guys and if there is then I think the right decision will be made.’’

What is the “right decision’’ in his mind?

“I’m not going to get into that,’’ Gilbride said. “I’m too close to that. That’s really wrong of me. I got a son on that staff. I’m very close to a lot of those people.’’

Gilbride’s son, Kevin M. Gilbride, is the Giants’ tight ends coach.

As for Coughlin, well, Gilbride knows the deal.

“The assistants are the ones teaching the X’s and O’s and looking at the scheme and the strategy that has to be done and Tom’s working his tail off making sure the atmosphere is what it needs to be so those guys are learning those lessons, absorbing them, continuing to compete and fight,’’ he said. “I have no doubt that has not waned at all.’’

Call me when McAdoo gets 7 wins.

Or has multiple years running a top-10 offense.

It might happen, or not; but I wouldn't exactly start talking about how much better the offense is at this point.

In the meantime, this article only points out that McAdoo is dealing with the same shit Gilbride did last year--except with Beckham. Frankly, if they didn't draft that kid, the offense would still look terrible.

The only other difference is that you guys wanted Gilbride's head on a pike for similar results. Assuming we even get to 7-9.

It might happen, or not; but I wouldn't exactly start talking about how much better the offense is at this point.

In the meantime, this article only points out that McAdoo is dealing with the same shit Gilbride did last year--except with Beckham. Frankly, if they didn't draft that kid, the offense would still look terrible.

The only other difference is that you guys wanted Gilbride's head on a pike for similar results. Assuming we even get to 7-9.

This is a great point.

Another is that if Gilly was still running the offense, Beckham would have 21 catches for 285 yards, because he "didn't learn the offense." WRs couldn't pick up that system until year 3... at least McAdoo runs something that you don't need an engineering degree to figure out.

Link and story below......

“I didn’t quite understand making the quarterback make the adjustment they did,’’ Gilbride, the Giants’ former offensive coordinator, told The Post. “People knew what the problem was. You can’t ask that guy to stand here and take the pounding that he took last year. He solves problems with his brain and with his arm and to do that he’s got to have some protection. He’s not gonna solve it

with his feet, he’s not that kind of quarterback.’’

Uh... who is asking Eli to win games with his feet?

If he were talking about footwork, I think that has been one of the problems for Eli. He sees it, he throws it. While if he moves his feet towards the throw, he'd be much more accurate. Aaron Rodgers, in my opinion, has the best footwork in the business. I really don't understand how QB's don't get better at this over time.

This is a great point.

Another is that if Gilly was still running the offense, Beckham would have 21 catches for 285 yards, because he "didn't learn the offense." WRs couldn't pick up that system until year 3... at least McAdoo runs something that you don't need an engineering degree to figure out.

Really? Cruz seemed to do fine in his rookie season; well second full time season. Nicks didn't take three years either. Comparing Randle or Barden or Moss to real WR is not going to work. Randle isn't doing much better this year either.

As Fish stated, I’ll buy into the McAdoo hype when he produces past Gilbride. So far not very promising. This season would have been ugly without Beckham.

Is this one of those coughlin type debates where we shouldn't have gotten rid of girlbride cuz we couldn't find a better replacement?

No this is the one where the replacement appears to be doing as good as the last guy.

Really? Cruz seemed to do fine in his rookie season; well second full time season. Nicks didn't take three years either. Comparing Randle or Barden or Moss to real WR is not going to work. Randle isn't doing much better this year either.

As Fish stated, I’ll buy into the McAdoo hype when he produces past Gilbride. So far not very promising. This season would have been ugly without Beckham.

Exactly; Cruz' SECOND full-time season. Nicks didn't set the world on fire his rookie year either. Steve Smith was supposed to be the smartest NFL-ready receiver in his draft class and didn't make any plays until the playoffs... he had 63 receiving yards as a rookie.

I think the jury is still out on McAdoo and I'm not sure what the hype is about either, but I'm happy Gilly is gone.

What's you're number? :wub:

Unfortunately, thanks to some draft day misses, some questionable FA signings, and an avalanche of injuries, this coaching staff is forced to work with what they have, not what they want to have. That means lot of players with average intelligence and/or athleticism.

I think Gilbride was slow to adapt to that, and frankly, the Giants' opponents were very familiar with their offensive tendencies. Defenders were able to fake looks to compel a route adjustment and then jump it. And often, receivers simply botched the play, or else Eli was off the mark because someone was about to clobber him. The whole thing fell apart.

Unfortunately, thanks to some draft day misses, some questionable FA signings, and an avalanche of injuries, this coaching staff is forced to work with what they have, not what they want to have. That means lot of players with average intelligence and/or athleticism.

I think Gilbride was slow to adapt to that, and frankly, the Giants' opponents were very familiar with their offensive tendencies. Defenders were able to fake looks to compel a route adjustment and then jump it. And often, receivers simply botched the play, or else Eli was off the mark because someone was about to clobber him. The whole thing fell apart.

I honestly don't think our FA signings were bad at all.. on the contrary.. I think most of us applauded them then... the problem is they all seem to have gotten injured... and we lost Cruz and Prince to boot.

Exactly; Cruz' SECOND full-time season. Nicks didn't set the world on fire his rookie year either. Steve Smith was supposed to be the smartest NFL-ready receiver in his draft class and didn't make any plays until the playoffs... he had 63 receiving yards as a rookie.

I think the jury is still out on McAdoo and I'm not sure what the hype is about either, but I'm happy Gilly is gone.

Cruz was on IR his rookie season.

Nobody except for the offensive line.

The funny thing is, I never said he was bad--just that even with new concepts and philosophies, he's having as much difficulty as the previous guy dealing with the same problems.

Hopefully, with a decent line and a 2nd healthy WR, he'll do ok.

He could be predictable at times but it wasn't all bad under Gilbride. We've had some of our highest scoring offenses in team history while he called the plays. Some fans seem to forget that. McAdoo has done alright so far but it could be better. Beckham certainly has helped thats for sure.

It was time to move on from his system and all but Fewell should've gone as well. He's a year over due.

He could be predictable at times but it wasn't all bad under Gilbride. We've had some of our highest scoring offenses in team history while he called the plays. Some fans seem to forget that. McAdoo has done alright so far but it could be better. Beckham certainly has helped thats for sure.

It was time to move on from his system and all but Fewell should've gone as well. He's a year over due.

Fewel should've been gone years ago... he's way over due...

During a time when every team in the NFL also had some of the highest scoring offenses in history...

Kelvin Gilbride has been offensive coordinator for over 20 years in the NFL and his time with the Giants was the high point. He bounced around a lot was even out of football. He is a decent offensive coordinator who was lucky enough to have had some talented offensive players to run his playbook.

I think its pretty damning that a first year offensive coordinator manages to do slightly better with the same problems.