SportsWrath

Giants just took a running back from Boston College

RandolphScott

Williams, a 227-pounder, is a physical downhill runner who occasionally can turn the corner. "He's faster than you think at 227 pounds," draft analyst Mike Mayock said on NFL Network.

The flipside? "He does not have natural hands," Mayock said.

That's an understatement: Williams had zero receptions in '13 and just 10 in his four-season career.

One anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel before the draft that Williams has the "Worst hands I've ever seen. I never even saw them pitch it to him. You would be crazy to pitch it to him. It's so bad, you feel bad for the kid."

LINK

This kind of disappointed me. I was hoping he had hooks.

I've read other analyses that say the same thing. Although, many of them admit that he was so effective running the ball that he was rarely thrown at. I don't see that as a big problem and I suspect that the Giants will train him to start catching a ball by throwing at him a hundred times a day until he figures out how to have soft hands to catch a ball on the fly. It's not as if he bats the ball out of the air with his hands, it's just that he (in his own words) has almost never been used as a catching RB - not even in high school.

Where he will be perfect is in games where the Giants just want to eat up the clock to hold a lead or to keep the other team on the field to wear down the defense. IMO, nothing opens up the air game quicker than a consistent running threat. It changes the whole dynamic of the defense when they have to adjust to stop a persistent runner who knocks off 4 or 5 yards a clip.

I'm hoping he takes the pressure off our receivers and causes the LB's to have to let them go in order to guard against the running back who simply will not quit.

Actually, I was trying to be funny/smartass. If he doesn't have "natural hands," then I was hoping he had hooks. Be more devastating than OJ Anderson's upper cut.

I've got no problems with a pure running back, and it looks like he can make the most of holes when they open up.

Actually, I was trying to be funny/smartass. If he doesn't have "natural hands," then I was hoping he had hooks. Be more devastating than OJ Anderson's upper cut.

I've got no problems with a pure running back, and it looks like he can make the most of holes when they open up.

Ahh....the written word sometimes foregoes an intended sarcasm. Been there, done that.

And I agree - I have no problem with a guy who can carry the ball forward. I'm curious if he can block, because that's something TC expects out of every running back. The guy seems tough as hell, so I would think he could block.

Ahh....the written word sometimes foregoes an intended sarcasm. Been there, done that.

And I agree - I have no problem with a guy who can carry the ball forward. I'm curious if he can block, because that's something TC expects out of every running back. The guy seems tough as hell, so I would think he could block.

He's got the frame--hopefully he's got the technique. Or at the very least, is a quick learner.

I've read other analyses that say the same thing. Although, many of them admit that he was so effective running the ball that he was rarely thrown at. I don't see that as a big problem and I suspect that the Giants will train him to start catching a ball by throwing at him a hundred times a day until he figures out how to have soft hands to catch a ball on the fly. It's not as if he bats the ball out of the air with his hands, it's just that he (in his own words) has almost never been used as a catching RB - not even in high school.

Where he will be perfect is in games where the Giants just want to eat up the clock to hold a lead or to keep the other team on the field to wear down the defense. IMO, nothing opens up the air game quicker than a consistent running threat. It changes the whole dynamic of the defense when they have to adjust to stop a persistent runner who knocks off 4 or 5 yards a clip.

I'm hoping he takes the pressure off our receivers and causes the LB's to have to let them go in order to guard against the running back who simply will not quit.

Good points.

I think if Coughlin can teach Tiki how to stop fumbling he can get this kid to catch a toss