SportsWrath

Who Makes Decisions on "Who to Draft"

BleedinBlue

I'm going nuts waiting for draft day. I'd like to smack the guy upside the head who thought it was a good idea to put it off 3 weeks later this year. So anyway...I am set on who I want drafted for the first three rounds (i.e., OT, C, WR or OT, WR, C), but I need something to talk about or argue about. So anyway...here's something to possibly discuss.

I've often wondered who makes the decisions in the draft war room. Inside the war room are anywhere from a dozen to more than 20 people. Of course Reese gets credit for and criticism for the picks, but does he actually make the pick himself? Does TC.

I look at the war rooms and wonder. Here's a few pics of war rooms....the Giants apparently do not allow pictures to be taken, but other teams do:

Broncos_war_room.jpg

The Bronco's War Room

Cowboys_war_room.jpg

The Cowboy's War Room

TGC_Pittsburgh_War_Room.jpg

The Steeler's War Room

So anyway, I got this from another site:

"The GM does not make the draft picks unless a consensus can not be reached. It would be idiotic for a GM to make the draft pick after spending all the resources required to come up with a draft board. The draft board dictates who will be picked unless two or more players are rated very evenly. In that case, there will have been plenty of conversations about who to pick should those players be available. The GM in the Giants system is the tie breaker not the decision maker. Where the GM's influence comes is setting overall strategy such as when to take higher risk players.

Apparently JR had a philosophy of taking risks in the mid rounds. Based on a comment made by John Mara, that philosophy will change. We should remember that JR was an excellent scout for many years. This gives him greater insight into scouting reports than a GM that does not have an extensive scouting background. I am confident that his influence is significant in terms of how reports are prepared and what scouts do in the field, but in the end - he rarely makes the decision.

So my question is, does the group in the War Room vote? Does TC carry more weight than JR? Will the new offensive coordinator McAdoo be given free reign on offensive players?

What are your thoughts?

Reese is the one that pulls the trigger, the Mara's and the rest of the ownership group is there. Information from the various coordinators get filtered through Coughlin and they might not even be in the room on draft day.

Operating off of the front office list from the Giants website I'd say personnel from Ownership, Football Operations, Communications, Player Personnel and Scouting.

Only decision left to be made on draft day is whether or not they are moving up or down. By draft day guys are locked in.

I imagine it's a consensus thing.

The majority have to agree on a player, I could see TC/JR/MacADoodles maybe getting the free choice of a pick in the later rounds.

Inside the first four rounds though I imagine it's an agreement thing. You have to keep in mind too it's not like come draft day there are all sitting there going "Oh who should we draft?" I mean if the NFL network has shown me anything the minute that the Superbowl ends teams are then spending every moment scouting players.

I'm sure their guys have done hundreds if not more mock drafts and already have a list of players who to take and when and if a situation plays out like a trade what to do then in that case.

Like I said I imagine going into a draft the team already have players "pre-approved" by coaches and everyone on who they think will work and it's just a matter of weighing value of which one to take and when.

If you believe the Giants, they...meaning the coaches and admin folks...work together to develop their draft board and they simply take the best player available when they pick.

I don't believe it's that simple.

I think each position of player is ranked and I think they have an overall board...and that they work off of both. If they have a player at a position of need that's within x number of spots from their ranking...they might not have a problem pulling the trigger even though they may not need the player right away. Or, they'll 'ignore' a position of need in one round because they believe the best player available at that position will still be around in the next round. Essentially, they'll remain flexible.

I'm also certain that they'll figure out trade values based on players they're targeting. And if teams come calling, they'll listen to offers, but like FA, they'll have a price and tend to stick with it unless there is a player they're targeting or unless the offer is just too much in the Giants' favor.

The one thing that I read in the quote I posted that I agree with, is that Reese, being a former scout...has been intrigued by risky players based on athleticism and potential.

I hope that part of him is finally run its course and he will draft football players rather than athletes and guys with the right mentality to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Hence my infatuation with Zack Martin.

That Steelers pick looks like a stock photo from 1975. Is there a single guy in that organization that knows how to use a fucking computer?

I see a few laptops in the back.

Other then that though, do they really need a computer for draft day?

All you need is a phone, pen and TV and you could run the entire draft out of your bathroom.

I wouldnt be surprised if in the early day some GM wasnt phoning in calls from his bed while some cheerleaders were sucking him off.

I see a few laptops in the back.

Other then that though, do they really need a computer for draft day?

All you need is a phone, pen and TV and you could run the entire draft out of your bathroom.

I wouldnt be surprised if in the early day some GM wasnt phoning in calls from his bed while some cheerleaders were sucking him off.

NFL network has been doing a series on how big the draft has become. It's pretty interesting now compared to what it was. In the early days they would publish it in the paper like two weeks after the draft. Kiper said the first draft he did was pulled early because of a tractor pull.

In the later rounds, I believe they put the names of the remaining players in a circle, and have one of the surviving hookers spin one of the dozens of empty Chivas bottles in the center of the circle. Then the guy who comes closest to coherent tries to press the speed dial button. If he can't pronounce the name, they slap the hooker until she spins again.

That would certainly explain James Brewer and Greg Jones.

In the later rounds, I believe they put the names of the remaining players in a circle, and have one of the surviving hookers spin one of the dozens of empty Chivas bottles in the center of the circle. Then the guy who comes closest to coherent tries to press the speed dial button. If he can't pronounce the name, they slap the hooker until she spins again.

Brilliant :clap:

Hindsight is great, most people loved grabbing Greg Jones.

Yep, Jones was big ten dpoy and three time first team all American. He seemed like the perfect fit in Fewell's defense. The Giants rushed him in sooner they wanted thanks to Goff's injury and he never recovered.

Yep, Jones was big ten dpoy and three time first team all American. He seemed like the perfect fit in Fewell's defense. The Giants rushed him in sooner they wanted thanks to Goff's injury and he never recovered.

Jeez, lighten up guys. Greg Jones= 2 monosyllabic names. The post wasn't exactly meant to be taken seriously. I would have hoped the reference to "surviving hookers" would have given that away.

Would you prefer Rod Babers? Keith McCants?

Jeez, lighten up guys. Greg Jones= 2 monosyllabic names. The post wasn't exactly meant to be taken seriously. I would have hoped the reference to "surviving hookers" would have given that away.

Would you prefer Rod Babers? Keith McCants?

Would of preferred Phillip Dillard or Ben Talley. LOL There's just been discussion about playing guys right away and rushing them into action. Jones was an example of a guy that should of sat. Not saying he was going to be a pro bowler either way, some guys just don't translate to the NFL. At the time he seemed like everything you want in an LB and had at worst a 2nd grade and Giants got him in the sixth.

Would of preferred Phillip Dillard or Ben Talley. LOL There's just been discussion about playing guys right away and rushing them into action. Jones was an example of a guy that should of sat. Not saying he was going to be a pro bowler either way, some guys just don't translate to the NFL. At the time he seemed like everything you want in an LB and had at worst a 2nd grade and Giants got him in the sixth.

But dude coughlin never plays the young guys.

Can I steal this?