SportsWrath

Post free agency draft

Bigblue25

he's 250 instead of 265. it's not a huge difference and he can always put on a few pounds of muscle

Yeah, but if he bulks up, he loses another second of speed and he's just another TE, but shorter.

I really don't know about Ebron. Maybe he's unbelievably great. I just wish he was a little taller and can't get thrown around by LB'rs. If he was 6'6", 265 and still ran 4.6, I'd probably be drooling. Beckum left a really bad taste in my mouth for smaller sized TE's.

I look at Gronk (6'6" / 265), or Jimmy Graham (6'7" / 270), or Jason Witten (6'6" / 265) as the benchmark for tight ends. Vernon Davis is smaller, like Ebron, but ran the 40 in 4.38 (he's freakin fast). Ebron at 6'4"/250 has injury written all over it when he gets hammered by Patrick Willis or Clay Mathews, or some other nasty linebacker.

Agreed. Leverage is key to moving an object. I'm 5'10 and all of 190...but I could move my 6'6, 250 lb friend easily if I can get up under his center of gravity...just enough to get him off balance.

Wouldn't be picking him up or nothin'...but just getting him to take 1 step backwards after contact is enough to generate momentum...causing him to re-set...but that's already creating pressure at that point.

Yep.

On that front line, if you are 100 lbs lighter and weaker, the big guy picks the little guy up off his feet and flings him out of the way. It's why you like offensive lineman that are over 300 lbs and can bench 225 lbs, 30 times or more.

Yea in the movies.

Us little guys had to work on technique in order to survive. Being the smallest out there I was the toughest SOB to pick up or do anything with... I always slithered my way in to make the tackle much to everyone's surprise.

Yea in the movies.

Us little guys had to work on technique in order to survive. Being the smallest out there I was the toughest SOB to pick up or do anything with... I always slithered my way in to make the tackle much to everyone's surprise.

I can name a lot of sports where little guys won battles with bigger guys (Dave Meggett, Spud Webb, hopefully this new punt returner of ours Holliday, etc.).

But I can't name a single small guy on an offensive line dominating (or even holding his own) against NFL conditioned defensive linemen.

Yeah, but if he bulks up, he loses another second of speed and he's just another TE, but shorter.

I really don't know about Ebron. Maybe he's unbelievably great. I just wish he was a little taller and can't get thrown around by LB'rs. If he was 6'6", 265 and still ran 4.6, I'd probably be drooling. Beckum left a really bad taste in my mouth for smaller sized TE's.

I look at Gronk (6'6" / 265), or Jimmy Graham (6'7" / 270), or Jason Witten (6'6" / 265) as the benchmark for tight ends. Vernon Davis is smaller, like Ebron, but ran the 40 in 4.38 (he's freakin fast). Ebron at 6'4"/250 has injury written all over it when he gets hammered by Patrick Willis or Clay Mathews, or some other nasty linebacker.

You want an inline blocking TE, which we have in Robinson. I don't like Ebron for his blocking acumen, He creates mismatches on LB's by cutting in and out of his breaks and his speed is good enough to get by safeties down the seam.

bigblue25, nice job. I have doubts Yankey is going to last to our pick in the 2nd. Would be a coup if he did. I really have come around to Ebron in the first. I think the Giants are in an enviable position, because it looks like a very good player is going to be there. I have no reservations about Lewan, either. I think this is all a bunch of hooey that is going to go away. However, with what we have so far on the line, I'd rather us take Evans or Ebron. I think either of them would do wonders for the offense. And I can daydream about Sammy Watkins dropping to us, right?

I think one of the more interesting things to watch in this draft is to see where Derek Carr might go in this draft. I think he has a chance to go ahead of us, which would obviously be great for the Giants. I've said for awhile now that Blake Bortles is the best QB in this draft, and I expect him to go #1. The draftniks are now saying that, too. I do believe that's how it is going to shake out... Bortles at #1... just for fun -

1. Texans take Blake Bortles, QB, UCF - You can't pass on a guy with his talent, and Texans are already moving to send Schaub elsewhere.

2. Falcons take Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina - No way the Falcons can pass on Clowney, who can nearly single-handedly put that team over the top.

3. Jaguars take Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M - Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack could be options, but Manziel has the excitement to energize the fan base, something the team desperately needs.

4. Browns take Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn - Robinson is just too good. The Browns can ill afford to waste another high pick on a QB with question marks. Robinson is a sure thing, and I think they really like Hoyer coming back next season.

5. Raiders take Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo - Position of need for Oakland, and Mack's stock is sky high. Bridgewater still falling after a bad pro day.

6. Rams take Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M - Could also take Lewan here, flip a coin. But the Rams really need a tackle.

7. Buccaneers take Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan - I think the Bucs will pick up a QB, but they also have to replace LT Donald Penn (free agency), and give McCown a chance. If you're going to draft a prospect QB, might as well do it later, seeing as you already have a prospect QB in-house in Glennon. Anthony Barr also could land here.

8. Vikings take Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville - I'm not in love with this pick, but the Vikings are clearly scrambling for solutions after Ponder's inauspicious first couple of seasons. Sammy Watkins should be the guy, would've formed a ridiculous tandem with Cordarelle Patterson.

9. Bills take Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson - Bills will want to give EJ Manuel a chance to succeed. He needs weapons, and Stevie Brown needs to be replaced. Robert Woods is a fine #2, but Watkins is the guy that can grow with Manuel.

10. Lions take Anthony Barr, DE/OLB, UCLA - Some have Evans here. I don't like the fit. Barr gives them a guy that can line up on passing downs across from Ezekiel Ansah, and make a strength even stronger. The Lions continue to try to make their defense what people talk about when they think about Detroit. I also see Dennard as a strong fit and possibility here.

11. Titans take Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M - Aggie pride as the third A&M player goes in the top 11 picks. I'd love for the Titans to take Dennard here. Or surprise everyone and take Derek Carr. Or even Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. But Evans is the playmaker that Britt was supposed to be.

12. Giants take Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt - I watched some tape of Donald, and on one play against Duke, he penetrated the backfield, and tackled both the QB AND the RB. That's a pretty good defense for the read option, just take both of them down! A defensive tackle doesn't really excite me, and I wanted more at 12. But Donald is the top guy at his position. And he is a big dude that can move really fast. He also would be a great fit for the Giants. Yes, Ebron would also be a good fit and McAdoo would love him. But I think you get more bang for your buck later at TE. I almost took Zack Martin here, who would be a great pick, a versatile offensive lineman that can play tackle or guard. But Donald is the best player available, in my opinion. Evans was the guy I wanted, I just don't see him slipping past Tennessee.

I'll do the rest later. I really do believe this is a plausible scenario for how this draft might play out. And Donald would be a dominant presence inside, and would love to see him play next to a healthy JPP. But boy do I want Evans.

bigblue25, nice job. I have doubts Yankey is going to last to our pick in the 2nd. Would be a coup if he did. I really have come around to Ebron in the first. I think the Giants are in an enviable position, because it looks like a very good player is going to be there. I have no reservations about Lewan, either. I think this is all a bunch of hooey that is going to go away. However, with what we have so far on the line, I'd rather us take Evans or Ebron. I think either of them would do wonders for the offense. And I can daydream about Sammy Watkins dropping to us, right?

I think one of the more interesting things to watch in this draft is to see where Derek Carr might go in this draft. I think he has a chance to go ahead of us, which would obviously be great for the Giants. I've said for awhile now that Blake Bortles is the best QB in this draft, and I expect him to go #1. The draftniks are now saying that, too. I do believe that's how it is going to shake out... Bortles at #1... just for fun -

1. Texans take Blake Bortles, QB, UCF - You can't pass on a guy with his talent, and Texans are already moving to send Schaub elsewhere.

2. Falcons take Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina - No way the Falcons can pass on Clowney, who can nearly single-handedly put that team over the top.

3. Jaguars take Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M - Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack could be options, but Manziel has the excitement to energize the fan base, something the team desperately needs.

4. Browns take Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn - Robinson is just too good. The Browns can ill afford to waste another high pick on a QB with question marks. Robinson is a sure thing, and I think they really like Hoyer coming back next season.

5. Raiders take Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo - Position of need for Oakland, and Mack's stock is sky high. Bridgewater still falling after a bad pro day.

6. Rams take Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M - Could also take Lewan here, flip a coin. But the Rams really need a tackle.

7. Buccaneers take Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan - I think the Bucs will pick up a QB, but they also have to replace LT Donald Penn (free agency), and give McCown a chance. If you're going to draft a prospect QB, might as well do it later, seeing as you already have a prospect QB in-house in Glennon. Anthony Barr also could land here.

8. Vikings take Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville - I'm not in love with this pick, but the Vikings are clearly scrambling for solutions after Ponder's inauspicious first couple of seasons. Sammy Watkins should be the guy, would've formed a ridiculous tandem with Cordarelle Patterson.

9. Bills take Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson - Bills will want to give EJ Manuel a chance to succeed. He needs weapons, and Stevie Brown needs to be replaced. Robert Woods is a fine #2, but Watkins is the guy that can grow with Manuel.

10. Lions take Anthony Barr, DE/OLB, UCLA - Some have Evans here. I don't like the fit. Barr gives them a guy that can line up on passing downs across from Ezekiel Ansah, and make a strength even stronger. The Lions continue to try to make their defense what people talk about when they think about Detroit. I also see Dennard as a strong fit and possibility here.

11. Titans take Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M - Aggie pride as the third A&M player goes in the top 11 picks. I'd love for the Titans to take Dennard here. Or surprise everyone and take Derek Carr. Or even Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. But Evans is the playmaker that Britt was supposed to be.

12. Giants take Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt - I watched some tape of Donald, and on one play against Duke, he penetrated the backfield, and tackled both the QB AND the RB. That's a pretty good defense for the read option, just take both of them down! A defensive tackle doesn't really excite me, and I wanted more at 12. But Donald is the top guy at his position. And he is a big dude that can move really fast. He also would be a great fit for the Giants. Yes, Ebron would also be a good fit and McAdoo would love him. But I think you get more bang for your buck later at TE. I almost took Zack Martin here, who would be a great pick, a versatile offensive lineman that can play tackle or guard. But Donald is the best player available, in my opinion. Evans was the guy I wanted, I just don't see him slipping past Tennessee.

I'll do the rest later. I really do believe this is a plausible scenario for how this draft might play out. And Donald would be a dominant presence inside, and would love to see him play next to a healthy JPP. But boy do I want Evans.

I actually had Donald a week ago to us and decided to go Ebron just cause damn I would love a receiving TE.

I actually had Donald a week ago to us and decided to go Ebron just cause damn I would love a receiving TE.

I'd be happy with either Donald or Ebron. Also DT RaShede Hagemen 6'6 315lbs from Minnesota is an absolute monster. They are comparing him to JJ Watt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664241/rashede-hageman

STRENGTHS: Alternately lining up over the nose or as a three-technique, Hageman consistently pushes his counterparts deep into the backfield, demonstrating rare upfield burst for a man of his size, as well as impressive strength. A brute in the middle, combining excellent size and power to push blockers deep into the pocket.

WEAKNESSES: At times struggles to locate the football quickly, can appear a bit stiff changing directions and shows just average speed and determination in pursuit, despite being subbed often. Had two potential big tackles for losses negated by facemask penalties against Minnesota in 2013.

--Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW They don't come much more physically imposing than Hageman, whose broad shoulders, long arms and trim waist have generated comparisons from J.J. Watt to John Henderson.

Hageman's physical tools are exciting and his rise from a tough childhood is inspirational, but best of all is his DL versatility. Hagemen looks more like a modern day offensive tackle, possessing broad shoulders, long arms and a relatively trim waist. He remains a bit raw but possesses first round traits. (11/1/13)

With Nassib in our deck of cards, and the huge QB need right now by so many teams - the Giants have some moving room in the draft.

My favorite scenario is that some team drafting between 16-22 offers the Giants their 2nd and next year's 1st to move up to the 12th pick. Then the Giants take Martin, have 2 2nd rounders, and next year is a blast with 2 first rounders!

I can name a lot of sports where little guys won battles with bigger guys (Dave Meggett, Spud Webb, hopefully this new punt returner of ours Holliday, etc.).

But I can't name a single small guy on an offensive line dominating (or even holding his own) against NFL conditioned defensive linemen.

Chris Snee, O'Hara, and Richie might have something to say about that... all 3 were "undersized" for OLs.. which oddly enough is how I like my linemen.. short & stocky... gives them instant advantage against defenders.

Our #12 pick, obviously, probably our 3rd rounder to go with the first. That's a little of an overpay, but the Lions would want a premium.

Now way the Giants give up a 3rd to move up 2 spots... I'd be pissed. I say stay put and grab BPA... or trade down and pick up an extra pick.

With Nassib in our deck of cards, and the huge QB need right now by so many teams - the Giants have some moving room in the draft.

My favorite scenario is that some team drafting between 16-22 offers the Giants their 2nd and next year's 1st to move up to the 12th pick. Then the Giants take Martin, have 2 2nd rounders, and next year is a blast with 2 first rounders!

I think we're overvaluing Nassib... for all intents and purposes he's a rookie again this year since he didn't get hands on experience last year. The Giants' best bet is to keep him at 2nd string and maybe maybe an eventual replacement to Eli assuming he has the skills to do so.

Nassib is worthless in any trade right now. There are about to be plenty of project QB's available in this draft that won't need a forfeiture of another draft pick to acquire.

That was the big problem many of us had with the pick last year. It makes some sense if Nassib had any reasonable expectation of seeing some playing time, in which he might build some value. But he won't, because Eli never misses a game. He will get some preseason work, which is a bfd to other GMs. A guy like Nassib is a dime a dozen, a mid-round QB project who was touted last year because it was a weak QB class. Besides, if you are going to trade for a QB, there are plenty of other options that at least teams know about. Schaub is about to be traded, a guy who has had some real NFL success, and the Texans are going to get a late rounder for him, maybe a 6th or 7th round pick. You have Glennon that could be traded, and at least he's played some and performed better than Freeman (not saying much), and he would MAYBE bring a 2015 6th rounder.

Just like nobody is scrambling to trade for 2011's Ricky Stanzi. There was talk Mike Kafka MAYBE had some trade value at one point, because he flashed for the Eagles in the preseason, but instead he has been released by 3 different teams.

Nobody's going to trade for Nassib at this point. He's an unproven, mid-round QB who didn't get picked early in maybe the weakest QB class in recent memory. Guys like that get released and signed by another team willing to take a flyer. Unless Nassib proves something with meaningful playing time, he is what he is, a low-priced back up QB.

Just making sure I killed the whole trade value for Nassib argument sufficiently. It's really a conversation that has gone on for far too long and isn't even worth having. It's preposterous.

Nassib is worthless in any trade right now. There are about to be plenty of project QB's available in this draft that won't need a forfeiture of another draft pick to acquire.

That was the big problem many of us had with the pick last year. It makes some sense if Nassib had any reasonable expectation of seeing some playing time, in which he might build some value. But he won't, because Eli never misses a game. He will get some preseason work, which is a bfd to other GMs. A guy like Nassib is a dime a dozen, a mid-round QB project who was touted last year because it was a weak QB class. Besides, if you are going to trade for a QB, there are plenty of other options that at least teams know about. Schaub is about to be traded, a guy who has had some real NFL success, and the Texans are going to get a late rounder for him, maybe a 6th or 7th round pick. You have Glennon that could be traded, and at least he's played some and performed better than Freeman (not saying much), and he would MAYBE bring a 2015 6th rounder.

Just like nobody is scrambling to trade for 2011's Ricky Stanzi. There was talk Mike Kafka MAYBE had some trade value at one point, because he flashed for the Eagles in the preseason, but instead he has been released by 3 different teams.

Nobody's going to trade for Nassib at this point. He's an unproven, mid-round QB who didn't get picked early in maybe the weakest QB class in recent memory. Guys like that get released and signed by another team willing to take a flyer. Unless Nassib proves something with meaningful playing time, he is what he is, a low-priced back up QB.

Just making sure I killed the whole trade value for Nassib argument sufficiently. It's really a conversation that has gone on for far too long and isn't even worth having. It's preposterous.

Yep, well done :TU:

Bleedin', I do love your idea of trading down and still getting Martin. I think Martin is going to go well before 22, but maybe he could last from 14-17... and acquiring an extra 2nd would be fantastic. No way we would get a first next year, though. Martin is a favorite of mine in this draft. I just have Donald a little higher at 12, otherwise, I would love Martin.

I don't entirely disagree with you on Ebron, either. I do like him, mainly because I think McAdoo would really utilize him well and if we don't get Evans, he's the next best guy in this draft that could pull some attention away from Cruz. However, it's not like Ebron isn't without considerable risk. And you look at the other TE's that could be had a little later like Amaro, Sefarian-Jenkins, or Fiedorowicz... those guys might be great TE's in the NFL, too, and you can wait for them.

I watched Nassib for 4 years at Syracuse. He's the real deal - cerebral, strong arm, doesn't get shaken in the pocket, and savvy as hell.

He was graded a first round pick by many including as the overall best QB in the class. Just because we stole him in the 4th doesn't automatically pigeon hole him as a "mid-round draft pick". There were reasons other teams passed on him and it wasn't because of his talent, it was because they had more pressing needs or they preferred a "running QB" like RGIII or a younger Vick. Had we not grabbed him, the Eagles would've jumped all over him a couple picks later. I think that was the primary reason the Giants threw away a 5th in order to jump ahead of a division rival.

Nassib is not a chump. Given the opportunity, he'll shine with the best of them. Unfortunately, he's not going to get to shine while sitting behind Eli.

I watched Nassib for 4 years at Syracuse. He's the real deal - cerebral, strong arm, doesn't get shaken in the pocket, and savvy as hell.

He was graded a first round pick by many including as the overall best QB in the class. Just because we stole him in the 4th doesn't automatically pigeon hole him as a "mid-round draft pick". There were reasons other teams passed on him and it wasn't because of his talent, it was because they had more pressing needs or they preferred a "running QB" like RGIII or a younger Vick. Had we not grabbed him, the Eagles would've jumped all over him a couple picks later. I think that was the primary reason the Giants threw away a 5th in order to jump ahead of a division rival.

Nassib is not a chump. Given the opportunity, he'll shine with the best of them. Unfortunately, he's not going to get to shine while sitting behind Eli.

Let Eli start the season on his 27 ints/year pace and see how long it takes Nassib to get in there...I think the lack of an extension for Eli is telling (and surprising). Sure a lot of it has to do with Eli's camp not wanting to restructure after a poor year...but I don't think the Giants are pushing for that meeting either at this point.

Even the rash of FA signings this offseason are uncharacteristic of the Giants and it could speak to their gearing up for one last go for the SB under Eli before having to blow it all up.

Great commentary on Nassib.....basically, it was at least 2 years premature to start thinking about Eli's replacement.

Listen, if we were in 2002, and had 2 years left with Kerry Collins, I'd be jumping up and down with getting a guy like Nassib in the 4th.

But fact is, Eli is maybe the most durable QB in the game, and when Nassib was drafted, had a 5-6 year window. A guy like Nassib makes sense next season, or in 2016.....it was a premature pick, because IF he develops any value, he'll be inside the UFA window and we'll have to pay through the nose to retain him - as a backup to Eli.

Then again, maybe they don't re-sign Eli, and Nassib is the starter in 2016.

Let Eli start the season on his 27 ints/year pace and see how long it takes Nassib to get in there...I think the lack of an extension for Eli is telling (and surprising). Sure a lot of it has to do with Eli's camp not wanting to restructure after a poor year...but I don't think the Giants are pushing for that meeting either at this point.

Even the rash of FA signings this offseason are uncharacteristic of the Giants and it could speak to their gearing up for one last go for the SB under Eli before having to blow it all up.

My guess is that from Mara on down, they figure let's rebuild the line, give him an offensive coordinator that didn't peak in the 1990s, and see what he can do with a little more help.

If Eli rebounds with a solid 2014 campaign (and I'm highly confident he will, if they patch the line).....then after 2014, they move agressively to rework a new deal that keep him off the free agent market in 2016.