SportsWrath

Gilbride finally speaks...LOL

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/34820/big-blue-morning-gilbride-speaks

“I’m kind of surprised to hear him say that,” Gilbride said when asked about general manager Jerry Reese saying it was time for a change. “No one had figured that offense out for 24 years. To think that they figured it out this year would be pretty ludicrous. I think it was pretty obvious what the problems were. We had a confluence of injuries, we were very weak on the offensive line. We had some guys who struggled. We started six different offensive tailbacks, three different fullbacks, three different right guards, four different centers … You’re not going to have anything (with that). You can say it’s the offense, but it’s pretty clear what the problem was.”

I agree with him about the injuries, but to say that nobody had figured his offense out for 24 years is a proof he needed to go.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/34820/big-blue-morning-gilbride-speaks

I agree with him about the injuries, but to say that nobody had figured his offense out for 24 years is a proof he needed to go.

I agree with him that the roster was the biggest problem....and that's all on Reese.

At the same time, his comments also speak to his obstinacy.......he thought he had a perfect system, regardless of his opponent, and his roster. It was a huge reason why they blew the Dallas game, which could have salvaged their season.......fucking Dallas was completely defenseless against the run, but Gilbride just had to keep airballing it.....even Eli openly wondered in the postgame why they didn't just keep it on the ground.

When you are tearing off 8-9 yards a clip on the ground.....and you don't keep it on the ground.....and you lose....and your season is over with a month to go.......it's time to spend more time with your family.

I think McAdoo can do more with less.

Like has been said,he's partially right. And he did have a right to defend himself about jernigan. Its a falsehood tosay he didn't get chances and finally played well when he did. He was getting plenty of snaps before putting it together.

Well, to be fair, I can't blame him for speaking out. Mara and Reese have done a pretty thorough job running his name through the mud. And it's not like Jernigan hasn't gotten playing time before the last couple of games.

Gilbride may/may not have been part of the problem, but everything else he said has been discussed all off season. There is truth to it.

Well, to be fair, I can't blame him for speaking out. Mara and Reese have done a pretty thorough job running his name through the mud. And it's not like Jernigan hasn't gotten playing time before the last couple of games.

Gilbride may/may not have been part of the problem, but everything else he said has been discussed all off season. There is truth to it.

Absolutely. In fact, I'm glad Gilbride can be honest now, because between him and Diehl, it's pretty clear that the problem was with the offensive line. And really, Reese is responsible for the state of the offensive line.

And as far as Jernigan goes......it was Gilbride, NOT Reese, who believed in Jernigan and Cruz while Reese was pushing Brandon Stokley on them.

There was clearly a disconnect between Gilbride and Reese that dated back prior to this season.

http://nypost.com/2011/09/16/giants-gilbride-would-rather-use-young-receivers/

September 16, 2011 | 5:50am

While Kevin Gilbride was second-guessed by Ahmad Bradshaw, the Giants offensive coordinator wasn’t above a little second-guessing of his own yesterday.

The Giants announced the signing of 35-year-old wide receiver Brandon Stokley, a move that didn’t exactly earn a ringing endorsement from Gilbride.

“The powers above me made that decision [that] we needed to add this additional receiver,” Gilbride said.

That comment appeared to be directed at GM Jerry Reese. Gilbride’s immediate boss — Tom Coughlin — appeared very much in favor of bringing in Stokley to play the role of slot receiver.

Gilbride, who said he favored using young receivers Victor Cruz or Jerrel Jernigan in the slot instead of adding Stokley, also made two specific references to former slot receiver Steve Smith.

That’s a touchy subject around the Giants because Reese appeared to dither with Smith in free agency this summer because of concerns about his knee, prompting a dismayed Smith to sign with the rival Eagles.

“We had wanted all along Steve Smith back, and that was the objective, that was the hope and the expectation,” Gilbride said. “But when that didn’t happen, then we have two young guys [Cruz and Jernigan] that we think can do it.”

But Reese obviously disagreed after watching Cruz and Domenik Hixon fail to fill the slot role in last Sunday’s 28-14 opening loss to the Redskins, prompting the Giants to reach out to Stokley.

The Giants also worked out receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh on Wednesday, but went with the well-traveled Stokley (five teams) in part because of his familiarity with Eli Manning.

Stokley, a native of Louisiana who scored a touchdown for the Ravens against the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV, said yesterday he has been catching passes from Manning since Eli was in high school. Stokley worked (and still works) the annual Manning family passing camps in New Orleans.

Stokley’s task now is to try to learn the offense quick enough to play a meaningful role as soon as Monday night’s home opener against the Rams at MetLife Stadium

“Anytime you can have a person who can move the chains and keep the offense on the field is pretty valuable to the offense,” said Stokley, who has 338 catches and 34 touchdowns in his 12-year career. “Hopefully I can help here.”

Despite having no say in Stokley’s arrival, Gilbride endorsed the veteran wideout — if only, it seemed, to reference once again the player whose exit created the void in the first place.

“I think [stokley] will bring something to the table that we are looking forward to having and what we were really in need of since Steve Smith’s injury,” Gilbride said.

I like Gilly. And he's right about injuries, an offensive line that was a sieve, and rotating "C" players in key spots. But heck, my granddaughter had his offensive schemes figured out before she started kindergarten.

How many times I screamed for him to go to a no-huddle. How many times I yelled at the TV for not having a viable tactic to bust down the red zone...and renaming it the "green zone" is NOT a tactic, but an admission he hasn't figured it out.

Regardless - his time was done. He had some great years and has a couple of rings many coordinators would kill for. Time for him smoke a 50.00 celebration cigar, take up drinking, and watch the games on TV while bragging to his grandkids about his glory days.

I like Gilly. And he's right about injuries, an offensive line that was a sieve, and rotating "C" players in key spots. But heck, my granddaughter had his offensive schemes figured out before she started kindergarten.

How many times I screamed for him to go to a no-huddle. How many times I yelled at the TV for not having a viable tactic to bust down the red zone...and renaming it the "green zone" is NOT a tactic, but an admission he hasn't figured it out.

Regardless - his time was done. He had some great years and has a couple of rings many coordinators would kill for. Time for him smoke a 50.00 celebration cigar, take up drinking, and watch the games on TV while bragging to his grandkids about his glory days.

Glad your granddaughter figured them out--wish Reuben Randle could have done the same...

He does make good points, unfortunately it's after the "24 years" comment, which just makes him look arrogant and bitter.

Agreed. It's the only part of his comment that was downright absurd.

He does make good points, unfortunately it's after the "24 years" comment, which just makes him look arrogant and bitter.

Well, seems like the Giants QB-WR tandem never fully figured out his offense either.

Still though, Gilbride deserves a ton of credit......when he had a decent line (thanks Ernie), and when his receivers ran the proper route option, this offense moved in huge chunks.

Ahh yes, Gilly. In 24 years, nobody figured your offense out.

When the Giants were lining up to attempt their game-tying two-point conversion, I heard plenty of armchair offensive coordinators — myself included — correctly predict the shotgun draw play that Andre Brown scored on. In doing a quick Twitter poll, I found a lot of you were on the same page, too.

That got me thinking: How predictable is the Giants offense in any given game? And at its core, how effective is it still?

First, here’s a breakdown of every personnel grouping the Giants used on Sunday, and how many times they used each one (you add in 5 offensive lineman plus 1 quarterback and the rest are receivers).

12 personnel (1 running back, 2 TE): 7
20 personnel (2 running backs, 0 TE): 5
21 personnel (2 running backs, 1 TE): 20
22 personnel (2 running backs, 2 TE): 4
02 personnel (0 running backs, 2 TE): 1
10 personnel (1 running back, 0 TE): 2
11 personnel (1 running back, 1 TE): 28

Total No. of snaps = 67, 12 total drives.

Next, we took a look at how many times Gilbride ran or passed out of each formation:

12 personnel: 6 runs and 1 pass (Manning was sacked). (86 percent runs)
20 personnel: All 5 were run plays (100 percent runs)
21 personnel: 12 plays were runs, 8 plays were passes (60 percent runs)
02 personnel: Pass, obviously (100 percent passes)
10 personnel: Both passes (100 percent passes)
11 personnel: 22 passes, 4 runs, one delay of game and one neutral zone infraction (85 percent passes on non-penalty plays).

So his most unpredictable formation, the two running back, one TE set, was used on just 30 percent of the total snaps. All other formations, some with a very limited sample size, were far more unbalanced.

After that, we tried to measure the offense’s success rate, based on a grading scale one defensive coordinator provided me (this is just one way of thinking about things, obviously):

Did first down net four or more yards? Did second down cut the remaining distance in half? Did third down convert?

In the 11 personnel grouping, the one Gilbride used for the majority of plays, he had 11
“successful” plays and 17 “unsuccessful” plays. Three of the successful plays were penalties on Dallas, though (Neutral zone infraction, pass interference and illegal use of the hands). Two of the unsuccessful plays (holding, delay of game) were also unsuccessful.

Some other interesting notes: None of the plays the Giants used in the 22 grouping were, by this scale, considered a success. The Giants had success on 60 percent of their plays out of the 21 grouping. Five of the seven plays run out of the “12” formation were also successful.

What about Gilbride's ability to adjust given he didn't have the personnel to carry out his system?

Yes, we got hit with injuries and yes, depth falls on the front office...but when things clearly weren't working...it took WEEKS, not a half a game, not a quarter, not a couple of drives or plays...but WEEKS before Gilbride was able to get the offense in gear.

And now, to say that nobody figured out the offense...that's just being a pompous ass.

So without a doubt, I'm glad to see the guy go.

Never been a huge Gilbride fan, but hard to argue with this:

"I think they finally realize there are areas that need to be addressed," the former offensive coordinator said of the obvious deficiencies in line depth and lack of talent at other positions that led to last season's 7-9 record. "I certainly have expressed those concerns for a number of years. It wasn't a matter of if, it was a matter of when it was going to happen. It really started happening the year before and we were able to fight through it a little bit, but this year the confluence of injuries were just too many."

Bottom line.....Coughlin and Eli deserve alot of credit for 2 SB wins. Reese added his share of guys, but the offensive line and defense line were both Ernie Accorsi productions.

They were clearly not the most talented team in either year, and that's a reflection of how good a coach Coughlin is. I also think Eli squeezed as much out of Gilbride's system as he could.

Let's face it.....the 2011 Giants lucked out......they had a Coach who got players to overachieve, and a QB that once again made some sick clutch plays.

Reese should have realized he won the jackpot with a pair of 10s. Instead, he mistook a hot streak for a sign that his approach was infallible, and it bit him in the ass. He's missed repeatedly on the OL, and his regard for LB and TE have been disdainful. The result can be seen in 2012 and 2013, and it's a downward arc.

As years pass, Ernie's fingerprints have faded, and this becomes more and more Reese's team.

Last year, all that remained from the Ernie Era was Eli, Coughlin, and a few scattered aging veterans. The bulk of the team is now a product of Reese's decisions. And not coincidentally, 2013 was the worst year since Coughlin became head coach.

I've been a frequent critic of Gilbride, but in my thinking, he deserves more credit for the team's success than Reese does. And now he's gone, so they won't have The Magic Mustache to kick around anymore.

I do think McAdoo will be an upgrade, though.

not the first time he's spoken and not the first time he's lacked any semblance of accountability either.

eli and the talent on offense completely carried his ass in the last superbowl run and he has the nerve to bitch about injuries (every team has them) and personnel. good riddance.

Never been a huge Gilbride fan, but hard to argue with this:

Bottom line.....Coughlin and Eli deserve alot of credit for 2 SB wins. Reese added his share of guys, but the offensive line and defense line were both Ernie Accorsi productions.

They were clearly not the most talented team in either year, and that's a reflection of how good a coach Coughlin is. I also think Eli squeezed as much out of Gilbride's system as he could.

Let's face it.....the 2011 Giants lucked out......they had a Coach who got players to overachieve, and a QB that once again made some sick clutch plays.

Reese should have realized he won the jackpot with a pair of 10s. Instead, he mistook a hot streak for a sign that his approach was infallible, and it bit him in the ass. He's missed repeatedly on the OL, and his regard for LB and TE have been disdainful. The result can be seen in 2012 and 2013, and it's a downward arc.

As years pass, Ernie's fingerprints have faded, and this becomes more and more Reese's team.

Last year, all that remained from the Ernie Era was Eli, Coughlin, and a few scattered aging veterans. The bulk of the team is now a product of Reese's decisions. And not coincidentally, 2013 was the worst year since Coughlin became head coach.

I've been a frequent critic of Gilbride, but in my thinking, he deserves more credit for the team's success than Reese does. And now he's gone, so they won't have The Magic Mustache to kick around anymore.

I do think McAdoo will be an upgrade, though.

Agree. People forget how much penetration the line was giving up regularly in 2011. If it wasn't for Eli's pocket awareness, we wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs that year. And it wasn't until the playoff run that the defense decided to show up.

Not sure how people can praise Coughlin, but not credit Gilbride for getting production out of a QB, 3 WRs, and not much else. Water under the bridge--let's hope McAdoo is an upgrade.

But before we go sucking off Accorsi for that oline, let's not forget he also gave us that 2003 Hatch-Allen line. Let's hope this year is like 2004.

Agree. People forget how much penetration the line was giving up regularly in 2011. If it wasn't for Eli's pocket awareness, we wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs that year. And it wasn't until the playoff run that the defense decided to show up.

Not sure how people can praise Coughlin, but not credit Gilbride for getting production out of a QB, 3 WRs, and not much else. Water under the bridge--let's hope McAdoo is an upgrade.

But before we go sucking off Accorsi for that oline, let's not forget he also gave us that 2003 Hatch-Allen line. Let's hope this year is like 2004.

True.....Accorsi looks better the farther away he is from the team.

Here's my list of 2013 Problems (in order of severity):

#1.....Roster (Reese)

#2.....Injuries (nature of game; really, applies to all teams, and probably shouldn't be on the list, because this gets back to #1 and #3)

#3.....Gilbride (could not do more with less; gameplan against Dallas flew in the face of what was happening on the field.....pushed the pass against a defense that was incapable of stopping them on the ground; that was the most important game of the season, and Gilbride couldn't exploit a glaring weakness)

#4......Eli (he tried to do it all......and did all of it pretty poorly)

#5......JPP (all talk, no action, mishandled the timing of his surgery, shoudn't have been on the field at all, but managed to run his mouth enough to fire up Dallas in the biggest game of the season. Was a complete no-show during that game, too).

#6......Fewell (didn't change approach until halftime of Game 6, when the season was on the verge of collapse; once again, he needed a player intervention to point out his system was so complicated it was hampering their ability to play with speed and instinct.....and since this was a repeat of what happened in 2011, there's really no excuse for it).

#7.......Coughlin (should have forced changes on Gilbride and Fewell before the season got out of control. Should have demanded Gilbride to keep it on the ground v. Dallas......Lord knows Parcells would have broken the clipboard over Gilbride's head that game......the "New Nice" Coughlin might have needed some Old School Coughlin before the team dropped to 0-6 and the season was on life support).

Maybe JPP deserves to be in the "roster" category (#1), but he's an established veteran.

I was going to mention Beatty, but frankly, he's had one good season, so I really can't even call him established....unlike JPP, he was 100% healthy the entire year.

Wow I can't believe he said nobody figured it out for 24 years. His offense worked because of the talented players at the positions that were critical to the success of that offense.

Hope deep down he knows the only reason for his leaving the NFL as a coordinator and not a head coach.

I agree with him that the roster was the biggest problem....and that's all on Reese.

At the same time, his comments also speak to his obstinacy.......he thought he had a perfect system, regardless of his opponent, and his roster. It was a huge reason why they blew the Dallas game, which could have salvaged their season.......fucking Dallas was completely defenseless against the run, but Gilbride just had to keep airballing it.....even Eli openly wondered in the postgame why they didn't just keep it on the ground.

When you are tearing off 8-9 yards a clip on the ground.....and you don't keep it on the ground.....and you lose....and your season is over with a month to go.......it's time to spend more time with your family.

I think McAdoo can do more with less.

I can't believe you would even question the brilliance of reverse offense. "They can't stop the run so we're going to stick with our second half format of passing on first and second down and running for hashmark position on third down so we can kick the field goal oh wait, what, we're still on our side of the field?"

We can only hope McAdoo can do more with less.

Gilbride should look up some fellas named Fassel and Payton. They figured it out.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't those two have some serious red zone problems, too?

It seems like forever that the line/backs couldn't punch it in at the goal line.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't those two have some serious red zone problems, too?

It seems like forever that the line/backs couldn't punch it in at the goal line.

yup. i think for a couple of seasons there, they had excellent red zone efficiency. Then it sucked and Jim took over the play calling and yada yada yada.

not the first time he's spoken and not the first time he's lacked any semblance of accountability either.

eli and the talent on offense completely carried his ass in the last superbowl run and he has the nerve to bitch about injuries (every team has them) and personnel. good riddance.

who is this guy

Herc Strizzo · Top Commenter
pathetic lack of accountability