SportsWrath

Giant beat writers Talking about Reece interview today

Lughead

Reese said that JPP's shoulder ws the bigger issue for him than his recovery from back surgery.

Reese says he thinks Hakeem Nicks "has to stay healthy and focus more on what he's doing.'' #nyg

Reese on David Wilson: "Our medical staff thinks he'll be ready to play this year.'' Cautions necks can be tricky. #nyg

Reese says about Justin Tuck what he said at this time last year: "I still think he has some tread left on his tires." #NYG

"You can see his confidence grow as the season went on,'' Reese said of rookie QB Ryan Nassib's practices. #nyg

Mara said he doesn’t think there will be a decision on OC this week. Said there could be more candidates they'll talk to.

Mara on timetable 4 OC search: "I'm not sure how soon you'll see" a hire. Acknowledges four we know, says there may be more

East Rutherford, NJ - General manager Jerry Reese said today that running back David Wilsonicon-article-link.gif will undergo neck surgery and that the football future of the Giants’ 2012 first-round draft choice is uncertain.

“You have to look at him differently, because he’s got the whole neck issue hovering over him right now,” Reese said in an interview on New York radio station WFAN. “So he’s got to come back and be healthy, number one. He’s planning to have surgery, and we’ll see how that comes out. Our medical staff feels like he’ll be ready to play this fall, but the neck and back - that’s pretty tricky. So you never know.

Jason Pierre-Paulicon-article-link.gif had a back (injury), and he was just a shell of what he was a couple years ago. So those things can be pretty tricky. So I think you can’t go into the season saying, ‘Well, David, he’ll be healthy and ready to go.’ We saw in the preseason a couple times he can be a dynamic player and he can be a dynamic kick returner and you can throw a short pass to him and he can make a big play with it. But right now, we’re just trying to get him healthy and get him back out there. That’s what’s most important for us right now, to get him healthy.”

Wilson will have a fusion of the vertebrae to repair the herniated disc in his neck. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Frank Cammisa at the Hospital of Special Surgery on January 16.

In an earlier interview on WFAN, John Mara was asked about Wilson’s status.

“We’re hopeful that David will be able to play for us again next year,” Mara said. “Time will tell on that one.”

Paul Schwartz@NYPost_Schwartz

John Mara would like to see Hakeem Nicks re-signed. Will it happen?

John Mara would like to see Hakeem Nicks re-signed. Will it happen? He says ...

... "He was a great player for us his first three years and this was not his best year for sure. I still think he can be a very good player. Hopefully it will be with us but if not then hopefully he’ll do it for somebody else. I still think he’s a quality NFL receiver

Jerry Reese on Hakeem Nicks, Justin Tuck and "the hardest part of my job.'' More here:

"Nicks didn’t have the year he wanted to have but I still think he could be a good football player,'' Reese said. "He just has to stay healthy and focus more on what he’s doing.

"Justin Tuck played better than he’s played in two or three years. I think he’s got some tread left on his tires and there’s gonna be some tough decisions to make on those type of players. That’s probably the hardest part of my job here, when do you walk away from a player and when do you try to keep a veteran player like those guys.

Reese is definitely going to have his job cut out for him when it comes to who to bring back.

Looking at the roster as is and a short list choosing between players at each position:

Peyton Hillis over Andre Brown: I like the change of pace, short yardage, and blocking ability of Hillis.

John Conner over Henry Hynoski: Easiest choice on the roster

Brandon Myers and Bear Pascoe can both go.

Kevin Boothe and Jim Cordle for one more year and we take the potential hit cutting Baas.

Jon Beason over everyone else at LB (Paysinger, Rivers, Herzlich)

Thomas over Ross: Cross your fingers with McBride

Ryan Mundy over Stevie Brown: Mundy I thought had a great season.

Justin Tuck, Linval Joseph and Jon Beason could all be playing elsewhere at the right price. Tuck proved he can still play and he is looking at his last payday signing. Linval Joseph could be looking for his first and Jon Beason played so well I think another team desperate for LB help will pick him up long term and overlook the injury history.

Ralph Vacchiano

John Mara on @WFAN660 on whether he's searchin for Tom Coughlin's successor: "There will come a time when ...

... we have to look at that,” Mara said. “I don’t think the age (Coughlin is 67) is so much a factor. I think we’ll both know when it’s time. He still has the energy of a much, much younger man and he still has the desire and the motivation to win. He wants to win as badly as anybody, he still works just as hard and I think the players still listen to him. I go to practice and I watch him and I watch how he teaches and I watch whether the players are playing attention or whether they’re tuning him out. And I think he still has the ability to motivate them and teach them. That’s something I’ve observed with my own eyes.

"Obviously, the results this year were not what we expected. I think we do need to make some adjustments, particularly with getting some better players in here at certain positions, namely the offensive line among others, and give him a chance to build on that and see what he can do. He’s won before. He didn’t all of a sudden forget how to coach, as some of my letter writers seem to think. The guy is still as good of a coach as there is out there. Let’s see if we can help him by getting him some better personnel.”

how?

The guy was never a speed guy, but having him play on that foot/ankle/knee looks like it took whatever speed and wiggle he had away from him. There's plenty of reasons why the offense was bad this year but Nicks couldn't separate from his defender very often.

Also, if you look at quotes from the beginning of the season about his recovery, it was always, "well, he's at about 90%." It never got to "he's 100%, a full go, really healthy." I think all you'll get out of Nicks for the rest of his career is "he's at 90%."

The guy was never a speed guy, but having him play on that foot/ankle/knee looks like it took whatever speed and wiggle he had away from him. There's plenty of reasons why the offense was bad this year but Nicks couldn't separate from his defender very often.

Also, if you look at quotes from the beginning of the season about his recovery, it was always, "well, he's at about 90%." It never got to "he's 100%, a full go, really healthy." I think all you'll get out of Nicks for the rest of his career is "he's at 90%."

Thats what I'm afraid of too. He doesn't need much separation to be effective...this season he wasn't getting any separation.

On some plays I chalked it up to a lack of effort... but maybe that was just his best. Damn it.

Thats what I'm afraid of too. He doesn't need much separation to be effective...this season he wasn't getting any separation.

On some plays I chalked it up to a lack of effort... but maybe that was just his best. Damn it.

It looks like they're doing the same thing with JPP too. I'm not sure that guy is ever going to be a real force again.

It looks like they're doing the same thing with JPP too. I'm not sure that guy is ever going to be a real force again.

Both Nicks and JPP are very young and should recover nicely... It's sad to see in both cases our coaching staff did to them what Shanahan did to RGIII.

nicks' game has never been predicated on separating from defenders. it's predicated on the qb throwing the ball (about 33% more times than he did this season) at least semi-accurately to him and letting him beat a defender. the only defender who beat him this year was richard sherman who happens to be the best in the world at what he does.

his very first target of the season in the cowboy game he broke free and caught a pass and turned it into a 58 yard gain. that game, the philly game, the charger game all come to mind as far as him getting monster separation

nicks averaged 16 yards per catch--11th in the NFL and the highest of his career since he became a starter. He had 14 plays of 20+ yards (22nd in the NFL). these are measures of explosiveness. the truth is that when the qb and coaching staff cut your targets by literally 1/3rd that your yardage is going to go down (and his only went down about 17%). when the qb stops throwing the ball to you in the red zone or overthrows you when he does throw to you in the end zone you're going to have less TDs.

he's 25. we'll see how done he is next season when he plays for an organization and a coach who actually wants him

nicks' game has never been predicated on separating from defenders. it's predicated on the qb throwing the ball (about 33% more times than he did this season) at least semi-accurately to him and letting him beat a defender. the only defender who beat him this year was richard sherman who happens to be the best in the world at what he does.

his very first target of the season in the cowboy game he broke free and caught a pass and turned it into a 58 yard gain. that game, the philly game, the charger game all come to mind as far as him getting monster separation

nicks averaged 16 yards per catch--11th in the NFL and the highest of his career since he became a starter. He had 14 plays of 20+ yards (22nd in the NFL). these are measures of explosiveness. the truth is that when the qb and coaching staff cut your targets by literally 1/3rd that your yardage is going to go down (and his only went down about 17%). when the qb stops throwing the ball to you in the red zone or overthrows you when he does throw to you in the end zone you're going to have less TDs.

he's 25. we'll see how done he is next season when he plays for an organization and a coach who actually wants him

If the Giants let him walk, it's an indicator that he really is done.

From Steve Smith to Mario Manningham to Marvin Austin to Gibril Wilson, when players leave the Giants their career is effectively over. It's also a testament to how our coaching staff is better than they're given credit for.

From Steve Smith to Mario Manningham to Marvin Austin to Gibril Wilson, when players leave the Giants their career is effectively over. It's also a testament to how our coaching staff is better than they're given credit for.

With respect to Nicks I don't think playing the guy with one leg was very smart.

Derrick Ward, Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard....etc....definitely know when to part ways, for the most part. Shockey did do pretty well with the Saints for a little while, though.