SportsWrath

Nicks doesn't deserve big money

JMFP

Glad to see this thread, if it weren't here already I would have started it.

Talking about better QB play....well, if you tell me our top wide receiver has one on one coverage, I have absolutely no problem with the QB putting up a deep jump ball... that should be an incompletion or a catch by our guy. I really hope nobody is trying to say that Hicks' effort on that Sherman INT was NFL quality effort. It was not the best throw, but it was in the box for his guy to make a play... and Nicks didn't even try. He's once had the best push-off in the business...and he couldn't even be bothered with an OPI.

On the second INT in Hicks' direction, we saw a subpar throw and a wide receiver make no effort to wall off the defender.

Have a nice career in Carolina, Hicks. If this is the kind of effort he puts in, I don't want him back. Nor can I be bothered to spell his name correctly.

Not for nothing... but I'd take Hicks over that crybaby Hudson any day.

game-over-man-game-over.jpg

the team has nothing to play for, if you want to hold that against him at this point then i understand. on the other hand i can pretty much see where he's coming from. he delivers a superbowl, doesn't get an extension, he starts the season by lighting up tampa, gets his foot stepped on on a dirty play, misses a couple of games, then plays out the rest of the season on one leg despite the fact that he was entering a contract season. the giants reward him by paying the dancer who doesn't put up pro bowl numbers without a healthy nicks on the field instead and saying "prove yourself". then they stop throwing the ball to him because the decision had already been made not to bring him back so let's get randle ready for next season.

so now yesterday the giants are getting dominated in a meaningless game, the entire offense was playing "get off the field" by the end of the 1st quarter. the line and qb were terrible. but we're gonna beat up nicks on his effort for not breaking up intercepted balls that shouldn't have been thrown/were badly thrown?

i don't think a guy who isn't trying is putting up 135 yards on a san diego defense that killed denver's pass attack in denver 4 days later. he's in a contract year, nobody stops trying in a contract year.

yeah they need to give him a contract and hardy, gross, munnerlin, ginn are all free agents as well. they're already over 100 mil for next season before having to sign one or more of these guys thanks to those awful contracts for williams and stewart.

I agree 100%... I would run away from Eli's hospital balls myself... live be healthy to play another day...perhaps for another team and a more appreciative fan base. That second Supe absolutely does not happen without Nicks...and you are right...imagine if the Giants had just sat him for a couple more games last year...avoided those dirty sons of a bitches in Carolina...we are in the playoffs either last year or this year... the Giants game plans are fossilized...the offensive line is like the ticket turnstiles at MSG...and Eli is chucking shit up there worse than Dave Brown at this point.

I really love how Nicks took us to a superbowl schpeal that Herc talks about. Man, if the Falcons or Packers could tackle we wouldn't be having this conversation. I like Herc, but the constant excuses for Nicks is funny to me.

That's all I'm really saying about that. I'd trade 2 first rounders for Dez Bryant right now and drive Nicks to the airport.

agreed. He was a man among boys in 2011.

Which makes his decline this season mind boggling to me.

I think the coaching staff ruined him. When your car starts making a funny noise, you don't double the miles you're putting on it, you bring it to the shop.

They're doing the same thing with JPP right now.

agreed. He was a man among boys in 2011.

Which makes his decline this season mind boggling to me.

He's not getting the targets and the ones he does get are mostly poorly-thrown balls. The OLine is worse, Eli is worse and Nicks is suffering for it.

He's not getting the targets and the ones he does get are mostly poorly-thrown balls. The OLine is worse, Eli is worse and Nicks is suffering for it.

true, poor protection will affect the deeper, more slowly developing routes that Hicks is typically assigned.

We can lay some of the blame on offensive design too. Hicks on the slant?.... thats been called what, six, seven times all season? probably because without good tight end play or a good running game, defenses are free to sit on anything Hicks does.

ugh, this team is just a mess. I'm harshing on the guy for lack of effort, but I'm not pretending that effort would have made much difference.

what about the back shoulder play on the sideline? i have seen that play to nicks ONCE this season.

maybe they don't trust our shook qb to throw it accurately since he can't even handle a slant or an end zone fade this season

I really love how Nicks took us to a superbowl schpeal that Herc talks about. Man, if the Falcons or Packers could tackle we wouldn't be having this conversation. I like Herc, but the constant excuses for Nicks is funny to me.

That's all I'm really saying about that. I'd trade 2 first rounders for Dez Bryant right now and drive Nicks to the airport.

Here's how I see it... and yes Herc's love for Nicks is at least imo too lopsided:

Nicks was great his first 2 years here... was. He was hurt last year... his body language this year has been that of an unmotivated player who doesn't want to be here.... This was his contract year.. his chance to shine... step up to the plate and say here I am. Instead he vanished and with him vanished our season... no I'm not blaming him for the season but he's part of the puzzle. Now even if we discount the 2 good years and the 2 bad years... looking ahead.. you're the GM.. which Nicks do you think will show up should you try to sign him? The young guy who lit it up or the guy who.. well.. this guy. I'm afraid Nicks isn't the same player anymore... besides it's not like he was a top 10 WR to begin with... I believe Gmen said he'd sign him for one year to prove his worth... so it's either that or I'd drive him to the airport too.

true, poor protection will affect the deeper, more slowly developing routes that Hicks is typically assigned.

We can lay some of the blame on offensive design too. Hicks on the slant?.... thats been called what, six, seven times all season? probably because without good tight end play or a good running game, defenses are free to sit on anything Hicks does.

ugh, this team is just a mess. I'm harshing on the guy for lack of effort, but I'm not pretending that effort would have made much difference.

Nicks.

Eli's been missing those slants badly all year, throwing behind and either high or at hip level. He's done it to Cruz, Nicks and Randle. And as Herc mentioned there's been no outside shoulder sideline balls that have been the bread and butter of out passing game for years. When they are thrown they're usually favoring the inside defender.

Tree im just as furious with Manning but I still give him the benefit of the doubt because he has made some seriously huge plays for this organization. HUGE. This season was a failure because of the offense as a whole. Now if Manning throws another 25+ int's next year and we don't win 10 games, then I would start to really question his future with the Giants.

That's a pretty big pill to swallow considering the division winner this year could be 8-8.

Nicks.

Eli's been missing those slants badly all year, throwing behind and either high or at hip level. He's done it to Cruz, Nicks and Randle. And as Herc mentioned there's been no outside shoulder sideline balls that have been the bread and butter of out passing game for years. When they are thrown they're usually favoring the inside defender.

Until he plays 60 minutes, and shows that maybe he wants to play for the Giants instead of going home to the Carolinas (screw you and your cap sense, Herc!!), I will refer to him as Hicks.

Hicks just needs to remember: short, controlled bursts.

what about the back shoulder play on the sideline? i have seen that play to nicks ONCE this season.

maybe they don't trust our shook qb to throw it accurately since he can't even handle a slant or an end zone fade this season

yeah, I almost mentioned that route too. That play used to be money, and its like they completely forgot about it.

If they really don't trust Eli to run those plays anymore, then its time to go in a different direction at QB.

yeah, I almost mentioned that route too. That play used to be money, and its like they completely forgot about it.

If they really don't trust Eli to run those plays anymore, then its time to go in a different direction at QB.

Bingo. I'm not sure Eli trusts himself to throw them anymore, and with good reason. But we're not going to win another championship throwing 4 yard dumps to Jernigan.

that's kinda been my point all season on this subject. eli isn't himself and everybody's numbers are down as a result. i want to chalk it up to the him not recovering from the carolina game and the o-line never improving much in pass protection but part of me feels like an entire season is just way too big a pass for him.

im very willing to go into next season with a clean slate and see how he does, but i'm also not going to be surprised if (assuming the o-line is vastly improved) we only improve to a middle of the pack passing offense with nicks gone.

i think eli will be fine with a good offensive line, but the passing game won't be anything special with cruz having to actually be treated like the #1 he's getting paid to be and randle fucking up routes, fumbling and catching a sweet TD now and then

i think eli will be fine with a good offensive line, but the passing game won't be anything special with cruz having to actually be treated like the #1 he's getting paid to be and randle fucking up routes, fumbling and catching a sweet TD now and then

Cruz can't or at least should never be a #1. If the Giants and Nicks part ways which I think is less likely than people think then the giants must find a #1. I think right now emotions are high but I have this feeling both Nicks n Eli file this season as an aberration and start over.