SportsWrath

We need to analyze whats been working for us...

NeMesiS

We drafted a guard and a tackle this year. We've been drafting tackles pretty consistently over the years, and moving them along the line. Koets, McCants, Mosely, Brewer come right to mind. We drafted Mitch Petrus. We have a small fortune invested in Baas and Snee. The line hasn't been ignored, it just hasn't panned out yet, if it ever does. A couple of breaks, a few less injuries (Koets was looking pretty good at center before his knee injury), and we might be praising Reese for his fine management of the oline.

The linebackers were always a risk--I mentioned it months ago; with Conner and Rivers being health concerns, none of our young players appear to have developed into anything of value, and the Curry experiment was a complete failure--this is the worst case scenario.

On the other hand, how do you get a good free agent linebacker when you have to think in terms of re-signing Cruz, Nicks, and JPP? Who else are you going to cut? Rolle, who has definitely been one of the better defensive players on the team? Snee, and replace him with who? Baas we're stuck with for another season because of his contract.

Our linebacker corp has nothing. NOTHING. Its problems would not be solved with a 4th round draft pick. Greene wouldn't be able to pull Herzlich out of the molasses he's apparently mired in; nor would he keep Williams from being dragged a few yards by a running back while holding on for dear life. The LBs needed either Connor or Curry to show something. They didn't. Now we're fucked.

Personally, I'm upset with Myer, who has shown precious little at tight end. Maybe that's where the FA money should have come from. It's going to be a travesty when Robinson comes back and one of the other guys are cut, to keep this crystal lummox.

We better hope that JPP gets into playing form pretty fucking soon--same with Hynoski, or this season is pretty much done. Eli and the receivers showing up to the same game would be kind of nice as well.

The fact of the matter is that in certain areas the talent isn't there; in others, the talent isn't game ready.

And that's the problem. We've been spending late round picks to "develop" talent, but as you say, the talent isn't there. Mosely? He's shown nothing. McCants? He's shown plenty... like he can't hold up against third stringers. I have no idea why he's still with the team. The craptastic linebackers we've drafted (like Greg Jones and Phillip Dillard) aren't even in the league anymore. "Developing talent" is great when there's talent to develop, but otherwise, you have to look to free agency... and we just haven't done that.

I'm glad we re-signed Cruz. I think we can safely let Nicks walk at this point, and I'm getting there with JPP... outside of one All-Pro season, the guy has shown nothing. I'm more than willing to let them go so we could get an impact linebacker and mauling guard.

And that's the problem. We've been spending late round picks to "develop" talent, but as you say, the talent isn't there. Mosely? He's shown nothing. McCants? He's shown plenty... like he can't hold up against third stringers. I have no idea why he's still with the team. The craptastic linebackers we've drafted (like Greg Jones and Phillip Dillard) aren't even in the league anymore. "Developing talent" is great when there's talent to develop, but otherwise, you have to look to free agency... and we just haven't done that.

I'm glad we re-signed Cruz. I think we can safely let Nicks walk at this point, and I'm getting there with JPP... outside of one All-Pro season, the guy has shown nothing. I'm more than willing to let them go so we could get an impact linebacker and mauling guard.

In the past 3 years, the Giants have taken 2 2nd round draft picks at defensive tackle, none of whom were on the field yesterday.

Austin is cut, Hankins was inactive. I'm guessing Hankins will be fine, but Reese has 27 other guys on the defensive line (none of whom have showed up this season, but that's another story), so finding him time won't be easy this season.

Beatty was a 2nd round draft choice. Snee was 2nd round. Pugh was 1st round. Clearly, they are backing up the statistical evidence that says early round linemen provide more bang for the buck than any other position.

Reese is a good GM, but he's blown some early round picks, and that lack of success is becoming evident on the field. He needs to focus on the line early next year, because when you wait until the 5th and 6th rounds for offensive lineman, you get projects, not immediate starters, and I'm getting sick and tired of Reese's science projects.

In the past 3 years, the Giants have taken 2 2nd round draft picks at defensive tackle, none of whom were on the field yesterday.

Austin is cut, Hankins was inactive. I'm guessing Hankins will be fine, but Reese has 27 other guys on the defensive line (none of whom have showed up this season, but that's another story), so finding him time won't be easy this season.

Beatty was a 2nd round draft choice. Snee was 2nd round. Pugh was 1st round. Clearly, they are backing up the statistical evidence that says early round linemen provide more bang for the buck than any other position.

Reese is a good GM, but he's blown some early round picks, and that lack of success is becoming evident on the field. He needs to focus on the line early next year, because when you wait until the 5th and 6th rounds for offensive lineman, you get projects, not immediate starters, and I'm getting sick and tired of Reese's science projects.

It's either that or go to FA and find a mauling guard and center...

You think that's bad... Joseph, Patterson, and Rogers are all up for new contracts after this season. We'll be back on the DT carousel in another six months.

You think that's bad... Joseph, Patterson, and Rogers are all up for new contracts after this season. We'll be back on the DT carousel in another six months.

Awesome .....lets blow out FA wad again there.....maybe pick up another defensive end in the early rounds to sit behind the guy with the bum back, and then look to address a successor to Curtis painter in the mid rounds .....oh also we need to look for another water bug wide receiver that can't make the leap to the pro game.....that's been Reese's last 3 drafts in a nutshell

Awesome .....lets blow out FA wad again there.....maybe pick up another defensive end in the early rounds to sit behind the guy with the bum back, and then look to address a successor to Curtis painter in the mid rounds .....oh also we need to look for another water bug wide receiver that can't make the leap to the pro game.....that's been Reese's last 3 drafts in a nutshell

You forgot the RB that can't follow blocks, can't hang on to the ball and goes 15 yards backwards to gain two yards.

Jesus Joe, how about you give it more than two fucking games before you declare last draft a bust, huh?

I'm not the only one here who has said the OL and LB needs help. This has been going on for alot longer than two games.

I'm not the only one here who has said the OL and LB needs help. This has been going on for alot longer than two games.

It's been going on since our linebacker trio was Antonio Pierce, Kawika Mitchell, and Kiwi.

We replaced Mitchell with nobody. Then we replaced Pierce with nobody. Finally, we replaced Kiwi with nobody.

You can only get away with that for so long.

You forgot the RB that can't follow blocks, can't hang on to the ball and goes 15 yards backwards to gain two yards.

ha, yeah, he had a couple really sweet moves on that run though. He did pretty well to turn that into a 2 yard gain, there was nothing there but lost yardage for most backs.

Wilson, man, I love his potential, but he isn't yet the player I thought he would be.

It is tough to run with 6 or 7 guys mugging you. Wilson had 7 touches, I don't think we will ever see his potential.

Agreed...he was getting swamped, and so was Jacobs. If a defender touches the RB behind the line of scrimmage, that's on the OL.

Doesn't help that Gilbride loves that fucking delayed draw.....lets' give the defense a little more time to get in the backfield.

That doesn't mean the draft was automatically a waste. I love you man, I really do, but you've morphed into Jack so slowly I hardly noticed it.

Just ran into a woman at the local Stop-n-Rob while getting my paper - she grew up in Boston and is a Patriots and Red Sox fan. She said, "Hey...I heard a cute joke", so I said, "lay it on me". So she says, "knock, knock", and I reply, "who's there"? She says, "Owen"....so I say, "Owen who"? She says, "Oh and two....ha,ha,ha"...........bitch!

Then she takes a whack at my Yankees! She calls them the "Yank me's".....stinkin Boston fans!!!

Anyway....trying to think of anything positive to say about this team of ours. I came up empty!

Eli throwing to god-knows-who is a side effect of the Giants read and react offense. Like the one over Randle's head into the end zone, Eli cut that ball loose obviously thinking that Randle was going towards the back right pylon, but then at that moment Randle breaks it off into a hook route. It looks like an ugly INT on the QB, but we can't really know who's fault that was, all we know is that one of the two guys, Randle or Eli, made the wrong read.

if its causing that much confusion and leading to all of these mistakes then they need to change the offense. Whether that's simplifying things I don't know but there's no reason for this to be happening with the receivers we have. Eli and the offense looked like shit in the preseason and while id usually ignore that its obviously carried over. I'm really concerned. We are getting completely bitched out at the line of scrimmage. We retooled the interior of the defensive line but other than that this is the same defense as last year and I don't see any playmakers. We've already used up our leash with a must win already in week 3 but right now I see a team that's one year older and slower than last season and I'm not sure there's a fix coming. We tried to "turn it on" last year against Atlanta and Baltimore and got our shit pushed in. We're still working with the same guys. I have to start seriously considering the idea that this team as constructed is out of time in terms of being a contender. We've been spoiled with consistently competitive football deep into the season so maybe we're due for a bad one.

if its causing that much confusion and leading to all of these mistakes then they need to change the offense. Whether that's simplifying things I don't know but there's no reason for this to be happening with the receivers we have. Eli and the offense looked like shit in the preseason and while id usually ignore that its obviously carried over. I'm really concerned. We are getting completely bitched out at the line of scrimmage. We retooled the interior of the defensive line but other than that this is the same defense as last year and I don't see any playmakers. We've already used up our leash with a must win already in week 3 but right now I see a team that's one year older and slower than last season and I'm not sure there's a fix coming. We tried to "turn it on" last year against Atlanta and Baltimore and got our shit pushed in. We're still working with the same guys. I have to start seriously considering the idea that this team as constructed is out of time in terms of being a contender. We've been spoiled with consistently competitive football deep into the season so maybe we're due for a bad one.

Change it? This is Gilbride's thing, and Coughlin believes in it, it's not changing.

Some of the picks, like the one I was referencing earlier, it reminds me of the days of Shockey and Burress. Toomer was money on this stuff though. Doesn't seem to happen to Cruz or Nicks. I think its all about the players involved - with good communication its damn near unstoppable.