SportsWrath

State of the Giants LBs

Nas

So I'm just echoing what some of you have hinted to.. namely our coachs' inability to develop LBs... we've always touted our TE coach yet we haven't talked much about how terrible (maybe) our LB coaches are... some fans always talk about Coughlin's ass.. but could it be fans should raise hell about the state of our LB Coach situation? I mean I know we've been able to win 2 SB but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to overhaul the atrocity that's our LB Operations. Should us fans be more vocal about this... maybe just maybe we'll get the FO to focus on that side of the equation?

Discuss.

Another thread?

Yea only different. You see I know about our personnel... we know about Joe's grievance... but what we never focused on is the ... errr... inept (maybe?) coaching staff of the position.

Garbage in, garbafe out. Don't blame the coaches until thy squander talent. There's been no talent coming through since Jesse Armstead.

Antonio Pierce was nice for us. Unless you are talking about people we drafted.

Please don't let this post bring Jack back.

I don't think its coaching. I believe it is all about how the organization ranks linebackers compared to other positions. We're talking about a position that has been pretty lackluster for 15 years now with one or two bright spots being the exception.

So I'm just echoing what some of you have hinted to.. namely our coachs' inability to develop LBs... we've always touted our TE coach yet we haven't talked much about how terrible (maybe) our LB coaches are... some fans always talk about Coughlin's ass.. but could it be fans should raise hell about the state of our LB Coach situation? I mean I know we've been able to win 2 SB but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to overhaul the atrocity that's our LB Operations. Should us fans be more vocal about this... maybe just maybe we'll get the FO to focus on that side of the equation?

Discuss.

If the linebackers don't step up, and if the defense finishes near the basement again, Reese will be under intense pressure to add an impact linebacker.

Unfortunately, his linebacker drafts have been weak or non-existent. So we don't have guys in the pipeline like Chicago does.

Chicago landed a guy in the 2nd round (Bostic) that may be good enough to start in Urlacher's old spot.

Then, they drafted a guy in the 4th round (Greene) that will be mentored by Lance Briggs and will become ready to roll when Lance retires. Until then, he'll be an impact player on special teams, and will likely be used in certain schemes to maximize his coverage skills.

The Ravens jumped into the 2nd round and grabbed Arthur Brown....then, in the 4th, they picked up John Simon.

http://youtu.be/AF-LyR-5rqE

The Giants?....they burned a 4th and 6th on a 3rd string QB.

The Giants are forcing the coaching staff to make chicken salad out of chicken feathers......shitty picks, no picks, and dumpster diving for guys who were busts on other teams.......if the Giants had a stud assistant, yeah, maybe he could work with what we've got.

Instead, I think the issue is an average linebacker coach working with mediocre players.....the results speak for themselves.

We've had enough bodies to get at least 1 decent starter. I'm not talking Harry Carson, I'm talking Brandon Short level. Hell, Adrian Tracey started off here as a LB, and had to become a DE--suddenly, he has a shot at making the team? How can a no-talent manage to make this team as a DE?

I'll grant you that we haven't had the best picks in the world, but show me any player in the last few years whose play has improved under this coach. Free agent, draftee, whoever.

dead-horse.gif

LOL...now that's funny!

I have faith in this group of LB's....mainly because I think our D-line is finally going to do their job. I won't complain until we lose several games that were due entirely to the LB's. It's funny, but I'm more concerned with out offense now.

Let's actually talk about the state of the Giants linebackers that we actually have here.

We have projected starters of Dan Connor, Spencer Paysinger, and Keith Rivers. Connor and Paysinger are the most important guys, because they will likely be the ones staying on the field in the nickel.

I'm not really sure what Dan Connor is right now, to be honest. He did look pretty active in the 3rd preseason game. There is a possibility he will be a better player for us than Blackburn. If he's not, he probably will be as passable a MLB as Chase Blackburn. And Herzlich has improved a lot from what I've seen from last year to this year, so I think the drop off behind Connor is minimal if any.

Paysinger I think deserves a ton of recognition. There are few players that have grown every year, done it the right way, and now looks to be a real factor on this defense. There is a reason he is slotted in as Boley's replacement. This coaching staff has confidence in Paysinger. And watching him play, I have confidence in Paysinger. Kudos to Bleedin' for touting him first. I think we will all look at this guy and see a difference maker on the defense. I think he's going to be far more than a warm body on defense. And there is still his backup, Jacquian Williams, who I think we all know who he is at this point. He'll be a pretty good coverage linebacker but not be much of a factor in stopping the run at all.

Keith Rivers will start in the base 4-3 package, and if he's healthy, I think he's a good player. So, for the first 15 minutes of the season, we're set. After that, there will be some shuffling. The good news is that we have the Boz behind him, and that long haired guy conjures up memories of Gary Reasons for me, just the style of his play. With Bosworth, he plays like it's his last day in the NFL (no jokes, Joe). We'll see more of him, but he's a guy I think has potential, and seeing him go after Geno in the endzone really made me smile.

I don't think we're in dire straits at the position, at least to start the season. I really think Paysinger is the key. He has to carry all this momentum in to the season and show why he earned his role on the team. He has to be a force... and I think we've all underrated him, except maybe Bleedin'.

Let's actually talk about the state of the Giants linebackers that we actually have here.

We have projected starters of Dan Connor, Spencer Paysinger, and Keith Rivers. Connor and Paysinger are the most important guys, because they will likely be the ones staying on the field in the nickel.

I'm not really sure what Dan Connor is right now, to be honest. He did look pretty active in the 3rd preseason game. There is a possibility he will be a better player for us than Blackburn. If he's not, he probably will be as passable a MLB as Chase Blackburn. And Herzlich has improved a lot from what I've seen from last year to this year, so I think the drop off behind Connor is minimal if any.

Paysinger I think deserves a ton of recognition. There are few players that have grown every year, done it the right way, and now looks to be a real factor on this defense. There is a reason he is slotted in as Boley's replacement. This coaching staff has confidence in Paysinger. And watching him play, I have confidence in Paysinger. Kudos to Bleedin' for touting him first. I think we will all look at this guy and see a difference maker on the defense. I think he's going to be far more than a warm body on defense. And there is still his backup, Jacquian Williams, who I think we all know who he is at this point. He'll be a pretty good coverage linebacker but not be much of a factor in stopping the run at all.

Keith Rivers will start in the base 4-3 package, and if he's healthy, I think he's a good player. So, for the first 15 minutes of the season, we're set. After that, there will be some shuffling. The good news is that we have the Boz behind him, and that long haired guy conjures up memories of Gary Reasons for me, just the style of his play. With Bosworth, he plays like it's his last day in the NFL (no jokes, Joe). We'll see more of him, but he's a guy I think has potential, and seeing him go after Geno in the endzone really made me smile.

I don't think we're in dire straits at the position, at least to start the season. I really think Paysinger is the key. He has to carry all this momentum in to the season and show why he earned his role on the team. He has to be a force... and I think we've all underrated him, except maybe Bleedin'.

Ha....so if he flames out, I will get run off this board! Oh, and I also touted Curry....duhhh

BTW, I think Naz has touted Paysinger every bit as much as I have.

Regardless...I agree that I think our LB's are better than they are given credit. I didn't think Boz stood a chance at making the team, but the more I see him play, the more I think he's has an NFL future with the Giants. He does play with intensity and he's fun to watch. Maybe he'll turn out to be a future stud.

our linebackers were not good in the second superbowl run

In 2011, Boley had his best season as a pro. Blackburn was re-signed and played very well.

In 2012, Boley was banged up, J-Will couldn't shake a block, and Blackburn didn't have the physical tools to cover for his teammates.

LOL...now that's funny!

I have faith in this group of LB's....mainly because I think our D-line is finally going to do their job. I won't complain until we lose several games that were due entirely to the LB's. It's funny, but I'm more concerned with out offense now.

I would love to have the rose colored glasses you and some other people have.

In 2011, Boley had his best season as a pro. Blackburn was re-signed and played very well.

In 2012, Boley was banged up, J-Will couldn't shake a block, and Blackburn didn't have the physical tools to cover for his teammates.

it still wasn't what anyone would call a good linebacker group. i didn't have a problem with them but i don't think it should be a top priority to do better than that crew

While I am not confident in the LBer situation I do get the emphasis on the DLine over LBers. Since this is a 4-3, mostly, defense the line is where the focus should be over the LBers. Now if this defense was primarily a 3-4 then yes this would much much worse. It'd still be nice though for the Giants to spend money on a LBer or draft one in the first round finally. Can you imagine how great the defense would be with just one stud linebacker. I am also very nervous about Blackburn leaving.