SportsWrath

Eli Speaks Out Concerning Drafting Nassib

BleedinBlue

Eli is all class!

From the Star Ledger (NJ.com)

NEW YORK -- Eli Manning called Ryan Nassib Saturday afternoon, after the Giants traded up to select the former Syracuse quarterback in the fourth round.

Manning, the Giants' two-time Super Bowl MVP, welcomed Nassib to the team and the quarterbacks' room, and told him he's looking forward to getting to work. The addition of a player like Nassib -- a young quarterback to develop behind the face of the franchise -- was something Manning had been expecting at some point soon.

"I think that's pretty normal," Manning said this morning, before leading the March of Dimes' March for Babies, which is expected to raise $3 million for programs to improve the health of babies. "I think it's always good to have a good quarterback to come in and learn and be prepared. You never know what happens in this league, and you always have to have quality players on your team and quarterbacks, and so I think it's a good thing. Looking forward to working with a young guy."

Manning saw the same thing the Giants did: Some talented quarterbacks still on the board when the third day of the draft started yesterday at noon. He recognized the timing was right to make a move.

Manning, 32, said the team drafting a young player at his position -- even one who may never even play for the Giants -- was not a reminder that one day his NFL ride will end, because that's something of which he's always aware.

"I feel like I'm playing at a high level, and this is the prime of my career, and I appreciate my job every day," Manning said. "I'm fortunate that I get to play quarterback in the NFL, and I love all the aspects of the work that goes into it, and I'm still hungry to improve my game and to get better and to win more championships for New York. And so I understand that one day it will end."

Manning continued: "The thing about in this league, you never know when that day comes, and you never know what's going to happen. So you've got to take advantage of it, and work hard, and try to ensure that every year that you play that you're going to do everything you can to try to win a championship."

David Carr, now a 12-year veteran, has been Manning's back-up for four of the past five years. During that span, the Giants have kept just two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. At times there has been a young quarterback on the practice squad, including 2009 fifth-round pick Rhett Bomar, but Nassib's addition brings a new dynamic to the room.

"It will be unique," Manning said, with a smile. "There will be some of the usual small -- not hazing, I think is a strong word -- but just some rookie earning-your-role-as-a-drafted-quarterback-in-the-NFL."

Manning has started 135 consecutive regular-season games, the NFL’s longest active streak. While the Giants said it would be a good thing if they never need to use Nassib, his development and role are still critical assets, whether it be in a call-to-duty, behind-the-scenes film work or potential future trade bait.

Like Manning told Nassib in his phone call yesterday, the quarterback meeting room is a place where the small group works hard and helps each other.

"You try to make each other improve," Manning said. "I'm always competing and trying to be the best I can be each year, and I'll help Ryan in any way I can; trying to get him up to speed on what's going on, and I'll ask him for help also in breaking down film once everything gets started. So looking forward to that relationship."

Looking at the rest of the Giants' draft, Manning liked what the Giants did, including the additions of two offensive linemen: first-rounder Justin Pugh, the former Syracuse tackle, and seventh-rounder Eric Herman, a former Ohio guard.

"Quarterbacks always like when offensive linemen are drafted. You can never have too many qualified offensive linemen on the team, I don't think," Manning said. "I thought we hit a lot of areas and will put us in good position to have a strong year this year."

The Giants' voluntary offseason program continues tomorrow with phase two, when players can take part in on-field instruction and drills, and the offense can work together as a unit (but not against the defense).

I like how most QBs would be offended if a team drafted a QB that may eventually replace them.

Eli is all "Oh I don't know how much longer I have left, NFL is a gift that I enjoy playing, so I'm going to mentor Nassib as much as I can and show him how to be a winner"

Wasn't it Collins who had a big bitch fit and wanted off the Giants when it was apparent that we were going to draft a QB in '04? He didn't want to mentor his replacement.

I like how most QBs would be offended if a team drafted a QB that may eventually replace them.

Eli is all "Oh I don't know how much longer I have left, NFL is a gift that I enjoy playing, so I'm going to mentor Nassib as much as I can and show him how to be a winner"

Wasn't it Collins who had a big bitch fit and wanted off the Giants when it was apparent that we were going to draft a QB in '04? He didn't want to mentor his replacement.

But there is a big difference between getting the 1st player overall, and a 4th round pick.

But there is a big difference between getting the 1st player overall, and a 4th round pick.

Exactly. If the Giants had drafted a 1st round QB I'd think his attitude would not be the same (probably to the media it would be though).