SportsWrath

Your choice, assuming 1st round DT

gmenroc

Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

Kawann Short, Purdue

Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

Jesse Williams, Alabama

Richardson and Short at only 294 and 299 lbs, concerns me. I like my DT to be over the 300 mark to avoid being pushed off the ball by a G or C who is 320-330. Hankins and Williams come in right around 320.

All 4 are 6'3...good height for a DT.

Arm length (knocking down pass ability), has Short leading, followed by Richardson, Hankins, then Williams.

Hankins led these 4 in both the cone and shuttle drills at the combine.

Hankins and Short did not bench, but Williams and Richardson came in at 30 reps.

Hankins also had the better broad jump out of these 4.

Williams comes from Alabama, basically a pro system.

Lastly, CBS sports states about Richardson that, "there is some concern about how motivated he'll remain once he signs a big NFL contract" which turns me off despite his talents...especially if we have contract holdouts and we have to hear about the NFL as a business all time.

If all are available at 19, and you're taking a DT, who do you take?

Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

Kawann Short, Purdue

Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

Jesse Williams, Alabama

Richardson and Short at only 294 and 299 lbs, concerns me. I like my DT to be over the 300 mark to avoid being pushed off the ball by a G or C who is 320-330. Hankins and Williams come in right around 320.

All 4 are 6'3...good height for a DT.

Arm length (knocking down pass ability), has Short leading, followed by Richardson, Hankins, then Williams.

Hankins led these 4 in both the cone and shuttle drills at the combine.

Hankins and Short did not bench, but Williams and Richardson came in at 30 reps.

Hankins also had the better broad jump out of these 4.

Williams comes from Alabama, basically a pro system.

Lastly, CBS sports states about Richardson that, "there is some concern about how motivated he'll remain once he signs a big NFL contract" which turns me off despite his talents...especially if we have contract holdouts and we have to hear about the NFL as a business all time.

If all are available at 19, and you're taking a DT, who do you take?

Who would YOU take? :smartass:

Richardson is a beast. His tape is real, real good. And that's an asinine thing to write about him by CBS sports. Nobody knows how he will be after getting a big contract, and that is unfair criticism. But i see crap like that written every year about prospects that really have little validity, just trying to cause a stir.

We have no shot at Richardson, Hankins is an early second, Short should be a sixth round prospect, Williams offers no pass rush ability. So out of the four none. I do not have the Giants taking a DT in any round.

Richardson is a beast. His tape is real, real good. And that's an asinine thing to write about him by CBS sports. Nobody knows how he will be after getting a big contract, and that is unfair criticism. But i see crap like that written every year about prospects that really have little validity, just trying to cause a stir.

Yeah, his tape is impressive, but I'm also pretty sure it's limited to one year. As for the $$ issue, if CBS was making that up, shame on them. However, if they had some interview or some other information that led them to believe he's got the character where it's ALL about the money/business, than I'm a little leary.

I'm leaning towards Richardson if he's available, but there's something about Williams or Hankins holding the middle, potentially commanding a double team, while JPP, Kiwi, or Tuck run around him.

everything I've read about Richardson, is that he is hard working and a extremely high character. I have no idea, what prompted CBS to write that. Has far has the Giants drafting DT, I do not see. They are high on Kuhn, and I think they bring in a FA. I would like Sammie Lee Hill.

everything I've read about Richardson, is that he is hard working and a extremely high character. I have no idea, what prompted CBS to write that. Has far has the Giants drafting DT, I do not see. They are high on Kuhn, and I think they bring in a FA. I would like Sammie Lee Hill.

Didn't they bring in this guy from the Eagles?

Short would be my choice.

Hankins and Williams.... I'm kinda ehhh on them. Maybe if they fall to the 2nd round at pick 49 (which they may do).

But what the hell do I know. I'm no NFL talent evaluator.... yet :-)

I'm not high on Short, I've heard too much about inconsistency and low motor. I have seen bad tape, where he gets manhandled at the line.

Didn't they bring in this guy from the Eagles?

I do not want Jenkins from the Eagles. Lee Hill is from the Lions, he's only 26, he played behind Suh and Fairley, so he didn't get much time on the field, he made splash plays when he did though.

I'm not high on Short, I've heard too much about inconsistency and low motor. I have seen bad tape, where he gets manhandled at the line.

I've seen good and bad tape on a lot of these guys. It's tough to evaluate. Given that we don't do this professionally, we have to go on a lot of what scouts say. Short's measurables, athleticism, and and production are all good.

Assuming the good DE/LB (Jones, Woerner, Mingo, Moore) or OL don't fall to us at #19, I'd prefer we trade down to 20-32, and pick up some extra draft picks.

I've seen good and bad tape on a lot of these guys. It's tough to evaluate. Given that we don't do this professionally, we have to go on a lot of what scouts say. Short's measurables, athleticism, and and production are all good.

Assuming the good DE/LB (Jones, Woerner, Mingo, Moore) or OL don't fall to us at #19, I'd prefer we trade down to 20-32, and pick up some extra draft picks.

Love Moore and he had a good pro day today. Hoping he's the pick.

I think we've set a precedent in our championship years that pass rush can win it for you and in a copycat league, importance is being placed on the guys who can either get to the QB or keep the other guys off the QB. For that reason, I see the guys you've mentioned (Jones, Werner, Mingo, Moore), the OTs (Johnson, Fisher, Joeckel), the OGs (Cooper, Warmack) all gone by #19. Cooper may be hanging on at that point, but won't last much beyond our pick if he's there at all. But that's 9 guys. Throw in Milliner, Rhodes, and maybe Vaccaro for secondary guys and throw in Patterson and/or Allen..oh, and you know someone, Buffalo or the Jets or Raiders will make a move at Geno Smith, not to mention the DTs that are just too good not to take before 19 in Floyd and Lotulelei... that makes another 7-8 guys and you're starting to see who I think will be around at 19.

Given the DE/LBs that are garnering all the attention, and the premium being placed on the O Line, I could see a top-10 overall DT falling to us at 19. I'd gladly stay put and make the selection there.

I do not want Jenkins from the Eagles. Lee Hill is from the Lions, he's only 26, he played behind Suh and Fairley, so he didn't get much time on the field, he made splash plays when he did though.

I trust you on this. Who am I kidding.. on pretty much everything football related.

I think we've set a precedent in our championship years that pass rush can win it for you and in a copycat league, importance is being placed on the guys who can either get to the QB or keep the other guys off the QB. For that reason, I see the guys you've mentioned (Jones, Werner, Mingo, Moore), the OTs (Johnson, Fisher, Joeckel), the OGs (Cooper, Warmack) all gone by #19. Cooper may be hanging on at that point, but won't last much beyond our pick if he's there at all. But that's 9 guys. Throw in Milliner, Rhodes, and maybe Vaccaro for secondary guys and throw in Patterson and/or Allen..oh, and you know someone, Buffalo or the Jets or Raiders will make a move at Geno Smith, not to mention the DTs that are just too good not to take before 19 in Floyd and Lotulelei... that makes another 7-8 guys and you're starting to see who I think will be around at 19.

Given the DE/LBs that are garnering all the attention, and the premium being placed on the O Line, I could see a top-10 overall DT falling to us at 19. I'd gladly stay put and make the selection there.

I'm not sure if these four are considered top 10. Possibly Richardson. I'd love if somehow, Shariff Floyd fell to us.

Most of the guys you mentioned I'd love to have (some mocks have even Werner falling to us). I wouldn't mind Reese picking a CB or OL; I like Trufant better than Rhodes). I figure we need help at any defensive position plus across the OL.

Everyone assumes we are taking a DT in the first round when we will be taking the TE from ND in the first. the writing is on the wall no talks with Bennett he will be free to walk. next in line is Pasco who is used primarily as a blocking TE or a lead blocker.(now with Hynoski not so much) . Robinson is unknown and we all know Beckum shouldn't even be here.

Everyone assumes we are taking a DT in the first round when we will be taking the TE from ND in the first. the writing is on the wall no talks with Bennett he will be free to walk. next in line is Pasco who is used primarily as a blocking TE or a lead blocker.(now with Hynoski not so much) . Robinson is unknown and we all know Beckum shouldn't even be here.

Again and I'll admit I know shit about college prospects... but to think we're getting a TE in the first is maddening... we need a solid OL or DL first and foremost.. keeping in mind there are no LBs worthy of a 1st round pick this year. Robinson maybe unknown but so will the rookie just coming in.

Again and I'll admit I know shit about college prospects... but to think we're getting a TE in the first is maddening... we need a solid OL or DL first and foremost.. keeping in mind there are no LBs worthy of a 1st round pick this year. Robinson maybe unknown but so will the rookie just coming in.

I agree but I just have this feeling they will got TE at 19 IF there is no resolution with Bennett or if we sign a vet TE. Then no but til then I have that feeling.

I agree but I just have this feeling they will got TE at 19 IF there is no resolution with Bennett or if we sign a vet TE. Then no but til then I have that feeling.

Aside from going OL, I'd be pretty upset if they pick anyone on the offensive side of the ball....

If we lose Cruz?

You're not going to replace Cruz with a rookie... I highly doubt we lose Cruz anyway but still. There are far more pressing issues on the defensive side of the ball than a WR or a TE that's for sure. And don't forget we have Randle.. granted he's not a slot receiver but WR is not a priority right now even in the event we lose Cruz.. which we won't given he's restricted anyway... and teams don't like to give up their 1st round picks.

You're not going to replace Cruz with a rookie... I highly doubt we lose Cruz anyway but still. There are far more pressing issues on the defensive side of the ball than a WR or a TE that's for sure. And don't forget we have Randle.. granted he's not a slot receiver but WR is not a priority right now even in the event we lose Cruz.. which we won't given he's restricted anyway... and teams don't like to give up their 1st round picks.

Don't say we will lose him just because he is an Restricted Free Agent. The Pat's let Welker walk I am sure they would pay Cruz more than we can afford to.