SportsWrath

Give our draft a grade

Goliath

Guest Nutty Sack

I would grade it F minus. The word incompetance comes to mind as I think about the people behind the scenes in the Giant draft war room.

solid B....after a little reflection the Kiwi pick may turn out well for us. Can never have to many pass rushers. Moss will add a whole nother dimension to our offense and Wilkinson will add depth to our linebacking core...something that we obviously needed last season. Whimper is a great athlete who could develop into a solid player and Cofield could eventually start for us. Peprah is a good depth pick and will contribute on special teams and as a backup...and we still got one more pick to go...a corner? a guard? another linebacker or DT? let's wait and see

85...based on Personality Profiles of each player..I think Ernie took playing in New York into consideration and each player taken had a classy team oriented personality in their profile as I saw it.

ESPN Radio said the "in" Drafting Fad this year would be intense QB pressure..it would be this years strategy...EA personified this concept.

There! Now the draft is both smooth and level.

You guys need to relax. This draft is not about starters for this year. It's about depth and starters in future years. Even if these guys don't blow us away in preseason, it's not going to be the point. All we really need them to do this year is be adequate backups. For the first time in who knows how long, we don't need them to be starters this year. Think about it--you should be pretty happy about that. In a few more years, our backups might just get us compensatory picks. You never know.

As for our first round choice: we are going to lose a Hall of Famer in a couple of years with Strahan. That is one major hole for the defense to fill. Do you really want to put all the eggs in the Justin Tuck basket, or do you want to pick between two seasoned, strong players?

A solid B.

In the first round, you pick the very best player available. Our FO thought Kiwi was that person. Since that's their full time job not mine, I trust they're right on. Having another Osi there isn't such a bad idea. Do you guys remember that play when Osi, Strahan and Tuck lined up?

one of our needs was a 3rd WR and we got that in Moss. He's a Time Carter who will catch the ball. We don't need him to return kicks or anything.. just stretch the field. We got that.

The rest of the draft addressed needs and that's that. How can you get upset at the FO after signing Lavar anyway?

:rock:

Even though we drafted Moss, I still believe Carter will be the third WR going into the season and Moss will be the fourth. Depending on TC's performance, maybe Moss will be the third WR by the end of the year.

It seems to be that small WRs take over a year or two to develop fully.

Guest So.Cal Dub

You guys need to relax. This draft is not about starters for this year. It's about depth and starters in future years. Even if these guys don't blow us away in preseason, it's not going to be the point. All we really need them to do this year is be adequate backups. For the first time in who knows how long, we don't need them to be starters this year. Think about it--you should be pretty happy about that. In a few more years, our backups might just get us compensatory picks. You never know.

As for our first round choice: we are going to lose a Hall of Famer in a couple of years with Strahan. That is one major hole for the defense to fill. Do you really want to put all the eggs in the Justin Tuck basket, or do you want to pick between two seasoned, strong players?

So what would you grade our draft?

i'll give it a solid B, i see most people with a bit of sense said the same thing. though we did not seem to fill any gaping holes, i think we gathered a lot of talent, and many players we can use in the future. i was upset with the kiwanuka pick, i felt there were more talented players at more needed positions. i guess we'll see in a few years.

I see your point and agree with it, BUT, I still feel drafting a DE in the first round was a midtake. Yes we have Stra retiring soon, and yes was to ensure he is replaced as seemlesly as possible, but if thats the argument we are using, there is another pretty valuble guy who's gonna be retiring in a few years. Tiki,,,and I'd say we were better situated to replace Stra than Tiki.

All in all though, not a bad draft, the DE seems to be a solid promising player, just drafted in the wrong spot. I like McPhearson, he's a real good project at low risk.

So what would you grade our draft?

I would say easily a B, probably better. The concepts behind the picks were solid, and from what I've seen of rankings, we got them consistently at lower picks than they were supposed to go.