SportsWrath

"David Wilson needs to grow up and be a man"

JMFP

Wilson on pass protection: Let me try

Nov 19, 2012 3:20 PM

By Matt Ehalt

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- David Wilson's pass protection came under fire last week from Giants offensive coaches, but the rookie isn't sure how the team would be able to come to such conclusions.

"They say those statements, but I haven't been put in the situation to see if I can pick up a blitz," Wilson said. "I don't know if it's from my college film or what that comes from. I'm just waiting for my opportunity to get out there."

Wilson has just 18 carries for 89 yards on the year, with team personnel saying he doesn't give the team enough as a pass protector.

"They see (the deficiencies). Maybe it's like I'm not firm enough in practice or something. I don't know," Wilson said. "(Running backs coach Jerald Ingram) knows how to evaluate and do his job. That's not my area. I'm the player, he's the coach. I still got leaning to do and growing to do as a player."

While the Giants' running game has struggled at times, the Giants have been reluctant to use Wilson. He fumbled on the second carry of his career, which cost him playing time, but rushed for a combined 79 yards and a touchdown against Cleveland and San Francisco in consecutive weeks in October. He has just three carries for two yards in the four games since.

When Ingram met with reporters Monday, the coach pointed out Wilson's weakness in pass protection while complimenting his speed. The rookie is also the team's kickoff returner.

"Yeah he’s explosive, but at what cost is he explosive?" Ingram said. "Is he explosive at the cost of not being able to protect well, not being able to know his job well enough being a pro? That all has to develop."

Wilson believes he hasn't missed on any blocks in practice since training camp, and said he's not far from the level the team wants him to be as a blocker.

"When you say show us more, do more, you wonder, 'Where?'" Wilson said. "I work hard in practice and do my plays when I'm in."

As he continues to find himself without much work each week, Wilson said the waiting process has made him hungrier.

"Week after week seeing guys go out there and being successful and have fun out there on the field, and you're just watching. You can just imagine how it feels," Wilson said. "Me, having such a high competitive level, that makes it that much harder."

Link

Is it me or does Ingram come across as a bit douchey . I mean if it was me and I had Rb that missed a block in practice , I would tell him. Not only that I would re-run the play and point out how he missed the block either by technique or a missed read . Maybe its not under standing the lexicon or being in the wrong place, Just by reading that I get the impression that the Rb's have to figure it out as they go. I hope I am wrong,

I have to take Wilson's side on this..

TB has no fucking problem giving their rookie carries.. and he's doing great. Now the Giants said Wilson was the 2nd best RB in the draft... and I believe them... so give the kid some fucking carries.

Guys, take about 6 minutes of your time watch the interview that Jerald Ingram gave.

http://www.giants.co...85-1f501381ea50

Yeah cause Wilson would somehow make the pass protection worse than it has been. The Giants are a sinking ship in need of a spark, and he Porsche is in the garage.

Yeah cause Wilson would somehow make the pass protection worse than it has been. The Giants are a sinking ship in need of a spark, and he Porsche is in the garage.

That's what's baffling about it to me. The pass protection sucks. Period. David Wilson is not going to make or break that because it already sucks when Ahmad Bradshaw is in there, anyway and we're forced to take options like our running back and tight end out of the passing attack every time we're expected to pass and teams want to Tee Off....handcuffing yourself on 3rd and long and giving yourself no chance is a far worse crime than giving up a sack being aggressive. Sorry, that's just the way it is in the NFL, Gerald, Gilbride and co.

Anyone else find it ironic that the Giants biggest running play this season came with Wilson in the backfield, in an obvious running situation.

1st and 10

14 point lead

6 minutes on the clock.

Giants line up with Hynoski, give the ball to Wilson (which is what the defense was fully expecting), and bang, he takes it 40+ yards to the house.....because he's so damn fast he just blew past the last two defenders who had a shot at him....both of whom were unblocked.

That was the sort of running game the Giants had back in 2008....the Giants just lined up, got a hat on a hat, and ran.

This is not a sinking ship: Eagles, Jets, Panthers, Lions, Dolphins are perfect examples of a sinking ship. We're 6-4 not 4-6.

This is not a sinking ship: Eagles, Jets, Panthers, Lions, Dolphins are perfect examples of a sinking ship. We're 6-4 not 4-6.

I think what VG meant was that we are sinking now. We might not drown. But in order not to drown - we need a spark....and that spark will come from Brown and Wilson. Not Bradshaw. Make Bradshaw hungry and healthy and use him down the stretch. Right now, we need Wilson and Brown to pull away for a division win.

Anyone else find it ironic that the Giants biggest running play this season came with Wilson in the backfield, in an obvious running situation.

1st and 10

14 point lead

6 minutes on the clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O3eGBBM3htU

Giants line up with Hynoski, give the ball to Wilson (which is what the defense was fully expecting), and bang, he takes it 40+ yards to the house.....because he's so damn fast he just blew past the last two defenders who had a shot at him....both of whom were unblocked.

That was the sort of running game the Giants had back in 2008....the Giants just lined up, got a hat on a hat, and ran.

I don't think it's ironic but I do think it's telling that Locklear was in at RT. That was some hole Wilson had to run through.