SportsWrath

"David Wilson needs to grow up and be a man"

JMFP

Why am I getting Tyrone Wheatley flashbacks?

This story just makes me sad.

Next time, please, draft a linebacker in the 1st round.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/progress_slow_for_wilson_sJqOB1BiyIWQI222d7axcN

Brandon Jacobs had to learn it. Derrick Ward had to learn it. Ahmad Bradshaw had to learn it. All three eventually became 1,000-yard backs for the Giants but they didn’t get on the field until they learned the finer points of playing running back.

None of those three were high draft picks. Rookie David Wilson is a first-round pick and he’s having loads of trouble finding playing time.

“Just because you’re a first-round draft pick doesn’t mean you’re ready to play or they all would be great,’’ running backs coach Jerald Ingram said yesterday. “It’s about winning games, it’s not a popularity contest. It’s time for you to grow up and be a man now and see what you can do with the whole ball of wax. Until [Wilson] proves that, it’s hard to stick him out there and feel comfortable.’’

Wilson has just 18 rushing attempts in the Giants’ first 10 games as he struggles to learn in the ins and outs of pass protection and blitz pickup.

“Yeah, he is explosive, but at what cost is he explosive?’’ Ingram asked. “Is he explosive at the cost of not being able to protect well, not being able to know his job well, not being a pro?’’

If he isn't able to block well, he isn't going to play. Simple as that.

If only that theory applied to David Diehl and Chris Snee.

Let's be real here. Exactly how much does a shifty 3rd down back need to block and pass protect? Because that's what his role would have been this year. Oh, right, I forget, we end up in 3rd down and 8 consistently and have no desire to hit backs out of the backfield with passes.

Fact is, you don't see shifty, explosive players like Darren Sproles, Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, etc. relegated to the bench because pass blocking isn't their best skill. Only the NY Giants do this.

Popular opinion on the board is Coughlin is too loyal to players and keeps the better ones on the bench.

:facepalm:

Yeah because Ahmad Bradshaw is clearly the better player to start right now.

Wrong.

If only that theory applied to David Diehl and Chris Snee.

Let's be real here. Exactly how much does a shifty 3rd down back need to block and pass protect? Because that's what his role would have been this year. Oh, right, I forget, we end up in 3rd down and 8 consistently and have no desire to hit backs out of the backfield with passes.

Fact is, you don't see shifty, explosive players like Darren Sproles, Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, etc. relegated to the bench because pass blocking isn't their best skill. Only the NY Giants do this.

Agreed 100 percent. Although Bush is a decent blocker. When was the last time we had a screen for more than 6 yards?

Agreed 100 percent. Although Bush is a decent blocker. When was the last time we had a screen for more than 6 yards?

I could understand the argument if they were talking about the difference between starting Bradshaw and him being your "every down" back and starting WIlson. Fortunately, no one is asking for that. Just a little bit more running plays in general, better designed running plays, and David Wilson getting a touch or two per quarter---that's all. And Andre Brown getting even more than that would be nice.

The excuse is starting to get old.

The fact is, the Giants organization has looked for excuses this entire season as to why David Wilson isn't ready. Whether he is or he isn't, Andre Brown clearly is. They are doing this team a disservice by not finding ways to get the ball in the other backs' hands, too.

From the fumble in Wilson's FIRST game that got him benched for like the next 3, to the early season claims that he can't block that we haven't heard about for the past 6 weeks, and now that excuse suddenly pops up again. I personally do not think Ahmad Bradshaw is a good pass blocker. Yeah, he will get his stick in here and there and stand up a linebacker, but I've seen far more times where simply gives up and is more or less a body in the way.

Yet somehow is the best Rb on the roster. The guy with the two broken feet, our best. Frightening.

Again, clearly. Especially judging by his play on the field compared to those behind him.

Sarcasm.

Maybe you could explain what Wilson has done so far to deserve getting more carries. Don't start with the first round pick crap. Seen plenty of first round picks that didn't deserve to be on the field.

Again, clearly. Especially judging by his play on the field compared to those behind him.

Sarcasm.

Maybe you could explain what Wilson has done so far to deserve getting more carries. Don't start with the first round pick crap. Seen plenty of first round picks that didn't deserve to be on the field.

haha, dude, he's had 18 touches in 10 games, don't give me that. Therein lies the problem, but we can sit here and debate chicken and egg scenarios. Here we go. You can't see what a guy can do if he doesn't get the opportunity when he should be, considering your starting back doesn't do anything to be deserving of the touches HE gets. The dude doesn't practice but once a week and that could fly when we had other guys who were far less capable than David Wilson of carrying the ball (like Brandon Jacobs)--why it isn't even attempted this year is beyond my comprehension. Since Bradshaw has been getting the lionshare while continuing to demonstrate, on the field: fumbling consistently, not following blockers, a lack of explosiveness through the line of scrimmage, and a lack of any presence whatsoever in the passing game.

The better question, quite obviously, is what hasn't Bradshaw done to lose his starting job? Meltdown on field? Check. Lack of quality first down touches? Check. Injured and ineffective? Check.

Trying to turn an oft-injured Bradshaw into an every down back without even attempting to legitimately work in your first round pick or Andre Brown, because I did mention to you that Brown is deserving of a starting role on the team, let alone the role of backup with 6-10 touches, is dumb.

The real problem is neither one of us going back and forth is going to change who the starter is or how many running plays we'll see per game. I do love a chicken and egg scenario especially when it comes to football. Our running game is abysmal with the exception of three games and those were against teams fall into the category of being horrible or underachieving.

Carries are earned, not given. We don't get to watch them practice but the coaching staff does and they are still picking the guy with two broken feet over Brown and Wilson.

I have a problem with giving the ball to a RB who can't secure the backup job to a guy with two broken feet, not the only one either. Giants are in first place and more importantly are in contention for the playoffs right now. Pass protection isn't all that great so you want to put in Wilson who can't earn the backup job? That is just crazy.

For all the success Andre Brown has enjoyed so far, he is not doing much better. He has gotten garbage time yards and great games against teams that fall into the categories I listed above. The only reason why Bradshaw is still the starter is because everyone behind him hasn't stepped up to take it from him.

haha, dude, he's had 18 touches in 10 games, don't give me that. Therein lies the problem, but we can sit here and debate chicken and egg scenarios. Here we go. You can't see what a guy can do if he doesn't get the opportunity when he should be, considering your starting back doesn't do anything to be deserving of the touches HE gets. The dude doesn't practice but once a week and that could fly when we had other guys who were far less capable than David Wilson of carrying the ball (like Brandon Jacobs)--why it isn't even attempted this year is beyond my comprehension. Since Bradshaw has been getting the lionshare while continuing to demonstrate, on the field: fumbling consistently, not following blockers, a lack of explosiveness through the line of scrimmage, and a lack of any presence whatsoever in the passing game.

The better question, quite obviously, is what hasn't Bradshaw done to lose his starting job? Meltdown on field? Check. Lack of quality first down touches? Check. Injured and ineffective? Check.

Someone ask Jim Brown about all the blocking he did back in the day.

I'm not comparing Wilson to Jim Brown.....I'm just saying that nobody calls Jim Brown the best RB of all time because of his blocking.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/brownjimadd.html

Before the 1964 season, former Cleveland quarterback Otto Graham lashed out at Brown's blocking ability and said Cleveland would not win anything as long as Brown was there.

Cleveland won the NFL championship that season.

I think it was poor judgement for Ingram to publicly humiliate a player with half a season under his belt in the NFL.

To me, I don't like what I see from this team. We see Rolle run his mouth, Tuck run his mouth, all these players running their mouths because they think last year's accomplishments give them carte blanche. Now we have a position coach running his mouth. A guy that doesn't run his mouth... but just comes to ball out? Prince Amukamara. Took all this heat from idiots because he needed to have more "swagger". Personally, I'd like for the players on this team have a little less swagger and have a lot more whoop ass in them.

Nobody said Eli needed to grow up and be a man when he struggled his first 3 years in the league. And I honestly don't believe a player who wore a suit and tie to class everyday, has been on the All-Academic football team for the ACC, pretty sure he had somewhere around a 4.0 average, has never been questioned for his work ethic and has never gotten into trouble... that kind of guy doesn't need to hear he needs to grow up and be a man. That's insulting, and that's how you de-motivate a guy who is trying to do all the right things.

Now, maybe there is something I don't know. But I think I have a pretty good take on what kind of guy Wilson is and he's the kind of guy you uplift, not say asinine things in the newspaper about.

And in this case, I think Storm is right. David Wilson needs more touches, and the loud mouths on this team need to shut the fuck up and take a lesson from younger players like Amukamara and re-learn how to let your play (or coaching) do the talking.

Fumbles? Check.

The real problem is neither one of us going back and forth is going to change who the starter is or how many running plays we'll see per game. I do love a chicken and egg scenario especially when it comes to football. Our running game is abysmal with the exception of three games and those were against teams fall into the category of being horrible or underachieving.

Carries are earned, not given. We don't get to watch them practice but the coaching staff does and they are still picking the guy with two broken feet over Brown and Wilson.

I have a problem with giving the ball to a RB who can't secure the backup job to a guy with two broken feet, not the only one either. Giants are in first place and more importantly are in contention for the playoffs right now. Pass protection isn't all that great so you want to put in Wilson who can't earn the backup job? That is just crazy.

For all the success Andre Brown has enjoyed so far, he is not doing much better. He has gotten garbage time yards and great games against teams that fall into the categories I listed above. The only reason why Bradshaw is still the starter is because everyone behind him hasn't stepped up to take it from him.

I don't think the pass protecting from the backs is the concern there, lol. I think you could put both Bradshaw and Hynoski (who is mysteriously still out of the lineup) back there on a 3rd down pass play and Eli would still be rushed. There is more than one way to alleviate the pass rush on 3rd down, which is really the only down we are talking about here because it is the one most likely to need a pass play to convert, which may require a back in there for extra protection. Thing is, sending your tight end across the field on a crossing or up the seam frees up lots of space that running backs can work into. We see it used against us constantly...other teams aren't so stuck in this mind frame that explosive players need to be used solely as 3rd down pass blocking backs and if that doesn't happen to be one of his fortes, he sits and never sees the field aside from kick returns. That's what is ridiculous. There's 2 other downs, 1st is a good one to run on, actually. So, you see, the problem isn't so much in pass protection. It's more so in the fact that the team refuses to do anything whatsoever to make adjustments and create some offense.