SportsWrath

Giants 1st Round Pick (32) -- Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College

parlintm

read the coughlin interview above. obviously this is who they thought was the bpa and they've spent much more time on this than we have.

well....if this is who they thought was the best available player we will have to live with it and support Kiwi.....still don't understand the pick....hopefully they find a way to let him contribute...I just got a bad feeling with Chad Jackson and Jimmy Williams...I think we passed up on two future stars to take a situational pass rusher....

Media Q&A With Director of Player Personnel Jerry Reese:

Q: What are the positives?

A: We got another pass rusher; you can never have enough pass rushers. Just thinking back to the playoffs, when we played against the 49ers a couple years back, we ran out of guys, had no pass rushers and we lost the game because of that, in my opinion. You can never have enough guys that can rush the passer.

Q: Why this pass rusher?

A: He has got 21 sacks, he is 6-6, he runs 4.75. He got a 29 on his test, he played at a high level of competition. He plays hard, he is smart. It is all in front of him. Everything wrong with this guy is strength related. When this guy gets stronger he is going to be a really, really good player.

Q: Does he have the kind of frame that can add some pounds?

A: Most definitely. He is 6-6 and he weighs 266 pounds. He is going to be 275 pounds in a second. He has just got to get in the weight room and get a little stronger and learn the pro game.

Q: Did he slip because of strength issues?

A: It is probably strength issues, because you know he is not as strong as you like against the run but this guy makes plays against the run with his legs. He chases people down from behind and this guy plays hard. You’ll be surprised when you see this guy play, he plays hard.

Q: At what point in the scouting process did this guy kind of separate himself from the other cluster of guys you had an interest in?

A: This draft is kind of funny. It has a few good “A” players but it’s got a lot of good “B” players. You see players come off all over the board because there are a lot of good “B” players. We liked him from the very beginning. Again, you can never put your pass rushers up high enough on the board.

Q: What did you take away from the meeting you had with him face to face?

A: We came away with a very smart, driven young man who we felt that all you had to do was plug him in the mix with the Pro Bowlers that we have. This guy is going to help us on special teams. I always talk about this when I come down here with you guys; you always want to get guys who can help you on special teams. I can see this guy blocking kicks or field goals; he can run down on the kickoff team. This guy is a big athlete and he’s very smart and physical. It’s all in front of him. I can’t express to you how good this player has a chance to be for us.

Q: Where did you rank him among the defensive ends?

A: I don’t like to talk about our board and where we rank people. There is still a lot of draft left and I don’t want to say where we had a guy ranked. Of course he was after Mario Williams but we had him ranked pretty high. He’s a pass rusher; the guy had 21 sacks in the last two years. We had him ranked up there….we like him.

Q: Any concern with the knee injury?

A: It wasn’t an issue for our doctors. He limped around with it a little bit during the season trying to get it healthy. It probably wasn’t healthy after he got hit on that knee until the last couple of games of the season where he dominated the games. Look at the Maryland and N.C. State games and you’ll see a dominating football player. Maybe he got lost in the sauce because of that, he limped around a little bit and wasn’t really healthy, but he played through it and showed some toughness, so you like that about him. But you can see him healthy the last two games of the season and you see a dominating football player.

Q: Does his size make it possible to play him at another position?

A: Absolutely. At the combine he worked out as a linebacker as well. It’s not out of the question for this guy to stand up and play some kind of outside linebacker. Put them all in there, put him, Tuck, Osi, Strahan in there and let them all rush. Who says you can’t do that? On a passing down put them all in there and let them rush.

Q: Did you guys hold your breath at all after you traded back a few picks in fear that you may have lost him?

A: No, we didn’t hold our breath because there were several guys there that we liked. It was worth the risk for us to move back and get some extra picks because we still had five or six guys on the board that we liked. We felt safe about moving back and getting extra picks

Q: Did you guys hold your breath at all after you traded back a few picks in fear that you may have lost him?

A: No, we didn’t hold our breath because there were several guys there that we liked. It was worth the risk for us to move back and get some extra picks because we still had five or six guys on the board that we liked. We felt safe about moving back and getting extra picks

i wish someone would have picked him in front of us. unless of course, the 'other guys' were more defensive ends.

I think on passing downs we will get Osi, Strahan, Lavar, Mathias and Tuck onto the field. There's just no way that teams will be able to block them. Soooo many sacks this year. I think Tuck at DT on passing downs and Mathias at OLB.

he is a good player just not in that position

exactly...Kiwi can be a very good player in this league.....but we sure as hell did not need another DE and we sure as hell did not need to spend a FIRST ROUNDER on a DE....

It is very difficult to put any positive spin on this.....

If we did not have Tuck waiting in the wings than this would be a very nice pick by us...but the fact of the matter is that Tuck will likely take over for Big Mike when he retires....and Kiwi will be yet another bad first round choice and wasted talent...its actually kinda sad...

exactly...Kiwi can be a very good player in this league.....but we sure as hell did not need another DE and we sure as hell did not need to spend a FIRST ROUNDER on a DE....

It is very difficult to put any positive spin on this.....

If we did not have Tuck waiting in the wings than this would be a very nice pick by us...but the fact of the matter is that Tuck will likely take over for Big Mike when he retires....and Kiwi will be yet another bad first round choice and wasted talent...its actually kinda sad...

actually depending on how preseason goes, tuck could be the one with wasted talent, it sucks either way.

Guest Floyd The Barber

yah, and if he was the 2nd best QB in the draft, do we take him ??

this doesnt matter...not a position of need !!!

truly disappointed !!!

Giants don't need a DE? Logical Giant fans think so! :rock:

Technically we don't "need" another DE. This pic was solely based on the Best Player Available rule. Sure none of us heard of him before but our FO did their homework.

Guest Nutty Sack
Technically we don't "need" another DE. This pic was solely based on the Best Player Available rule. Sure none of us heard of him before but our FO did their homework.

May I suggest you stick with what you know.Go see if your Camel needs water please.

I heard of him....and watched him....he is a good player and will be a solid pro....but Tuck has shown us he has real potential at DE...he has PROVEN he can become a big time player...Kiwi is unproven and a wasted pick...stop trying to put a positive spin on it....positive spin does not exist

Giants don't need a DE? Logical Giant fans think so! :rock:

LOGICAL GIANTS FANS REALIZE STRA IS OLD WITH A BAD BACK AND ONLY HAS A YEAR OR TWO LEFT......Do you want us running around at the last min trying to find his replacement??????

JUST BECAUSE YOU TOOLS DIDNT KNOW WHO HE WAS DOESNT MEAN HE WONT BE GOOD....TC WAS A BC COACH>>HE STILL HAS CONNECTIONS THERE>>>>HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS GETTING

I know DAM well every one of you was BITCHING when we picked OSI..

PS

:cheers:

Ignore all spelling and grammer :P

2BUD's + Guiness + RED wine + Black & Tan + Bass + Iron City + Sam Adams = :puke:

Guest Nutty Sack
LOGICAL GIANTS FANS REALIZE STRA IS OLD WITH A BAD BACK AND ONLY HAS A YEAR OR TWO LEFT......Do you want us running around at the last min trying to find his replacement??????

JUST BECAUSE YOU TOOLS DIDNT KNOW WHO HE WAS DOESNT MEAN HE WONT BE GOOD....TC WAS A BC COACH>>HE STILL HAS CONNECTIONS THERE>>>>HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS GETTING

I know DAM well every one of you was BITCHING when we picked OSI..

PS

:cheers:

Ignore all spelling and grammer :P

BUD + Guiness + RED wine + Black & Tan = :puke:

Shouldn't you be picking out your future wifes lip wax as opposed to following the draft??