SportsWrath

Might be able to steal OT Mike Adams in later rounds

BleedinBlue

NFL has reported that Mike Adams tested positive for pot at the combine. No news as to what they will do (if anything), but that will scare a lot of teams away. The Giants do well in taking bad boys (Manningham, Bradshaw) much later in the draft and after some serious discussions, get them to clean up their act.

So....there's a chance we could land Adams like in the 3rd or something. I'd certainly take the risk.

I'd even take him in the 2nd I think.

Yeah....I tend to agree. He might not be on the board in the 3rd (at our spot anyway), but we might get a shot at the end of the 2nd. It would have to be one of those tough calls where TC makes you piss in a cup every week (even off season) and lays down the ground rules. A contract that can be voided if he screws up. That kind of thing.

On the other hand, Zerbie Sanders might also be on the board at 64 and I think I'd rather go with a guy who has a proven work ethic and is a hard nose football player and similar skills.

Who knows.....glad it's Reese and TC who calls the shots.

Yeah, everything I was seeing about his performance and off the field stuff was raising red flags. I was thinking, how can this guy be a first rounder with all these issues? Now this... he just cost himself a lot of money. I don't understand these guys, they know they are going to go through the rigamarole, but the payoff is millions of dollars playing a kids' game. But yet they show up unprepared to perform, and fail drug tests. It's crazy they would throw away literally hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a million or more because they want to get high or party before the combine. Just unreal to me.

I was even thinking of still changing my pick at 32 to Adams in my first round mock and then I saw this. I'm still probably going to change it, but it definitely won't be Adams.

Yeah, everything I was seeing about his performance and off the field stuff was raising red flags. I was thinking, how can this guy be a first rounder with all these issues? Now this... he just cost himself a lot of money. I don't understand these guys, they know they are going to go through the rigamarole, but the payoff is millions of dollars playing a kids' game. But yet they show up unprepared to perform, and fail drug tests. It's crazy they would throw away literally hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a million or more because they want to get high or party before the combine. Just unreal to me.

I was even thinking of still changing my pick at 32 to Adams in my first round mock and then I saw this. I'm still probably going to change it, but it definitely won't be Adams.

What they're saying is that more damaging than getting caught, is having talked to teams and lied about doing drugs during personal intervies.....as that now becomes more of a trust factor and a bigger deal. Janoris Jenkins was an automatic top 15 pick before all his arrests and issues, but apparantly during interviews with teams, he flat out admitted he had smoked pot.....which actually raised his stock (go figure).

They haven't said yet whether Adams admitted he did pot during interviews....and everyone knows that he absolutlely had to know he'd get caught as drug testing is mandatory to participate in the combine... Anyway, if he talked with TC and told him that he had never done drugs, he'll never be in a Giants' uniform.

But oh yeah......what an ass. THEE oportunity of a lifetime shot down in exchange for a few tokes on a joint and a temporary buzz............DUUUHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I don't understand these guys, they know they are going to go through the rigamarole, but the payoff is millions of dollars playing a kids' game. But yet they show up unprepared to perform, and fail drug tests. It's crazy they would throw away literally hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a million or more because they want to get high or party before the combine. Just unreal to me.

I can explain, at least in some circumstances. When these kids are 4 or 5, and are blowing guys off the ball because they're 3 times the size of everyone else, and are praised for it...when their parents lie about their weight, to squeak them into the younger group of kids...when they're praised from such an impressionable age that they feel they can do no wrong...when they reach high school and are asked to play both offense and defense and are praised now in the papers and even on ESPN...when they are treated differently in the classroom because they are an exceptional athlete...when they're granted a free college education, that they willingly pass up taking less demanding courses...when they are put on an even higher pedestal and are projected to be a first round draft pick...

Their entire lives, they're groomed/parented/coached/trained that they're bigger/better than everyone else. They're to be treated differently. A different set of rules apply to them, or so they believe.

Now, if you ask the random NFL player, I doubt they'd admit that flat out...but on a subconscious, not-thinking-about-the-consequences-of-your-actions kind of way...it shows in their behavior. It could be expanded to the guys who go broke 2 years after they get done playing out their multi-million dollar contracts.

They're living for the moment, they're living for the next round of praise. They're NOT prepared to live life.

These are generalizations and certainly don't apply to every player, but it's not too difficult to understand why guys think it's okay to smoke pot before the biggest (and sometimes only) job audition of their life, knowing full well that audition includes a drug screening. They've rarely faced consequences in the past and if they have, they still haven't learned from them.

I can explain, at least in some circumstances. When these kids are 4 or 5, and are blowing guys off the ball because they're 3 times the size of everyone else, and are praised for it...when their parents lie about their weight, to squeak them into the younger group of kids...when they're praised from such an impressionable age that they feel they can do no wrong...when they reach high school and are asked to play both offense and defense and are praised now in the papers and even on ESPN...when they are treated differently in the classroom because they are an exceptional athlete...when they're granted a free college education, that they willingly pass up taking less demanding courses...when they are put on an even higher pedestal and are projected to be a first round draft pick...

Their entire lives, they're groomed/parented/coached/trained that they're bigger/better than everyone else. They're to be treated differently. A different set of rules apply to them, or so they believe.

Now, if you ask the random NFL player, I doubt they'd admit that flat out...but on a subconscious, not-thinking-about-the-consequences-of-your-actions kind of way...it shows in their behavior. It could be expanded to the guys who go broke 2 years after they get done playing out their multi-million dollar contracts.

They're living for the moment, they're living for the next round of praise. They're NOT prepared to live life.

These are generalizations and certainly don't apply to every player, but it's not too difficult to understand why guys think it's okay to smoke pot before the biggest (and sometimes only) job audition of their life, knowing full well that audition includes a drug screening. They've rarely faced consequences in the past and if they have, they still haven't learned from them.

To quote a great Sportswrathian: "That can't be good for the black community" :P

Guest StrahansGap

I'd take Adams over all of them. I like him a lot, and I don't give a shit about his character concerns. He pancakes everyone. Perfect right tackle.

I have concerns, but I also know that every football player that comes into camp under TC realizes this team is ALL ABOUT DISCIPLINE. Maybe the most disciplined team in the league. Hence the demise of Tiki and Shockey.....and eventually Burress.

If he's on the board at pick 64, I think the Giants would grab him. Then he'd have some loooonnnggg meetings with the staff until he understood what is expected of him with absolutly no doubts.

apparently this isnt as big a deal as we would expect:

http://www.nfl.com/d..._headline_stack

I would hope that being violent is worse than recreational drug use. Anyway I think being caught at the combine with drugs in your system should be a major red flag. If you can't get your shit together for the major interview of your life then you more than likely don't have the necessary work ethic for the NFL. Also they know there is a drug test which just makes it that much worse. Stupidity is not curable. :doh:

I would hope that being violent is worse than recreational drug use. Anyway I think being caught at the combine with drugs in your system should be a major red flag. If you can't get your shit together for the major interview of your life then you more than likely don't have the necessary work ethic for the NFL. Also they know there is a drug test which just makes it that much worse. Stupidity is not curable. :doh:

I really don't even know that stupidity is the right word. It's just a lack of consequences. He knows he'll still be drafted and still make a shit ton of money. He probably cares less about the difference in money, because at the end of the day, he's still going to be far richer than me, presumably you, presumably all of his high school teammates, presumably all of his high school coaches, etc. He'll still get a big house, drive a fancy car, and will probably be broke when his playing career is over.

I wish it was as simple as informing them of their mistake, but like I mentioned earlier, I think it's more of a cultural, societal, systematic type issue.

I agree though, it's fucking ridiculous that someone would do something illegal, knowing full well they'll be tested for it.

I really don't even know that stupidity is the right word. It's just a lack of consequences. He knows he'll still be drafted and still make a shit ton of money. He probably cares less about the difference in money, because at the end of the day, he's still going to be far richer than me, presumably you, presumably all of his high school teammates, presumably all of his high school coaches, etc. He'll still get a big house, drive a fancy car, and will probably be broke when his playing career is over.

I wish it was as simple as informing them of their mistake, but like I mentioned earlier, I think it's more of a cultural, societal, systematic type issue.

I agree though, it's fucking ridiculous that someone would do something illegal, knowing full well they'll be tested for it.

If I were a GM you would become undraftable untell you fell to like the 5th round. Drafting a player in the first round that is that non-chalant is not what I would want as a GM.