• Nick Perry - DE
    • Mark Barron - SS
    • Kendall Wright - WR
    • Coby Fleener - TE
    • Dont'a Hightower - LB
    • Jonathan Martin - OT
    • Doug Martin - RB
    • None of the above

This is a list of players who are supposed to off the board by the time the Giants get to pick as they are listed as the second ten players to fly off the board.....well, except Doug Martin and other RB's who aren't listed in the top 32 players overall.

Granted, only 2 or 3 of these guys on this list will be there at 32, but play along.

Who would you choose?

I'd say the RB.

We just traded for a LB and resigned Chase.

I dont see the need for a first round TE, we dont use them in Gillys offense.

With Bradshaw being the Giants only seasoned back and Brown getting hit with the 'roid charges we need someone who can split the carries. Scott may be the guy but at the same time I'd rather us bring a RB in who can eventually spell Bradshaw in the next couple of years.

I agree that we have a glut of linebackers and the competition between them should bring out the best in them.

However, whatever list I looked at that had the overall top 100 players on the board, there were no RB's (apart from Trent Richardson - ranked 4th overall) in the top 30. And the players I put on the board are all ranked in the top 20 with the exception of RB because I don't think the second tier RB's are actually legitimate BPA's.

I also didn't put down Chandler Jones who has crawled so far up the original lists that he's now in the top 20 on many boards. He was ranked like 40th to 50th a few weeks ago and now he's as high as 15 on some boards.

Regardless....I tried to stay in the top 20 for BPA, but had to go further down the list for RB positions.

I'm sure you're all aware of the FFToolbox website. They give a lot of different guys mocks, have combine #s, scouting reports and of course their "Top 100", which isn't any better or worse than the 10,000 others out there. But, under the heading of "it beats working", I went though all the players above and looked at the 8 most recent mocks posted and the overall ranking in "Top 100".

CB Kirkpatrick - ranked #15, went between 17-24 in the 8 mocks.

DE Perry - #31, 24 of 1st round to 10 of 2nd round.

SS Baron - #25, 14 to 19.

WR Wright - #27, 22-26.

LB Hightower - #26, 26-32.

RB Martin - #50, 17-22 of 2nd round.

TE Fleener - #70, 30 of 1st to 2 of 2nd round.

OT Martin - #16, 13-24

From this (admittedly unscientific) data, I would gather that only Perry, Hightower, RB Martin & Fleener are feasable to be there when we pick. Maybe Wright. OT Martin & Kirkpatrick doubtful and Baron almost certainly no. Playing "yeah, but what if?" for a moment, I would take the OT, Martin. I'm happy with the young guys we have developing on the inside - Booth & Petrus - but not as confident in Beatty & Brewer at OT.

But looking at scenarios we are more likely to face, I would suggest another name: David Wilson, RB, Va Tech. He's ranked 32 and mocks have him going between 28 of 1st round to 4th pick of 2nd round. I will be the first to admit, I don't follow college football that closely but reading this guy's numbers and scouting reports, he sure does look like a perfect fit, both for filling a need and value at that point in the draft.

Hightower would be a close 2nd for the same reasons.

But looking at scenarios we are more likely to face, I would suggest another name: David Wilson, RB, Va Tech. He's ranked 32 and mocks have him going between 28 of 1st round to 4th pick of 2nd round. I will be the first to admit, I don't follow college football that closely but reading this guy's numbers and scouting reports, he sure does look like a perfect fit, both for filling a need and value at that point in the draft.

Hightower would be a close 2nd for the same reasons.

I think David Wilson is the guy. He blocks, he catches, he runs to daylight....he's the complete runningback that the Giants offense has been missing since Tiki retired.

I think David Wilson is the guy. He blocks, he catches, he runs to daylight....he's the complete runningback that the Giants offense has been missing since Tiki retired.

The only knock I've read on Wilson is that he fumbled a lot. In terms of explosiveness, and impact I think they could have early in their careers, I think Wilson and Miller are in a class by themselves. I have Wilson just ahead of Miller, based on consistency of production.

As far as Doug Martin goes, I think he's a strong candidate for the Giants, because he's tough, and can block on passing downs. Should be an effective runner. I think he's just as strong a runner as Trent Richardson and don't distinguish very much between the two prospects. Richardson, I feel, is not the best running back in this class, he's nowhere near AP (what others are comparing him to).

Back to the list, there is no way Barron even makes it to pick 25. I think the Cowboys are going to take him, personally.

Here is a list of players that could be there and I'll rank them in the order of what I think the Giants draft board should be (this is not a complete list, just focusing on some offense right now):

Fleener

OT Martin

Wilson

RB Martin

I think there is a better than 50-50 chance that neither Fleener or OT Martin will be there at 32. I would not be shocked at all to see the Giants take Doug Martin over Wilson for the reasons I stated above. I also think Chandler Jones may be the pick if he's there, or Bobby Massie.

The guy I want is Fleener. I just don't think he'll be there, and I get the feeling the Giants will draft one of these players:

OT Martin

Massie

Jones

RB Martin

Perry

Still working on my first round mock. Very difficult this year because some players could go in top 15 or slide all the way to 2nd round, guys like Tannehill and Coples.

The only knock I've read on Wilson is that he fumbled a lot. In terms of explosiveness, and impact I think they could have early in their careers, I think Wilson and Miller are in a class by themselves. I have Wilson just ahead of Miller, based on consistency of production.

As far as Doug Martin goes, I think he's a strong candidate for the Giants, because he's tough, and can block on passing downs. Should be an effective runner. I think he's just as strong a runner as Trent Richardson and don't distinguish very much between the two prospects. Richardson, I feel, is not the best running back in this class, he's nowhere near AP (what others are comparing him to).

Back to the list, there is no way Barron even makes it to pick 25. I think the Cowboys are going to take him, personally.

Here is a list of players that could be there and I'll rank them in the order of what I think the Giants draft board should be (this is not a complete list, just focusing on some offense right now):

Fleener

OT Martin

Wilson

RB Martin

I think there is a better than 50-50 chance that neither Fleener or OT Martin will be there at 32. I would not be shocked at all to see the Giants take Doug Martin over Wilson for the reasons I stated above. I also think Chandler Jones may be the pick if he's there, or Bobby Massie.

The guy I want is Fleener. I just don't think he'll be there, and I get the feeling the Giants will draft one of these players:

OT Martin

Massie

Jones

RB Martin

Perry

Still working on my first round mock. Very difficult this year because some players could go in top 15 or slide all the way to 2nd round, guys like Tannehill and Coples.

Doug Martin would probably work....it's just that there's so little difference between a glut of RBs that I'm not sure I'd want him tying up a multi-million dollar contract that could hurt us in the future world of cap space. Also, some boards (like Yahoo Sports) has David Wilson as 2nd best RB, Lamar Miller as 3rd best RB, and Doug Martin as 4th best. Many other sites have either Wilson or Miller ranked ahead of Martin in the RB category.

Compare the top running backs in the draft - and I know FFToolbox has Doug Martin as the 32nd BPA and Lamar Miller as 33rd, etc., but CBS Sports, DraftCountdown, etc., have only Richardson in the top 32 and have the best of the rest ranked in the 30's through 60's.

Anyway.....compare:

Trent Richardson Junior 5'9 1/4" 228 lbs 4.48 (40 time)

Doug Martin Senior 5'9 1/4" 223 lbs 4.55

Lamar Miller Soph 5'10 3/4 212 lbs 4.40

David Wilson Junior 5'9 5/8" 206 lbs 4.49

Chris Polk Senior 5'11" 215 lbs 4.57

Robert Turbin Junior 5'10" 222 lbs 4.50

Bernard Pierce Junior 6'0" 218 lbs 4.49

LaMichael James Junior 5'8" 194 lbs 4.45

at least 30 others with nearly identical physicals and speeds

(BTW, the only RB in the top 50 RBs is Jeff Demps from Florida who is 5'7" and weighs 191 lbs, who broke the 4.40 barrier)

Now take a look at the guy on our bench who only got 5 touches last year averageing 3.1 yard per carry, but in preseason returned a kickoff 97 yards for a TD and took a fake punt handoff 65 yards for TD.....who not only eluded tacklers, but with each step towards the goal increased distance between him and the CBs.

Da'Rel Scott rookie 5'11" 210 lbs and was the fastest RB in last year's draft and ran a 4.39 and a 4.37.

I believe Scott should be given an opportunity to prove he's the man. But....if we go RB in the first round, that means the new guy will have a multi-million dollar contract around his neck and thus, must be given playing time while Scott sits.

I also believe that multi-million dollar contracts should only be given to "game changers"

I voted for him after I read your comment lol.

I am not sure how sold they are on Brewer, same thing with Scott and the rookie LB's. Too me Martin is the 2nd rated OT, he kept Andrew Luck squeaky clean. I think Martin is rated way ahead of Reiff, who is the 2nd ranked OT on most boards and is pretty close to the #1 Kalil.

no idea who any of these people are but that's what we need.

I am not sure how sold they are on Brewer, same thing with Scott and the rookie LB's. Too me Martin is the 2nd rated OT, he kept Andrew Luck squeaky clean. I think Martin is rated way ahead of Reiff, who is the 2nd ranked OT on most boards and is pretty close to the #1 Kalil.

A bit too early for Brewer, no?

GALLERY YOU STUPID ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should of drafted him and then traded back into the bottom half of the 1st and got J.P Losman. We could of moved Gallery to G and him and Losman would of kicked much more ass then Eli and Snee.

We should of drafted him and then traded back into the bottom half of the 1st and got J.P Losman. We could of moved Gallery to G and him and Losman would of kicked much more ass then Eli and Snee.

Man just the thought of this scenario is disturbing. Eli has given us so many memories.. there's no price tag on that.

Doesn't that also describe "Ray Rice Clone" Doug Martin?

Doesn't that also describe "Ray Rice Clone" Doug Martin?

It might... just going on highlights I like David Wilson better though.

I like his college production (and competition) a little better too. Receiving stats are comparable in the context of their offenses, so I might feel different had I seen Martin catch some balls in his video. What stood out to me about Wilson is the way he catches, he definitely has good hands. Martin, I just don't know.

When evaluating running backs, there's so much more to it than size, weight, and speed. It depends on the guy's heart....the front line that played in front of him....his football smarts.....the level of competition he faced, etc. I believe the Giants have an excellent scouting team that goes much deeper than scouring over physical numbers the way we are forced to do. And highlight films are very deceiving because it focuses on a single moment in time and leaves out 99.999999% of the rest of the career which could be a whole lot of 1 yard runs coupled with a rare breakaway now and then.

Regardless.....the draft has always been a crap shoot and we have to have faith in Reese and TC that they know a heck of alot more than we do about the players on the board. Still....it's fun to try and out guess the experts.

It might... just going on highlights I like David Wilson better though.

I like his college production (and competition) a little better too. Receiving stats are comparable in the context of their offenses, so I might feel different had I seen Martin catch some balls in his video. What stood out to me about Wilson is the way he catches, he definitely has good hands. Martin, I just don't know.

Martin had 28 receptions compared Wilson's 22, I like Wilson more as well. He is faster and had a crazy 5.9 ypc average. Wilson also has fresher legs, has he was only a starter for one year, playing behind Ryan Williams and Darren Evans. I think he same the issue has Bradshaw has he loses the ball when he won't go down,also in the sugar bowl he lost tons of yards, by reversing field, there has been other runs where he reversed field and got a first down by out running the D. I think we can get Wilson at 63. He would be a great pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVzLOkqKDj0

Martin had 28 receptions compared Wilson's 22, I like Wilson more as well. He is faster and had a crazy 5.9 ypc average. Wilson also has fresher legs, has he was only a starter for one year, playing behind Ryan Williams and Darren Evans. I think he same the issue has Bradshaw has he loses the ball when he won't go down,also in the sugar bowl he lost tons of yards, by reversing field, there has been other runs where he reversed field and got a first down by out running the D. I think we can get Wilson at 63. He would be a great pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVzLOkqKDj0

Oh christ, I hadn't seen that run... shit like that turned me off to Lamar Miller (now that guy, even in his highlight videos he made very bad decisions... stay away from him, please).

Oh christ, I hadn't seen that run... shit like that turned me off to Lamar Miller (now that guy, even in his highlight videos he made very bad decisions... stay away from him, please).

yeah, he did it alot, sometimes had success with it, but he will not outrun nfl d's. I am back and forth on him, after that bowl game, I wasn't sure why the love, but I have seen games were he is impressive.