SportsWrath

Spag's OUT in St. Louis

BronxRik

Steve Spagnuolo lost his job with the Rams on Monday, but the coach won’t be out of work for long.

Spagnuolo, who earned his opportunity with the Rams on the strength of a successful run as the Giants’ defensive coordinator, will be in high demand as a coordinator on the open market this offseason.

NFL.com analyst Michael Lombardi believes a return to the Giants remains a possibility despite New York’s late surge to the NFC East title. Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell has been heavily criticized this season, and Lombardi said Spagnuolo is extremely well-regarded within the organization.

Another frequent target of derision has been first-year Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo, which makes Philadelphia another potential landing spot for Spagnuolo.

“Had Andy Reid had Steve Spagnuolo available to him last year when he was searching for a defensive coordinator, that would have been a slam dunk,” Lombardi said. “Many in Philadelphia think Steve Spagnuolo will go back there. … There will be major competition for Steve Spagnuolo.”

Spagnuolo worked under Reid’s Eagles from 1999 to 2006 before jumping to the Giants.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/02/spagnuolo-will-be-hot-commodity-on-d-coordinato/

The Giants have a long and tragic history with this.....I am certain Philly will outhustle the Giants for Spags....and that assumes the want Fewell out, which is not guaranteed.

I thought Fewell's contract was up anyway? Takes away the whole 'getting rid of him' part. But yeah, with the Gmen in the playoffs, and Philly out combined with Spag's getting the ax, Philly can talk to him right away. What are the Giants gonna do, say "Hey Perry, luv ya, but regardless of how deep we go in the playoffs, we're not going to extend your contract. 'Preciate ya though". Philly has the jump, but people keep saying how unhappy he was in Philly, so........

Yeah this could go either way. Spags could always end up with another team that none of us are even thinking about right now. There still could be a major regime change after this season, anyway. I don't think making the playoffs at 9-7 is good enough. Spags led this defense to a Super Bowl win. Fewell isn't likely to do that (fingers crossed, though). If they have a legit chance to bring Spags back, you have to cut ties with a guy that ran a unit that was simply embarrassed on multiple occasions this year, and oh yeah, that guy doesn't have a contract for 2012. I really hope to see Spags back on the Giants' sideline. And I think we have to be the front runner.

For some reason, I just don't believe Andy will let his ego get rid of Castillo after one season at defensive coordinator. I like our chances.

Yeah this could go either way. Spags could always end up with another team that none of us are even thinking about right now. There still could be a major regime change after this season, anyway. I don't think making the playoffs at 9-7 is good enough. Spags led this defense to a Super Bowl win. Fewell isn't likely to do that (fingers crossed, though). If they have a legit chance to bring Spags back, you have to cut ties with a guy that ran a unit that was simply embarrassed on multiple occasions this year, and oh yeah, that guy doesn't have a contract for 2012. I really hope to see Spags back on the Giants' sideline. And I think we have to be the front runner.

For some reason, I just don't believe Andy will let his ego get rid of Castillo after one season at defensive coordinator. I like our chances.

This. I think the whole organisation took a gamble on the defensive scheme knowing it was a long play. Given how well they've played in the last part of the season I think they'll stick with Castillo.

Guest StrahansGap

Fewell will be back next year. These last two games have earned him a spot on the sidelines. Mara is a loyal guy. He already said Coughlin ain't going anywhere. I expect Fewell and Gilbride to remain too.......

Fewell will be back next year. These last two games have earned him a spot on the sidelines. Mara is a loyal guy. He already said Coughlin ain't going anywhere. I expect Fewell and Gilbride to remain too.......

What? The last 2 games? Against Sanchez?... shit Romo had solid #s against us... no fucking way Fewel should get an extension... Spags was solid in his second year with less talent.