SportsWrath

Reese revisited: Critics are quiet now

Mr. P

zn7r51.png

What did you think of the job Jerry Reese was doing back in the summer?

Be honest. If you’re like most Giants fans, you probably weren’t impressed. And you weren’t alone. As the “Dream Team” was being assembled in Philadelphia, even some of the Giants players weren’t sure what their GM was doing upstairs.

“I think everybody had a little part of them that said, ‘What is he doing?’” admitted Giants defensive end Justin Tuck. “It wasn’t that we didn’t trust him. It’s just human nature. You see what Philly did. You see what other teams did to improve their rosters. In the back of your mind everybody had a little doubt.

“Obviously he’s proven that he’s smarter than the average bear.”

Tuck told me that as part of a column on Reese that I wrote for Sunday’s Daily News, looking back at his much-criticized summer of inaction that was the flashpoint for the Giants’ remarkable, 6-2 first half (a column you'll be able to find on the Daily News Giants page later Saturday night or during the day on Sunday). I also looked back at some of Reese’s most criticized moves (and non-moves).

All of them, as you can see, are looking pretty good:

Not re-signing WR Steve Smith

The situation: The Giants didn't think Smith would be healthy enough to help until midseason, but they tried to sign him anyway to a minimal deal because without the former Pro Bowler they didn't have an obvious third receiver on the roster. Smith took a one-year, $4 million deal from Philadelphia instead.

In hindsight: Smith has five catches in six games with the Eagles. Meanwhile, with Smith out of the way, Victor Cruz has exploded with 34 catches, 588 yards and four touchdowns.

Verdict: Brilliant move. And if they want Smith back, he’s a free agent at the end of the year.

Not re-signing TE Kevin Boss

The situation: The Giants wanted Boss back and thought they had a deal with him. But then, according to Giants co-owner John Mara, Boss “hit the lottery” and got a four-year, $16 million deal with $8 million guaranteed for Oakland. The Giants weren’t going to touch that for a player who caught 35 passes the year before.

In hindsight: Who knew Jake Ballard would emerge and be on pace to top Boss’ career high receiving numbers? Boss, meanwhile, has just 8 catches in six games in Oakland and was recently benched.

Verdict: Great move, though they thought Travis Beckum, not Ballard, would pick up the slack.

Cutting C Shaun O’Hara/G Rich Seubert; signing C David Baas

The situation: Injuries and age had taken their tolls on O’Hara and Seubert, neither of whom were ready to start the season. The Giants knew they needed to get younger and get LT Will Beatty into the lineup. They then moved quickly to give Baas a five-year, $27.5 million deal.

In hindsight: O’Hara and Seubert never signed with anyone and may be facing the ends of their NFL careers. Baas struggled early and has battled injuries, but the reworked offensive line has shown signs of improvement.

Verdict: Good move – and one they had no choice but to make.

Not re-signing DT Barry Cofield

The situation: Cofield would’ve been a nice luxury, but the six-year, $36 million deal he got from Washington made no sense considering the Giants had two second-round picks – Linval Joseph (2010), Marvin Austin (2011) – waiting in the wings at the same position.

In hindsight: Cofield’s presence might have helped against the run, but that’s a lot of money for a player at a non-impact position. They already have $42 million tied up in Chris Canty. Joseph is playing well. They were hurt, though, by the season-ending torn pec suffered by Austin.

Verdict: OK move. It would’ve been good to have him, but a cap-strapped team couldn’t afford to have $78 million tied up at defensive tackle.

Not signing WR Plaxico Burress

At the time: Still unsure of who their third receiver would be, Plaxico Burress got out of prison and requested a sit-down, clear-the-air session with Tom Coughlin, leading everyone to think that maybe they could work together. Instead, Burress ended up with a one-year, $3 million contract across town with the Jets.

In hindsight: Yeah, sure, the big red-zone target would’ve been nice, but when you add in the distractions and the fact that in several interviews he made it clear he wouldn’t conform to Coughlin’s rules, it was a bad fit and bad idea from the beginning. Cruz is out-performing him anyway.

Verdict: Great move. The Giants are way better off with a seemingly good character player like Cruz, who is producing more than Burress and is willing to follow Coughlin’s rules.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2011/11/reese-revisited-critics-are-quiet-now

Manningham is a free agent after this year right? Id imagine they would try and bring him back before considering Smith. As for Reese, he might have fell ass backwards into Cruz and Ballard but it's better lucky than good sometimes. Bringing Weatherford in can't be discounted either. I wonder where the team would be right now had they stuck with Dodge coming out of camp?

That doesn't even mention getting Jaquain Williams, Darel Scott, Greg Jones, and Mark Herzlich all in the 6th round or later. Also stealing players like JPP, Prince, and Austin. Not even gonna mention all the other drafts. I relize the jury is still out on the 11 draft class but it's looking spectacular!

That doesn't even mention getting Jaquain Williams, Darel Scott, Greg Jones, and Mark Herzlich all in the 6th round or later. Also stealing players like JPP, Prince, and Austin. Not even gonna mention all the other drafts. I relize the jury is still out on the 11 draft class but it's looking spectacular!

Prince Austin Scott have not produced much of anything on the field.

JPP could easily be an Eagle right now. Man, that's a scary thought. I know we have seen some poor finishes with this team but the fact that the worst we have seen since Eli became the quarterback is an 8-8 season really speaks volumes to the job Coughlin and Reese have done up to this point. To be competitive every year in a league where staying power isn't exactly easy to come by is a solid accomplishment.

Only thing I'd like to say is we should have re-signed Barry Cofield and they decided not to. He made the team better and regardless of who you draft, rookies rarely step in and produce at the level a veteran can if not better.

Giants decided not to re-sign Cofield two years ago and how that works out will not be decided in a year or two but in 4 to 6.

Smith coming back next season? Absolutely a possibility.

O'Hara and Seubert simply weren't getting younger and healthier as the years went by. We've been drafting players for the line the last couple of years to step up and take over. For the most part they've done it.

You guys act as there isn't a cap for these guys. Tuck Osi kiwi Eli Jacob Snee. Just to name a few are our cOntract guys that WR paid deserving money to. The NFL is a screwed up business where you have to maintain the promising and release the good to make room. Lucky for us our system has been the work of art. Players that leave our styles just has a hard time ajusting.

I think a pretty underrated move was getting rid of Dodge and bringing in Weatherford. A lot of people thought Dodge just needed a chance and would get over his rookie yips.

I was one of those people, but I'm obviously happy with Weatherford.

I was one of those people, but I'm obviously happy with Weatherford.

I wonder where old Dodgey is now, anyway.....

Who knows, it might have happened, unfortunately we couldn't wait around to find out.....

Smith coming back next season? Absolutely a possibility.

If healthy, I'd be okay with it. That said, I'd force him to earn his way back up the depth chart. At best, I'd allow him to enter training camp as 4th string behind Nicks, Manningham, Cruz. If Barden improves, Smith is 5th string. If Manningham signs elsewhere, assuming he's a free agent at the end of the season (I am not up on all the players' contracts), Smith could step in.

Wouldn't hurt to have a little inside info on the Eagles. Then again, the changes from year to year coupled with Smith's one year in their system might limit that advantage.

If healthy, I'd be okay with it. That said, I'd force him to earn his way back up the depth chart. At best, I'd allow him to enter training camp as 4th string behind Nicks, Manningham, Cruz. If Barden improves, Smith is 5th string. If Manningham signs elsewhere, assuming he's a free agent at the end of the season (I am not up on all the players' contracts), Smith could step in.

Wouldn't hurt to have a little inside info on the Eagles. Then again, the changes from year to year coupled with Smith's one year in their system might limit that advantage.

Manningham is a free agent. I like Mario and hope he really plays for a contract the rest of this season, but as I've said before, I'd love to have a stud across from Nicks, so I'd be fine with MM finding a new team after we win the Super Bowl this year. :P

Manningham is a free agent. I like Mario and hope he really plays for a contract the rest of this season, but as I've said before, I'd love to have a stud across from Nicks, so I'd be fine with MM finding a new team after we win the Super Bowl this year. :P

Doesn't even have to be a stud across from Nicks...just someone more consistent than Manningham. I like Mario too, but it seems Mario is pretty streaky at times. I could be proven wrong there with stats, but I'm just going off a general feeling. I would entertain Cruz at #2 and Mario at #3 at some point, but that'd probably not increase the consistency factor much (not to mention almost assuredly push Manningham out the door at season's end).

Aside from the one mental lapse, and I can see why he did it, he was drawing 3 defenders and saw that if he could break off the route, Manning would see that he was actually open....like our offense does all the time---relying on the QB and WR being on the same page like that--- I think Manningham played better than anyone else on the field on offense.

I don't get the hate. The deep ball was out of his reach.

Aside from the one mental lapse, and I can see why he did it, he was drawing 3 defenders and saw that if he could break off the route, Manning would see that he was actually open....like our offense does all the time---relying on the QB and WR being on the same page like that--- I think Manningham played better than anyone else on the field on offense.

I don't get the hate. The deep ball was out of his reach.

Me neither.. I like Manningham.. a lot.