SportsWrath

Reese revisited: Critics are quiet now

Mr. P

Me neither.. I like Manningham.. a lot.

I personally think he's one of our more consistent players on offense. Him and Nicks (though he must have been seeing some serious coverage Sunday or was still banged up from the hammy, I think Eli only looked his way that once on the TD). And now Ballard.

For the record I don't hate Manningham. But right now teams are rolling a safety over the top of Nicks all game long, making him negligible. If Manningham is THAT good, he would make these guys pay with TD's. IMO, Manningham has been good, but not great. Of course I'm looking for how the Giants can become the Packers (with a defense), not just maintain the status quo on offense. I'd love to see the Giants run up 40 points per game on teams. Eli has the ability. But we need a player that is going to command the respect that Nicks does on the outside and make teams pick their poison. Cruz and MM are good, and I said I'd love to see Cruz as our slot receiver for the next 10 years, but this offense would go to another level if we had something like what Atlanta does with Roddy White and Julio Jones. When those two guys are healthy together, that causes big problems.

It's just little things with Mario. I think he played well this past game. I do think he could've caught that long ball. It would've been a helluva catch, but he could've made it, just that close. But he did well in this game, and my critique of him really has more to do with past performance than this most recent one.

Are you faulting Manningham for the pass that Eli put a few inches out of his reach? There wasn't much he could have done about that one....it hit his outstretched fingertips.....not a bad throw, but not a drop, either. Just a game of inches.

And I disagree. Atlanta has been doing better when one of those guys is injured, which has been just about every game this year. At least, that's what the stats and W-L says.

If Mario lays out he probably could have made the play but those are the breaks. Certainly can't kill him for it. There are three areas on this team that are at elite levels compared to the rest of the league. Quarterback, wide receiver, and defensive end. Mario is a big part of that and without looking at the rest of the roster and their contract situations I have to imagine he will be a priority in the off-season.

If Mario lays out he probably could have made the play but those are the breaks. Certainly can't kill him for it. There are three areas on this team that are at elite levels compared to the rest of the league. Quarterback, wide receiver, and defensive end. Mario is a big part of that and without looking at the rest of the roster and their contract situations I have to imagine he will be a priority in the off-season.

And Manning seems to have a strong rapport with him....

Actually, Manning seems to have a strong rapport with just about any WR that comes through the door, but Manningham especially....in my opinion, anyway.

Are you faulting Manningham for the pass that Eli put a few inches out of his reach? There wasn't much he could have done about that one....it hit his outstretched fingertips.....not a bad throw, but not a drop, either. Just a game of inches.

And I disagree. Atlanta has been doing better when one of those guys is injured, which has been just about every game this year. At least, that's what the stats and W-L says.

No, I'm not faulting him, Storm. He made a great effort. He might've been able to haul it in if he laid out. And I like MM. But as I've been saying for years, I like taller receivers with speed and great hands (who doesn't right?). Manningham has great speed, and I think he's above average. But his field awareness at times hasn't been good, and his hands are very average. He's generously listed at 6'0", 185 lbs (I think that's with a helmet and cleats on, lol). Then you look at Justin Blackmon... he has elite hands, elite speed, and is 6'1", 215 lbs. That's 30 pounds he has on MM, harder to tackle. Game of inches? That inch or two Blackmon has on Manningham... would that have made a difference on that long bomb? I don't know. But I do know that Blackmon is going to be a superstar in the NFL. Hopefully you guys don't take this as me slighting Manningham. I like him. I thought the 49er game was his best of the season. I just think if they get someone else on the elite level across from Nicks that this offense will explode.

Doubtful. I've always found more success staying on your feet than diving for the ball. I think where Mario might have went wrong maybe by positioning himself for the ball to fall into his hands instead of taking more of an upwardly angle to get the ball. The throw didn't have much of a curve/lob to it. It was a matter of an inch either way... great play.. great call.. too bad it wasn't a catch.

No, I'm not faulting him, Storm. He made a great effort. He might've been able to haul it in if he laid out. And I like MM. But as I've been saying for years, I like taller receivers with speed and great hands (who doesn't right?). Manningham has great speed, and I think he's above average. But his field awareness at times hasn't been good, and his hands are very average. He's generously listed at 6'0", 185 lbs (I think that's with a helmet and cleats on, lol). Then you look at Justin Blackmon... he has elite hands, elite speed, and is 6'1", 215 lbs. That's 30 pounds he has on MM, harder to tackle. Game of inches? That inch or two Blackmon has on Manningham... would that have made a difference on that long bomb? I don't know. But I do know that Blackmon is going to be a superstar in the NFL. Hopefully you guys don't take this as me slighting Manningham. I like him. I thought the 49er game was his best of the season. I just think if they get someone else on the elite level across from Nicks that this offense will explode.

In hindsight, I wish we had seen more of Barden.

Alright, fair enough assessment. I agree on most of it, too, there has been times when he's ran himself out of receptions because he's got so damn close t to the sidelines. At least twice that I can remember where he hung Eli out to dry on picks (I can see what went through his mind against SF, though, and it's no excuse, just that he thought if he broke the route off, Manning would see that he was open....unfortunately, as soon as he broke the route off, Manning threw the ball right where he had been heading).

On the other hand, though, I haven't seen a receiver on the Giants make sideline tiptoe catches like Manningham does since Toomer was around. So that shows, at least to me, that he at least normally has good field presence and that he's improving on it.

If he had absolutely laid out, like dive a few yards, he prolly would have caught that, you're right. Who knows though, it would have been tough still with the inevitable meeting with the ground after pulling it in.

Alright, fair enough assessment. I agree on most of it, too, there has been times when he's ran himself out of receptions because he's got so damn close t to the sidelines. At least twice that I can remember where he hung Eli out to dry on picks (I can see what went through his mind against SF, though, and it's no excuse, just that he thought if he broke the route off, Manning would see that he was open....unfortunately, as soon as he broke the route off, Manning threw the ball right where he had been heading).

On the other hand, though, I haven't seen a receiver on the Giants make sideline tiptoe catches like Manningham does since Toomer was around. So that shows, at least to me, that he at least normally has good field presence and that he's improving on it.

If he had absolutely laid out, like dive a few yards, he prolly would have caught that, you're right. Who knows though, it would have been tough still with the inevitable meeting with the ground after pulling it in.

There is a noticeable improvement in Manningham's field awareness that's for sure. So far no one can do it as well as the great Amani but we're heading in the right direction.

That's weird that you guys are talking about Eli's rapport with Manningham. I put that pick squarely on Manningham as he basically gave up on the route and Eli ended up throwing it to where he should have been.

Also, if you take a look at ALL of Eli's picks this season, at least half of them were to where Manningham was supposed to be. They're still a pretty good duo, but of all the WRs I'd say Eli is on the same page with Mario the least.

My thought on that play was yes, Manningham broke off the route but even if he didn't, the ball would have had to be in a VERY tight window. There were several defenders within arms reach, making that a very low % pass. My comment at the time was, "are we that desperate?"

That's weird that you guys are talking about Eli's rapport with Manningham. I put that pick squarely on Manningham as he basically gave up on the route and Eli ended up throwing it to where he should have been.

Also, if you take a look at ALL of Eli's picks this season, at least half of them were to where Manningham was supposed to be. They're still a pretty good duo, but of all the WRs I'd say Eli is on the same page with Mario the least.

Disagreed. There were 3 defenders around Manningham... Eli should have just thorwn it away.. he pushed it and paid a heavy price.

Yes, but see, like we've said, he quit on the route because there were 3 guys in the vicinity had he continued it.

It was the right move at the wrong time. Manning holds that ball 1 second longer, he's hitting Manningham wide-open on that. Similarly, Manningham breaks a second earlier, Manning hits him. It was on both of them, plain and simple. Eli shouldn't have been throwing the ball there in the first place. Manningham probably should have continued the route (though Manning had time to sit on that one).

We all talk about it, that's a case of the offense being based on the receivers and Manning being on the same page. We've seen an improvement on it from last year to this year, but there are going to be mistakes.

Yes, but see, like we've said, he quit on the route because there were 3 guys in the vicinity had he continued it.

It was the right move at the wrong time. Manning holds that ball 1 second longer, he's hitting Manningham wide-open on that. Similarly, Manningham breaks a second earlier, Manning hits him. It was on both of them, plain and simple. Eli shouldn't have been throwing the ball there in the first place. Manningham probably should have continued the route (though Manning had time to sit on that one).

We all talk about it, that's a case of the offense being based on the receivers and Manning being on the same page. We've seen an improvement on it from last year to this year, but there are going to be mistakes.

Gilfuck's multi-read system breeds this type of shit....one or two check downs is enough...not if this happens ...then this or that ...or maybe you might want to.... :facepalm: