SportsWrath

Taking stock of where we are at

BleedinBlue

There is much to cheer about even though we should have beaten Seattle and probably Washington too.

Two really good articles in this morning's NY Post:

Pierre-Paul emerging for Giants

By BRIAN LEWIS

Despite missing defensive ends Justin Tuck for four games and Osi Umenyiora for three, the Giants came into this weekend's bye leading the NFL in sacks. Young Jason Pierre-Paul is the biggest reason why. He has 7½ sacks second in the league, and his coaches say his vast potential is beginning to be tapped.

Is Pierre-Paul raw? Like sushi. Is he talented? Like a Pro Bowler. As he continues to learn the game -- seemingly by the week -- even his coaches are amazed by the plays he makes. When asked how high Pierre-Paul's ceiling is, defensive line coach Robert Nunn smiled like the cat that ate the canary, and wondered if he even has one.

"I'm not sure. I really don't believe that we're close to it. I really don't," Nunn said. "The amazing thing about him is he's a long way away from where he can get to. He's done such a good job of coming in and just learning the system. He hasn't played much football. I'm amazed every day by JPP. Every game it's just like he learns something new and he continues to improve."

A scary enough thought for offensive tackles everywhere, the 2010 first-round pick from South Florida leading the way for Big Blue's NFL-high 21 sacks.

"His focus on the practice field is where he's improved the most and it's showing up on Sundays," Nunn said. "He's a very unique talent. He's got such good quickness. Once he begins to play full speed, it's scary. It's not that he's loafing; it's just the game is still moving fast for him. It continues to slow down more and more as we go. He's got to be accounted for every snap.

"He just hasn't played that high a number of snaps in his lifetime, going back to high school, junior college, college. He's learning as we go."

To call Pierre-Paul raw is to understate the case. He was a basketball star at Deerfield Beach (Fla.) High until a leg injury prompted him to take up football as a senior. After a season at College of the Canyons (Calif.) and another at Fort Scott (Kan.) Community College, he played just one year at South Florida before bolting to the NFL. Predictably, he's still learning the game.

"I just go out and play the game, basically," Pierre-Paul said. "You just go out and play the game 'cause you love it. That's all that counts in the game of football."

When asked if he noticed offenses starting to game-plan for him, he said: "I don't even know, man. I just go out and play."

But with Pierre-Paul emerging as an elite pass-rusher, offenses have resorted to sliding protections and often leaving in a back to chip him.

"Yeah, they chip me a couple of times. They weren't doing that in the beginning. It is what it is, you know," said Pierre-Paul. "It's all right, though. It's in my mind that I'm doing my job, because now they're chipping me. I've just got to find a way to get past the chip and still get to the quarterback or still stop the run."

That will be easier with the expected return of Tuck. The Giants have been forced to play Pierre-Paul far more snaps than they would like, and hope to scale that back.

"Last week he was in the mid-40s, but a couple games before that he was in the mid-60s. The game out here was hot, against Seattle, very hot. He played 64, 65 snaps. I think in Arizona he played 68, 69 snaps," Nunn said. "That's more snaps than we want him playing."

That exhaustion has taken a visible toll at times on Pierre-Paul, who relies upon explosiveness, not brute force.

"If we could reduce that to 40, 45 plays a game, he could produce even better numbers because sometimes he plays slow at times," defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said. "We think that's because he's winded."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Best and worst for Giants at bye

October 21, 2011

With no game to prepare for this weekend, the Giants coaching staff spent much of the week in self-scouting mode, treating its own team as if it were the opponent, poring over each game tape to determine obvious tendencies, strengths and weaknesses and personnel deployment. Looking at themselves with a critical eye, the Giants hope to uncover some hints that can help them following their bye-week respite.

In the spirit of analytical interpretation, The Post has decided to see what went right, what went wrong, who deserves credit and who deserves blame after the first six games of the season. The Giants sit at 4-2 at their break, which is no shock, and alone in first place in the NFC East, which is a shock, not only here but in Philadelphia. Here's the rundown:

BIGGEST SURPRISE

Jake Ballard. Raise your hand if you expected 15 catches for 273 yards and two touchdowns from a guy who came in with zero NFL receptions. Anyone with his hand up is a liar.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Travis Beckum. It's strange when the greatest surprise and disappointment come out of the same position. The Giants expected catches, yards and production from Beckum and, for now, have virtually nothing (one catch, two yards) to show from a third-round draft pick in his third season. Time is running out on Beckum.

BEST COMEBACK

All the Osi Umenyiora summer tumult has given way to sacks (five in three games), pressures and harassments of opposing quarterbacks. Umenyiora still despises his contract, but he's making noise on the field, and not with his mouth.

BEST MOMENT

The Giants were trailing 16-14 at Lincoln Financial Field midway through the fourth quarter when, from the Eagles' 28-yard line, Eli Manning hurled a pass in the direction of Victor Cruz, with safety Jarrad Page and all-world cornerback Nmandi Asomugha blanketing the receiver. It was one of those "Oh, no" passes that turned into an "Oh, wow" play, as Cruz somehow out-leaped and out-muscled the two defenders to secure the touchdown catch that provided the Giants with their winning points in a breakthrough 29-16 triumph over their archrivals.

WORST MOMENT

Through all of their failures, the Giants were within 29-25 and driving, at the Seattle 5-yard line ready to push in the winning touchdown and get the heck out with a win even though they didn't deserve it. Disaster struck when Cruz slipped coming out of his break, ruining the timing on Manning's pass that glanced off the receiver's hands and directly to Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner for an interception that was returned 94 yards for the clinching points in a terrible 36-25 loss.

MOST ALARMING STAT

Are we men or are we mice? The Giants are 26th in the league in rushing yards per game (90.2) and 31st in yards per attempt (3.3)? For a team that treats "smash-mouth" as a first name this is unacceptable and must be righted, pronto.

MOST ALARMING STAT

(RUNNER-UP)

Third down is the worst down. The Giants convert a putrid 31.5 percent of their chances, no better than 27th in the NFL, and behind such offensive juggernauts as the Bengals, Jaguars and Cardinals, teams with all sorts of quarterback issues. No team with Manning running the show should be so inept at converting third downs into first downs.

GREATEST REVELATION

Cruz didn't really do much to make the roster during camp, but the lack of competition at receiver saved his spot and on the first offensive series of the season he dropped a pass that should have given the Giants a first down in Washington. Since then he has been a high-wire act, with chills and spills and 21 receptions for 398 yards and three touchdowns.

UNSUNG HERO

Michael Boley had to take over making the defensive calls when middle linebacker Jonathan Goff was lost for the season. He also had to shepherd an in credibly young group with four rookie linebackers making the team. Boley has handled the in creased workload, and this is the best he has played since coming to the Giants in 2009.

BEST NON-SIGNINGS

General manager Jerry Reese was castigated after making con tract offers but failing to secure receiver Steve Smith and tight end Kevin Boss. Reese was ac cused of being asleep at the switch and not understanding the market value of his players.

Well, neither player has done much in his new surroundings.

Smith, coming off knee surgery, is a shell of his former self (five receptions, 63 yards) for the Eagles. Boss, in four games with the Raiders has just seven catches for 149 yards,and his lone touchdown was the result of a fake punt.

The replacements -- Cruz for Smith, Ballard for Boss -- have far exceeded the output of the departed.

PREDICTIONS

* The Giants have not seen the last of Justin Tuck's neck problems because ramming a helmet into a 315-pound offensive tackle doesn't help heal a burner.

* Rookie linebacker Mark Herzlich, a special teams contributor thus far, will make a play on defense that helps win a game.

* Antrel Rolle's presence on defense, especially against the run, will increase, and Deon Grant's role will diminish.

* Manning is going to finish the season with a higher quarterback rating than the career-best 93.1 he attained in 2009.

* Rookie running back Da'Rel Scott, who does not yet have a rushing attempt, either will rush or take a catch-and-run longer than 25 yards for a touchdown.

I'm not sure Herzlich will make a play on defense that helps us win a game this year, maybe on special teams.

But if he's in there on defense it means some linebackers have gone down.

I think Herzlich will be just fine and a top notch linebacker in the NFL. We are so lucky this year to have a solid group of youngsters at the LB position. Maybe it's because the D-Line has finally gotten their shit together this year so that the LB's can actually play their position instead of cleaning up the mess left over from the line.

God those rushing numbers are embarrassing. It may very well be the case that the Giants will have to be a pass first team if just for this season until they can fix these issues. Eli has had a great start to the year and as a 100 million dollar player if he needs to carry the team he needs to be up for the task.

On a side note, I get the point of the article but the Bengals don't look like they have quarterback issues. Dalton looks like a player. That connection with him to Green should be very productive for years to come.

It's an off week and I'm about to start my two job day so I'll get one more in. 4-2 is a nice start but I can't forget about the Seattle loss. That extra game could be huge. Unless the Giants play absolutely stellar football, 10-6 is probably what we are looking at if they play good, solid football. That didn't get us into the playoffs last year. They need to make up for that bedshitting somewhere. How about you go into New England week 9 and remind them of '08?

Osi deserves some kudos. He is playing pretty well and letting his play do the talking rather than his mouth in terms of getting a new contract. 5 sacks in 3 games? Thats awesome.

We need to improve our run game and get better at converting 3rd downs, which Im sure the almost non existent run game has something to do with that. With Snee coming back, that should get better.

Osi deserves some kudos. He is playing pretty well and letting his play do the talking rather than his mouth in terms of getting a new contract. 5 sacks in 3 games? Thats awesome.

We need to improve our run game and get better at converting 3rd downs, which Im sure the almost non existent run game has something to do with that. With Snee coming back, that should get better.

Yea.. pretty stellar against the run I tell you that <_<

Yea.. pretty stellar against the run I tell you that <_<

Who, Osi, or our D as a whole? Osi has a weakness, and its stopping the run. He pass rushes like nobodys business, but hes not the best at stopping the run. But my point is, he's playing well and not complaining anymore.

First of all, good reads, Bleedin. Thanks a lot! :TU:

Second, I'm sticking with my 6-10 prediction after dropping it from 7-9. I thought we'd beat the Bills this year and lose to the Eagles twice, but I sure as hell didn't think the Seahawks were going to beat us.

Of course, I'm also the guy who thought we should draft a QB to replace Eli, cut Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan, expect David Diehl to be a bust at LT, and take Kenny Britt over Hakeem Nicks, so what the fuck do I really know at the end of the day?

First of all, good reads, Bleedin. Thanks a lot! :TU:

Second, I'm sticking with my 6-10 prediction after dropping it from 7-9. I thought we'd beat the Bills this year and lose to the Eagles twice, but I sure as hell didn't think the Seahawks were going to beat us.

Of course, I'm also the guy who thought we should draft a QB to replace Eli, cut Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan, expect David Diehl to be a bust at LT, and take Kenny Britt over Hakeem Nicks, so what the fuck do I really know at the end of the day?

I wanted Robert Gallery instead of Eli in 04' and wanted to keep Kerry Collins. :facepalm:

I wanted Robert Gallery instead of Eli in 04' and wanted to keep Kerry Collins. :facepalm:

Funny.....I was yelling for us to get Gallery as well. Once Oakland grabbed him though, I was thinking Ben Roethlisberger. Gallery has been a bust but Big Ben has two rings already.

Funny.....I was yelling for us to get Gallery as well. Once Oakland grabbed him though, I was thinking Ben Roethlisberger. Gallery has been a bust but Big Ben has two rings already.

I respected Big Bens skills, and thought he'd be a real good QB, but I didnt want a QB at all that draft. I wanted to beef the Oline and stay with Collins, because the learning curve for a rookie QB is too long. We had just been in the SB, and I didnt want to start over.

Thank God Im not our GM..... :rolleyes:

Me too. But Gallery isn't much of a bust since he moved from tackle to guard.

Yeah, but when you blow a number 2 pick overall on a guard, it's such a waste. You can find solid guards in the second and third rounds (even later for that matter), but a stellar tackle is hard to find and Gallery was supposed to be the most elite tackle to come out of college in decades.

I wanted Gallery too, but at the end of the day, would have been satisfied taking whomever fell to us at #4. Whether that was Eli, Rivers, Roethlisberger, or Gallery.

And while we're on the subject, Eli will never, short of winning a couple more superbowls, live up to his asking price. I fully believe that Rivers or Roethlisberger could've won against the Patriots given the way our defense was playing.

Am I glad we have Eli...yes. Do I think that we'd be in pretty much the same spot we are now with Rivers or Roethlisberger...yes. It's what the front office would've done with the additional draft picks that we could've retained that is the opportunity lost. But that's all behind us now. I'm ready for the next game.

I wanted Gallery too, but at the end of the day, would have been satisfied taking whomever fell to us at #4. Whether that was Eli, Rivers, Roethlisberger, or Gallery.

And while we're on the subject, Eli will never, short of winning a couple more superbowls, live up to his asking price. I fully believe that Rivers or Roethlisberger could've won against the Patriots given the way our defense was playing.

Am I glad we have Eli...yes. Do I think that we'd be in pretty much the same spot we are now with Rivers or Roethlisberger...yes. It's what the front office would've done with the additional draft picks that we could've retained that is the opportunity lost. But that's all behind us now. I'm ready for the next game.

A lot of people on this board were screaming to take Sean Taylor. We gave up an awful lot for Eli, but I don't regret it.

A lot of people on this board were screaming to take Sean Taylor. We gave up an awful lot for Eli, but I don't regret it.

I can't say that I regret it either. What I guess I'm trying to say is that looking back at this point, Eli is not so far above Rivers or Roethlisberger to have justified the extra picks when those two were available for 'free'.

Forgot about Sean Taylor...that was that draft too.

I wanted Eli but never thought there was a chance we would make a move for him, I wasn't a big college football watcher back then but I had friends who love college football raving about Eli.

Since I thought we had no chance at Eli I was basically torn between Gallery and Taylor.

Did you guys forget a WR in that draft?? Scout said he has great hands and could be a HOF. Let you guys guess his name.

I'm glad we got Eli because his personality fits NY media the best. Think of the back page of the post with the finger pointing Rivers and his stupid mug after lossing a game. Big Bens scandal n Harley riding ass.

Did you guys forget a WR in that draft?? Scout said he has great hands and could be a HOF. Let you guys guess his name.

I'm glad we got Eli because his personality fits NY media the best. Think of the back page of the post with the finger pointing Rivers and his stupid mug after lossing a game. Big Bens scandal n Harley riding ass.

BINGO. Yes Rivers' stats.. and Ben's stats are (or at least seem to be) better than Eli's. But I doubt either one of them could deal with being in NYC... Rivers' temper/personality sucks.. and Ben can't seem to keep his dick in is pants. I'll take Eli any day.

I second that. No matter how you cut it, you can't put a price tag on winning a Super Bowl. The trade is already a success from that standpoint. I certainly had my doubts about his ability to get the job done leading up to the playoffs in 07(e.g. being outperformed by Cleo Lemon in London), but he put it together and since then, he has really performed well every year except last years turnover debacle. And he still managed 4000 yards and 30 touchdowns. As for Rivers, he still has plenty of time but he's beginning to look like the Marino of this generation.

Larry Fitzgerald?

I'm happy with Eli too. At the time, I thought Ben was a better QB than Rivers, but with all the scandal that has followed Ben, I'm glad he's not a Giant. The trouble with Eli (IMHO) is that he comes completely prepared and can read the defense like a children's book.....but everything has to work perfectly - the routes, the timings, the protection, the whole enchilada. When the team is working like a well-oiled machine....Eli's deadly and perhaps the best in the business. But if another player screws up or the route running's timing is off or the protection breaks down, he scares me. Still love him though!