SportsWrath

I'm going to drink

Virginia Giant

This was a piss poor performance all around, but at the risk of being called a gillbride hater (which I readily admit I am), how do you not run the ball on 1st and goal on the 9, with 3 time outs and like 1:20 on the clock? At a bare minimum you have to assume you will score on the drive and need to kill some time to give seatle as little time as possible.

Once again here we are thropwing the ball at a nearly 2 to 1 rate in a game that was close throughout. This game hurts, a game we should have easily won, with opportunities to win. It was a freak int, if Cruz doesnt slip we very likely win the game, not a terrible call and not a terrible throw, but you have got to run the ball there if for no other reason to kill some clock. Time was not an issue for us with 3 time pouts and the ball on the 9 on first down.

So I'm going to drink this day away knowing some day Kevin Gillbride will no longer be the offensive coordiator of the New York Giants.

This was a piss poor performance all around, but at the risk of being called a gillbride hater (which I readily admit I am), how do you not run the ball on 1st and goal on the 9, with 3 time outs and like 1:20 on the clock? At a bare minimum you have to assume you will score on the drive and need to kill some time to give seatle as little time as possible.

Once again here we are thropwing the ball at a nearly 2 to 1 rate in a game that was close throughout. This game hurts, a game we should have easily won, with opportunities to win. It was a freak int, if Cruz doesnt slip we very likely win the game, not a terrible call and not a terrible throw, but you have got to run the ball there if for no other reason to kill some clock. Time was not an issue for us with 3 time pouts and the ball on the 9 on first down.

So I'm going to drink this day away knowing some day Kevin Gillbride will no longer be the offensive coordiator of the New York Giants.

Normally I would agree with you, but our offensive line pretty much sucked cock today. After giving up that safety, I'm not suprised Killdrive went with the pass at that point.

You don't let the previous run plays dictate how you play the rest of the game. Especially in situations like that, when you 1. Have the momentum, 2. Need to kill time, and 3. Have 1st and goal inside the 10.

You can't defend Gilbride on that, and only averaging 3 yards a carry is no excuse not to run the ball there. You HAVE to burn clock and put up 6. That's ALL you're thinking of, the entire beginning of the game needs to be wiped clear of your mind. That's what good coaches do, and that's what good players do.

And if you have to pass, why the hell are you throwing that route in the first place?

waht did nicks have 5 targets the whole game? there's your problem

Great point. How do you not look to Nicks in the end zone inside the 10 if you're going to pass? You don't try to run clock passing the ball. It's ridiculous that pass play was even called....

Wait until we start playing good teams. Its going to get a lot uglier if the lethargic play and overall ineptitude continue.

But that's the irony of it. They'll probably come out with more intensity against the better teams.

I'm not sold on Cruz until he settles himself down. I've been searching for a word for him...I don't know ...he's too flappy or something...

We all knew from the beginning, just by how he runs with the ball, that he was gonna put the ball on the ground this year.

It's a shame, because he's turning out to be a big playmaker.

-Z

21 rushes for 61 yards be a good reason? You're not running the ball well when Manning is your second best rusher with 5 fucking yards.

Using that logic you could say throwing the ball is a bad idea after a fumble and int by Eli. We're not talking driving 80 yards and chewing up 10 minutes with the ground game, but a couple hand offs inside the 10 with time to kill is pretty standard practice.

You don't let the previous run plays dictate how you play the rest of the game. Especially in situations like that, when you 1. Have the momentum, 2. Need to kill time, and 3. Have 1st and goal inside the 10.

You can't defend Gilbride on that, and only averaging 3 yards a carry is no excuse not to run the ball there. You HAVE to burn clock and put up 6. That's ALL you're thinking of, the entire beginning of the game needs to be wiped clear of your mind. That's what good coaches do, and that's what good players do.

And if you have to pass, why the hell are you throwing that route in the first place?

Of course you have to have it dictate your play calling. If you can't run, you can't run--and that was proven repeatedly, including a safety on a run play. Hell, we didn't even make 3 yards/carry.

You need to get the touchdown. Killing the clock is meaningless otherwise; and 1st down at 10 yards out is not a gimmie where you can afford to burn downs killing the clock.

If we could have won with a field goal, I'd agree. But we couldn't. I do agree with your last sentence, though--you don't throw into a crowd like that.

Using that logic you could say throwing the ball is a bad idea after a fumble and int by Eli. We're not talking driving 80 yards and chewing up 10 minutes with the ground game, but a couple hand offs inside the 10 with time to kill is pretty standard practice.

And if he ran twice, then threw on third and 4th, you'd complain about predictability. Because running 3 times for less than 9 yards isn't winning the game.

Of course you have to have it dictate your play calling. If you can't run, you can't run--and that was proven repeatedly, including a safety on a run play. Hell, we didn't even make 3 yards/carry.

You need to get the touchdown. Killing the clock is meaningless otherwise; and 1st down at 10 yards out is not a gimmie where you can afford to burn downs killing the clock.

If we could have won with a field goal, I'd agree. But we couldn't. I do agree with your last sentence, though--you don't throw into a crowd like that.

Dude, read what VG just wrote. It's ridiculous to even consider calling a pass on 1st and goal when you need to run clock. By run clock I mean, gain yards, too, of course. I have faith in Bradshaw getting us inside the 5 on his first touch. Right there you can waste 30-35 seconds.

3 yards a carry gets you into the end zone on 3 carries, anyway.