SportsWrath

Goff out for season

Lubeck

mitchell hasn't been signed yet.

Not to mention bringing in a 31 year old LB who hasn't played in more then 6 games in the last two years doesnt really make me think "Oh great he's going to help"

What's the over under of Mitchell blowing a knee the day (if) he signs?

Mitchell was a Super Bowl Hero......have a little respect

I told all you guys cutting David Tyree would cause a "Curse of the Tyree" that would cause us to go 80 years until our next trophy.............you all laughed

who's laughing now???? :ranting2:

as giants fans i don't think any of us are laughing.

Seriously Jones is gone do a Great job, just watch. If I know anything about anything it's football and weed. jones

Is a gamer.

Kid was a flat out tackling machine at Michigan. He is a little undersized but he has balls of steel and great instincts.

The Giants need to really evaluate their practices and training protocols.

Seriously, what the fuck?????

Welcome back, Dillard.

Jesus...Holy...Christ....do they treat practices and preseason games like its MMA in Giants Land?

This is a major loss. I was too deflated last night to even post. I was not a believer in Goff. Even last year, I thought he was merely an average linebacker. I started reading good things about him in practice reports this camp, though. I started seeing him in preseason games making plays in the backfield and even some plays downfield in pass coverage. He had said last year he was learning, and sometimes had to think about where he was supposed to be and his responsibilities in the defensive playcall. He said this year, he was just reacting... he didn't have to think and he came in ready to have a great season. When I watched Goff in the preseason games, breaking down the players' performance on defense, Goff made me sit up and go, "Whoa!" What I was seeing was a stud MLB. I was seeing a guy that was going to make this defense go to another level.

So we suffered another major loss. In the short term, this isn't going to be fixed by a rookie starting (no matter how much I like Jones), and it isn't going to be fixed by Kawika Mitchell, as much as I like him. Neither are going to be as good soon enough as Goff was going to be this year. All we can hope for is that Jones and whoever the veteran linebacker they bring in will be quick studies and not be overwhelmed or indecisive on the field. The state of the Giants is in disarray.

We cannot continue to take these kinds of serious injuries and have any reasonable expectation of making the playoffs. People here love to say, we're ok, we're still good. We've lost a starting corner, two other corners who were likely going to play the nickel, a rotational DT with big upside, the backup SAM, and now our starting MLB. Not to mention that we're probably not going to have Osi or Prince for at least the first month of the season. At what point do people say, we're not good, we're in trouble? Because we are on that path. You lose these key players this early, and you have to wonder how the rest of the players are going to make it through... As Fish said, what is this team going to look like by November?

Joe is right, too. It's time to go into preservation mode. They need to maintain what they have left. A QB wears a red jersey in practices so as not to be hit and risk injury. But everyone else out there are nailing each other. I'm not going to pretend to know the circumstances surrounding the Goff injury, but it's time to dial it down and save it for game days. You can practice and not hit people. You can practice in pads and not go full go. It's time to reduce the number of snaps in practice that are full contact, IMO, simply to preserve the health of the remaining players. These guys aren't going to forget how to finish a play on gameday... they've been hitting their entire life.

I'm really concerned about our ability to overcome this rash of injuries before Week 1. This is the worst Pre-Season I can ever recall. I had big expectations for this defense and this team this year and now all I am realistically expecting is a 9-7 type of season.

I certainly understand your pessimism Jim. But in my opinion we played 10 years with 10.5 men on the field with the slow as molasses Pierce at MLB

Maybe this kid steps in at some point in the season and becomes the next Clay Matthews.....its football and injuries happen

The last time I saw Mitchell play he was not only a good athlete, but was extremely smart and savvy

If he's healthy Im not too worried

I maybe getting my wish after all:

When Deon Grant returned for his first practice with the Giants in early August, one of the first things he noticed was a rookie linebacker who was yelling at his teammates and flying toward the ball. Grant reacted like any veteran would.

He asked a teammate "Who is this guy?"

The guy was Greg Jones, then just a sixth-rounder fighting to make the roster. Now, thanks to the season-ending injury to Jonathan Goff, he's the likely starter at middle linebacker on opening day.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/09/08/2011-09-08_giant_rookie_in_risky_spot.html#ixzz1XMkt3dsf