SportsWrath

NY Daily News: Plaxico Returning To Giants Makes No Sense

Mr. P

Plaxico Burress, according to his agent, is "in great spirits," he's "mentally and physically strong" and he's ready to return to the NFL. Several teams are, of course, said to be interested, and as everyone knows, Giants GM Jerry Reese hasn't publicly ruled out bringing him back.

Never mind that Buress is still in prison, or that he'll be 34 in August, or that he hasn't been on an NFL field in 2 1/2 years. Never mind that when the Daily News' Wayne Coffey caught up with him at the Oneida Correctional Facility in September, Burress said he was 16 pounds lighter and looked like he'd lost a lot more than that.

That perspective seems to be irrelevant when it comes to Burress, a tantalizingly tall, talented receiver and hero of Super Bowl XLII. Every time his agent speaks or Reese says he never rules any possibility out, excitement builds about the potential for Burress-Giants II.

Maybe someday it will actually happen. There are just some very good reasons why it shouldn't:

- If Burress is in, who's out?

He may be 6-5 with oodles of talent and a nice resume, and he may believe, as he told The News in September, that "I'm going to come back and play at a high level."

But his last NFL game was on Nov. 23, 2008, so he'll probably be a bit rusty. Do the Giants really want a rusty, 34-year-old on the field over 24-year-old Hakeem Nicks or 22-year-old Mario Manningham, who combined for 139 catches, 1,996 yards and 20 touchdowns last year? Then what happens if 25-year-old Steve Smith, the Giants' best receiver, makes it back from his knee injury?

Wouldn't Burress, likely far from Pro Bowl form, just be in their way?

- It's not the bullet, it's the baggage

Why would Tom Coughlin sign on for Plaxico II? It's not like Plaxico I was a joy ride for the rules-happy coach. Forget that Burress shot himself at a Manhattan nightclub (a hard incident to forget). By then, he had already drawn more than $100,000 in fines, and was suspended once for conduct detrimental to the team.

Coughlin is all about "Team". Burress was often anti-team. Players, including some who say for the record they'd welcome him back, remember him rarely showing up for meetings on time or at all. They didn't like the way he flouted team rules.

Sure, coaches can put up with a lot when a player has talent. But why do it for a 34-year-old coming off a three-year absence?

- He'd be warm, but not hot, in Miami

Someone familiar with Burress' thinking believes he prefers to avoid New York, to play in a warmer climate, and that his preference is to live near his offseason home in Miami. The person also says Burress knows he'd be better off far from the clutches of the New York media that remember every sordid detail of his Giants career. His past, were he to play elsewhere, is a short story. In New York, it would become a season-long theme.

That would be bad. During the aftermath of Burress' shooting, while the Giants were collapsing, his teammates swore the whole sordid mess wasn't a distraction, although they later admitted it was. They were asked about Burress every day by reporters, fans, family members and players around the league.

Nobody wants to relive that all season long.

So even if Burress is released on June 6 and is miraculously ready to play two months later, his second act shouldn't be with the Giants. Michael Vick may have authored a prison-to-Pro Bowl story, but does anyone think it would've been as smooth if he had returned to Atlanta instead?

Burress deserves a second chance too. It just needs to happen someplace else.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/02/19/2011-02-19_plaxico_burress_returning_to_the_giants_after_getting_out_of_prison_makes_no_sen.html

By the time we know that Steve Smith is good to go for 2011, it may very well be too late for Plax in a Giants jersey again. This article is so short-sighted it's almost comical to think that it's even legitimate. I have not been a Plax supporter in the past bot bottom line... a 6'5" receiver with proven skills is worth it for what he would likely command on an open market. Forget his age, he's good to go for the next 2 years minimum. This is a deal that makes a lot of sense, despite the ridiculous conclusiions of the writer of this article.

Plax is not far removed from this offense. I have written about the Giants for years now. I like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to actual football. Eli does in fact, miss the big, tall target in the redzone on the outside. This makes a lot of sense for that reason alone.... but it makes even more when you consider Steve Smith may not be a sure thing to play at the level he has in the past. Plax has paid his debt. It makes a ton of sense to bring him back in the fold, despite what this dumbass writer thinks.

By the time we know that Steve Smith is good to go for 2011, it may very well be too late for Plax in a Giants jersey again. This article is so short-sighted it's almost comical to think that it's even legitimate. I have not been a Plax supporter in the past bot bottom line... a 6'5" receiver with proven skills is worth it for what he would likely command on an open market. Forget his age, he's good to go for the next 2 years minimum. This is a deal that makes a lot of sense, despite the ridiculous conclusiions of the writer of this article.

Plax is not far removed from this offense. I have written about the Giants for years now. I like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to actual football. Eli does in fact, miss the big, tall target in the redzone on the outside. This makes a lot of sense for that reason alone.... but it makes even more when you consider Steve Smith may not be a sure thing to play at the level he has in the past. Plax has paid his debt. It makes a ton of sense to bring him back in the fold, despite what this dumbass writer thinks.

Couldnt've said it better myself:TU:

Well Barden hasn't set the field on fire. sooooo . If you have Plax, Nicks and Smith out there with Manningham and Hixon as 4 and 5 / and Hixon as KR. I feel it only bolsters our receiving corps. with 2 things to consider.

1. .How rusty is Plax , how long would it take him and Eli to get on the same page and how is he mentally now .

2 I really wouldn't want to stunt Manningham's growth he played up this year. I would hat to see him get Jabba'ed

ok 3 would Plax except a the #4 wr spot ... you know mentally ....... you never will know how this last 2 years behind bars has changed him.

Sad thing with Barden he has the potential but I don't see him growing any in his position.

rolleyes.gif

first, the dog would be hard pressed to say that this opinion is comical. but break it down this way:

pros - he knows the offense...in his prime he was a very good receiver...he can catch a fade pass...the giants QB is inconsistent and he proved he can catch high passes...in the event that steve smith isn't healthy, the giants need another receiver...

cons - he is aging and at 34, players are on the downside of their careers...he has been out of football for two years...he has been in prison for two years...prior to going to jail, he had been fined repeatedly, didn't show to meetings, had off the field issues...receiver is one of the positions the giants don't need unless smith is still injured starting the season...

in the dog's mind, the cons outweigh the pros. he may be able to come back and perform, but that is a question mark. he may be a changed man and come back as the ultimate team player, but that is questionable. he may be a positive role model for the younger receivers, but that is a big question mark. some team will pay him more than the giants need to in order to sign him in the dog' s opinion, because there are more desperate teams out there. better off looking to sign a free agent receiver that has actually proven they can catch a fade pass in the last two seasons if, and only if smith is hurt...otherwise, focus on the issues at hand - defense, solidifying o-line...etc...

Well Barden hasn't set the field on fire. sooooo . If you have Plax, Nicks and Smith out there with Manningham and Hixon as 4 and 5 / and Hixon as KR. I feel it only bolsters our receiving corps. with 2 things to consider.

1. .How rusty is Plax , how long would it take him and Eli to get on the same page and how is he mentally now .Sad thing with Barden he has the potential but I don't see him growing any in his position.

Sad thing with Barden he has the potential but I don't see him growing any in his position.

19 days.

2 I really wouldn't want to stunt Manningham's growth he played up this year. I would hat to see him get Jabba'ed

True but I'm thinking we have a very good team now.. this window of winning a championship is closing fast. And I don't think the effect on Manningham would be significant.

ok 3 would Plax except a the #4 wr spot ... you know mentally ....... you never will know how this last 2 years behind bars has changed him.

I don't think we have to frame as 1 2 or 3 spot.. different formations/situations command different set of players.

He's 34 and 2 1/2 years out of the game. No way he's "good to go".

I also think Eli's a better QB without him. Lobbing the ball up to Plax on the fade route was a crutch. Saying Eli misses him there would make more sense if his TD tally hadn't increased.

He's 34 and 2 1/2 years out of the game. No way he's "good to go".

I also think Eli's a better QB without him. Lobbing the ball up to Plax on the fade route was a crutch. Saying Eli misses him there would make more sense if his TD tally hadn't increased.

He also hasn't taken a pounding from football the last two years. Also, Terrell Owens put up over a thousand yards receiving with 10 TDs at 34. Also, he may be in good shape. Who's to say he wasn't lifting while in prison? He's not going to be in game shape, but say he comes back to the Giants and signs a contract, he has plenty of time to work out even before training camp, and then he still will have 5-6 weeks of camp plus exhibition season to get physically there prior to the theoretical kickoff of the 2011 season.

As far as Eli is concerned, Tree, I think Eli has developed as a passer because he took more leadership responsibility with the team and gained a lot of confidence, particularly since the end of 2007. But consider how good Eli AND the team was doing in 2008 prior to the gun mishap.

I think age is a concern here, but we're talking a 3 year deal max, and not all of those 3 years are going to be guaranteed. And again, I'll take a 34 year old with 2 1/2 years not getting hit over a 30 year old that is coming off a surgery, or has been taking big hits. Face it, he has plent of time to get in shape and reacclimate himself to the offense. And should he be a Giant again, you are talking a 6'5" redzone threat and matchup problem on one side, with Hakeem Nicks on the other, and Steve Smith and/or Manningham in the slot.

As Nas said, Burress' return would not mean that Manningham disappears from the offense. First, the Giants don't have Steve Smith even under contract for next year. Second, Smith had microfracture surgery in that knee. Regardless, Manningham will play a big role no matter what.

If you guys can find a better 6'5" wide receiver that will play for an incentive-heavy contract that is more than likely to largely favor the organization, please let us know. But for Ralph V to say that it's just a dumb idea is a total crock. The guys that a deal like this would help the most WOULD be Nicks, Smith, and Manningham.

He also hasn't taken a pounding from football the last two years. Also, Terrell Owens put up over a thousand yards receiving with 10 TDs at 34. Also, he may be in good shape. Who's to say he wasn't lifting while in prison? He's not going to be in game shape, but say he comes back to the Giants and signs a contract, he has plenty of time to work out even before training camp, and then he still will have 5-6 weeks of camp plus exhibition season to get physically there prior to the theoretical kickoff of the 2011 season.

What part of Plax's previous work ethic leads you to believe he would even attempt to pull that off?

What part of Plax's previous work ethic leads you to believe he would even attempt to pull that off?

Excellent point. But remember, if Reese makes him an offer, which is a big IF, the contract will assuredly be one that protects the organization. I hope that prison has changed him, that he has matured, and realizes all that he had and lost. But I can't say with great confidence that this is the case. If he uses Vick as the blueprint for coming back, he'll be just fine. But I highly doubt he's going to be completely out of shape when he's released from prison. He may only need the 5-6 weeks of camp to get there, Tree.

There are plenty of reasons why a reunion wouldn't work... but if Plax comes back hungry and with humility, and he really gets after it, then it could really work.

Don't get me wrong, Plax was a headcase in the past and I'm not saying that he would come back and everything would be sunshine and rainbows. In fact, I would rather the Giants take someone like Jonathan Baldwin in the draft than bring Plaxico back. My criticism is strictly reserved for Ralph V when he says, "It would make no sense at all." To me, how can someone make that statement given the on the field prowess Plaxico showed during his tenure as a Giant? And then considering Steve Smith might not even be back next year. As has been pointed out many times on this board, we don't even go to the SuperBowl in '07 without Plax absolutely destroying Al Harris, a Pro Bowl corner, in the NFCCG.

Maybe my comments led some to believe that I WANT him back. I'm not going to go that far. But I do think he COULD make us much, much better on offense if he has straightened himself out.

No matter where you fall on Plax coming back. I think our team will be better with him in uniform... You can never have "too many" good players at one position. Hey if we had room for Moss for what seems to be a fucking decade, we sure as hell have room for Plax.

Anyone read this part?

Someone familiar with Burress' thinking believes he prefers to avoid New York, to play in a warmer climate, and that his preference is to live near his offseason home in Miami. The person also says Burress knows he'd be better off far from the clutches of the New York media that remember every sordid detail of his Giants career. His past, were he to play elsewhere, is a short story. In New York, it would become a season-long theme.

is it too hard for you guys to fathom that a guy who spent 2 years tumbling thru the NY justice and penal system wants to get the hell away?

do you think when he thinks of NY, he thinks Manning lofts one... or he thinks, Get in that cell, boy confused.gif

Anyone read this part?

is it too hard for you guys to fathom that a guy who spent 2 years tumbling thru the NY justice and penal system wants to get the hell away?

do you think when he thinks of NY, he thinks Manning lofts one... or he thinks, Get in that cell, boy confused.gif

So basically, you've got him pencilled in as our #4?