SportsWrath

NY Daily News: Plaxico Returning To Giants Makes No Sense

Mr. P

No I don't ...... All I said he hasn't done munch so why hang on to him . In a round about way.

I don't know if I was addressing you specifically. but someone in that thread and others said that he hasn't lived up to his "potential"

and it was a shame because he showed so much "promise" Truth is he was/is a project at best. It would be more surprising if he ever cracks a starting lineup than if he doesn't.

I don't know if I was addressing you specifically. but someone in that thread and others said that he hasn't lived up to his "potential"

and it was a shame because he showed so much "promise" Truth is he was/is a project at best. It would be more surprising if he ever cracks a starting lineup than if he doesn't.

That's not really fair when he has 2 guys who are pro bowl caliber and one guy who could start on numerous NFL teams as our # 3 wide out.

He was a project though and he did have a few nice receptions in extremely limited time.

That's not really fair when he has 2 guys who are pro bowl caliber and one guy who could start on numerous NFL teams as our # 3 wide out.

He was a project though and he did have a few nice receptions in extremely limited time.

what's not fair?

I agree with the article.

There are too many good WRs on this team to add a gamble like Burress. Aside from the top three, you still have the potential of Barden and Cruz: Barden's problem isn't his wide receiving skills, it's his lack of special teams ability; so he rarely dresses. Unfortunately, when he did get the chance, he wound up on IR. We still don't know what we have in him.

Blu makes a great point; why would Burress want to stay here anyway?

And I still remember him and Shockey flapping their arms like birds every time they didn't catch a pass, or Burress just giving up on a pass. Manning gets enough ints without that crap.

He did have a great 2007 season, followed it up with a partial 2008 season that was mediocre, and now is 3 years removed from his last really good season. What makes anyone think this guy is going to come back and play at a pro-bowl level? Because Terrel Owens does at the same age? TO is an asshole to be sure, but he's also a HOF talent, and has been consistently over his career. At no point in his career was Burress the player Owens was.

But he was an Eagle killer--I'll give him credit for that. And while he was here, he was our best receiver--just not anymore.

I agree with the article.

There are too many good WRs on this team to add a gamble like Burress. Aside from the top three, you still have the potential of Barden and Cruz: Barden's problem isn't his wide receiving skills, it's his lack of special teams ability; so he rarely dresses. Unfortunately, when he did get the chance, he wound up on IR. We still don't know what we have in him.

Blu makes a great point; why would Burress want to stay here anyway?

And I still remember him and Shockey flapping their arms like birds every time they didn't catch a pass, or Burress just giving up on a pass. Manning gets enough ints without that crap.

He did have a great 2007 season, followed it up with a partial 2008 season that was mediocre, and now is 3 years removed from his last really good season. What makes anyone think this guy is going to come back and play at a pro-bowl level? Because Terrel Owens does at the same age? TO is an asshole to be sure, but he's also a HOF talent, and has been consistently over his career. At no point in his career was Burress the player Owens was.

But he was an Eagle killer--I'll give him credit for that. And while he was here, he was our best receiver--just not anymore.

The Giants had plenty of players that took time to develop, too. Strahan took five years to start becoming a force, and so did Toomer. It's not like Barden has sucked ass or has a shit work ethic... he might just need a little more time.

I just think Plaxico deserves another chance.. and his upside outweighs potential negatives.

He does deserve a chance...with the Raiders. He got screwed royally. His crime was carrying an unregistered concealed weapon, and I think, reckless endangerment. Crimes? Yes. Worthy of the maximum punishment? No. Not when the police let 'ordinary' people slide because if they prosecuted every case like that they could fill the entire borough of Brooklyn with offenders.

He does deserve a chance...with the Raiders. He got screwed royally. His crime was carrying an unregistered concealed weapon, and I think, reckless endangerment. Crimes? Yes. Worthy of the maximum punishment? No. Not when the police let 'ordinary' people slide because if they prosecuted every case like that they could fill the entire borough of Brooklyn with offenders.

Yea I know.. it's not a New York thing. We have an extremely leftist mayor who's out to prove a point. I don't agree with that but I can see where he wanted to make an example out of Plax.. I don't like it one bit.

Yea I know.. it's not a New York thing. We have an extremely leftist mayor who's out to prove a point. I don't agree with that but I can see where he wanted to make an example out of Plax.. I don't like it one bit.

I would be very interested in finding out if some other idiot has accidentally shot himself with an unregistered gun, and just what happened to him legally.

Fish,

You know I love ya but we don't have a top three on the team, really (at least not one that includes Smith). He's not under contract for next year, I think people keep forgetting that. And if he does sign, he still had microfracture surgery on that knee... so there's a better than even chance he won't be the player we're accustomed to in 2011, minimum.

Barden, as blu said, is STILL a project.... he could be something, or he could get cut next camp. Cruz is a preseason star, but really, you can't have real confidence in big games in the NFL until he proves himself in a real game.

Right now all we can count on at WR for 2011 to be anything for us is Nicks and Manningham, THAT'S IT. And Nicks is still somewhat of a question mark because of his thigh injury, meaning he's missed games to leg injuries both years he's been in the league. Out of anyone, I love his talent the most, I just hope he can put it together for 16 games + playoffs. He'll have a monster year.

A guy nobody really talks about is Devin Thomas, a former first second rounder for the 'Skins that didn't pan out for him. But I remember him making a really good catch in the reg season and he was a standout on specials. *EDIT* His stats say that he didn't make any catches. But I swear he made some catch that made me sit up and go, "whoa". It probably got called back b/c of penalty. He is a guy I hope that gets another shot with us. I could see him making the team over Barden and Cruz next year for sure. As an aside, he is 6'2", so he does have some of the size I covet in a WR, although not Julio Jones or Jonathan Baldwin size. /EDIT

Fish,

You know I love ya but we don't have a top three on the team, really (at least not one that includes Smith). He's not under contract for next year, I think people keep forgetting that. And if he does sign, he still had microfracture surgery on that knee... so there's a better than even chance he won't be the player we're accustomed to in 2011, minimum.

Barden, as blu said, is STILL a project.... he could be something, or he could get cut next camp. Cruz is a preseason star, but really, you can't have real confidence in big games in the NFL until he proves himself in a real game.

Right now all we can count on at WR for 2011 to be anything for us is Nicks and Manningham, THAT'S IT. And Nicks is still somewhat of a question mark because of his thigh injury, meaning he's missed games to leg injuries both years he's been in the league. Out of anyone, I love his talent the most, I just hope he can put it together for 16 games + playoffs. He'll have a monster year.

A guy nobody really talks about is Devin Thomas, a former first second rounder for the 'Skins that didn't pan out for him. But I remember him making a really good catch in the reg season and he was a standout on specials. *EDIT* His stats say that he didn't make any catches. But I swear he made some catch that made me sit up and go, "whoa". It probably got called back b/c of penalty. He is a guy I hope that gets another shot with us. I could see him making the team over Barden and Cruz next year for sure. As an aside, he is 6'2", so he does have some of the size I covet in a WR, although not Julio Jones or Jonathan Baldwin size. /EDIT

Jim, Reese has his faults (not particularly great with FA, can't draft a LB with a gun to his head), but he's not stupid. He watched the same games we did, and saw how we did without Smith. I believe he'll be signed; and I think he'll be effective following the 2011 season (maybe not so much this coming one).

I'm not expecting Barden to suddenly crack the starting lineup. It would be great if he did considering what he would have to beat out, but what we really need him for is a 4th option to give us height in certain situations, just as you say. Cruz fascinated me last pre-season because of some of the catches he made, and considering he was a rookie that got IR'd before the season started, we can't really fault him for not playing in a regular season game. But you have to admit, he did show a lot more than Duke Calhoun did.

which is exactly why they had to do what they did. fair or unfair, the law he broke comes with a penalty range. you can't prosecute everyone to that degree as you stated, but if you have the opportunity to set an example with a high profile case, the dog has no issue with that. will it stop a problem entirely, absolutely not. but if it succeeded in 10 people in his situation leaving their unregistered weapons at home, then the dog will take that as a minor win...the fact is, he broke the law. if you are going to do something illegal, then you have to know what the potential consequence is and deal with the risk involved. if the dog was arrested for drunk driving, even if the dog caught a break and got a slap on the wrist, the dog would be fired because of the line of work the dog is in...others won't always be...knowing the consequence, the dog chooses not to take the risk.

he absolutely deserves another chance, no question. but this notion that his punishment was unfair is unfounded. the penalty is written in law. he deserved the consequence he got because of that...to the dog's mind, use him a criminal as an example, because the last thing the dog wants is to get shot because some fool was carrying a gun around in his sweatpants and it discharged accidentally...

which is exactly why they had to do what they did. fair or unfair, the law he broke comes with a penalty range. you can't prosecute everyone to that degree as you stated, but if you have the opportunity to set an example with a high profile case, the dog has no issue with that. will it stop a problem entirely, absolutely not. but if it succeeded in 10 people in his situation leaving their unregistered weapons at home, then the dog will take that as a minor win...the fact is, he broke the law. if you are going to do something illegal, then you have to know what the potential consequence is and deal with the risk involved. if the dog was arrested for drunk driving, even if the dog caught a break and got a slap on the wrist, the dog would be fired because of the line of work the dog is in...others won't always be...knowing the consequence, the dog chooses not to take the risk.

he absolutely deserves another chance, no question. but this notion that his punishment was unfair is unfounded. the penalty is written in law. he deserved the consequence he got because of that...to the dog's mind, use him a criminal as an example, because the last thing the dog wants is to get shot because some fool was carrying a gun around in his sweatpants and it discharged accidentally...

All valid points. I'm not denying he broke the law, nor do I condone what he did. I don't think he should have gotten off scott free either. I do feel, however, that he was punished unfairly. If there is a range of punishment, say 40 hours community service to 2 years in prison, sentencing Plax to the maximum for a first offense is pretty harsh for a relatively harmless crime, regardless of the potential danger that crime may cause. They punish the actual crime committed, not what could have happened. Should he have gotten only the minimum? No. They want to make an example of him, I get it. All I know is, if some 76 year old grandmother in the South Bronx kept an illegal hand gun for protection, and accidentally shot herself in the foot, she wouldn't see a day behind bars.