SportsWrath

Memories....

BIGBLUE01

lol, i'm on medication. i'll tear you a new one soon enough.

so you are conceding that the 49ers said it, but they really didn't mean it. hmmm ok. there's a radio station out here that happens to be the 9ers station. ronnie lott is a regular guest on fridays during football season. anytime a question gets asked about who was the toughest, who hit the hardest, bls bla bla- he inevitably brings up the giants. never hear him talking about the mighty redskins or even the rams who they played 2x a year.

stop being a hater. your jealousy is tainting another thread. i guess that was your intention.

Exactly....so forget about him....negative attention is still attention. :smartass:

the dog is sure they did during the '86 season. and even though they lost to the giants in '85, the dog is quite sure if given the choice, they probably prefered to play the giants over the dominating 15-1 bears. outside of that, they beat the giants in the two other playoff games they had in the 80's with them. the only other loss came the second time the giants won the superbowl, and they have beaten them twice since. that is all the dog is saying...and for tcbvp - this isn't trolling, this is all factual, something that may be foreign to your line of thinking...

To the casual observer, I can see why the Dog would think this way.

However, if he actually WATCHED the Giants/Niners series, I think his opinion may be somewhat different. Montana (while still great) was a different player against the Giants after Jim Burt's vicious hit on him in the '87 season. From that point on, "Joe Cool," would pull quite a bit of "Peyton-ing" and roll up into a ball when the likes of Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, and Erik Howard would bear down on him. He would still post great games, he was just a little more... apprehensive... then he had been in the past. Leonard Marshall proved him right when Montana was once again crushed by a Giants D-lineman en route to their second Super Bowl victory.

If the Dog needs more proof... he should take a look at the Niners/L.A. Rams game from 1987. A loss from the 13-2 Niners would have kept the Giants out of the playoffs... even the Niners' BACKUPS completely laid down and took a dive against the pitiful Rams to keep the Giants outta the strike-shortened postseason. They weren't interested in winning... they were interested in making sure they didn't have to face Big Blue in the postseason again.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/5/27/886729/bill-walsh-bill-parcells-and-the

Strangely enough, it was Lawrence Taylor who greatly rewrote the history of the offensive line. Before him, it wasn't uncommon for the left tackle to be much smaller. Consider the injury factor - 1,532 broken bones were suffered by QBs from 1980 - 2001, 77.4% of them during games. That's a lot of injuries, and in every case one or more offensive linemen failed to maintain their control of the pass rusher. You have to protect your investment. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. In the book, The Blind Side, by Michael Lewis, it was a tumultuous meeting between two giants of the football world that formed a gateway to the modern understanding of the left tackle position, and it took a left guard to make it possible.

Accoding to the book, Bill Parcells had a personal belief that would change the course of football. He believed in defense, with all of his heart and soul. "I'm a little Neanderthal", he once declared. "I think that defense is the key to any sport. That's what I wanted to coach. Not football. Defense!" He was proud of it, and for a long time, Lawrence Taylor was his proudest possession. He would set him loose on Sundays and watch him attempt to hammer opposing quarterbacks into the gridiron turf with ruthless efficiency and almost religious fervor. LT was frighteningly good at what he did, and what he did was to rush the passer.

For Bill Walsh, the perspective of Parcells' failed to excite him. Walsh felt that the most important position in the game was the head coach. It was the strategy of the offense that was the reason that he loved to coach the game. "There's just so much to offense that a coach really does have control of," he once said. "Defense is just a matter of having the personnel." These two coaches and these two philosophies would collide head to head during the 1981 season. On January 3, 1982, they met in the playoffs; Parcells' NY Giants against the San Francisco 49ers of Bill Walsh, and the decimating explosion that was Lawrence Taylor against the offensive brilliance of Joe Montana.

But years later, in 1982, it was the need to protect his fungible quarterbacks, specifically against Bill Parcells and his semi-guided missile in Lawrence Taylor that drove Bill Walsh to redefine the position of the left tackle. In 1981 the 49ers had a left tackle by the name of Ron Singleton, who felt strongly that with his skills he should be considered a marquee player. Walsh, of course, didn't believe in marquee players. Singleton decided that he wanted his contract renegotiated, hired an agent and was said to be demanding a large sum of money. When Walsh refused, Singleton told the media that Walsh was mistreating him and disrespecting him because he was black. Offended, Walsh snapped.

According to the story, as told by Michael Lewis, Walsh really did have a staff member clean out Singleton's locker, put his belongings in a box and drove it over to Ron's house where the box was left by his front door. That ended Singleton's time with the 49ers, but it left Walsh with a singular hole at the left tackle position. Unfortunately for him, Walsh's remaining option was a 2nd string LT named Dan Aurick who only weighed about 250 pounds. If he was going to protect Joe Montana's blind side, he needed to come up with a solution fast, and that solution wouldn't be his own left tackle.

It's pretty clear to me that the Giants were the biggest opposition to the 49ers, and Walsh's biggest concern was to keep the Giants defenders from getting to Joe Montana.

When the Giants won their first two Super Bowls, they had to get past (arguably) the greatest QB of all time. And following their loss in 1982, Parcells understood the best way to disrupt the beautiful passing attack of the 49ers was to kill Joe Montana.

And that's what happened....not once, but twice. First Jim Burt, and then Leonard Marshall.

In fact, that was a hallmark of Bill Parcells, and one of the reasons why Giants fans hate the read and react stuff so much.

Parcells understood that a QB that was not hit early and often could eventually beat you. That's why a 15 yard penalty for a late hit on a QB is sometimes required.

It was a lesson that Spags obviously understood against Tom Brady.

lol, i'm on medication. i'll tear you a new one soon enough.

so you are conceding that the 49ers said it, but they really didn't mean it. hmmm ok. there's a radio station out here that happens to be the 9ers station. ronnie lott is a regular guest on fridays during football season. anytime a question gets asked about who was the toughest, who hit the hardest, bls bla bla- he inevitably brings up the giants. never hear him talking about the mighty redskins or even the rams who they played 2x a year.

stop being a hater. your jealousy is tainting another thread. i guess that was your intention.

maybe they said it, maybe not. but if they did, it is hard to imagine that because the giants had a couple of good seasons in the 80's, that the 49ers feared them over any other team, or that they were the consistent strong team of the 80's as you put it...please take some meds, the dog is starting to feel embarrassed for you. stick to stepping in on tcbvp and bigblue's defense, that seems more your speed.

maybe they said it, maybe not. but if they did, it is hard to imagine that because the giants had a couple of good seasons in the 80's, that the 49ers feared them over any other team, or that they were the consistent strong team of the 80's as you put it...please take some meds, the dog is starting to feel embarrassed for you. stick to stepping in on tcbvp and bigblue's defense, that seems more your speed.

don't cry for me, lonely guy. thanks for the concern though.

A couple good seasons? :doh:

A couple good seasons? :doh:

yes. 6 winning seasons over 10 years, two of which were 9-7 records. 5 trips to the playoffs (3 as a wildcard team), with a 6-4 record in total, 3 wins coming in the one season when they won the super bowl (reducing their playoff record in the 80's beyond that season to 3-4). an 81-70-1 total record in the 80's. they were not a dominant team of the 80's is all the do is saying. a couple of good seasons. a couple of average seasons. a couple of very bad seasons. that is the 80's giants.

yes. 6 winning seasons over 10 years, two of which were 9-7 records. 5 trips to the playoffs (3 as a wildcard team), with a 6-4 record in total, 3 wins coming in the one season when they won the super bowl (reducing their playoff record in the 80's beyond that season to 3-4). an 81-70-1 total record in the 80's. they were not a dominant team of the 80's is all the do is saying. a couple of good seasons. a couple of average seasons. a couple of very bad seasons. that is the 80's giants.

Do you know so much about the Giants because you like to google? Or because you just want to prove us wrong? Or what? It must get pretty boring and lonely in your moms basement. You must live to be a confrontational prick.

Do you know so much about the Giants because you like to google? Or because you just want to prove us wrong? Or what? It must get pretty boring and lonely in your moms basement. You must live to be a confrontational prick.

the dog would take a parent's basement to a jail cell...just saying...

The Giants were pretty crappy coming out of the '70s. But I'd take the Giants from '85-'90 over any team from that stretch, save maybe the 49ers.

Not that I want to waste my time arguing semantics with a basement-dweller, but it should be self-evident that when you win a Super Bowl you didn't just have a "good" season. Duh.

now who's boring? rolleyes.gif

the argument was who did the 49ers fear the most. the answer remains the NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS, MUTHAFUCKA!

concussions and broken ribs don't show up on the stat sheets, idiot.

The Dog shouldn't forget that in that time span, the Giants were playing in inarguably the toughest division in football. The Landry Cowboys, Buddy Ryan Eagles, and Gibbs Redskins were ALL very competitive and successful in that time frame... where the 49ers were facing the likes of the sometimes-competitive Rams, the hapless Saints, and the "how-the-fuck-are-they-in-the-NFC-West" Atlanta Falcons. The Niners compiled an awesome record every season beating up on tomato cans.

its become painfully clear that the dog needs to...

2j6a3hg.jpg

it is also painfully clear that you need some new material...unless appealing to the court jester's sense of humor is enough for you...

now who's boring? rolleyes.gif

the argument was who did the 49ers fear the most. the answer remains the NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS, MUTHAFUCKA!

concussions and broken ribs don't show up on the stat sheets, idiot.

this response was to someone else's weak point...the dog suggests drinking your nyquil and coming back when you are back at your mediocre level of functioning...

The Giants were pretty crappy coming out of the '70s. But I'd take the Giants from '85-'90 over any team from that stretch, save maybe the 49ers.

Not that I want to waste my time arguing semantics with a basement-dweller, but it should be self-evident that when you win a Super Bowl you didn't just have a "good" season. Duh.

ok...one very good season, a few decent seasons, and a number of bad seasons...dog hopes this better sums up the giants of the 80's for you. still not a juggernaut or as blunatic put it, equal to the 49ers as the two teams that were most consistently the strongest in the league during that decade (or something to that effect)...nevermind both the reaiders and redskins won two super bowls during the 80's...etc...

ok...one very good season, a few decent seasons, and a number of bad seasons...dog hopes this better sums up the giants of the 80's for you. still not a juggernaut or as blunatic put it, equal to the 49ers as the two teams that were most consistently the strongest in the league during that decade (or something to that effect)...nevermind both the reaiders and redskins won two super bowls during the 80's...etc...

I'm beginning to worry whether the Dog will be ready for the start of the season.....it seems like the back is still a bit tender....The Dog can run, but I wonder about his cutting ability.