SportsWrath

DT John Henderson

Mr. P

I would take Henderson and throw him in the rotation. He's not what he was, but he's still got something, and he's better than Bernard. If the price is right I wouldn't mind him.

Also, he just might be certifiably insane. :laugh:

i want him on the team just so that will happen in the locker room.

no bullshit id be ready to go if he was doin that shit actin all crazy.

and its gotta be pretty awkard and a little scary being Joe.

i want him on the team just so that will happen in the locker room.

no bullshit id be ready to go if he was doin that shit actin all crazy.

and its gotta be pretty awkard and a little scary being Joe.

Word, I feel like fucking someone up every time I watch one of his pre-game vids, lol. And I agree, I would not want to be Joe hahaha.

Seriously though, fuck Rocky Bernard....he sucks and is worthless, and should be cut. Bring in the proven vet who TC drafted, Jerry. I would love to have Henderson in our DL rotation...he's not an every down player anymore, but he doesn't have to be IMO.

Word, I feel like fucking someone up every time I watch one of his pre-game vids, lol. And I agree, I would not want to be Joe hahaha.

Seriously though, fuck Rocky Bernard....he sucks and is worthless, and should be cut. Bring in the proven vet who TC drafted, Jerry. I would love to have Henderson in our DL rotation...he's not an every down player anymore, but he doesn't have to be IMO.

:clap:

I said it from the very begining...Rocky Benard was a waste of space when we first signed him. I would cut Rocky and sign Henderson in a heart beat. Maybe Henderson can teach these boys how to play with some anger.

This guy is a beast, I used to say the combo of Stroud and Henderson was the best DT combo in football when they both played in Jacksonville. See unlike that fat fuck slob of a player in Haynesworth, Stroud and Henderson are two large DTs who know how to play the game and most importantly could stay on the field longer then one or two plays a series.

I really hope the Giants sign Henderson

The front office don't seem that enamoured with Cofield and Linval Joseph is raw.

Whilst Henderson is not the player he used to be, he is still a very good run stuffer.

I would really like to see a rotation of Henderson and Joseph at NT, providing that anchor role.

I also think Henderson could be a very good mentor to Linval Joseph.

let's not forget it was Coughlin who originally drafted him

Cofield is likely available for trade, but if there is no takers or value he will likely stick for a year.

A rotation of Canty , Cofield and Alford at the 3 technique spot would also be very useful. The competition and depth will help bring out the best, in whoever hits the field. It also gives us important depth considering Canty, Cofield and Alford have had problems with injuries.

What is with this sudden idea that Cofield has somehow fallen out of favor with the front office? Why, because we drafted a tackle to replace Freddy Robbins and have Canty on the roster? Cmon. You have no idea how the front office feels about Cofield. He's the incumbent starter (and will be the starter when the season starts) and the DT pick in the draft and John Henderson interest has got to do much more with having question marks at the other DT position.

I really hope the Giants sign Henderson

The front office don't seem that enamoured with Cofield and Linval Joseph is raw.

Whilst Henderson is not the player he used to be, he is still a very good run stuffer.

I would really like to see a rotation of Henderson and Joseph at NT, providing that anchor role.

I also think Henderson could be a very good mentor to Linval Joseph.

let's not forget it was Coughlin who originally drafted him

Cofield is likely available for trade, but if there is no takers or value he will likely stick for a year.

A rotation of Canty , Cofield and Alford at the 3 technique spot would also be very useful. The competition and depth will help bring out the best, in whoever hits the field. It also gives us important depth considering Canty, Cofield and Alford have had problems with injuries.

What's the 3 technique? And what other techniques are there?

Educate me for two reasons.. one I wanna know.. and two I want to lecture my friends on football.. say like... I'm trying to be BigPete... in downtown Brooklyn :)

What is with this sudden idea that Cofield has somehow fallen out of favor with the front office? Why, because we drafted a tackle to replace Freddy Robbins and have Canty on the roster? Cmon. You have no idea how the front office feels about Cofield. He's the incumbent starter (and will be the starter when the season starts) and the DT pick in the draft and John Henderson interest has got to do much more with having question marks at the other DT position.

You're absolutely right, Storm. If anything I think the Giants are looking to drop Bernard... Cofield is solid and a fan favorite... at least I think so.

You're absolutely right, Storm. If anything I think the Giants are looking to drop Bernard... Cofield is solid and a fan favorite... at least I think so.

Me too, him and Robbins were two of the best DTs we've had in years, and people want to replace Cofield?? For a 4th round pick, I'm gathering? :rules:

Granted, I'm sure the injury concerns are another reason we're looking at Henderson, too, but I don't see any reason to pull Cofield from the starting lineup, and haven't read about any front office criticisms of him.....

Perhaps the idea that Cofield has fallen out with the front office is because of the fact that he was almost traded on draft day to the Saints for a day 2 or 3 draft pick.

The only reason it fell through was because the Saints couldn't get a reasonable contract extension with Cofield done.

The Giants aren't going to give him away, but he is certainly available at the right price. To think that Cofield remains in the Giants long term plans is a little short sighted in my opinion

What's the 3 technique? And what other techniques are there?

Educate me for two reasons.. one I wanna know.. and two I want to lecture my friends on football.. say like... I'm trying to be BigPete... in downtown Brooklyn :)

Hopefully this clears it up somewhat

3-technique DT

A 3-technique tackle lines up between the offensive guard and tackle (. A 3-technique tackle is supposed to run through his gap immediately. He is a 1-gap player. His job is not to block or get tied up in a block, but rather to be athletic and get himself into the offensive backfield and disrupt their plans. Because of this a 3-technique tackle is a lighter more athletic guy than a nose tackle, typically weighing more like 290 to 300 pounds.

In a one gap scheme, the defensive tackle is supposed to tackle the running back if he comes in the tackle's gap. On a passing play, the tackle is supposed to get into the quarterback's area and screw up the play, possibly tackling the quarterback for a sack. So you expect tackles in a one gap scheme to tackle the runner and sack the quarterback more often.

If you want to be especially good at rushing the passer you'll find four relatively athletic, perhaps somewhat smaller defensive linemen and line them up in a 1 gap scheme. Now you will have at least three gaps unprotected, so it's important in this scheme that you have three very solid linebackers who can cover these gaps.

Nose Tackles (also known as 1 technique)

Nose tackles are two-gap players, and are typically very big and very strong men, usually 350 pounds or more and 6'5" or taller. These guys have the responsibility of clogging up the entire center of the field, of keeping the center and at least one guard busy, and thereby protecting their middle linebacker. The nose tackle will also be responsible in passing plays to push the center back towards the quarterback so that the quarterback cannot step up in the pocket and evade the rush of the defensive ends. A good nose tackle can be hit simultaneously by 650 pounds of center and guard and will not budge as much as one inch.

In a two gap scheme, the tackles are supposed to control the linemen, thus making sure that no one is blocking the linebackers behind them and the linebackers are then free to make the play and tackle the runner. So in a two gap scheme, you don't expect the defensive tackles to have a large number of sacks or tackles. They are doing their job if the linebackers have a lot of sacks and tackles.

from http://football.calsci.com/Positions8.html

It is interesting the different style of MLBs needed with each style. With a big anchor at DT, we can use a smaller more mobile kind of MLB.

a Good example from a little while ago are when the Bucs had McFarland and Sapp at DT. Sapp played the 3-technique, whilst McFarland played NT.

As far as other techniques, there is the 4 technique which is like the 3 technique, but lined up on the OTs shoulder rather than the OGs shoulder. There is also the 5 technique which is used by many 3-4 DE systems.

Perhaps the idea that Cofield has fallen out with the front office is because of the fact that he was almost traded on draft day to the Saints for a day 2 or 3 draft pick.

The only reason it fell through was because the Saints couldn't get a reasonable contract extension with Cofield done.

The Giants aren't going to give him away, but he is certainly available at the right price. To think that Cofield remains in the Giants long term plans is a little short sighted in my opinion

That'd be a big "bend over and grab your ankles" trade. A proven starter for a second day pick. First of all, I don't really buy that those were the terms of the deal. Second of all, that's a retarded trade.

That'd be a big "bend over and grab your ankles" trade. A proven starter for a second day pick. First of all, I don't really buy that those were the terms of the deal. Second of all, that's a retarded trade.

It depends on who the front office had in mind to draft for that pick.

I am no expert and the front office obviously had a plan of some kind. I suspect the majpor reason Cofield may be on the trade block is that it is very clear they want that big 2 gap DT up front to anchor the defense. That isn't a great fit for Cofield and Canty/Alford have much better ability as a 3 technique DT.

I could still see Cofield traded, perhaps for a MLB such as D'Qwell Jackon, Derrick Johnson or AJ Hawk. I think he is a better fit as a 3-4 DE.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is very possible Cofield could stick around; but I expect he is a better fit as a 3-technique DT rather than a NT for Fewell's system.

But Henderson would be a great pickup and really fits what we want to do. It would very likely mean Bernard is gone.

It would mean our possible depth chart would be something like:

LDE: Tuck, Pierre-Paul

UT: Canty, Alford, Cofield

NT: Henderson, Joseph

RDE: Umenyiora, Kiwanuka

I could see us keeping 9 DL going into the season.