SportsWrath

Now that the 2010 draft is in the book..

Nas

With a lot of you acting like it's the GMB (but understandably so).. now that the draft is over and we really didn't address our MLB situation.. what comes next?

For those of you who know situations of other teams what's the chances of the Giants trading for proven MLB and what team may we possibly trade with? I mean.. do we really go into the season with what we have?

I'm guessing the front office feels much more confident in our current linebackers than I do.

I don't think they are, Joe. It's just this draft had no good linebackers outside of McClain... I have to believe the Giants are looking to someone.. the same they landed Kawika Mitchell a few years ago.

Kiwi for D'Qwell Jackson? Look we took JPP with the 15th pick, he has to see more then 15 snaps a game this year so in order to do that, I think Kiwi could be gone.The Bills took Aaron Maybin when Fewell was there with their 11th pick last year and he seen 14 snaps a game, this has the same feel written all over it, and Maybin was also a one year wonder, who looked good with his shirt off, with the 15th pick that would be piss me off, considering we had glaring holes and btw with all this bitching about MLB, anybody notice we still have Tiny Tim and two injury riddled backups at RB.

With a lot of you acting like it's the GMB (but understandably so).. now that the draft is over and we really didn't address our MLB situation.. what comes next?

For those of you who know situations of other teams what's the chances of the Giants trading for proven MLB and what team may we possibly trade with? I mean.. do we really go into the season with what we have?

From what some articles have said the Giants are putting alot into the current LBs and the guy we drafted in the fourth.

From what some articles have said the Giants are putting alot into the current LBs and the guy we drafted in the fourth.

It just doesn't make sense though. Let's face it.. none of the LBs on the roster is worthy... and to put it all on the rookie is a bit foolish for a team that's supposed to get back to prominence. Something tells me some trade is in the works.. Osi.. Kiwi.. whoever.

It just doesn't make sense though. Let's face it.. none of the LBs on the roster is worthy... and to put it all on the rookie is a bit foolish for a team that's supposed to get back to prominence. Something tells me some trade is in the works.. Osi.. Kiwi.. whoever.

This is the thing though, obviously somewhere along the line from the coaching to Reese and Co, someone must of said "we can work with these LBs" For all we know Fewell sat down with Reese and said "Fuck the LBs in the draft, I like the guys we have here, get me a D-line"

All I'm saying is if we didnt focus on the LB position in the draft then obviously there is a reason for it and my guess is, it's Fewell saying he can work with the LBs we have.

Morrison is gone, for a 4th and 5th no less <_< , and Wilk is now rocking Pierce's old number so read between the lines. There will be no other LBs traded for and the rookie Dillard and Goff/Wilk/Blackburn will start this year. It is what it is.

Morrison is gone, for a 4th and 5th no less dry.gif , and Wilk is now rocking Pierce's old number so read between the lines. There will be no other LBs traded for and the rookie Dillard and Goff/Wilk/Blackburn will start this year. It is what it is.

I didn't want Morrison, he had alot of tackles but most of them came 20 yards downfield on the guy he was covering, not a good fit for our current scheme. Andra Davis and Karlos Dansby are 3-4 guys that are too slow too play in the Tampa 2, I honestly thought the same about McClain, Weatherspoon was an option, they probably thought he might not translate to MLB, Dilliard honestly was the best option in this draft for the Tampa 2, and we got him in the fourth. Sintim will start at the SAM and Boley at the WILL, there wasn't much out there for a MLB in the Tampa 2, we could still get someone like D'Qwell Jackson if Cleveland is willing to part, which rumors are they could, we could definently trade Kiwi for Jackson,Cleveland needs a 3-4 OLB which is were I think Kiwi fits best anyways.

At the risk of taking on a Jack Stroud like whineyness, I think our GM is mediocre. I wouldn't say "bad," but he's not leaving us with some real problems.

I found this draft to be concerning and when it comes to drafts like Dillard, I agree with what McShay said about it on M&M today, "career backup."

Who's the leader on our defense?

I didn't want Morrison, he had alot of tackles but most of them came 20 yards downfield on the guy he was covering, not a good fit for our current scheme. Andra Davis and Karlos Dansby are 3-4 guys that are too slow too play in the Tampa 2, I honestly thought the same about McClain, Weatherspoon was an option, they probably thought he might not translate to MLB, Dilliard honestly was the best option in this draft for the Tampa 2, and we got him in the fourth. Sintim will start at the SAM and Boley at the WILL, there wasn't much out there for a MLB in the Tampa 2, we could still get someone like D'Qwell Jackson if Cleveland is willing to part, which rumors are they could, we could definently trade Kiwi for Jackson,Cleveland needs a 3-4 OLB which is were I think Kiwi fits best anyways.

I agree with all of this.

A lot of us Giants' fans tend to think we need a superstar at every position...anything less is an utter and complete disastor and things get declared like, "this draft sucks", "here we go, a losing season", etc.

However, we do have a lot of superstars on the team...albeit, some were injured last year and that will throw even the best teams out of kilter.

Last year, the defensive line broke down with Osi playing at about 70%, Robbins went gimpy, Canty went down, etc. Then of course, we lost Philips...a rising star. Our defense suffered. Additionally, our offensive line was not as effective as it had been two years ago.

I trust the coaches when they say that the biggest thing wrong with our linebackers is that the defensive line was breaking down and getting pushed around. This forced linebackers to plug holes and then react - sometimes after it was too late, rather than focusing on the play at hand and reading it as it unfolded so they could nail the bastard with the ball. We have addressed the defensive line (and hopefully, Osi and Canty are back at full capacity) and our linebackers now have the opportunity to play their position rather than help fortify a leaky wall that kept breaking away.

I don't think we need a superstar MLB - just a rotation of quality guys who get to actually play the position the way it's supposed to be played. Goff is better than some people make him out to be and Dillard is a fast, hard hitting and aggressive young man who raised havoc on Nebraska's opposing teams. Give them a chance to prove they are up to the task. I believe they will be above average if the defensive line is dominate again. Which goes back to my original premise that we don't need 40 million dollar superstars at every position to be a damn good team. I've always liked the quiet, unsung heroes (like Robbins, Diehl, Boss, etc.) that just do their job, day in and day out....yet aren't flattered in the news every weekend. I think Goff and Dillard could fit that same bill.

in the past when Blackburn has stepped in to start he has done extremely well.

I'm sure coughlin knows this. they probably pulled him and put Goff in to see what goff could do (not much for a D that was packing for the off season).

Obviously the Giants felt the MLBer was not the problem......the real problem was the DLine according to Reese

There's rumblings outta Buffalo that Mitchell might be cut... and MAN, I'd love to have THAT guy back.

EDIT: He can also play the middle like he did in KC for five years.

id sign him to another 1 year contract, on the cheap. let him compete for that middle spot.

I'd give Mitchell a contract in a heartbeat....provided he's healthy and not too old. He was a huge part of our SB run

Coughlin and Reese won't do it........they would have to admit they made a mistake.

They won't

Dallas will pick him up, or the Skins :o(

I guess it was just wishful thinking that a LB would be drafted early. This team has needed a LB for many years and management is just apparently averse to this idea. I do like the mantra of you can never have too many pass rushers but at some point other parts of the D have to be addressed. I hope Dillard works out great and Reese is shown to be a genius but I am seriously having my doubts right now.

At the risk of taking on a Jack Stroud like whineyness, I think our GM is mediocre. I wouldn't say "bad," but he's not leaving us with some real problems.

I found this draft to be concerning and when it comes to drafts like Dillard, I agree with what McShay said about it on M&M today, "career backup."

Who's the leader on our defense?

I am starting to agree and the FA signings so far have been terrible. Why management refuses to sign a first round LB is puzzling since it's been the weak point of this D for a long time.

I think there are a couple of factors at work here

Firstly the Giants are reasonably comfortable the young veteran LBs already on the roster. Remember we don't know for sure how Fewell's system will work. A big anchor up front will be a huge factor, keeping blockers off our MLB, allowing them to flow to the play.

The Giants do want to upgrade MLB, but after McClain was gone, there was a huge drop off. Dillard was in the 2nd tier and he will be in the mix to start.

The Giants will look to bring in another MLB, but it will depend on who is available and at what price. It is very clear we aren't going to reach or over pay.

Someone like Bobby Carpenter may shake loose, or we could trade for a veteran such as AJ Hawk, Derrick Johnson or someone similar.

The long term MLB option may be in next year's draft class, which is pretty talented and has alot of depth; remember Reese likes to build through the draft.

These are the some of the better prospects next year (many of whom are better fits for our system than Rolando McClain):

• Greg Jones ILB Michigan State (6-1, 224, 4.59)
  • Quan Sturdivant ILB North Carolina (6-2, 232, 4.56)
  • Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU (6-3, 239, 4.64)
  • Mike Mohamed ILB California (6-3, 237, 4.75)
  • Don'ta Hightower ILB Alabama (6-4, 250, 4.74)*
  • Chris Galippo ILB Southern California (6-2, 250, 4.74)*
  • Korey Williams ILB Southern Mississippi (6-2, 234, 4.65)*

plus there are OLBs who could possibly move to the middle in Fewell's scheme

• Mark Herzlich OLB Boston College (6-4, 238, 4.68)
  • Travis Lewis OLB Oklahoma (6-2, 232, 4.53)*
  • Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA (6-4, 252, 4.68)*

*denotes underclassmen