SportsWrath

The Giants will make the playoffs

JMFP

Which leads into the point I was trying to make: that we're all a little too conscious of the talent difference between the top 10-15 prospects and the late 1st-to-2nd round guys. I don't buy this 'throw the season for better draft position nonsense', because draft position means a lot less than we usually think.

lol...really man, who said the Giants problems are 'SOLELY' because of mental errors? A lot of factors are in play here. But as a source of optimism, at least mental errors are correctable. And this team has had more than most.

I'd rather see them get embarrassed in the playoffs than not get there at all.

Really man? Who said the Giants should "throw the season for better draft position nonsense?" Because, I said I'd rather see one more loss so the notion of the playoffs is lost...meaning we go home where we deserve. By all means, play hard, maybe someone on the defense will prove they deserve to even receive pay. But, just one loss brings us such benefits as:

1. Bringing about much NEEDED changes.

2. We will be in a better position to draft the best player at a position we potentially desperately need picking mid-round.

No, you don't get my point because you read the first 2 sentences and stop.

Again, like I've said a couple times now, I want a loss so this silly notion of playoffs leaves everyone's minds. I don't feel like being dominated(last year) or skunked again(Carolina a couple years ago). If that means waiting an extra couple weeks before I get to see the Giants again next year, so be it.

The thought that any old .500 team (that's basically what we are) can make the playoffs and go on a run and get to the Super Bowl if they got "hot" is ludicrous. The 07 team was about twice as good as this one for the mere fact they had a defense. Teams get hot and make playoff runs because they're good and have improved all season not because they hung around long enough that their record is still close enough that the playoffs are in reach.

Our 07 secondary: Sam Madison, Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, RW McQuarters, Kevin Dockery, Michael Johnson, Gibril Wilson, James Butler.........that lineup STILL gives me more confidence than what we have back there now and McQuarters and Sam Madison are most likely retired! That year Webster and Gibril came into their own for us and dominated in the playoffs. No one will do that on the current team. They don't possess a single leader on defense.

Again back into the playoffs and get embarrassed or draft 10-15 spots sooner? I'll take the early draft pick because this team is awful.

I've read every word of your comments.

You'd rather lose, have the rest of the season be completely worthless, wait all offseason, and get a higher draft pick....maybe someone awesome like Heyward-Bey.

I'd rather make the playoffs this season and at least have a shot at something.

OK, anyone rooting for their team to lose in this situation is not a real fan in my book. That's tough for me to say because the poster(s) in question I know really is passionate about the team. But there's something about a "fan" rooting for their team to not make the playoffs that just pisses me off. There are three games left. If we win all three, we are 10-6 and we are not backing in... we deserve to be in the playoffs.

This team is capable of beating any team in the NFL. There is an element of luck in this game. So far, the Giants have come up on the short end of luck this year. They lost Kenny Phillips early, and played much of the season without Ross, Boley, or Canty. In the Philly game, luck worked against us a few times. A dropped pass here and there, a fumble return for a touchdown that could've been that wasn't, and we win that game. We played the Eagles close and I believe if we play them again we can beat them.

The Eagles, in my opinion, have a SuperBowl caliber team. They have flaws on defense, but their offense is extremely potent and that will keep them in any game. If I think we can beat the Eagles, you better believe I think we can beat the Saints or the Vikings, who I believe have the best all-around team in the NFC.

I am rooting for this bunch. Some people need to understand that a team is constantly in flux. They are either getting better or worse. As a team, I've seen the Giants get better the last couple of weeks. Even on defense. Part of the reason they looked so bad against Philadelphia was because Donovan and that offense is just that good. But Eli was even better, and that has to give you encouragement. Eli kept us in that game... we were down 14-0 and down by 13 going into halftime. Eli kept making plays right up to the end. And the defense, for all its flaws, has been very good to great against the run the last couple of games.

The Giants have some matchup problems at linebacker (not Boley) and at safety. They have a cornerback playing there that has only had a few games at the position. They have guys that have had only a few games back since being hurt all year. These guys still have time to make their mark on this season... they still have time to get better and stronger and make a difference on this defense.

I do not think we have seen the best out of Canty yet. Same for Osi. Kiwi is getting in there and he has done well. The coaches are making adjustments and I have confidence, that even though we all hate him now, Sheridan has Coughlin on his ass to get this defense to play better. If they can, and they have the personnel to do it, with the way Eli is playing, they can win in the playoffs. And we are just scratching the surface with Nicks... the guy is gaining confidence and nobody mentioned it, but he was putting the hurt on some pretty damn good corners on the Eagles... I know the 68 yard TD was against Asante Samuel.

I guess if you're off the bus, get off the bus. But don't be the turd in the punchbowl for the rest of us... we're still enjoying the party... and we still believe in this team. No matter what happens, this team can worry about getting better for next season after this season is said and done. There are never any guarantees in the NFL. I don't care what draft position the Giants are in come April. I care about beating the Redskins, getting to the playoffs, and I will be rooting my ass off for them when they get there... and they will get there.

You're the one "encouraged" by the complete lack of heart this team has shown when it's back is against the wall and they had a chance, Jim, but you're probably right, you're a better fan. The difference rationality and homerism, I guess.

You're the one "encouraged" by the complete lack of heart this team has shown when it's back is against the wall and they had a chance, Jim, but you're probably right, you're a better fan. The difference rationality and homerism, I guess.

It's not homerism. I'm completely rational. If you're playing, in the NFL, you always have a chance. You've given up on the team, that's you, man. This team has shown heart. They got beat by one score by a very good team. A game where our offense outplayed their offense. We needed to play a near perfect game and didn't. But this team in the last two weeks has played much, much better. And the defense has looked good against the run, anyway. Again, it's the NFL, we have a puncher's chance. We could luck out and get Arizona in the first round. I think we match up with them pretty good.

Then we'd likely go and face the Saints, a team that has struggled to put teams away. The Saints are NOT better than the Patriots of '07, btw. The Patriots had the highest scoring offense in history. They had the quarterback who had the best QB season in history. The Saints needed miracle after miracle to beat the Redskins. Their defense is not as good as they hype. They are beatable. Sure, we have not had a dominant season like the Saints. But great teams overcome adversity, and we have had adversity and we overcame it to beat the Cowboys when nobody gave us a chance. All the analysts predicted the Cowboys. And then we nearly beat the Eagles... They won because of the Jacobs fumble, the punt return, and us not able to secure that forward fumble. All correctable.

Rooting for draft position is so lame. It's really garbage. We probably got the best receiver in last year's draft anyway. We got a player who has made an impact this year and looks like a future Pro Bowler. Nobody else has gotten that, except maybe Percy Harvin for Minnesota or Kenny Britt in Tennessee. But I think we have the best one, and at a reasonable contract unlike Crabtree.

We are not a team that needs to build through the draft. We need a MLB pending the way Goff finishes the season... and I'd rather it not be a rookie anyway. We may need a SLB although I'd prefer to let Sintim take the reigns. We need a Safety, maybe two of them, and Safety is a position you can get top quality at late in the first round. We have no other real pressing needs. So this talk about draft position is ridiculous.

It's not homerism. I'm completely rational. If you're playing, in the NFL, you always have a chance. You've given up on the team, that's you, man. This team has shown heart. They got beat by one score by a very good team. A game where our offense outplayed their offense. We needed to play a near perfect game and didn't. But this team in the last two weeks has played much, much better. And the defense has looked good against the run, anyway. Again, it's the NFL, we have a puncher's chance. We could luck out and get Arizona in the first round. I think we match up with them pretty good.

Then we'd likely go and face the Saints, a team that has struggled to put teams away. The Saints are NOT better than the Patriots of '07, btw. The Patriots had the highest scoring offense in history. They had the quarterback who had the best QB season in history. The Saints needed miracle after miracle to beat the Redskins. Their defense is not as good as they hype. They are beatable. Sure, we have not had a dominant season like the Saints. But great teams overcome adversity, and we have had adversity and we overcame it to beat the Cowboys when nobody gave us a chance. All the analysts predicted the Cowboys. And then we nearly beat the Eagles... They won because of the Jacobs fumble, the punt return, and us not able to secure that forward fumble. All correctable.

Rooting for draft position is so lame. It's really garbage. We probably got the best receiver in last year's draft anyway. We got a player who has made an impact this year and looks like a future Pro Bowler. Nobody else has gotten that, except maybe Percy Harvin for Minnesota or Kenny Britt in Tennessee. But I think we have the best one, and at a reasonable contract unlike Crabtree.

We are not a team that needs to build through the draft. We need a MLB pending the way Goff finishes the season... and I'd rather it not be a rookie anyway. We may need a SLB although I'd prefer to let Sintim take the reigns. We need a Safety, maybe two of them, and Safety is a position you can get top quality at late in the first round. We have no other real pressing needs. So this talk about draft position is ridiculous.

Our offense "outplayed" their offense (4 turnovers compared to 1....I think you mean "outgained") because their offense didn't have to step on the field to score on us. You're highlighting one area we improved in by completely ignoring the fact that their offense played just as well as us tearing through our defense at critical times and had two possessions less to do so....not to mention the fact our defense folds every time the potential to win a game is there...

So you're saying they won because of our mistakes? I'm pretty sure every team could say : "Well, if we didn't make mistakes, we would have won," it's too bad good teams correct mistakes (such as consistently blowing coverages) and we continuously make the same mistakes game after game(such as consistently blowing coverages). The defense looks lost every game.

This team is average at best and if any of you think we're going to come in and romp the Skins because they are perceived to be the weaker team, be prepared for a stressful and down to the last minute Monday night (or a complete blowout, the only ways we lose...nail biters and blowouts) . The Skins are a team that has improved every week instead of regressed.

its really baffling

where i come from, how i was raised its blasphemy to hope the giants dont make the playoffs.

i guess to each his own but i hate it and it blows my mind.

I hate being embarrassed in the playoffs when we don't deserve to be there in the first place. That's what I hate.

And I refuse to root for playoffs for a team that sucks and has regressed from even last year. Quick, name one area of football this team has improved in over last year!

eli has improved since last year, but regardless of all that, ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs, nothing in the nfl is pre-ordained. id rather go to the playoffs and lose than not make them at all.

and it seriously confuses and irritates me that some giants fans wouldnt.

I'm totally with Jim on this one storm. Yep, I will bitch about the Giants after a loss... but as the next game gets closer, I'm cheering again. Say what you want but the game against the Eagles is our 3rd game this season we should have won.... and it all has to do with luck... pure luck. Go Giants.

I'm totally with Jim on this one storm. Yep, I will bitch about the Giants after a loss... but as the next game gets closer, I'm cheering again. Say what you want but the game against the Eagles is our 3rd game this season we should have won.... and it all has to do with luck... pure luck. Go Giants.

Yes, Nas, the 400 yards and 30+ points teams put up on us every week are flukes every week. The poor coverage on the punt was soo lucky for DeSean Jackson. The butterfingers our offensive backfield decided to display was also luck. It has NOTHING to do with poor play.

And I wasn't talking individual improvement, PDouble, I was talking about team improvement. The defense regressed, the offense continues its inconsistent ways. Feagles still can't kick the ball more than 38 yards. Tynes can't get a kickoff to the opponent's 10. And we spot the opposing team to our 40 yard line every kickoff. Here ya go, have a 30 yard kick return every time. Still can't score a TD in the red zone, still can't defend against one.

Think about it like this: We win out and make the playoffs, desperately needed changes aren't made. I'm fine with Coughlin sticking around because the guy is a good coach, he just can't choose coordinators to save his damn life.

Yes, Nas, the 400 yards and 30+ points teams put up on us every week are flukes every week. The poor coverage on the punt was soo lucky for DeSean Jackson. The butterfingers our offensive backfield decided to display was also luck. It has NOTHING to do with poor play.

And I wasn't talking individual improvement, PDouble, I was talking about team improvement. The defense regressed, the offense continues its inconsistent ways. Feagles still can't kick the ball more than 38 yards. Tynes can't get a kickoff to the opponent's 10. And we spot the opposing team to our 40 yard line every kickoff. Here ya go, have a 30 yard kick return every time. Still can't score a TD in the red zone, still can't defend against one.

Think about it like this: We win out and make the playoffs, desperately needed changes aren't made. I'm fine with Coughlin sticking around because the guy is a good coach, he just can't choose coordinators to save his damn life.

2006 we made the playoffs, lost, and then desperately needed changes were made, spags was brought in to coach the D.

2006 we made the playoffs, lost, and then desperately needed changes were made, spags was brought in to coach the D.

Well, if we make the playoffs I hope that's the case, but on both sides of the ball this time....

Really man? Who said the Giants should "throw the season for better draft position nonsense?" Because, I said I'd rather see one more loss so the notion of the playoffs is lost...meaning we go home where we deserve. By all means, play hard, maybe someone on the defense will prove they deserve to even receive pay. But, just one loss brings us such benefits as:

1. Bringing about much NEEDED changes.

2. We will be in a better position to draft the best player at a position we potentially desperately need picking mid-round.

Literally, you did. You've said it over and over again. In fact, here it is again, above, bolded & in red. You're not leaving yourself much room for nuance.

Literally, you did. You've said it over and over again. In fact, here it is again, above, bolded & in red. You're not leaving yourself much room for nuance.

I never said throw the game. I said I hope we lose. There's a large difference. Throwing the game is the inference you made and entails losing on purpose. As you all know from our 2-6 record in the last 8 weeks, we lose just fine on accident.

I never said throw the game. I said I hope we lose. There's a large difference. Throwing the game is the inference you made and entails losing on purpose. As you all know from our 2-6 record in the last 8 weeks, we lose just fine on accident.

Hope the Giants lose?...or hope the Giants throw the game?...LOL...yeah, huge difference, okay.:rolleyes:

Hope the Giants lose?...or hope the Giants throw the game?...LOL...yeah, huge difference, okay.:rolleyes:

Throwing the game is something the Giants would have to do (and never would), hoping the Giants lose is something I am doing....I don't hope they come out and Eli purposely starts throwing the ball to opposing corners...I just hope they lose to eliminate us from playoff contention. We could lose by 1 and that'd be fine.

You guys are spoiled. You take any and all opportunities to get into the playoffs. Ask a Detroit fan if they would prefer a playoff game or a high draft pick. Ask a Cardinal fan if they are happier now, or when they drafted Fitzgerald.

I've been a fan of this team since I was a kid the seventies, and it wasn't until after I graduated high school that this team saw a playoff game. My point? It could be years before your team gets back in the post season, so you need to relish the chances you get.

You guys are spoiled. You take any and all opportunities to get into the playoffs. Ask a Detroit fan if they would prefer a playoff game or a high draft pick. Ask a Cardinal fan if they are happier now, or when they drafted Fitzgerald.

I've been a fan of this team since I was a kid the seventies, and it wasn't until after I graduated high school that this team saw a playoff game. My point? It could be years before your team gets back in the post season, so you need to relish the chances you get.

It's the curse of being a fan of a recently, or currently, successful team. Your expectations get too high every season; remember everybody's 12-4 or 11-5 prediction. Hell at least half the league's fans would love if their team "sucked" as much as the Giants. <_<

DETROIT HAS NEVER WON ANYTHING, FOR THE SECOND TIME. Of course that's what they'd choose.

Fitzgerald is an integral part of the Arizona Cardinals...without him, they most likely aren't anywhere near as good as they are in offense. That's how rebuilding works. You have a losing season, you get a high draft pick and re-evaluate your current crop of players, letting veterans and former draft picks go alike. I'm sure Arizona was ecstatic the day they drafted him.

We're two years removed from the Super Bowl and have made the playoffs something like 5 of the last 6 years. That is spoiled and I can deal with sitting at home this year because we simply DON'T DESERVE TO BE IN THE PLAYOFFS. I have never, in my life, seen a worse Giants defense. The whole team, every facet of this team, plays with no intensity or heart. It's straight up embarrassing when you can't even win a game scoring nearly 40 points.

This year, we suck terribly. Next year will be for reworking and re-evaluating our current talent and getting rid of dead weight like AP, Dockery, Johnson & Johnson, Clark, etc, etc. Get some young playmakers through the draft (*GASP* a top 15 defensive stud!? Not since LT have we drafted a game changing defensive player in the first round) and free agency and insert them where the crappy players were and we're nearly automatically better.

Your really screwing the pooch on this one storm. Hope the Giants lose?? angry.gif

You're the morons that actually think this team can win at least 2 more regular season games, let alone a playoff game. Does your face turn blue or purple when you hold your breath? Just curious.

My money is against the Giants in all three of these games. I pick the spread, and I'm gonna be rich.

The Saints are NOT better than the Patriots of '07, btw. The Patriots had the highest scoring offense in history. They had the quarterback who had the best QB season in history. The Saints needed miracle after miracle to beat the Redskins. Their defense is not as good as they hype. They are beatable.

I agree...I wouldn't be very surprised if they lost to the Cowboys....I certainly hope they win, but Dallas is capable of beating the Saints.

I agree...I wouldn't be very surprised if they lost to the Cowboys....I certainly hope they win, but Dallas is capable of beating the Saints.

You seriously think a team that we beat twice will beat a team that smoked us by 20 points? New Orleans is too fast for Dallas on offense. They are too deep at WR. They have a similar tailback situation as we did in 07, with 3 highly capable backs splitting time.

Two weeks ago all I heard was Dallas always falls apart in December...now it's Dallas is going to take out New Orleans. Lol.

You seriously think a team that we beat twice will beat a team that smoked us by 20 points? New Orleans is too fast for Dallas on offense. They are too deep at WR. They have a similar tailback situation as we did in 07, with 3 highly capable backs splitting time.

Two weeks ago all I heard was Dallas always falls apart in December...now it's Dallas is going to take out New Orleans. Lol.

We lost to Philly twice, and they lost to Oakland. Anything is possible, that's all I'm saying.

If NO plays like they did against the Redskins, Dallas will beat them.

I certainly hope not, because if Dallas beats NO, it puts a huge monkeywrench in the Giants drive to the Super Bowl. :mellow: