SportsWrath

Something to Consider...

Storm

The more and more I watch us get beat, the more and more I realize that our organization as a whole is either behind times or unable to adjust to the changing nature of the game. We have no one on defense that can cover backs out of the backfield, something being utilized to an extreme lately. Even running backs and wide receivers are beginning to take direct snaps and we just won't have the speed to defend it.

I dunno if it's Coughlin or just the history of this fine organization but we just seem 100% predictable on offense, especially. Teams tee off against us when we run and Eli hasn't been getting enough time in the pocket. Teams seem to know exactly what our playcall will be every time. And I've noticed that I usually can too...any time we run, and it seems even with Bradshaw now, it's up the gut. Gone are the days of Tiki Barber and the misdirection run(get the defense moving one way and then run the opposite way, with the line sealing the ends) obviously, but I seriously feel we have players such as Ware and Bradshaw who should be utilized in misdirection, lined up in 4 WR sets, and otherwise create mismatches like we used to always do with Barber.

We just don't do that anymore. Our offensive game plan is so predictable that teams come into the game knowing exactly what they have to do and we have no ability to adjust to that. And I cannot honestly say that this team has looked prepared during any of these past 4 losses. You have guys committing stupid penalty after stupid penalty (running into a guy waving fair catch....honestly?), dropped passes, miscues on defense leading to key third down conversions, stupid calls on 3rd down both offensively and defensively, you have Jacobs running well and the coaches allow him to disappear after the first quarter, blitz packages that are late and leave our pathetic secondary vulnerable with no benefit of a sack, poor communication in the defensive backfield, a dline that is severely underachieving, and players that show no heart or fire when they need to stand up and make a play.

I can remember when we used to do things on offense. We'd move Shockey around to line him up against their slowest LB. We'd have sets with Shockey in the backfield for christ's sake...we actually have a good blocking tight end now and don't do that! Hell, Boss is a great pass catching tight end too and he maybe catches 2 passes a game (I do realize his weaknesses in route running, though). Now we run one guy in motion, Eli waits till 1 second on the clock, allowing for no surprise on defense as to when the balls snapped, and everyone's running Receiving 101 routes and we're keeping all our backs in for protecting the QB because our oline forgot how to block...well, forgot how to block without holding, anyway.

It's ridiculous to see how well coached these teams we've been losing to are compared to what's been going on in Giants land. I might just be jaded but I really, really think it's time to start thinking about a change at head coach. I think Tom is just out of touch anymore. He's been unable to adjust anything up to this point. The same problems that have been plaguing us since week 1 are plaguing us now (hint: it's everything but the wide receivers).

i still think we're missing a deep threat WR. defenses are willing to chance giving up a TD after a 10 minute drive. so they play us tight and if everything goes right, eli and steve smith hook up for a surgical drive. but most of the time, we stall.

it's something we're missing that has a domino effect.

The more and more I watch us get beat, the more and more I realize that our organization as a whole is either behind times or unable to adjust to the changing nature of the game. We have no one on defense that can cover backs out of the backfield, something being utilized to an extreme lately. Even running backs and wide receivers are beginning to take direct snaps and we just won't have the speed to defend it.

I dunno if it's Coughlin or just the history of this fine organization but we just seem 100% predictable on offense, especially. Teams tee off against us when we run and Eli hasn't been getting enough time in the pocket. Teams seem to know exactly what our playcall will be every time. And I've noticed that I usually can too...any time we run, and it seems even with Bradshaw now, it's up the gut. Gone are the days of Tiki Barber and the misdirection run(get the defense moving one way and then run the opposite way, with the line sealing the ends) obviously, but I seriously feel we have players such as Ware and Bradshaw who should be utilized in misdirection, lined up in 4 WR sets, and otherwise create mismatches like we used to always do with Barber.

We just don't do that anymore. Our offensive game plan is so predictable that teams come into the game knowing exactly what they have to do and we have no ability to adjust to that. And I cannot honestly say that this team has looked prepared during any of these past 4 losses. You have guys committing stupid penalty after stupid penalty (running into a guy waving fair catch....honestly?), dropped passes, miscues on defense leading to key third down conversions, stupid calls on 3rd down both offensively and defensively, you have Jacobs running well and the coaches allow him to disappear after the first quarter, blitz packages that are late and leave our pathetic secondary vulnerable with no benefit of a sack, poor communication in the defensive backfield, a dline that is severely underachieving, and players that show no heart or fire when they need to stand up and make a play.

I can remember when we used to do things on offense. We'd move Shockey around to line him up against their slowest LB. We'd have sets with Shockey in the backfield for christ's sake...we actually have a good blocking tight end now and don't do that! Hell, Boss is a great pass catching tight end too and he maybe catches 2 passes a game (I do realize his weaknesses in route running, though). Now we run one guy in motion, Eli waits till 1 second on the clock, allowing for no surprise on defense as to when the balls snapped, and everyone's running Receiving 101 routes and we're keeping all our backs in for protecting the QB because our oline forgot how to block...well, forgot how to block without holding, anyway.

It's ridiculous to see how well coached these teams we've been losing to are compared to what's been going on in Giants land. I might just be jaded but I really, really think it's time to start thinking about a change at head coach. I think Tom is just out of touch anymore. He's been unable to adjust anything up to this point. The same problems that have been plaguing us since week 1 are plaguing us now (hint: it's everything but the wide receivers).

I blame the lack of draft focus on linebackers. Everyone talks about "shutdown corners", but really, if I had to create a defense, I'd start with linebackers.....rush the QB, tackle the RB, cover RBs and TEs......there is no other position asked to do so much.

And lets face it....Boley has been a disappointment, Pierce is fat, and Danny Clark is about as athletic as Danny Thomas.

All of our coaches are old school coaches. Spags was new school, that's why the defense did so well. It always seems like the Gaints are behind the times and trying to catch up. The only trend they started was dumping Gatorade on the coach after a win.

don't forget "Ballin"

So when we're winning the coaches are fine and when we're losing we're old and behind the times.

:busted_cop:

I'm starting to think that being a Giants fan you have to be bi-polar.

When we're winning were the best team to ever grace the NFL but when we losing we dont deserve to be on the field. I'm guilty of this as well.

I'm starting to think that being a Giants fan you have to be bi-polar.

When we're winning were the best team to ever grace the NFL but when we losing we dont deserve to be on the field. I'm guilty of this as well.

Well, they went from ass-kicking to ass-sucking so quickly, it's hard not to become bipolar.

So when we're winning the coaches are fine and when we're losing we're old and behind the times.

People, myself included, have been calling for Gilbride's head since before the Superbowl. Sheridan's been heavily critisied all season. There's no hypocrisy here.

I seem to recall many people doubting the play call, and myself, in particular, doubting Tom Coughlin's ability to micromanage a football games when needed, for a very long time...

I don't know how anyone can say Boley has been a disappointment..he's played in like 4 games and he's all over the field.

He's been a disappointment because he's only been in about four games. Otherwise...hell yeah, the man can play. But as much as he's injured its like we're reliving the Barrett Green experiment.

We're saying we're "behind the times" when a year ago we had argurably the best sophomore class the francise has ever seen... and we're pining for the days of a Jim Fassel offense thinking THAT was better and less predictable? Fassel inspired the players more than the guy we've got in there now?

Jeremy Shockey?!?!

it's a joke, right?

We still have a winning record. Two years ago we finished 10-6 and won the Super Bowl after a late-season rally. Last year we kicked everyone's asses until the last few weeks and got a first-round playoff loss.

This coaching staff (minus Spags) JUST WON THE SUPERBOWL a mere TWO years ago. We were arguably the best team in the NFC for most of last season. We've been in the playoffs EVERY year for the past four.

Yes, things look bad and there are is a lot to bitch about but... can we keep just a LITTLE bit of perspective?

Dude.. Jim Fassel.... :huh:

We're saying we're "behind the times" when a year ago we had argurably the best sophomore class the francise has ever seen... and we're pining for the days of a Jim Fassel offense thinking THAT was better and less predictable? Fassel inspired the players more than the guy we've got in there now?

Jeremy Shockey?!?!

it's a joke, right?

We still have a winning record. Two years ago we finished 10-6 and won the Super Bowl after a late-season rally. Last year we kicked everyone's asses until the last few weeks and got a first-round playoff loss.

This coaching staff (minus Spags) JUST WON THE SUPERBOWL a mere TWO years ago. We were arguably the best team in the NFC for most of last season. We've been in the playoffs EVERY year for the past four.

Yes, things look bad and there are is a lot to bitch about but... can we keep just a LITTLE bit of perspective?

Stop trying to be reasonable. The Giants win every game and every SB or I am rooting for another team. As for bi-polar it's a fan thing as basically the majority of fans are this way.

Jeremy Shockey?!?!

it's a joke, right?

Actually, at this point, I'd take even the oft criticized Andy Reid(who is doing a great job in Philly finally) over Tom Coughlin. Arguing that we could have Jim Fassel instead of objectively looking at how bad a job Coughlin is doing this season so far, is so far away from the point. Coughlin simply does not know when to take his team into half time down, instead of forcing things and getting into a bigger hole. He has no idea how to manage the game clock yet also doesn't know when the situation calls for us to go for a game winning touchdown. The team has NOT come out well prepared for any game this season (even in the wins, we gave up way too much offense aside from the blowouts of KC and Oakland).Our offense is pure cookie cutter right now and he has the power to make changes there but he hasn't. And we will continue to lose. Jacobs carrying the ball 11 times? Are you fucking serious? He has authority over coordinators yet doesn't implement any adjustments.

Have you actually seen how well coached teams like the Eagles and Saints are? It's embarassing.

Actually, at this point, I'd take even the oft criticized Andy Reid(who is doing a great job in Philly finally) over Tom Coughlin. Arguing that we could have Jim Fassel instead of objectively looking at how bad a job Coughlin is doing this season so far, is so far away from the point. Coughlin simply does not know when to take his team into half time down, instead of forcing things and getting into a bigger hole. He has no idea how to manage the game clock yet also doesn't know when the situation calls for us to go for a game winning touchdown. The team has NOT come out well prepared for any game this season (even in the wins, we gave up way too much offense aside from the blowouts of KC and Oakland).Our offense is pure cookie cutter right now and he has the power to make changes there but he hasn't. And we will continue to lose. Jacobs carrying the ball 11 times? Are you fucking serious? He has authority over coordinators yet doesn't implement any adjustments.

Have you actually seen how well coached teams like the Eagles and Saints are? It's embarassing.

Actually Ried is getting same amount of crap after some questionable decisions vs. the cowboys.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/sports_breaking/20091109_Phil_Sheridan__McNabb_still_gets_nod_over_Romo.html

Alright, to be honest I didn't watch the Philly-Dallas game. The way they came out against us spoke volumes to me, though...maybe Reid is a bad example.

he's a good example of the inconsistency in the NFC East. That's why the Giants still have a chance.

I won't blame the playcalling entirely for the losses. It comes down to poor execution by both starters and players forced into the role of being starters. C.C. Brown was one lemon of a signing. Unfortunate that we've been missing Boley, Canty, Ross to injuries early on.

What we do on offense and defense is really no different than anyone else. Teams go out there with a game plan and its the same thing they do week in and week out all season long. Its still a good team that is well coached so this will be fixed.

Eli's inaccuracy has been a major factor in all four losses too. He's overthrown sure TD passes in each game and racked up a bunch of bone-headed INTs.

Still, we beat San Diego in time of possession, yardage and turnovers; all huge advantages (something like 80% correlation with winning the game for each of them) yet we blew it. There's something fundamentally wrong for that to occur ie. our shameful Red Zone efficiency. That's something Gilbride's struggled with since he arrived.