SportsWrath

**POWER RANKINGS WEEK 5**

jerseygiantfan

I don't get ESPN. These Colts are most definitely not the same caliber team as they've been in passed years (when ESPN was putting NE above them all the time)....they aren't even the best team Indy has had in the last couple years....why all the love? Sure they're undefeated, they haven't really beaten anyone any good (struggling in wins against Miami and Jacksonville, neither of which are very good but constitute the best teams that they've played. They don't have a great running back, they (like the Giants) have inexperienced WRs (even more so, their starters are rookies minus Wayne). Their defense really isn't very good either! I don't get the love.

1. It's nice that the Giants are picked by so many even though the only decent team we beat was Dallas.

2. I think the Vikes are overrated. They will get theirs.

I said it at the beginning of the season, don't be surprised when the Bears take that division.

I don't get ESPN. These Colts are most definitely not the same caliber team as they've been in passed years (when ESPN was putting NE above them all the time)....they aren't even the best team Indy has had in the last couple years....why all the love? Sure they're undefeated, they haven't really beaten anyone any good (struggling in wins against Miami and Jacksonville, neither of which are very good but constitute the best teams that they've played. They don't have a great running back, they (like the Giants) have inexperienced WRs (even more so, their starters are rookies minus Wayne). Their defense really isn't very good either! I don't get the love.

the dog doesn't care much for the colts, but has to say they are legit and solid all around, at least to this point. as for not playing anyone, the same is true of the giants at this point. arizona was on their schedule, and the dog would say they are still a pretty solid team.

the dog doesn't care much for the colts, but has to say they are legit and solid all around, at least to this point. as for not playing anyone, the same is true of the giants at this point. arizona was on their schedule, and the dog would say they are still a pretty solid team.

So are Dallas and Washington. In fact, I would wager that Dallas and Washington could both beat Miami and possibly Arizona...

I just don't see anything on that team other than Peyton. Addai sucks balls, that defense is buttery.

Whereas the Giants obviously have one of the best defensive and offensive fronts in the league, one of the better running games with Jacobs and Bradshaw, a Manning that's starting to look like the other Manning, and WRs that are stepping up big in their 2nd and 3rd years. Our secondary is holding teams number WRs to 1 catch. Our kickoff coverage has even been good for once! We're forcing SHITLOADS of turnovers AND capitalizing on them. Oh yah, did I mention we have the 2 best defensive ends in football? Probably 2 of the best cornerbacks too, if Ross ever gets healthy. And based on last week, our red zone production seems to at the least be improving.

There should be no way the Colts are ranked ahead of the Giants as a team.

So are Dallas and Washington. In fact, I would wager that Dallas and Washington could both beat Miami and possibly Arizona...

I just don't see anything on that team other than Peyton. Addai sucks balls, that defense is buttery.

Whereas the Giants obviously have one of the best defensive and offensive fronts in the league, one of the better running games with Jacobs and Bradshaw, a Manning that's starting to look like the other Manning, and WRs that are stepping up big in their 2nd and 3rd years. Our secondary is holding teams number WRs to 1 catch. Our kickoff coverage has even been good for once! We're forcing SHITLOADS of turnovers AND capitalizing on them. Oh yah, did I mention we have the 2 best defensive ends in football? Probably 2 of the best cornerbacks too, if Ross ever gets healthy. And based on last week, our red zone production seems to at the least be improving.

There should be no way the Colts are ranked ahead of the Giants as a team.

it really is a toss up as far as the dog is concerned when it comes to power rankings...if you haven't had a chance to see the colts on a regular basis, they have been impressive on route to being 5-0. as for schedule, and this will sound odd the dog is sure, but the only unbeaten team in the NFL who has played a schedule that is overall the most solid is the broncos. theorteically when looking at that team, they have every right to claim the top ranking in all of this as anyone...they have played the toughest schedule of any of the unbeatens, they have had a dominating defense, and very efficient offense...etc...power rankings are lame in general.

You could make the argument that none of the undefeateds have played impressive schedules--even the Saints, who have beaten two good teams in Philly and the Jets--caught them at the right time--Kolb in his first start, Sanchez when he was overdue for a let-down game.

Eh, flip a coin if you want, but the Giants are no less legitimate than the other 5-0 teams. They've done exactly what you'd expect an elite team to do with the schedule they were given.

You could make the argument that none of the undefeateds have played impressive schedules--even the Saints, who have beaten two good teams in Philly and the Jets--caught them at the right time--Kolb in his first start, Sanchez when he was overdue for a let-down game.

Eh, flip a coin if you want, but the Giants are no less legitimate than the other 5-0 teams. They've done exactly what you'd expect an elite team to do with the schedule they were given.

I think like you said, the main thing is that good teams don't have let down games when they are supposed to win. We've been soundly defeating teams we are supposed to be beating, and like you said, that's what an elite team will do. And I think we match up well with the other 5-0 teams....

the dog agrees 100%...the coin flip comment had more to do with the fact that power rankings are really a waste or at least shouldn't be taken seriously, particularly when you have several unbeaten teams who have all demonstrated worthiness of being considered #1 overall. Strong arguments could be made on behalf of each team, but going by strength of schedule, the broncos probably have had the toughest road...either way, such rankings are really only an opportunity for bored media analysts to fill their not-so-busy schedules...

the dog agrees 100%...the coin flip comment had more to do with the fact that power rankings are really a waste or at least shouldn't be taken seriously, particularly when you have several unbeaten teams who have all demonstrated worthiness of being considered #1 overall. Strong arguments could be made on behalf of each team, but going by strength of schedule, the broncos probably have had the toughest road...either way, such rankings are really only an opportunity for bored media analysts to fill their not-so-busy schedules...

Eh--I guess. Impressive in the sense that I thought this year was going to be a fiasco for them. But it's still really too early to tell what wins are "quality."

Eh--I guess. Impressive in the sense that I thought this year was going to be a fiasco for them. But it's still really too early to tell what wins are "quality."

which is exactly the dog's point. and that point holds true for the giants as well. which again is why power rankings are stupid, but if schedule strength is something people want to look at, than at this very moment in time, knowing that it is still early, the broncos have the edge. are they better than the giants? not in terms of preseason expectations or on named roster talent, but to date, their defense has outperformed the giants against a more challenging schedule, and the offense has been as consistently productive and efficient, if not more so. so an argument can be made they should be ranked ahead of the giants...does the dog believe they are better? not necessarily, but that is a strong case...which is why power rankings are silly.

what i see in the giants is razor sharp focus. other teams have beaten the raiders but not liike that. the giants came in with a plan to put the game out of reach early to get eli out of there and they accomplished it to perfection.

plus it seems like they are road warriors again.

what i see in the giants is razor sharp focus. other teams have beaten the raiders but not liike that. the giants came in with a plan to put the game out of reach early to get eli out of there and they accomplished it to perfection.

plus it seems like they are road warriors again.

That's very true. The fact that they're 3-0 on the road is a very big reason why their record can't be discounted out-of-hand. The import of the Dallas game to the cowboys makes that win a bigger accomplishment than the cowboys record would indicate as well.

The bottom line: I'm happy that we're ranked #1 in the division; really don't care all that much if we're #1 in these rankings. It feels good, it's fun to argue, but so what?

That's very true. The fact that they're 3-0 on the road is a very big reason why their record can't be discounted out-of-hand. The import of the Dallas game to the cowboys makes that win a bigger accomplishment than the cowboys record would indicate as well.

The bottom line: I'm happy that we're ranked #1 in the division; really don't care all that much if we're #1 in these rankings. It feels good, it's fun to argue, but so what?

the cowboys are the only legit team they have played to date. the thing about dallas is, if (and this is a huge if) their coach doesn't derail them, they will only get better. the dog would note that they are 3-2, with their two losses being by a combined total of 8 against two teams with a combined record of 10-0. that being said, the dog agrees again with everything you said above...power rankings are silly.

the cowboys are the only legit team they have played to date. the thing about dallas is, if (and this is a huge if) their coach doesn't derail them, they will only get better. the dog would note that they are 3-2, with their two losses being by a combined total of 8 against two teams with a combined record of 10-0. that being said, the dog agrees again with everything you said above...power rankings are silly.

Don't dismiss the Giant's record too much, though. They beat that legitimate team on the road, then went on to play two additional road games to remain undefeated. A reasonable expectation even for an elite team is to win 2 of those 3 games. Winning all three is outstanding, especially considering our defense has yet to be at full strength.

So while this has turned out to be an easy stretch in the schedule, the NFL didn't exactly make it as easy as it could have been. And who would have figured Washington would be as awful as they have been so far? I didn't think they'd be a playoff team, but jeez....

Don't dismiss the Giant's record too much, though. They beat that legitimate team on the road, then went on to play two additional road games to remain undefeated. A reasonable expectation even for an elite team is to win 2 of those 3 games. Winning all three is outstanding, especially considering our defense has yet to be at full strength.

So while this has turned out to be an easy stretch in the schedule, the NFL didn't exactly make it as easy as it could have been. And who would have figured Washington would be as awful as they have been so far? I didn't think they'd be a playoff team, but jeez....

the dog agrees, and you really can't penalize a team due to their schedule, so long as the team delivers with wins. oddly, both the chiefs and the raiders were games that could have been dangerous in so much as they are the teams that sneak by you when you aren't focused. of course, the raiders are no longer really in that category, because really, can anyone take them seriously at this point? washington does have a solid defense, but that offense makes the dog queezy...what a waste of fantasy pick portis turned out to be this year - not his fault, but the dog is still angry...

the dog agrees, and you really can't penalize a team due to their schedule, so long as the team delivers with wins. oddly, both the chiefs and the raiders were games that could have been dangerous in so much as they are the teams that sneak by you when you aren't focused. of course, the raiders are no longer really in that category, because really, can anyone take them seriously at this point? washington does have a solid defense, but that offense makes the dog queezy...what a waste of fantasy pick portis turned out to be this year - not his fault, but the dog is still angry...

I was thinking more about Tampa Bay and KC, but the Raiders might have done something in past years...

Come to think of it, what is going on with Tampa Bay? That team should be showing a LOT better than it has so far. Granted, their defense is kind of ancient and they have no passing game, but it's still a team that wasn't far from the playoffs last season.

Dammit, I'd hate to admit to Jack that maybe Gruden wasn't that bad...