SportsWrath

Draft Grades

Lughead

I got this from Bigblueview.com

Here is a look around the Inter-Google at what is being said about the New York Giants' draft. I'm not putting stock in any of it, I'm just throwing these opinions out there for your amusement.

ESPN's Todd McShay.

Considering that the Giants were, for the most part, drafting near the bottom of each round, they cleaned house a little bit. They got a potential No. 2 WR in Hakeem Nicks, upgraded their pass rush with OLB Clint Sintim, and TE Travis Beckum and RB Andre Brown could develop into midround steals in time. New York took Beatty about where we projected him, but he is a finesse player who has not played to his potential, and who just doesn't seem to have the same crafty, hardworking attitude the Giants value up front.

SI'com's Peter King.

Sorry. I still can't figure why, with five picks in the top three rounds, they didn't go get Anquan Boldin or Braylon Edwards. Giants fans have every right to have the attitude "In Jerry We Trust'' about GM Jerry Reese, and they'll just have to trust that Hakeem Nicks or the tall drink of water from Cal Poly, Ramses Barden, is going to be a go-to guy for Eli Manning by October. How many times does that happen in the NFL with rookie receivers? Not many.

Walter Football (which graded the draft A+).

Jerry Reese sure knows how to stockpile talent. He grabbed the best receiver left on the board at No. 29. Clint Sintim, a fringe first-rounder, should be the team's new starting strongside linebacker.

The crown jewel of this class, however, came at No. 60, when Reese took advantage of the ineptness of other general managers and grabbed William Beatty off the board. Beatty was the best second-tier left tackle in this class. Even though he doesn't fill a need, he provided way too much positional value to pass up. This is a concept that perennial non-playoff teams like the Lions and Bills haven't grasped.

ESPN's Mel Kiper (B).

The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nicks could be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selections late in the draft with running back Andre Brown in the fourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson.

Yahoo! Sports (B).

There are some concerns whether Nicks and Barden will get too heavy on the NFL level, but both give Eli Manning solid targets. With some added weight and strength, Beatty could be the best thing to come out of this class. Bomar has an NFL arm, and that’s not bad for a fifth-round pick.

John Czarnecki, FOX Sports (B).

GM Jerry Reese really analyzed receivers in this draft after the release of big-time playmaker Plaxico Burress. So, Reese's first choice of North Carolina's Hakeem Nicks made a lot of sense. Nicks is polished and played in a pro-style offense. UConn offensive tackle William Beatty has great size and should develop into a reliable backup.

Ramses Barden of Cal Poly could be a real sleeper at wide receiver, considering he is 6-foot-6 and did play well against San Diego State and Wisconsin. South Carolina cornerback Stoney Woodson was a reach even in the seventh round.

Pete Prisco, CBS Sportsline (B-).

# Best pick: I like Clint Sintim in the second round. He's a good, solid player who will be an impact player early in his career.

# Questionable move: Taking Hakeem Nicks in the first round. He has speed, but did they force it?

# Second-day gem: Landing running back Andre Brown in the fourth round is a steal. He's a nice replacement for Derrick Ward.

What does any of this prove? Not a darn thing, but it's interesting to read nonetheless.

THanks for posting lug.

I only saw one grading and that was from USAToday and titled, "The Rich Get Richer"

They picked only 2 teams to give a "A" to:

GRADE: A

• New York Giants: They got what they needed and the guys that they wanted. Had targeted WR Hakeem Nicks, a big-body WR with great production who impressed at a workout at Giants Stadium. LB Clint Sintim led ACC in sacks, can move up and rush from line. OT William Beatty will eventually press Kareem McKenzie on the right side. RB Andre Brown gets a chance to replace free-agent Derrick Ward. WR Ramses Barden has the size (6-6) to bring to mind Plaxico Burress.

• Philadelphia Eagles: Traded a No. 1 previously to Buffalo for Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters. Traded up to get WR Jeremy Maclin, who may become the weapon so often deemed lacking from this offense. First time the Eagles used a No. 1 pick since 2006. RB LeSean McCoy is much like Brian Westbrook in style and should adapt quickly to the Eagles Offense. CB Victor "Macho" Harris, taken in the fifth round, could have gone higher and ought to fit well in Philly's aggressive scheme. Got CB Ellis Hobbs from New England for two No. 5 picks. Wow.

And yeah....it doesn't mean a damn thing and it's impossible to really give a grade on a draft for at least 3 years. But it gives everyone something to talk about while waiting for mini-camp to open.

Sorry. I still can't figure why, with five picks in the top three rounds, they didn't go get Anquan Boldin or Braylon Edwards.

There is this thing in the NFL called a "salary cap". If a player wants "x" amount, and said amount would make you go over this "salary cap" or prevent you from signing other players like your QB, you cannot trade for them.

Sorry. I still can't figure why, with five picks in the top three rounds, they didn't go get Anquan Boldin or Braylon Edwards.

There is this thing in the NFL called a "salary cap". If a player wants "x" amount, and said amount would make you go over this "salary cap" or prevent you from signing other players like your QB, you cannot trade for them.

Not just the salary cap.. evidently the Browns and Cardinals were asking for too much in return for the respective guy who doesn't want to be there. And it's not like the offseason is over.

Don't they tend to target guys in the 7th who aren't necessarily the highest remaining on their lists, but the ones most likely to get targeted as FAs by other teams?

Yeah....that, and sleepers they've found by scouts shaking the bushes and watching hours upon hours of tape.

Everyone knows the college stars and by the 6th round, all the low hanging fruit has been picked clean. It's a crapshoot from there on, but you are right......they target a lot of players that would normally go undrafted and by burning their 6th and 7th's they get to grab a player that they don't have to fight other teams for.

exactly....Reese has been better than most in the late rounds...and the last round is never a reach, at least in my opinion

The whole reach comment is asinine by reporters anyway. If you want a player and feel that he will be a good fit then take him whenever is necessary. I wouldn't obviously take a 7th rounder in the 1st but taking him in the 5th is hardly much of a gamble. It's pointless to wait too long, because of his so called projected draft status, and lose the player you want and he becomes a pro bowler.