SportsWrath

Darrius Heyward-Bey

NeMesiS

:worshippy:

The Debate on Darrius Heyward-Bey

By Toni Monkovic

It happens every year after the combine: the athlete vs. football player debate.

Take Vernon Gholston (some Jets fans would say, “Please”). He was and is a physical specimen, and he impressed at the combine last year. But some questioned his consistency and passion. The Jets took him with the sixth pick; he made next-to-no impact; and he’s Rex Ryan’s project now.

This year, the Jets pick 17th and the Giants 29th, and a man flying across their radars is Darrius Heyward-Bey of Maryland. The Jets and the Giants could use a speedy and rangy wideout, and Heyward-Bey, at 6 feet 3 inches and 206 pounds, more than fits the bill. He had the fastest combine time, 4.30, tying for the second-fastest time among receivers since 2000.

But he doesn’t have the resume of some other top prospects. He disappeared in some games, and his receiving numbers declined this past season (his junior year). Some are questioning his route running and catching technique. The NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock said: “You look at his combination of height, weight and speed, and you want to believe he’s a top 10 pick. At other times, it doesn’t look like he catches the ball naturally.”

In defense of Heyward-Bey, he didn’t have a good quarterback throwing to him in 2008, and Coach Ralph Friedgen said defenses made it a priority to take him out of the game.

And, oh, that speed.

In the clip at top, from a 2006 game, watch as he blows past Miami’s defense on a 96-yard touchdown catch. He had another long touchdown in that game, seen in this clip.

Extra point: Here we go again with an athlete with great “potential.” Heyward-Bey is projected to go in the last half of the first round, in Giants and Jets territory. Anyone with an opinion of him is welcome to share in the comments section, especially if you saw Maryland games.

Combine times for wide receivers

1) Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland, 4.30

2) Mike Wallace, Mississippi, 4:33

3) Johnny Knox, Abilene Christian, 4.34

4) Deon Butler, Penn State, 4.38

5) Mike Thomas, Arizona, 4.40

6) Tiquan Underwood, Rutgers, 4.41

6) Percy Harvin, Florida, 4.41

8) Demetrius Byrd, L.S.U., 4.42

9) Louis Murphy, Florida 4.43

10) Kenny McKinley, South Carolina 4.44

For running backs:

Peerman, Cedric 4.45

Johnson, Ian 4.46

Sheets, Kory 4.47

Brown, Andre 4.49

Brown, Donald 4.51

Williams, Javarris 4.52

Goodson, Mike 4.54

Scott, Bernard 4.56

Coffee, Glen 4.58

Lucky, Marlon 4.59

Wells, Beanie 4.59

When it comes to a receiver, I wouldn't mind picking up Underwood from Rutgers or Butler from Penn State in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I also like the idea of a Safety in round 1, of course, depending upon who's available. I think this draft is crucial for 3 positions...Safety, Linebacker, and Wide Receiver. We get three guys in those positions with strong upside, I'll be happy using the balance on offensive line depth.

When it comes to a receiver, I wouldn't mind picking up Underwood from Rutgers or Butler from Penn State in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I also like the idea of a Safety in round 1, of course, depending upon who's available. I think this draft is crucial for 3 positions...Safety, Linebacker, and Wide Receiver. We get three guys in those positions with strong upside, I'll be happy using the balance on offensive line depth.

no saftey worth a first round in this draft.

I would love D.H.B on the Giants but i think he has moved himself up to a top ten pick, top 15 at the worst no way do we get him at #29, he could go has high as #7 to Oakland or #8 to Jacksonville. He does dissapear in games but he also dominates games and he has played in a run first offense with shotty QB play if this guy was in the same offense has Crabtree i think he would be the best receiver in the entire class.

I'm wondering if he will be good against press coverage. Speed is great, but it's not the only thing. What do we always obsess on this board about when it comes to receivers... DROPS. I want to know that he can beat physical corners and break a tackle.

Everyone at this point knows how I feel about Britt. My next choice is Nicks. DHB could be the best WR in this entire draft, but I don't have the same certainty about him that I do of Britt and Nicks. The Giants need a SURE thing at WR in this draft. IMO, DHB is not quite a sure thing. I think you can get a near DHB clone in the third round in Louis Murphy. They are almost identical in size and Murphy is extremely fast as well (although his 40 was a little slower than DHB. It's a fun debate. No matter who they take, and I'm almost positive it will be a WR in the 1st, I will have some trepidation that they are going to live up to potential. I just can't wait for Giants football to come again.

I'm wondering if he will be good against press coverage. Speed is great, but it's not the only thing. What do we always obsess on this board about when it comes to receivers... DROPS. I want to know that he can beat physical corners and break a tackle.

Everyone at this point knows how I feel about Britt. My next choice is Nicks. DHB could be the best WR in this entire draft, but I don't have the same certainty about him that I do of Britt and Nicks. The Giants need a SURE thing at WR in this draft. IMO, DHB is not quite a sure thing. I think you can get a near DHB clone in the third round in Louis Murphy. They are almost identical in size and Murphy is extremely fast as well (although his 40 was a little slower than DHB. It's a fun debate. No matter who they take, and I'm almost positive it will be a WR in the 1st, I will have some trepidation that they are going to live up to potential. I just can't wait for Giants football to come again.

I like Brian Robiskie in round two if we don't get Britt at 29 in fact i wouldn't mind Robiskie at 29.

sorry to put highlights in another thread but some don't watch college football on here and have no idea who most these players are.

Thanks for posting Bigblue. In those highlights, I noticed a couple of things with Robiskie. First, did you see how he was positioning himself to keep the defender at bay and put himself in position to make catches? You could see it on the diving catch he made that was on the go-route. He slowed up a bit, and kind of "boxed out" the defender, before stretching out and diving for the catch. In the middle highlight, he also manipulated the DB to put himself in position for the catch. I also saw on the hook reception that he turned it up field with adequate speed. My one concern is that I couldn't really tell if he was catching the ball with his hands and bringing in to the body, or if he was letting the ball come all the way in. That is just youtube video quality, though. But that skill of being able to be somewhat physical with the corners and manipulating position while the ball is in the air, and still making the catch... that is an NFL skill.

Robiskie seems like an NFL ready talent. I think one thing about him is that they are not sure about his ceiling. I know all of us want a WR he is going to be a Brandon Marshall or T.O. type of receiver (in terms of dominating on the football field, not the distraction stuff), and I wonder if Robiskie will ever be that, or just be a nice productive receiver like say a Alvin Harper or a Marty Booker type.

Thanks for posting Bigblue. In those highlights, I noticed a couple of things with Robiskie. First, did you see how he was positioning himself to keep the defender at bay and put himself in position to make catches? You could see it on the diving catch he made that was on the go-route. He slowed up a bit, and kind of "boxed out" the defender, before stretching out and diving for the catch. In the middle highlight, he also manipulated the DB to put himself in position for the catch. I also saw on the hook reception that he turned it up field with adequate speed. My one concern is that I couldn't really tell if he was catching the ball with his hands and bringing in to the body, or if he was letting the ball come all the way in. That is just youtube video quality, though. But that skill of being able to be somewhat physical with the corners and manipulating position while the ball is in the air, and still making the catch... that is an NFL skill.

Robiskie seems like an NFL ready talent. I think one thing about him is that they are not sure about his ceiling. I know all of us want a WR he is going to be a Brandon Marshall or T.O. type of receiver (in terms of dominating on the football field, not the distraction stuff), and I wonder if Robiskie will ever be that, or just be a nice productive receiver like say a Alvin Harper or a Marty Booker type.

I've read that Robiskie has the best hand in this years draft.

I've read that Robiskie has the best hand in this years draft.

Wow, that is high praise, especially when you consider Nicks has unbelievable hands. I did hear that Robiskie is the son of the Wide Receivers coach of the Atlanta Falcons, Terry Robiskie, who was also a player in the NFL at... running back :blink::confused:

But I would guess that having an NFL receivers coach as a dad can't be a bad thing if you are trying to become a great NFL WR! :)

So Nem, would you be disappointed if we took Britt or Nicks and DHB was available where we pick (I'm expecting a trade up)? I know I won't be disappointed unless they don't go WR at all in the first round... but will still be ok if we get a good one in the second.

Those clips were impressive in that respect, but a couple of things make me uneasy. No seperation from defenders. He has to box out a corner because he can't seperate himself. And I may be wrong, but I think the college rules are a lot more lenient on wr's initiated contact than the nfl has become. Without that last minute contact he may not be able to get open in the pros.

:LMAO:

a rookie wr is not going to solve the giants problems. the giants can draft all wr in this year draft and it sill wont make a difference.

I agree. Defense and a strong ground game are all you really need. We have about 5/8ths of that already. Why waste a first rounder on wr.

a rookie wr is not going to solve the giants problems. the giants can draft all wr in this year draft and it sill wont make a difference.

'NYGFluketeam'? Methinks I smell a rat. What team do you support? And think carefully, I have magical powers that allow me to discover the truth over the internet.

If I'm wrong, sorry, and welcome.

If I'm right, not sorry, but welcome anyway. We could use some excitement around here.

Two players I submit to you... Anquan Boldin and Randy Moss. Please review their rookie seasons.

We don't expect any ONE player to "fix the Giants problems", as you put it... we have brought in numerous players to fill holes, and collectively, with Osi coming back, you will see that the Giants problems are miniscule in comparison to the other teams in the NFL.

But since you are an expert, please list the Giants problems as you see them.

'NYGFluketeam'? Methinks I smell a rat. What team do you support? And think carefully, I have magical powers that allow me to discover the truth over the internet.

If I'm wrong, sorry, and welcome.

If I'm right, not sorry, but welcome anyway. We could use some excitement around here.

So basically thats an open invitation to any troll?

Time to start spreading this website around some no so respectable sites.