SportsWrath

Mike Piazza, Did he take roids?

xxi-xxv

I know no physical or heresay evidence has ever been linked to Mike, but there is one thing I cannot help rememebering.

Remember about 2003 2004 when Mike TORE his groin muscle by simply attempting to get out of the way of a pitch? Well today I heard some doctoe call WFAN and he did not mention Mike, but he said one tell tale sign of a roid user is that their secondary muscles that you do not work on tend to tear easily.

I would say that simply backing away from a fastball and completely tearing your groin falls into the category of "easily tearing a secondary muscle you do not work on".

I sure hope not, would not surprise me, but it would be sad nonetheless and it would dimish the great things he did offensively as a catcher IMO.

I think not. I suppose it's possible but I don't think Mike did it (and this is only my gut feeling) and I don't see any reason to doubt his integrity or question him. It's unfortunate that it's come to this... where every noteworthy player is questionable.

He always did though. Was he taking 'roids in '93?

Mike was incredibly strong. He was just as solidly built as they come, and he produced a LOT of torque with his swing. The power he generated was in his swing mechanics and that powerful body, IMO. I don't see any evidence to say he used.

I know no physical or heresay evidence has ever been linked to Mike, but there is one thing I cannot help rememebering.

Remember about 2003 2004 when Mike TORE his groin muscle by simply attempting to get out of the way of a pitch? Well today I heard some doctoe call WFAN and he did not mention Mike, but he said one tell tale sign of a roid user is that their secondary muscles that you do not work on tend to tear easily.

I would say that simply backing away from a fastball and completely tearing your groin falls into the category of "easily tearing a secondary muscle you do not work on".

I sure hope not, would not surprise me, but it would be sad nonetheless and it would dimish the great things he did offensively as a catcher IMO.

I don't think that proves anything. I used to pull to pull a groin muscle every spring, or fall if it was football season, and I always contributed it to it being the last muscle in my legs getting in shape.

Mike was incredibly strong. He was just as solidly built as they come, and he produced a LOT of torque with his swing. The power he generated was in his swing mechanics and that powerful body, IMO. I don't see any evidence to say he used.

Jim, this is an objective Met thread, we are not looking for people who will defend him no matter what, we want real solid opinions of those who are able to critically look at the team they root for... :P

Only thing I will say is this, we have never before seen a catcher play day in and day out with that ability and continue to hit like that. Thats all we can say. If the roids era is about jacked up offensive stats, well then you cannot ignore the offensive stats that Piazza put up in that era, something that has never before been seen from a player at that position. The average and the power and the games played were unheard of before... I sure hope not.. and Mike always seemed pretty straightforward, but the questions have to be there, to dismiss them because we simply do not want to believe it is silly.

One thing in his favor based purely on anecdotal evidence is that he never seemed to suffer from roid rage or some of the other symptoms of chronic steroid use such as discoloration of the skin; liver/kidney issues or heart problems. If he were to be found dirty however....I would not be knocked over.

One thing in his favor based purely on anecdotal evidence is that he never seemed to suffer from roid rage or some of the other symptoms of chronic steroid use such as discoloration of the skin; liver/kidney issues or heart problems. If he were to be found dirty however....I would not be knocked over.

Exactly.

Plus that injury he suffered...Mike was getting pretty old too and all that wear and tear on his

body over all those years.

If Mike was on 'roids...I'd cry.

Exactly.

Plus that injury he suffered...Mike was getting pretty old too and all that wear and tear on his

body over all those years.

If Mike was on 'roids...I'd cry.

He was a proud catcher...too proud in terms of preserving his career. He should have taken as many vacations he could have gotten at first base; instead of treating it as being exiled to Siberia the way he acted with the Mets.

thats exactly why i think he juiced. i hope it's not true cuz i like mike too. remember pujols had that ridiculous quad injury while seemingly barely moving his leg? i think hes dirty for that reason as well

That time he went after Mota.. that was pretty roid rage like.

I still don't think he did it, and don't think a groin injury is reason to suspect that he did. I read somewhere that groin injuries occur mostly after a sudden, accelerated movement, kind of like trying to get out of the way of a fastball.

That time he went after Mota.. that was pretty roid rage like.

I still don't think he did it, and don't think a groin injury is reason to suspect that he did. I read somewhere that groin injuries occur mostly after a sudden, accelerated movement, kind of like trying to get out of the way of a fastball.

Yeah I forgot about that one....its a shame....just about every ball player for the past 30 years or more can come under the question. :mellow:

thats exactly why i think he juiced. i hope it's not true cuz i like mike too. remember pujols had that ridiculous quad injury while seemingly barely moving his leg? i think hes dirty for that reason as well

my history teacher used to cover baseball for USA today and said pujols's back was covered with acne too.

my history teacher used to cover baseball for USA today and said pujols's back was covered with acne too.

I joined a FOX Sports fantasy baseball league, and under the "news and notes" for Pujols it said something about LaRussa stating the league should have a no tolerance policy when dealing with steroids. I just thought that was kinda funny.

I joined a FOX Sports fantasy baseball league, and under the "news and notes" for Pujols it said something about LaRussa stating the league should have a no tolerance policy when dealing with steroids. I just thought that was kinda funny.

hysterical, considering his A's teams were sharing more needles than a sewing factory.

larussa has multiple championships and a great legacy due to coaching juiced up superstars. he should really shut his mouth

Everyone said Davey Johnson ran a zoo with the 86 Mets; well if he ran a zoo then LaRussa ran fucking Jurassic Park with the bullshit that went on underneath him....probably with full knowledge and no plausible protestations of innocence. :rolleyes: