SportsWrath

First Round Bye scenarios, how can we clinch?

Allstarjim

I think we've clinched a first round bye! With Tampa Bay losing, and AZ losing, I believe we can theoretically lose our remaining 3 games and still have a 1st round bye as the 2nd seed. I'm not 100%, but I used the playoff calculator to calculate worse case scenarios for us, and it still showed us in the 2 seed.

This is not to say that I want the 2 seed! I want that 1 seed, and I want to kick Dallas' ass tonight either way!

Am I the only one who doesn't want home field advantage after watching the Eagles game? Don't get me wrong, I will be rooting for the G-Man to win every game and get the #1 seed. But we haven't been spectacular in our home turf. And Eli doesn't play too well in cold weather, so that worries me a bit.

That was going to happen no matter what the results were of any of todays games.

In the first night of Christmas my true love gave to me...

-A Division champions ship.

In the second night of Christmas my true love gave to me...

-A Bye week

In the third night of Christmas my true love game to me...

-Home field advantage and a pair tree? :ph34r:

Am I the only one who doesn't want home field advantage after watching the Eagles game? Don't get me wrong, I will be rooting for the G-Man to win every game and get the #1 seed. But we haven't been spectacular in our home turf. And Eli doesn't play too well in cold weather, so that worries me a bit.

Yah, but the other team has to play in the cold and wind, too. I'd rather we have home-field advantage, because you know, for one, that our three headed monster of Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw (if healthy) provides us a huge advantage in inclimate conditions.

How do you figure? If Minnesota wins out they are 11-5. If we lose out we are 11-5 and Minnesota would have the tie breaker over us and they would win their division. Therefore they would get a first round bye

You're right. We need to win at LEAST one more. One more and I'll be happy. Preferably two, tonite and vs. CAR, but at least 1.

How do you figure? If Minnesota wins out they are 11-5. If we lose out we are 11-5 and Minnesota would have the tie breaker over us and they would win their division. Therefore they would get a first round bye

I'm assuming we win tonight, AZ loses and Tampa loses.

we wont lose out.

Ok then we clinch it. Its a magic number of 1 vs the Vikes thats how you have to look at it and a magic number of 2 vs the Panthers, which can be clinched with a win tonight and a win next week.

We have clinched nothing as of yet.

Next week is everything. Win and we're #1 seed. Lose and not only do we blow the #1 seed, we'd need a win in Minny to get the 2 seed and a bye. Lose in Minny to a desperate Viking team and we lose the bye week. Next week is the biggest game at Giant Stadium in many years.

Next week is everything. Win and we're #1 seed. Lose and not only do we blow the #1 seed, we'd need a win in Minny to get the 2 seed and a bye. Lose in Minny to a desperate Viking team and we lose the bye week. Next week is the biggest game at Giant Stadium in many years.

Not necessarily. Minnesota would still need to beat Atlanta next week for that to even be a possible scenario. Atlanta is no push over team and is the kind of team I think Tarvaris Jackson, if he is starting next week, will have trouble with. That said, I sure as hell don't want to limp into the playoffs. That first round bye is way more important than home field advantage, though.

Not necessarily. Minnesota would still need to beat Atlanta next week for that to even be a possible scenario. Atlanta is no push over team and is the kind of team I think Tarvaris Jackson, if he is starting next week, will have trouble with. That said, I sure as hell don't want to limp into the playoffs. That first round bye is way more important than home field advantage, though.

Gotcha....and agreed about Atlanta. But if Atlanta wins that game in Minny, THEY are a threat...figure they win Week 17 against the Rams, in Atlanta, they are 11-5. Same thing if Tampa Bay wins out (SD & Oak, in Tampa). If we lose out (perish the thought!) and Atl & TB win out, we all finish 11-5. What then?

All this means donkey dick if we win at home next Sunday night against Carolina. And I fully believe we will.

Gotcha....and agreed about Atlanta. But if Atlanta wins that game in Minny, THEY are a threat...figure they win Week 17 against the Rams, in Atlanta, they are 11-5. Same thing if Tampa Bay wins out (SD & Oak, in Tampa). If we lose out (perish the thought!) and Atl & TB win out, we all finish 11-5. What then?

All this means donkey dick if we win at home next Sunday night against Carolina. And I fully believe we will.

In this scenario, we still get the #1 seed because the Panthers will have clinched the division (if they haven't already), thereby relegating Atlanta and Tampa to wild card status no matter what.

We lost one game at home this year..