SportsWrath

OH GOD

Lughead

Boo we did lose Osi Strahan and Mitchell, so Spags deserves a lot of credit for keeping us top 10 and statistically better than last year.

Our offense is top ten because of our running game. We're number one in rushing and 17th in passing.

Our passing game is at its best when Eli is calling the plays AND/OR after we've established the run.

I'm not saying we need to fire the guy, but I definately don't think he's been the key to our success on offense. That would be our 3 RB's and the O-line.

My problems with Gil are: Getting away from the run, our bread and butter.

Seemingly unable to change up his gameplan during the game.

And his predictability. For instance, passing on first down. It's supposed to catch a defense off guard, but when you do it 8 of 10 times it's a liability.

No offense Nesta, but last time I looked, rushing was part of the offense.

And who's plays is Eli calling?. Seriously, on the 2 minute offense, those plays are already set up during the week and Eli adjusts the play at the line, but that adjustment is already laid out for him depending on how he sees the defense.

The key to our offense is Eli Manning. Everyone else lines up behind him in terms of importance.

No offense Nesta, but last time I looked, rushing was part of the offense.

And who's plays is Eli calling?. Seriously, on the 2 minute offense, those plays are already set up during the week and Eli adjusts the play at the line, but that adjustment is already laid out for him depending on how he sees the defense.

The key to our offense is Eli Manning. Everyone else lines up behind him in terms of importance.

uh yeah I realize that boo. What I'm saying is they make it easy for him. When all 3 of your runningbacks are getting over 5 ypc, you can just about be successful with any running play called.

We have that magnificent weapon, and the guy still gets stuck on the pass.

I didn't say anything was wrong with his PLAYS did I?

I have to disagree. The key is the run game. The RB's and the Oline. When it's on, Eli doesn't have to be. When it's ignored or not working is the only time Eli becomes a factor.

Thinking Eli is the key is exactly what gets Gil into trouble.

We'd definately wouldn't be 11-2 without dominating the run on both sides of the ball.

Sniff.....snifff......sniffffffff.....do I smell a Gil-a-Tar in the making???

I've already asked about that but I am with GolfingGuy on this one. Gilbride is the Rodney Dangerfield of this team. No matter how well the Giants O does most posters still want him gone while the D has a bad game and nobody is waiting to run Spagnuolo out of town. Apparently Eli become a QB and the Giants winning a SB and then going to 11-2, when the Giants historically choke after the SB, has nothing to do with Gilbride and neither do the O's top 10 stats. Westbrook killed the Giants for 200 combined yards and nobody is crucifying the D. Also you absolutely have to establish the passing game to open the run when the Eagles are stacking the box. This loss is on execution and not play calling.

I've already asked about that but I am with GolfingGuy on this one. Gilbride is the Rodney Dangerfield of this team. No matter how well the Giants O does most posters still want him gone while the D has a bad game and nobody is waiting to run Spagnuolo out of town. Apparently Eli become a QB and the Giants winning a SB and then going to 11-2, when the Giants historically choke after the SB, has nothing to do with Gilbride and neither do the O's top 10 stats. Westbrook killed the Giants for 200 combined yards and nobody is crucifying the D. Also you absolutely have to establish the passing game to open the run when the Eagles are stacking the box. This loss is on execution and not play calling.

Why crucify the defense? Last time we gave up 31 points to this same team. This time we held them to 20, and thanks to a ST td our offense only needed to score 14 points. We would not have even gotten the late TD if not for prevent mode.

Yeah there was poor execution from the offense, but to say it's just that and not playcalling as well is a stretch. The wind was so bad it was a miracle there weren't at least two picks. The smart move would've been to utilize the league's number one running game when we were still in it.

:confused: I think you've got it backwards. We forced 3 punts and a FG on their first four possesions, with a blocked fg to show for our own offensive efforts. Our defense got tired cause they were on the field all day. We earned about 9 first downs, and 4 or 5 of those were gimmes against prevent defense. Our offense stank up the joint. No excuses.

Maybe one reason they were on the field all game was because they couldn't stop them on third down.

Obviously the O wasn't going to be as great as they've been all year with the conditions and playing a good defense, but the D gave them zero chance to get going.

Why crucify the defense? Last time we gave up 31 points to this same team. This time we held them to 20, and thanks to a ST td our offense only needed to score 14 points. We would not have even gotten the late TD if not for prevent mode.

Yeah there was poor execution from the offense, but to say it's just that and not playcalling as well is a stretch. The wind was so bad it was a miracle there weren't at least two picks. The smart move would've been to utilize the league's number one running game when we were still in it.

Held them to 20? They were within distance of two 30 yard field goals that we blocked. They imposed their will on us with the running game and dump offs all game long.

The D played like shit yesterday.

Maybe one reason they were on the field all game was because they couldn't stop them on third down.

Obviously the O wasn't going to be as great as they've been all year with the conditions and playing a good defense, but the D gave them zero chance to get going.

Thats the thing, we were running the ball effectively, early in the game we were killing them in time of possession, we were running the ball well up the middle, I'm not even all that miffed at the running the ball outside the tackles, because thats where Jabobs earns his pay check, but then all we saw was Eli's passes sailing in the wind and they kept throwing.

Like I said, we forced 3 punts and a fg in their first four possesions. All we needed from the O was 14 pts.

And yes 20 pts allowed. I didn't realize blocked fg's equated to poor defense. Are there some mystery pts somewhere I've missed?

Like I said, we forced 3 punts and a fg in their first four possesions. All we needed from the O was 14 pts.

And yes 20 pts allowed. I didn't realize blocked fg's equated to poor defense. Are there some mystery pts somewhere I've missed?

Weren't the Eagles like 66% on 3rd downs. The O may not have played great but why is Gilbride always crucified when the D is also outplayed but no Spagnuolo comments by anybody. I didn't see any Spagnuolo get lost when the Giants are scoring 30 points and still winning close games or after Cleveland. The fact of the matter is that Westbrook the Giant Killer showed up and played well.

If they made the two FGs then it's 26 points. In reality that has nothing to do with the defense. The defense failed to do its job by letting the Eagles drive to our 15. The two blocked FGs has to do with special teams.

How about to open the second half? We get a shot in the arm to end the first half from the Dockery return, the Eagles get the ball against the wind. They drove down to our 14 and took 7 minutes off the clock. We eventually blocked the field goal, but did the D do its job? No. If they got a three and out against the wind we would've started the drive at our own 40 with the wind. Instead they wasted half the quarter.

14 points against a tough defense in those conditions isn't very likely. This offense is good but not THAT good.

Weren't the Eagles like 66% on 3rd downs. The O may not have played great but why is Gilbride always crucified when the D is also outplayed but no Spagnuolo comments by anybody. I didn't see any Spagnuolo get lost when the Giants are scoring 30 points and still winning close games or after Cleveland. The fact of the matter is that Westbrook the Giant Killer showed up and played well.

Some of us have never liked the guy. I've already said I don't want him fired, but I do want him to 'find a better job'.

That's not exactly cruicifying the guy. You defenders could at least acknowledge his head-scratching moments. Which there are quite a few of.

Despite the Giant Killer showing up, the defense and special teams gave the offense more than enough opportunities to win the game. I'm not in any manner saying they played good, but we're talking about 20 pts. I don't see how you guys can defend Gil by referring to our potent offense and their high ppg, and in the same thread put blame on the defense who didn't give up more than our ppg avg. :confused: . I mean our seasonal avg for ppg is 28.2 vs 17.4 allowed for christsake. We gave up an extra 2.6 pts.

Spags called a poor game in Cleveland. At least he didn't adjust to their offense. That's about the only game I can think of where he's faltered all the way back to the first two he had in command. As far as giving up 30 pts, one of those teams was the Eagles, whom we just held to 20. There's only one more, the Browns.

If they made the two FGs then it's 26 points. In reality that has nothing to do with the defense. The defense failed to do its job by letting the Eagles drive to our 15. The two blocked FGs has to do with special teams.

How about to open the second half? We get a shot in the arm to end the first half from the Dockery return, the Eagles get the ball against the wind. They drove down to our 14 and took 7 minutes off the clock. We eventually blocked the field goal, but did the D do its job? No. If they got a three and out against the wind we would've started the drive at our own 40 with the wind. Instead they wasted half the quarter.

you're right, b. that opening drive was a killer. but once we did get the ball in that Q we showed no urgency. probably should have been in a hurry up at that point. all in all though, you got to give the eagles credit for playing a very smart game. it was vintage mcnabb doing the things that eli can't do. crisp short passing and occasionally keeping a drive alive with his legs.

14 points against a tough defense in those conditions isn't very likely. This offense is good but not THAT good.

lmao dude if if's and buts were candy and nuts.....

FG are forced you know. No one says fuck the TD let's go for a fg unless they have to. And even FG's inside the 30 are not gimme's. Any Giants fan should be well aware of this. I did not try to give the defense credit for the blocks. I was talking strictly first four possesions. How many does it take to score 14 pts?

If you want to talk about the blocks fine. Our special teams pitched in along with the defense to give us an opportunity to win. What did the O do with those chances?

You don't have a freaking leg to stand on here. The defense definately did not play good, but sure as hell played good enough to give our O a chance to win. No question.

The conditions were bad indeed but it didn't keep the Eagles from scoring 20, and both our offense and defense are better than theirs. The problem, if you'd take five to forget about defending Gil, was the play calling. They called smart plays per the conditions and we did not.

lmao dude if if's and buts were candy and nuts.....

FG are forced you know. No one says fuck the TD let's go for a fg unless they have to. And even FG's inside the 30 are not gimme's. Any Giants fan should be well aware of this. I did not try to give the defense credit for the blocks. I was talking strictly first four possesions. How many does it take to score 14 pts?

If you want to talk about the blocks fine. Our special teams pitched in along with the defense to give us an opportunity to win. What did the O do with those chances?

You don't have a freaking leg to stand on here. The defense definately did not play good, but sure as hell played good enough to give our O a chance to win. No question.

The conditions were bad indeed but it didn't keep the Eagles from scoring 20, and both our offense and defense are better than theirs. The problem, if you'd take five to forget about defending Gil, was the play calling. They called smart plays per the conditions and we did not.

Did I not say Gilbride called a bad game? Quote me where I said he called a good game. Quote me where I said the offense played well and deserves no blame.

I commented on how it was tough for our O to get in a rhythm based on the fact our D played like shit especially in the second half and you've somehow spun it into me saying our D was the only bad thing about the game.

A 30 yard field goal is considered an easy kick. The defense allowed Akers to get into position to get two easy kicks. Kudos for stopping them in the red zone, that still does not mean they did their job on those drives.

you're right, b. that opening drive was a killer. but once we did get the ball in that Q we showed no urgency. probably should have been in a hurry up at that point. all in all though, you got to give the eagles credit for playing a very smart game. it was vintage mcnabb doing the things that eli can't do. crisp short passing and occasionally keeping a drive alive with his legs

Honestly I didn't expect a hurry up when it was still 10-7 because that would go against what the Giants have been doing the last three years. I was pretty pissed about how we came out after the 40 yard TD pass to Westy. We needed to pick up the tempo because a) we were down by two scores b) we had no offensive momentum at all. That was the time for the hurry up.

Did I not say Gilbride called a bad game? Quote me where I said he called a good game. Quote me where I said the offense played well and deserves no blame.

I commented on how it was tough for our O to get in a rhythm based on the fact our D played like shit especially in the second half and you've somehow spun it into me saying our D was the only bad thing about the game.

A 30 yard field goal is considered an easy kick. The defense allowed Akers to get into position to get two easy kicks. Kudos for stopping them in the red zone, that still does not mean they did their job on those drives.

Yes you said Gil called a bad game and followed it up with 'the offense couldn't get into rythym because of the defense.'

To me, that sounds like you're pointing the finger at the defense for the offensive woes. If I'm wrong, my apologies, but that's exactly how you're coming off.

You're even going so far as to say drives by Philly that netted ZERO pts were examples of poor play by the defense.

The defense had to stop them on 3rd down to force a fg attempt, and our ST's came through big time.

A 30 yarder is easy, but not in those winds and it's certainly not a gimme. All of which means NOTHING because they were BLOCKED.

I'd be right there with you, if you wanted to bitch about the D putting 11 in the box and giving up two big TD's to Westbrook. Or the fact that Pierce was in man coverage with Westbrook. Or all the arm tackling.

But blaming them for the lack of rythym offensively is crazy talk.

Each team had 9 possesions in this game (if you throw out Philly's kneel down drive). We had the ball for the majority of the first half, they had the majority of the second. Our offense played poorly in both.

Oh for fuck's sake, here.

Our defense managed TWO 3 and outs the entire game. We only had 3. The difference is the long drives they had from the second quarter on. Even without allowing the Eagles to score in the third quarter, they wasted 7 minutes of time when the Giant's offense had an advantage due to the weather, and left the offense at their own 24 yard-line ONLY because the kick was blocked. Otherwise, a miss would have left them at the 16. That's right after halftime. No excuses, the defense blew it in the 3rd quarter.

Hell, a couple of shorter drives, and we start at better field position. Then maybe a few of those 4th and whatever attempts turn into field goal attempts, and we're talking a different story.

Incidently, why is nobody complaining about those? We have the best directional punter on the planet...we could have had them playing in their own end of the field the whole afternoon.

This complaining about Gilbride when the defense was just as bad, if not worse, is horseshit.

This was Gilbride's first BAD game in a while. He'd been very good for most of the season despite everyone bitching about him.

And like GG said it's hard to call a solid offensive game when the defense was giving up 3rd down conversions 66% of the time. Their D was fresh, our O couldn't get into a rhythm.

As head of the Kill Gilbride Club at the start of the year even I have to agree with this.

Oh for fuck's sake, here.

Our defense managed TWO 3 and outs the entire game. We only had 3. The difference is the long drives they had from the second quarter on. Even without allowing the Eagles to score in the third quarter, they wasted 7 minutes of time when the Giant's offense had an advantage due to the weather, and left the offense at their own 24 yard-line ONLY because the kick was blocked. Otherwise, a miss would have left them at the 16. That's right after halftime. No excuses, the defense blew it in the 3rd quarter.

Hell, a couple of shorter drives, and we start at better field position. Then maybe a few of those 4th and whatever attempts turn into field goal attempts, and we're talking a different story.

Incidently, why is nobody complaining about those? We have the best directional punter on the planet...we could have had them playing in their own end of the field the whole afternoon.

This complaining about Gilbride when the defense was just as bad, if not worse, is horseshit.

I hate repeating myself, but here we go. The defense did not play up to par. Having said that for the 3rd or 4th time in this thread, they did WITHOUT A DOUBT, play good enough to give us a chance to win.

You honestly want me to believe that our offense is incapable of putting 14 pts on the board? Really?

If I had told you that we were gonna hold the Eagles to 20 pts, 99.9% of the people here would've chalked it up as a win.

3 and outs do not go on the scoreboard fish.

We gave up 2.6 more pts than our pts allowed avg for the year. The offense fell 21.2 pts short of their avg. In the first half, we threw the ball on 1st down 5 times. 4 of those were incomplete with one 5 yard completion. Every single one of those 1st down passes was followed by a run on 2nd and long.

All of them. God forbid we acknowledge the pattern, and if it's predictable to the guy watching at home imagine how easy it was for the Eagles.

In the first half, our defense was still playing. Our offense NEVER showed. NEVER. We had more first downs off of penalties in the first half than we did from the run (2) or pass (1), and yet we kept chucking it down the field into the swirling winds.

AGAIN, OUR DEFENSE DID NOT PLAY WELL, but to suggest they played worse than the offense is mind boggling to me.

I hate repeating myself, but here we go. The defense did not play up to par. Having said that for the 3rd or 4th time in this thread, they did WITHOUT A DOUBT, play good enough to give us a chance to win.

You honestly want me to believe that our offense is incapable of putting 14 pts on the board? Really?

If I had told you that we were gonna hold the Eagles to 20 pts, 99.9% of the people here would've chalked it up as a win.

3 and outs do not go on the scoreboard fish.

We gave up 2.6 more pts than our pts allowed avg for the year. The offense fell 21.2 pts short of their avg. In the first half, we threw the ball on 1st down 5 times. 4 of those were incomplete with one 5 yard completion. Every single one of those 1st down passes was followed by a run on 2nd and long.

All of them. God forbid we acknowledge the pattern, and if it's predictable to the guy watching at home imagine how easy it was for the Eagles.

In the first half, our defense was still playing. Our offense NEVER showed. NEVER. We had more first downs off of penalties in the first half than we did from the run (2) or pass (1), and yet we kept chucking it down the field into the swirling winds.

AGAIN, OUR DEFENSE DID NOT PLAY WELL, but to suggest they played worse than the offense is mind boggling to me.

3 and outs do, however, have an impact in the field position game. If you keep forcing them while your offense even gets a single first down, eventually you will be starting ever closer to the opponent's end zone. Then drives of 20-30 yards gets you points. We had 5 of those in this game, 3 for over 40 yards, and I'm not including the TD drive. In weather conditions like Sunday, this is essential to gain an advantage. We FAILED to do that in all but two series the entire game. Worse, when we REALLY needed it, at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, with the defense having been off the field for halftime, they still couldn't do it. That was a disaster, and there is no sugar-coating it.

Under normal conditions, yes, 9 out of 10 times we beat the Eagles holding them to 20 points. Were the conditions normal Sunday? In that kind of weather, 20 points is a ridiculous amount. They held nothing. And if not for two blocked field goals, it would have been worse.

I don't really care how we got first downs--the fact of the matter was that we did. Look at the chart I linked to. Did the offense play up to it's high standards (and notice that we can actually use that phrase?)? Of course not. But the defense wasn't exactly helping things, either. And yet it's Gilbride's fault, not Spagnuolo's.

I don't see your point on the pattern. Most teams run after a pass on first down, especially after an incompletion. Would you rather he throw again on second down? Another incompletion, or god forbid a sack, and you are looking at 3rd and 10 at best. 2nd and 5, with our running game, why wouldn't you run on second down?

I guess you want to run on every first down? That wouldn't be predictable... :rolleyes:

If you want to blame a coach, blame Coughlin for going for it on 4th and yards, instead of burying Philly deep in their own zone.

3 and outs do, however, have an impact in the field position game. If you keep forcing them while your offense even gets a single first down, eventually you will be starting ever closer to the opponent's end zone. Then drives of 20-30 yards gets you points. We had 5 of those in this game, 3 for over 40 yards, and I'm not including the TD drive. In weather conditions like Sunday, this is essential to gain an advantage. We FAILED to do that in all but two series the entire game. Worse, when we REALLY needed it, at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, with the defense having been off the field for halftime, they still couldn't do it. That was a disaster, and there is no sugar-coating it.

Under normal conditions, yes, 9 out of 10 times we beat the Eagles holding them to 20 points. Were the conditions normal Sunday? In that kind of weather, 20 points is a ridiculous amount. They held nothing. And if not for two blocked field goals, it would have been worse.

I don't really care how we got first downs--the fact of the matter was that we did. Look at the chart I linked to. Did the offense play up to it's high standards (and notice that we can actually use that phrase?)? Of course not. But the defense wasn't exactly helping things, either. And yet it's Gilbride's fault, not Spagnuolo's.

I don't see your point on the pattern. Most teams run after a pass on first down, especially after an incompletion. Would you rather he throw again on second down? Another incompletion, or god forbid a sack, and you are looking at 3rd and 10 at best. 2nd and 5, with our running game, why wouldn't you run on second down?

I guess you want to run on every first down? That wouldn't be predictable... :rolleyes:

If you want to blame a coach, blame Coughlin for going for it on 4th and yards, instead of burying Philly deep in their own zone.

I agree about the field position, and in weather like Sunday it's important. But I think you're completely ignoring the fact we came into this game leading the league in rushing. The wind plays no factor in running the football. You know this, I know this, the Eagles know it (they ran the ball 41 times), but Gil completely ignores it in favor of a 'balanced attack'.

The offense also has some responsibility in field position. If they don't move the ball, we give the opposing offense better field position. You should care where the first downs came from. While they helped us move the ball in the first half, it wasn't something we could count on in the second.

I can't help but wonder why the Eagles could move the ball against our better defense, while our better offense couldn't against their def. The wind? ofcourse. But both teams had to factor that in, and only one team adjusted to it with more running and less deep passing. What matters in the end is what was on the scoreboard. While we held Philly more than 6 pts below their season avg, we couldn't put up the 20+ they've been allowing everyone else.

It's funny to me, that your prime example of our defensive ineptitude is the first drive of the 3rd qtr. A drive that ended with ZERO pts for the Eagles. If we had been able to score one more TD, we'd all be talking about how huge it was for the defense to stop that drive when it did, force the fg, and for the ST's to block it.

Do I want to run on every first down? No. I want to run 90% to set up 2nd and short instead of 2nd and long (not to meantion a much more effective pass now and then). Feasible considering our run game don't you think? That is what a run first team does, and that's what this team was built for.

On second and short you can do anything without worry. A deep pass attempt still leaves you at 3rd and short.

Do I want to pass on every 2nd and long? No. But it is the smart play, and it should be at least 60/40 pass. And those particular 2nd down plays I spoke of left us in 3rd and long situations every single time.

I have no problem giving Spags some blame here. I didn't even create this thread (about Gil) or any other.

Spags, IMO, is to blame for the two TD's. The defense itself looked like pop warner when trying to tackle. But the simple fact the defense and ST's kept us in the game, and we couldn't score 14 pts, even with the gift vs prevent.

I agree about the field position, and in weather like Sunday it's important. But I think you're completely ignoring the fact we came into this game leading the league in rushing. The wind plays no factor in running the football. You know this, I know this, the Eagles know it (they ran the ball 41 times), but Gil completely ignores it in favor of a 'balanced attack'.

The offense also has some responsibility in field position. If they don't move the ball, we give the opposing offense better field position. You should care where the first downs came from. While they helped us move the ball in the first half, it wasn't something we could count on in the second.

I can't help but wonder why the Eagles could move the ball against our better defense, while our better offense couldn't against their def. The wind? ofcourse. But both teams had to factor that in, and only one team adjusted to it with more running and less deep passing. What matters in the end is what was on the scoreboard. While we held Philly more than 6 pts below their season avg, we couldn't put up the 20+ they've been allowing everyone else.

It's funny to me, that your prime example of our defensive ineptitude is the first drive of the 3rd qtr. A drive that ended with ZERO pts for the Eagles. If we had been able to score one more TD, we'd all be talking about how huge it was for the defense to stop that drive when it did, force the fg, and for the ST's to block it.

Do I want to run on every first down? No. I want to run 90% to set up 2nd and short instead of 2nd and long (not to meantion a much more effective pass now and then). Feasible considering our run game don't you think? That is what a run first team does, and that's what this team was built for.

On second and short you can do anything without worry. A deep pass attempt still leaves you at 3rd and short.

Do I want to pass on every 2nd and long? No. But it is the smart play, and it should be at least 60/40 pass. And those particular 2nd down plays I spoke of left us in 3rd and long situations every single time.

I have no problem giving Spags some blame here. I didn't even create this thread (about Gil) or any other.

Spags, IMO, is to blame for the two TD's. The defense itself looked like pop warner when trying to tackle. But the simple fact the defense and ST's kept us in the game, and we couldn't score 14 pts, even with the gift vs prevent.

Nes, how did the defense keep us in the game when the Eagles offense held the ball for all of 2 minutes in the 3rd quarter?. I could understand maybe the 4th quarter when they'd be more tired, but the 3rd, and the eagles playing against the wind? We needed to get them off the field early and get decent field position and we did neither. Defense didn't do squat overall.

The last Westbrook TD was because our 2 rookies went to cover one wide receiver and left the entire right side of the filed open.

Nes, how did the defense keep us in the game when the Eagles offense held the ball for all of 2 minutes in the 3rd quarter?. I could understand maybe the 4th quarter when they'd be more tired, but the 3rd, and the eagles playing against the wind? We needed to get them off the field early and get decent field position and we did neither. Defense didn't do squat overall.

The last Westbrook TD was because our 2 rookies went to cover one wide receiver and left the entire right side of the filed open.

Boo, we had two blocked fg's. Someone had to stop the Eagles on third down to force the fg attempts.

Like I said, if we had scored just one more TD, we'd be talking about how huge that was, not to mention two other drives netting only fg's. That could've been 28 more pts that would've put us far out of the game, instead it was 6, which is exactly what we lost by.

We were in it up until the onside kick.