SportsWrath

Any news on Kiwi?

mastershake

KIWANUKA HOLDS THE LINE

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

giantnotes.gif

Posted: 4:39 am

September 5, 2008

Anyone wondering how Mathias Kiwanuka Mathias Kiwanuka t.gif would fare in his first start since his recent move to defensive end from strong-side linebacker can stop wondering. He did just fine in last night's 16-7 win over the Redskins.

But he did give the Giantst.gif a huge scare. On the final play, Kiwanuka went down in a pile and stayed down long enough for everyone around him to be concerned. He seemed to hurt his left ankle, which is the one he injured last season when he broke his left leg in a game in Detroit. New York Giants

"I felt somebody on top of me at the end of the play," Kiwauka said. "I'm good. I'll be fine. It scared me a little bit, because it was the same foot, almost exactly the same area. You don't know exactly what you're going to get until you see the X-ray."

Kiwanuka took the place of Osi Umenyiora Osi Umenyiora t.gif (gone for the season following knee surgery) at right end and looked completely at home in his new/old position. He stopped Clinton Portis for a short gain on Washington's first possession, hit Ladell Betts for no gain later in the first quarter in the second quarter combined with Fred Robbins to stop Portis for no gain on third-and-1.

Early in the third quarter, Kiwanuka pursued Portis and sent him backward for a two-yard loss.

Even though the crowd was in a festive mood, that mood changed dramatically when co-owner Steve Tisch walked to mid-field at halftime to make a Giants contribution to Stand Up to Cancer.

Tisch was booed lustily from fans no doubt incensed by the thought of personal seat licenses. The booing continued until Christie Brinkley approached the microphone.

Jim Zorn made his head-coaching debut for the Redskins. "My first game was very frustrating," Zorn said . . . Rookie S Kenny Phillips, working in the nickel package, made his first play of impact in the third quarter when he dropped WR Devin Thomas one-yard short of a first down after a five-yard completion.

Gerris Wilkinson started at weak side LB but rookie Bryan Kehl was on the field much more often.

Kiwi ended the game with a bit of a limp after that cheap takedown from Chris Samuels? Does anyone know if Kiwi's ok?

Chris Samuels is a piece of shit. A giant smelly turd lieing on the ground.

One of the cheapest shots I have seen in a while.

On the bright side the dirtiest player on that team , LeRon Landry, got knocked silly by Jacobs which really made me smile.

On the bright side the dirtiest player on that team , LeRon Landry, got knocked silly by Jacobs which really made me smile.

Yea, that was one to remember :)

They should start collection film clips of all the players that tried to tackle Jacobs high and ended up being driven backwards like getting hit by a car. A montage of those hits would be great. Of course, the blowback tackle attempts by Woodson in the Packers playoff game and the bowling ball run in the superbowl would have to be on it. And oh yeah, remember last year when Smoot tried to stop Jacobs. He was carried off the field.

Gotta feel a little for Landry as he wasn't trying to take him high, he was actually in a pretty good tackling position (which can be rare to see in the NFL). Brandon just reacted perfectly.

Kiwi was a frickin' beast last night though. I think we can all rest easy about his transition back to DE. Great, great athlete. Now if we can just teach McDougle not to charge into the kicker...

Yea, that was one to remember :)

Landry won't remember it. ;)

Big relief on Kiwi. No sacks for him (note to Spags - the 4 aces package doesn't work without 4 aces, keep Tuck at DE most of the time), but I think he had 3 tackles for loss. He played well. Samuels did handle him most of the night, but there's no shame in that, Samuels is a damn good (but dirty) OT.

Gotta feel a little for Landry as he wasn't trying to take him high, he was actually in a pretty good tackling position (which can be rare to see in the NFL). Brandon just reacted perfectly.

Kiwi was a frickin' beast last night though. I think we can all rest easy about his transition back to DE. Great, great athlete. Now if we can just teach McDougle not to charge into the kicker...

Actually if you look at the play he was just inches away from blocking the punt and he got a really good push up the middle. The thing was he was in full force going forward and you cant expect any guy that size to be able to pull up so soon. It's the same as the D-Line running into the QB after he let go of the ball and getting a roughing the passer, sometimes those big guys just cant pull up when going full speed.

Landry won't remember it. ;)

Big relief on Kiwi. No sacks for him (note to Spags - the 4 aces package doesn't work without 4 aces, keep Tuck at DE most of the time), but I think he had 3 tackles for loss. He played well. Samuels did handle him most of the night, but there's no shame in that, Samuels is a damn good (but dirty) OT.

Kiwi showed great pursuit on the back end away from the run. It's great that offenses will have to account for that pursuit when they run towards Tuck.

Tuck was a fucking beast, as usual.

Ross, Webster, and Dockery all looked great against the deep ball.

CAN'T WAIT to see Phillips plugged in.

Actually if you look at the play he was just inches away from blocking the punt and he got a really good push up the middle. The thing was he was in full force going forward and you cant expect any guy that size to be able to pull up so soon. It's the same as the D-Line running into the QB after he let go of the ball and getting a roughing the passer, sometimes those big guys just cant pull up when going full speed.

That's why he has to learn to control his tragectory better. It was a great effort just poorly executed.

If I had my way it'd only be a penalty if you swept the grounded leg.

I don't think Samuel did it on purpose... You can tell the moment Kiwi grabbed his ankle Samuel was sorry and asked if he was ok. If Samuel was known for constantly taking down player (Ala Roy ' I Horse collar tackle' Williams) then it would be different. But the fact that he was wooried after the play make me believe it wasn't intentional.

I don't think Samuel did it on purpose... You can tell the moment Kiwi grabbed his ankle Samuel was sorry and asked if he was ok. If Samuel was known for constantly taking down player (Ala Roy ' I Horse collar tackle' Williams) then it would be different. But the fact that he was wooried after the play make me believe it wasn't intentional.

It was a cheap shot. No question about it. Theres no sympathy for that. <_<