Story Highlights

* A marketing expert said the deal could bring in $10 million to $15 million

* Plans call for a total of five major sponsors for the new stadium

* The stadium will eventually be named for one of the five sponsors

Decrease font Decrease font

Enlarge font Enlarge font

ADVERTISEMENT

Click here to find out more!

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- MetLife Inc. became the first of five major sponsors for the new Meadowlands stadium the New York Giants and Jets football teams will call home.

The deal was announced Monday, with no word on how much the insurance and financial services company will pay the teams for the advertising space.

A marketing expert said the deal could bring in $10 million to $15 million annually.

"They will be getting at least that much because they will be getting so much area inside the stadium," Deborah Cohn, a marketing professor at Touro College in New York, said Monday. "When people see their advertisements on TV, they will stand out."

Mark Lamping, president and chief executive officer of New Meadowlands Stadium Co., the teams' joint venture that is building and will operate the stadium, said there will be five major sponsors for the 82,500-seat stadium that is scheduled to open in 2010. The facility will be co-owned by the Giants and Jets, who both currently play at Giants Stadium.

As a so-called "cornerstone partner," MetLife will have the exclusive naming rights to brand one of the four main entrances to the stadium as well as one of the four scoreboards inside it.

The stadium will be named after one of the five sponsors, whose logo will appear both outside and inside the $1.3 billion stadium that is being build adjacent to Giants Stadium in East Rutherford. Those naming rights could have an annual pricetag of at least $20 million.

MetLife also sponsors three blimps for sports events and television coverage of major PGA and USGA golf events, Major League Baseball and NFL games.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

I had not heard they were going to name it after some corporation. That makes me :furious:

JetBlue Stadium could work well.

No. It's bad enough we have to share a stadium with the shitty jets and their piece of shit fans. Fuck the jets having their name in the name of the stadium, let alone going before BLUE. BLUEpuddlejumper is the only take on it I would accept.

No. It's bad enough we have to share a stadium with the shitty jets and their piece of shit fans. Fuck the jets having their name in the name of the stadium, let alone going before BLUE. BLUEpuddlejumper is the only take on it I would accept.

How about Joseph "Blue" Palasky Stadium?

blue0xl.jpg

Dammit all to hell i am mad some sponsors name is gonna be attached to this, lets move out before we move in and just give the whole damn deal to the Jets. We keep the old Giants stadium to ourselves, i have no problem with that

I see I've created some uproar with my JetBlue comment. I hate the Jets as much as the next guy, it just seemed to work well.

So I have one last Suggestion...... BLUE Point Brewery!! From Patchogue, Long Island

BLUE + Brew = :)

If you're so outraged we should pass a hat around and put an offer in for "Sportswrath Stadium".

Eff that, we're making the Sportswrath Shitgoose football team, soon, we need to name our own stadium Sportswrath Stadium.

VG- Offensive Tackle

So Cal Dub- Offensive Guard

Storm- Defensive Back

ETC

Eff that, we're making the Sportswrath Shitgoose football team, soon, we need to name our own stadium Sportswrath Stadium.

VG- Offensive Tackle

Storm- Defensive Back

ETC

I'm Tight End mother fucker, I'm big but fast with good hands. Too much talent to waste on the line. :brooding:

VG- Offensive Tackle

Storm- Defensive Back

ETC

Where ya got me playing? And dont say LEFT OUT. <_<

Where ya got me playing? And dont say LEFT OUT. <_<

I remember someone compared you to Antonio Pierce, so I say MLB.

Money will be QB.

Midas can be running back.

GateB-WR

Golfinguy- WR

Treehugger-FS

That logo was funny as hell, too. Brown goose, lol.

Y'know, this pisses me off more than most. This past spring some bitch caused about $4,000 damage to my car. I'm still fighting, you guessed it, MetLife to get my fucking money back...

That's all I need when I'm watching a Giants game is to remind me of that little Snoopy fucker. Damn that piece of shit and his fucking blimp. I'd like to watch both burn endlessly.

Money will be QB.

GateB-WR

Golfinguy- WR

Treehugger-FS

Holy shit, i was gonna try to recreate it but decided to go through photobucket one last time, I must have missed it the first time I went through.

Ladies and gentlemen......

The Sportswrath Shitgooses Team logo

preschool21111.gif

Money will be QB.

GateB-WR

Golfinguy- WR

Treehugger-FS

NICE!! I'll take middle LB, and I'll wreak havoc on opposing Mess. Board offenses!!

NICE!! I'll take middle LB, and I'll wreak havoc on opposing Mess. Board offenses!!

That was me who said you look like him, and I stand by it.

I'd make a good coverage safety. I would say WR because once I have the ball in my hands I'm hard to tackle. Not so much speed as much as just hard to tackle. The problem is my nickname is stone-hands. Easiest passes bounce right off while a hard catch I'll grab.

I say coverage safety cause I'm a little guy and if VG came barreling at me the best I could do is a Sam Madison-style taking out his legs move.