SportsWrath

Strahan will stay and play............for 8 Million

BleedinBlue

Michael Strahan: $8M or goodbye

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, May 16th 2008, 12:54 AM

Michael Strahan doesn't appear to be close to announcing his future plans, but there is something the Giants could do to push things along.

They could give him $8 million.

That's the amount Strahan hopes to get from the Giants for what would likely be his final season with the team - and possibly in the NFL - if he decides to return to play in 2008, according to two sources familiar with his situation.

That would be double the $4 million salary he's due this season in the final year of the seven-year, $46 million deal he signed in 2002.

In a meeting with Giants' officials in March, Strahan was told, "We'll take care of you" financially, according to a source, but the Giants weren't specific about those plans. According to one source, Strahan has been told the team is willing to go as high as $6 million for one season.

Strahan's agent, Tony Agnone, said money has not been discussed.

The $8 million Strahan is seeking isn't an arbitrary number, either. It's the 2008 salary of Miami's Jason Taylor, a defensive end in a comparable situation. The 33-year-old Taylor is obviously nearing the end of his career after 11 seasons, though he did have 11 sacks in 2007. Strahan, 36, has played 15 seasons and had nine sacks last year.

Speaking at a charity event in Manhattan on Wednesday night, Strahan insisted money isn't an issue, especially since he knows he could retire and still have a lucrative broadcasting career. "I can make money doing other stuff that means when I wake up on (Monday) I'm not sore, and I can have more time to enjoy life and be with my family," he said.

That may be true, but this isn't the first time Strahan has sought more money from the Giants. He asked for a bump in his salary last offseason too, before he skipped training camp and began contemplating retirement. The Giants refused to renegotiate his deal then, though co-owner John Mara has said he's willing to consider doing so now.

It's not clear whether Strahan is willing to play for less than $8 million, nor is it clear whether he'd be willing to come to training camp as a condition for getting that much. Strahan, according to a source, has not yet been given permission to miss camp again this year without the fear of being fined. That could factor into whether he decides to return, too.

WYNN, WIN: Veteran DE Renaldo Wynn, who was a first-round draft pick of Tom Coughlin's Jacksonville Jaguars in 1997, worked out for the Giants on Wednesday. Though he has not signed yet, the Giants did clear room for him by cutting DE Antonio Reynolds, an undrafted free agent out of Tennessee.

When I said this last year that the Giants should at least extend him some sort of increase on his salary, I was told that he should deal with the contract he has and honor it. Chances are now Strahan will get a 2 year extension with some guarenteed money and some relief regarding training camp.

I'll flip-flop from last year, when I was rabidly against it. Frankly, I was wrong then. I'm not buying into the "8 million or gone" bit, I actually think he's trying to make up his mind.

He showed a lot last year, both in character and on the field, and I won't say a word against him this time.

Strahan had a monster game in the Super Bowl this year. He's the all-time sack leader for the Giants and he's good for the young guys... and he can still play. Rotate Tuck in more and let Strahan be a situational/role player to keep him fresh.

I agree with 7 mil and one-a-days.

I was ready to say goodbye to Strahan last year and say hello to Justin Tuck. I haven't changed my opinion on that. Strahan can finish out his contract without the extra cash or go ride a desk for espn.

Michael Strahan: $8M or goodbye

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, May 16th 2008, 12:54 AM

Michael Strahan doesn't appear to be close to announcing his future plans, but there is something the Giants could do to push things along.

They could give him $8 million.

That's the amount Strahan hopes to get from the Giants for what would likely be his final season with the team - and possibly in the NFL - if he decides to return to play in 2008, according to two sources familiar with his situation.

That would be double the $4 million salary he's due this season in the final year of the seven-year, $46 million deal he signed in 2002.

In a meeting with Giants' officials in March, Strahan was told, "We'll take care of you" financially, according to a source, but the Giants weren't specific about those plans. According to one source, Strahan has been told the team is willing to go as high as $6 million for one season.

Strahan's agent, Tony Agnone, said money has not been discussed.

The $8 million Strahan is seeking isn't an arbitrary number, either. It's the 2008 salary of Miami's Jason Taylor, a defensive end in a comparable situation. The 33-year-old Taylor is obviously nearing the end of his career after 11 seasons, though he did have 11 sacks in 2007. Strahan, 36, has played 15 seasons and had nine sacks last year.

Speaking at a charity event in Manhattan on Wednesday night, Strahan insisted money isn't an issue, especially since he knows he could retire and still have a lucrative broadcasting career. "I can make money doing other stuff that means when I wake up on (Monday) I'm not sore, and I can have more time to enjoy life and be with my family," he said.

That may be true, but this isn't the first time Strahan has sought more money from the Giants. He asked for a bump in his salary last offseason too, before he skipped training camp and began contemplating retirement. The Giants refused to renegotiate his deal then, though co-owner John Mara has said he's willing to consider doing so now.

It's not clear whether Strahan is willing to play for less than $8 million, nor is it clear whether he'd be willing to come to training camp as a condition for getting that much. Strahan, according to a source, has not yet been given permission to miss camp again this year without the fear of being fined. That could factor into whether he decides to return, too.

WYNN, WIN: Veteran DE Renaldo Wynn, who was a first-round draft pick of Tom Coughlin's Jacksonville Jaguars in 1997, worked out for the Giants on Wednesday. Though he has not signed yet, the Giants did clear room for him by cutting DE Antonio Reynolds, an undrafted free agent out of Tennessee.

i don't see anywhere in that article that shows he actually asked for 8 mill. actually, quotes from him and his agent say the opposite. reporters are creepy- this guy should go work for the boston herald.

I was ready to say goodbye to Strahan last year and say hello to Justin Tuck. I haven't changed my opinion on that. Strahan can finish out his contract without the extra cash or go ride a desk for espn.

My leanings too.

My leanings too.

Why? It's not your money and it's off the books next season, when it will actually matter...we're a better team with a defensive leader who still has something than without one.

o.k.. i'm a bit drunk. and strahan's my all time fav player. if he going to come back for 8million. just give it to him. gees, he was the soul of this team. If you ever own the DVD that came out for our super bowl win. you can actually tell how many times Strahan lead this time. He's always the first one to pump this team up. always the leader in the pack. he deserves the pay

Leaders retire, teams move on; ask Tiki. The Giants will have to find a way to win without Strahan. I like Strahan as mucha s everyone else, I would rather Strahan went out on top than comeback and have a bad season or worse and get hurt.

o.k.. i'm a bit drunk. and strahan's my all time fav player. if he going to come back for 8million. just give it to him. gees, he was the soul of this team. If you ever own the DVD that came out for our super bowl win. you can actually tell how many times Strahan lead this time. He's always the first one to pump this team up. always the leader in the pack. he deserves the pay

If he does come back for another year I would hope he doesn't get to skip training camp again. I love the guy but I wasn't a fan of him skipping training camp last season. Even if it's a decreased workload, he has to atleast show up IMO especially if the rumors are true that he wants that amount of money for one year.

Why? It's not your money and it's off the books next season, when it will actually matter...we're a better team with a defensive leader who still has something than without one.

Because I believe in honoring your word. The man signed a contract which was heavy on the front end. He's collected most of the cash, he's been rewarded. He needs to see it out.

He's one of my all-time favorites and I'd like to see him go out with some class.

Because I believe in honoring your word. The man signed a contract which was heavy on the front end. He's collected most of the cash, he's been rewarded. He needs to see it out.

He's one of my all-time favorites and I'd like to see him go out with some class.

That little frontloaded part is never mentioned when talking about contract issues...well extremely rarely is it mentioned. Lance Briggs has a 6 year contract that is heavily frontloaded. In three years he will complain he is underpaid and if you were to look at his payout for that year he probably will be underpaid. But that doesn't take into account the fact that he was overpaid the first 3 years.