SportsWrath

Terrell Thomas tells the Wfan that he's coming into camp

boohyah

to be a starter from day one.

he was on Benigno, had a great attitude, never been to New York in his life. Said on another interview that he matched up against Steve Smith in practice and shut him down.

He came off real well, if he's as good as he seemed confident, then we could be looking at an interesting situation, I certainly hope so.

He's liable to get more playing time this season than Phillips. He's a stud CB that has played both safety positions and has sub 4.4 speed and was the most physical CB in the draft. The only reason he wasn't taken as the first CB off the board was because he's had injuries due to his hard hits and it scared a few people off. That, and he only ran in the 4.5's at the combine even though he has repeatedly run much better times on different days including a couple in the low 4.3's.

He's had both shoulders operated on and trust me, having had shoulder surgery myself last month, that's a painful ordeal, but I'm told I'll be better than new in a few months and I know a lot of people who've had the same surgery and they all say they are better now than ever. Anyway, last year he was projected to be a top 10 pick this year, but fell only because of those shoulder operations.

He's going to be a good one. Hopefully, the injuries are behind him and he learns how to hit without hurting himself. We're going to see a lot of him this year. He'll play a lot of nickel and wouldn't be surprised to see him also play a little FS at times.

He's liable to get more playing time this season than Phillips. He's a stud CB that has played both safety positions and has sub 4.4 speed and was the most physical CB in the draft. The only reason he wasn't taken as the first CB off the board was because he's had injuries due to his hard hits and it scared a few people off. That, and he only ran in the 4.5's at the combine even though he has repeatedly run much better times on different days including a couple in the low 4.3's.

He's had both shoulders operated on and trust me, having had shoulder surgery myself last month, that's a painful ordeal, but I'm told I'll be better than new in a few months and I know a lot of people who've had the same surgery and they all say they are better now than ever. Anyway, last year he was projected to be a top 10 pick this year, but fell only because of those shoulder operations.

He's going to be a good one. Hopefully, the injuries are behind him and he learns how to hit without hurting himself. We're going to see a lot of him this year. He'll play a lot of nickel and wouldn't be surprised to see him also play a little FS at times.

4.5's??? Man, that dude is slow as a turtle!! :huh:

I heard there were some "off field" issues. any truth to that?

4.5's??? Man, that dude is slow as a turtle!! :huh:

I heard there were some "off field" issues. any truth to that?

I thought it was Manningham that had the issues. I haven't heard any about Thomas.

Don't know where you've heard that. I've read dozens of writeups on the guy and his character is stellar. His only problem (and a good one to have) is that he's overly physical in tackling opponents and likes to jaw it up with them. Regardless, it's a lot easier to tame down a wildfire then it is to light a fire under the unmotivated.

He has no off field character issues at all and a real old fashioned type football player who cherishes contact.

Smith isn't that speedy though, more of a possession receiver. He was never #1 @ USC, right?

Yup. Dwayne Jarrett was the #1 but Smith was pretty much the go to guy out of the receiving core IIRC.

Don't know where you've heard that. I've read dozens of writeups on the guy and his character is stellar. His only problem (and a good one to have) is that he's overly physical in tackling opponents and likes to jaw it up with them. Regardless, it's a lot easier to tame down a wildfire then it is to light a fire under the unmotivated.

He has no off field character issues at all and a real old fashioned type football player who cherishes contact.

Maybe Im mixing him up, but I thought he did. Good ! Sounds like a real keeper!

Gotta love the attitude. Confident, ready to rock and fuckin roll....I love it.

Shut his USC counterpart down, huh? Its early, but I like it.

Having a positive attitude is nice but I'm a big fan of letting your actions do the talking. I'm very happy about our draft... I can't wait for the season to start.

Smith isn't that speedy though, more of a possession receiver. He was never #1 @ USC, right?

Jarrett missed some time because of injuries and Smith stepped up big-time as the go-to guy.

I thing TT should be the FS, with KP as the SS

with Ross, Webster, Dockery as the CBs

all these guys are under 25 and talented

Well, according to Reese, Coughlin, and Ross, Terrell was brought in to play CB. Pete Carroll saw his future at CB as well, even though Thomas came to USC as a safety.

That said, what you'll continue to see with Spags is blurred distinctions between positions at all three levels. It's probably better to think of all those guys you mentioned as "defensive backs," and T2's versaility within the context of that philosophy was a critical motivation for drafting him. Same with Kenny Phillips.

For what it's worth, both Carroll and his players speak very highly of Terrell's character. Pete was also in NY during the draft and reiterated that the Giants were getting a steal...

T2 haha, nice.

That's his nickname. Inspired partially by his initials, partially by the Terminator series. Rumor has it that he's a big fan of Arnold's movies, though not necessarily his political acumen...

Well, according to Reese, Coughlin, and Ross, Terrell was brought in to play CB. Pete Carroll saw his future at CB as well, even though Thomas came to USC as a safety.

That said, what you'll continue to see with Spags is blurred distinctions between positions at all three levels. It's probably better to think of all those guys you mentioned as "defensive backs," and T2's versaility within the context of that philosophy was a critical motivation for drafting him. Same with Kenny Phillips.

ya but dont you think hed be better off at FS?

the kid can hit, play the run, is big, and were deep and young already at CB so why not put him there??

That's his nickname. Inspired partially by his initials, partially by the Terminator series. Rumor has it that he's a big fan of Arnold's movies, though not necessarily his political acumen...

yah, i figured, that's hilarious, I can see him becoming the Terminator if he steps up...I like his attitude/confidence/cockiness whatever you want to call it, about coming into camp and winning the job.

ya but dont you think hed be better off at FS?

the kid can hit, play the run, is big, and were deep and young already at CB so why not put him there??

You never know how someone will make the transition. He has the skills to do it, but it's much more complex than having the athletic talent. More imporant, he has the skills to play corner, and CBs are rarer commodities than safeties.

Plus, we are probably younger at safety than we are at corner. Madison and McQuarters are both 30+. Ross turns 26 in September, and if Webster has another good year (which isn't a foregone conclusion, despite how well played in the postseason), he'll cash in via free agency. That leaves us with Dockery and some fringe guys. Meanwhile, in addition to Phillips, we have Butler and Johnson at safety -- both of whom are young and highly regarded by the coaching staff. Butler is a UFA after the season, but he's a much more likely re-sign than Webster.

Most important, like I said, don't pay too much attention to the positions. We'll have linemen, linebackers, and defensive backs. Beyond that, the distinctions don't really fit traditional definitions. Versatility - that's the buzz word.

You never know how someone will make the transition. He has the skills to do it, but it's much more complex than having the athletic talent. More imporant, he has the skills to play corner, and CBs are rarer commodities than safeties.

Plus, we are probably younger at safety than we are at corner. Madison and McQuarters are both 30+. Ross turns 26 in September, and if Webster has another good year (which isn't a foregone conclusion, despite how well played in the postseason), he'll cash in via free agency. That leaves us with Dockery and some fringe guys. Meanwhile, in addition to Phillips, we have Butler and Johnson at safety -- both of whom are young and highly regarded by the coaching staff. Butler is a UFA after the season, but he's a much more likely re-sign than Webster.

Most important, like I said, don't pay too much attention to the positions. We'll have linemen, linebackers, and defensive backs. Beyond that, the distinctions don't really fit traditional definitions. Versatility - that's the buzz word.

I get the feeling Butler is going to come into camp all fired up. I watch his interview on the Giants Podcast and he looked pissed about the draft. Either way, I haven't heard about whether or not he signed the tender yet, but he needs to. Butler will play for a while in this league, he has some promise.

Anyway I wish we'd scrap the Thomas to safety nonsense. He was drafted a corner, play him at corner. He hasn't even played a snap yet.

I get the feeling Butler is going to come into camp all fired up. I watch his interview on the Giants Podcast and he looked pissed about the draft. Either way, I haven't heard about whether or not he signed the tender yet, but he needs to. Butler will play for a while in this league, he has some promise.

Anyway I wish we'd scrap the Thomas to safety nonsense. He was drafted a corner, play him at corner. He hasn't even played a snap yet.

I don't buy into the notion that somehow a player is going to come fired up just because... I mean they're playing at the highest level, if that doesn't fire you up, I don't know what is.

I'm very optimistic about Johnson starting at safety. I know I've only seen him play in a handful of plays but he showed flashes of brilliance. I can't wait to see how our D performs... lights out.

Will being pissed make him any faster?

yes i do like Butler and his size, but the only thing about him that worries me is that he lacks ideal speed which means that there is now way that him and Sammy Knight can be on the field at the same time.

I think Johnson has some upside to him but he is still a little raw, but i guess i can live with Thomas at CB if Butler or Johnson performs well.

yes i do like Butler and his size, but the only thing about him that worries me is that he lacks ideal speed which means that there is now way that him and Sammy Knight can be on the field at the same time.

I think Johnson has some upside to him but he is still a little raw, but i guess i can live with Thomas at CB if Butler or Johnson performs well.

Both Butler and Knight have had success playing safety without having to rely on top-notch speed. They're smart players and will almost certainly be on the field at the same time in certain packages. It's a decent bet that they enter the season as the starters.