SportsWrath

Tiki Losing His Spot on the TODAY Show?

BleedinBlue

Tiki should have just got in line behind TC and Eli. But instead, left for new glory and then didnt' keep his mouth shut about the team that supported him for years. I don't want to gloat, but Tiki pissed me off when he dissed Eli and complained about TC and then abandoned the team to become a media star. Anyway, here's a story on his troubles.

MORE EVIDENCE OF TIKI-LESS TODAY SHOW?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2008, 8:32 a.m.

Though this is hardly one of the hard-core football stories that we love to follow, the status of Tiki Barber on NBC’s Today show is compelling for the same reasons that we crane our necks when passing a car wreck.

Tiki retired from pro football because he intended to become a multimedia star, openly aspiring to be another Matt Lauer.

But when it comes to filling the position of co-host for the fourth hour of Today, the former New York Giants tailback who hopes to follow in the footsteps of Frank Gifford has been passed over in favor of Gifford’s wife.

On Monday, NBC announced that Kathie Lee Gifford will return to daytime television, teaming with Hoda Kotb to anchor the final hour of the show.

It would have been an ideal vehicle for grooming Tiki for bigger and better things at the network, and we suspect that the decision not to give the gig to Tiki was a factor in his exit from the show, if the rumors regarding his exit from the show are indeed true.

If Tiki loses his spot on the Today show, Espn/Fox/CBS/ sirius will all be on the phone within 5 minutes calling him. Tiki could work for MSG and Yes here in New York in a heartbeat. And if he doesn't work out on the Today show, he's still on Sunday night football. He's wriiten 2 books and children's books. And before all this he was already wealthy enough to never have to work another day in his life.

It's good to be Tiki.

I remember writing at the time Tiki left the Giants to join the Today show that his career with the Giants would last longer than his career on the Today show, looks like I was right...I felt at the time that Tiki was more interested in being a celebrity than he was in being a pro football player..

I remember writing at the time Tiki left the Giants to join the Today show that his career with the Giants would last longer than his career on the Today show, looks like I was right...I felt at the time that Tiki was more interested in being a celebrity than he was in being a pro football player..

Everyone here knows what I think of Tiki, I love the guy. But he looks SOOOO out of place on the Today show. Good choice by the network. Now, Tiki, stay in sports and stay away from Interior Designing. :rolleyes:

I'm going to say it....

I miss Tiki :( Loved watching him on the field.

Oh, I say it all the time. I was never afraid to admit how much I loved that guy when that shit was going on.

But honestly, I dont miss him as much anymore. A big reason was Jacobs at 1st, but now, since Ive witnessed A Bradshaw, thats the main reason. Bradshaw is going to be the SHIT in this league, just you watch. He will definatley make you forget Tiki, not to mention the rest of our deep RB roster.

I wonder if Tiki had it to do all over again would he have made the same choice, especially now that we went on to win the Super Bowl without him .

No matter what Tiki would say now, I know he would have stayed. If asked now, I bet he would say he wouldnt change anything. But thats bullshit.

And I hate to say this, cause I loved Tiki. But Im glad he did. We would have never saw Bradshaw this season other than a few returns.

I wonder if Tiki had it to do all over again would he have made the same choice, especially now that we went on to win the Super Bowl without him .

Jersey, I know Tiki said he was happy with his decision but every little league

football kid dreams of playing in the Super-Bowl and winning it in

front of 80-M people. I think Tiki would be lying to himself.

Its the biggest event in sports and he was a dollar short and a

day late with his timing. But maybe if he would have stayed the

Giants would'nt have made it to the big game.

Martin

Jersey, I know Tiki said he was happy with his decision but every little league

football kid dreams of playing in the Super-Bowl and winning it in

front of 80-M people. I think Tiki would be lying to himself.

Its the biggest event in sports and he was a dollar short and a

day late with his timing. But maybe if he would have stayed the

Giants would'nt have made it to the big game.

Martin

I think you're absolutely right. Had Tiki stayed, the offense would have continued to go through him. What was the percentage, something like 60% or more of the offense was on Tiki's shoulders? Tiki's leaving directly impacted Eli's emergence. There is no doubt, none whatsoever, in my mind that if Tiki stayed, we would not have won the superbowl.

And for the way Tiki acted not only during his retirement year, but in the year prior and the months after, I take pride in the fact that he doesn't have a ring to show for his efforts. Yes, he was a good player and carried this team to wins during his career, but the disgraceful way he conducted himself towards the end of his playing career was pathetically childish and disrespectful. I don't think I'm alone in that I lost a lot of respect, scratch that, all respect for Tiki as an individual. I can honor his play on the field. His conduct off the field was detrimental and should be looked upon as such thereby dimming his accomplishments on the field.

I think you're absolutely right. Had Tiki stayed, the offense would have continued to go through him. What was the percentage, something like 60% or more of the offense was on Tiki's shoulders? Tiki's leaving directly impacted Eli's emergence. There is no doubt, none whatsoever, in my mind that if Tiki stayed, we would not have won the superbowl.

And for the way Tiki acted not only during his retirement year, but in the year prior and the months after, I take pride in the fact that he doesn't have a ring to show for his efforts. Yes, he was a good player and carried this team to wins during his career, but the disgraceful way he conducted himself towards the end of his playing career was pathetically childish and disrespectful. I don't think I'm alone in that I lost a lot of respect, scratch that, all respect for Tiki as an individual. I can honor his play on the field. His conduct off the field was detrimental and should be looked upon as such thereby dimming his accomplishments on the field.

I agree with both you and Martin, I also am not sure if we would have made it to the SB if Tiki had stayed last year. As big an asset to the team as he was he was just as big a distraction in the locker room and I do think he intimidated Eli with his presence. If Eli plays better without big egos in the huddle then thats the way it has to be, if you don't fit you git...

I agree with both you and Martin, I also am not sure if we would have made it to the SB if Tiki had stayed last year. As big an asset to the team as he was he was just as big a distraction in the locker room and I do think he intimidated Eli with his presence. If Eli plays better without big egos in the huddle then thats the way it has to be, if you don't fit you git...

Glad you made it over here NJ.

People over here very intelligent and good folks

and your conversation will just compliment the group.

I hope the rest of the guys follow instead of trying to re-invent the wheel.

Most of us are all from the old Giants site and we might as well

come together.

Holy shit gmenroc, long time no see. How the hell you been? Unless Im just forgetting, I think the last time I saw you post was back in the giants.com days. But you got 14,000 posts, I dont know. Youve had that sig forever! How are you?